Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: MotoGP, Superbikes

1. 07-20-2008 06:55 PM #1
      I forgot what the old MotoGP thread from last year was.

Big bummer for Stoner He rode well and looked like he would just be patient, but Rossi got to him. Moves into 2nd in the champ though, 25 behind Rossi. Well done to Rossi, first win at Laguna. Was a great race for 1st upto Stoner leaving the track.

Few weeks break till the next race at Bruno, where Troy Bayliss has just smashed them. Corser also coming 2nd in race 1.

2. 07-21-2008 08:51 AM #2
      was great racing - rossi is one tough mofo. was interesting to see the on-screen telemetry which showed their different riding style. rossi fed and feathered throttle and brakes whereas stoner most of the time was either full throttle or brakes - appeared that he was relying heavily on the electronics. would be interesting to see how things would be if they got rid of traction control and braking aids.

check out stoner post race in parc ferme on the bbc broadcast -->

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/h...0.stm

3. 07-21-2008 09:02 AM #3
      Wow, I don't know what to think bout that. Some of the moves were intense, that cutting the corkscrew wasn't cool. But you know what, I'd rather he refused Rossi's handshake in public for all to see, then refuse it in private.

4. 07-21-2008 09:23 AM #4
      well all the race commentators, beattie and schwantz included, called it as good, close and fair racing. this isn't a knitting contest and as rossi said mate "that's racing".

5. 07-21-2008 09:31 AM #5
      When I was watching the race I thought Rossi was very aggressive in his bike placement while making passes. That move at the cockscrew was almost dangerous.

Stoner was clearly faster however Rossi wouldn't let him past and when he did he came straight back because he knew if Stoner had 1 lap of clear air he'd be gone. Rossi rode very very well.

I wish Stoner didn't make that mistake because I think it would've been an awesome battle over the last laps.

Lets see what happens in the next few races.

Rai, that on board telemetry is so how ya doin. It's all over the place. It shows the brake while the sound has them on the throttle.

6. 07-21-2008 09:32 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Rai »
      well all the race commentators, beattie and schwantz included, called it as good, close and fair racing. this isn't a knitting contest and as rossi said mate "that's racing".

Very true. Lets see how Rossi handles it when karma comes knocking for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcUI7Znm5ZU

7. 07-21-2008 10:52 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Flaps »

ha that was a classic moment with sete! look at any modern day motorsport legend - senna, prost, schumey - they were all ruthless and needed to be (brings back memories of senna and prost as teammates in mclaren!)

re. telemetry - even though its not in sync you can see the throttle and brake application between them is vastly different. will keep an eye out for it next round.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      07-21-2008 11:48 AM #8
      Looks like a good race.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

9. Senior Member
      07-21-2008 04:03 PM #9
      Was a funny one for Stoner. The back end stepped out under brakes and he went off but he was in control, then the soft surface on the kitty litter surpirsed him I think and dropped the bike. Otherwise he would have been 5 secs behind max, and he could have caught back up again. Because his ultimate pace is 0.5s a lap faster than Rossi. What a shame.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

10. 07-21-2008 07:40 PM #10

I remember that. Gibernau had only a decent season or so, but Rossi was and is pure class on the bike.

It reminded me of the Doohan and Criville days of the mid to late 90's.

Vehicles
      99 MKIV Golf GTI
      07-21-2008 08:19 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by vwlatino »
      It reminded me of the Doohan and Criville days of the mid to late 90's.

Indeed

Rossi has started to go back to the way he was riding a while ago, with no fear. He would have fitted well with Doohan and Criville, it was the regular thing back then !

12. 07-21-2008 08:54 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by DIDZ »

Indeed

Rossi has started to go back to the way he was riding a while ago, with no fear. He would have fitted well with Doohan and Criville, it was the regular thing back then !

don't forget Rossi has had two miserable years with inferior equipment (yamaha and michelin). the traction control and braking aids mean that that rider skill and experience factor has much less influence than the 2-stroke and 900cc era. that's why you see all the 250cc riders coming up to speed very quickly now. hopefully they reverse this out otherwise it will become more like the processional parade of F1.

13. 07-21-2008 09:11 PM #13
      the smell and the sound of the 500cc's was incredible.

I reckon the days of hard nutbags, Rainey, Shwantz, Gardner and Doohan were ace. Rossi would have fit in then too

The bikes were so crazy, the engines power was so far ahead of brakes, tyres and handling.

Vehicles
      Neunelfer und die grosser Diesel Tourenwagen
      07-21-2008 10:09 PM #14
      I remember those days well, it was very psychie. Doohan pwned Criville, you could see it in his eyes (Criville's) and same with Gibernau and Rossi. Those two were severly beaten before they even got onto the track...
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I am planning to keep this for awhile. I am deadly serious too.

15. 07-21-2008 10:18 PM #15
      I have every VHS tape of season highlights at home, the DUKE vid's from the 90's. I used to hang for them Stopped buying them a few years ago.

I was at Dick Smith a few weekends ago and in the big bins near the counter they had last years dvd and the 125&250 dvd for $2 each.

Best/Worst was Doohan V's Dickhe@d at Eastern Creek. I thought Doohan was going to punch his Spanish arse out in the garage after the race. Might have if the Tv wasn't there?

16. 08-17-2008 08:38 AM #16
      MotoGP just started on Ch10 HD in Sydney.

Who's watching???

17. Senior Member
      08-17-2008 09:35 AM #17
      Is Casey suffering from the Aussie choker syndrome?

18. 08-17-2008 07:39 PM #18
      Game over for Stoner

I can't see Rossi losing a 50 point lead.

Good to see West do well on the pig.

