2. Senior Member
      10-23-2011 05:32 AM #142
      RIP Marco.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-23-2011 05:33 AM #143
      Just heard the news about Simoncelli. That was just awful to watch. Horrible.

Vehicles
      Black Merc and a Box
      10-23-2011 05:37 AM #144
      Horrible footage..

RIP Marco.

I also feel for Edwards and Rossi.
      a V8 and N/A

5. Senior Member
      10-23-2011 05:50 AM #145
      I keep watching the clip on my phone, and I'm wondering, did Rossi hit Marco's helmet which caused it to dislodge? In any case I think he would have been dead before the helmet came off if Rossi did hit it.

6. 10-23-2011 06:16 AM #146
      Terrible accident, RIP Simoncelli

7. 10-23-2011 06:51 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by R32DBPGenV View Post
      Horrible footage..

RIP Marco.

I also feel for Edwards and Rossi.
      Same here, just horrendous - RIP Marco. Will be tough for Edwards and Rossi to deal with... just awful circumstances, nothing they could have done...

8. Member
      10-23-2011 07:28 