19. 10-02-2009 01:29 AM #19
      http://www.motogp.com/en/news/...ddock

Will be interesting to see how he goes, might need a few races to get back his mojo.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-02-2009 01:35 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by FL00DY »
      http://www.motogp.com/en/news/...ddock

Will be interesting to see how he goes, might need a few races to get back his mojo.

Looking forward to Sunday race.

The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

21. 10-02-2009 01:38 AM #21
      Casey will be quick but he'll be missing 'match fitness' as they say. Good to see him back, hopefully he found some character while fishing and surfing for 3 months.

22. 10-02-2009 02:45 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by J-Tim »

Looking forward to Sunday race.

Have a house on Lake Macq for the weekend, will be up late watching it I hope ... Might need a nap sunday arvo.

23. Senior Member
      10-02-2009 03:40 AM #23
      I think he will struggle as he is not physically fit. He hasn't been training at all during his break apparently.

24. 10-02-2009 03:53 AM #24
      Quote, originally posted by WAY »
      I think he will struggle as he is not physically fit. He hasn't been training at all during his break apparently.

Really? I doubt they'd let him back on the bike if that was the case, he'd be out after 5 laps.

25. Senior Member
      10-02-2009 04:14 AM #25

Really? I doubt they'd let him back on the bike if that was the case, he'd be out after 5 laps.

That's what I read on a bike site.

Just read an interview with Rossi. He is such a character. He rates Gibernau as the most satisfying to beat because they used to be friends and now there weren't anymore.

26. 10-02-2009 05:50 AM #26
      He rates Gibernau as the most satisfying to beat because they used to be friends and now there weren't anymore.

This didn't help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_zkBhUuc8o

Rossi dives up the inside out of control and punts Sete on the last corner of the Spainish GP. Rossi was booed wildly while on the podium. It's up there with some of Schumachers dirties.

27. Senior Member
      10-02-2009 08:35 AM #27

This didn't help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_zkBhUuc8o

Rossi dives up the inside out of control and punts Sete on the last corner of the Spainish GP. Rossi was booed wildly while on the podium. It's up there with some of Schumachers dirties.

I completely disagree. How was Rossi out of control? Because he lifts his foot off the peg? He does that all the time, even today. His bike was straight, he wasn't upright and he would have made the corner easily albeit with a slightly different line. Gibernau turned in on him. Rossi was 1/4 bike length AHEAD when Gibernau turned in on him. Go Rossi!

28. 10-02-2009 09:21 AM #28

I completely disagree. How was Rossi out of control? Because he lifts his foot off the peg? He does that all the time, even today. His bike was straight, he wasn't upright and he would have made the corner easily albeit with a slightly different line. Gibernau turned in on him. Rossi was 1/4 bike length AHEAD when Gibernau turned in on him. Go Rossi!

Sorry Wayne, did we just watch the same video? 1/4 Bike AHEAD? More like 1/4 BEHIND. Watch the onboard rear shot, you can still see Rossi's rear wheel when he nudges Gibernau, at best they were level. However Gibernau's problem was leaving Rossi enbough room.

Rossi can be great to watch, but he's the most cringe worthy as well.

29. Senior Member
      10-02-2009 09:34 AM #29

Sorry Wayne, did we just watch the same video? 1/4 Bike AHEAD? More like 1/4 BEHIND. Watch the onboard rear shot, you can still see Rossi's rear wheel when he nudges Gibernau, at best they were level. However Gibernau's problem was leaving Rossi enbough room.

Rossi can be great to watch, but he's the most cringe worthy as well.

Watch the helicopter view dude. When Sete started turning in, he was 1/4 bike behind, but he obviously carried more speed into the corner so by the time they touch, they were level.

30. Senior Member
      10-04-2009 08:59 AM #30
      Stoner qualified 3rd behind the two championship contender. Can't wait to watch the race in an hour. Btw, I would feel pretty crap if I was the Texan given that Stoner has been away for 3 races and comes back to qualify third. I don't think Nicky has qualified third all year long...

31. Member
      Vehicles
      911 SC IROC Rep | 997 911 Carerra S
      10-04-2009 09:35 AM #31
      Race is already on mate, in fact it is almost over, see you do get to watch motorsport live and without commercials if you're willing to let Pay TV bid on an equal playing field for content

I must say Casey has done himself proud so far in the race for his first race back after his break.

A great second place from Casey in his first race back, Rossi finishing in 4th should liven the championship up for the race at Philip Island

Cheers Al

Modified by Al Walker at 10:48 PM 10-4-2009

Modified by Al Walker at 11:06 PM 10-4-2009

My Garage
      My Build Thread
      People are mushy - Paul Hawkins on the merits of where to crash on the Targa Florio

32. Senior Member
      10-04-2009 11:01 AM #32
      Haha Al, I watched it without having to pay for it. I rather that. Besides, late night suits me. I only sleep 4 hours a night which is why you often see my post as the last ones here.

Anyway, great result by Stoner. Also, the championship is now getting very interesting! Hope Rossi can still win it though. Stoner is gonna come back and win it next year.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      911 SC IROC Rep | 997 911 Carerra S
      10-04-2009 11:43 AM #33
      Hey if you're happy with an inferior non live broadcast with commercials interrupting the action every 10 minutes all the power to you.
      My Garage
      My Build Thread
      People are mushy - Paul Hawkins on the merits of where to crash on the Targa Florio

34. Senior Member
      10-04-2009 11:45 AM #34
      Quote, originally posted by Al Walker »
      Hey if you're happy with an inferior non live broadcast with commercials interrupting the action every 10 minutes all the power to you.

All I see there is free free free.

35. 10-16-2009 01:41 AM #35
      Phillip Island is on this weekend. Casey's .135 down on Rossi, bout 6km/h faster top speed.

http://www.motogp.com/en/Resul...P/FP1

Casey aiming for 3 consecutive wins at the island as well.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast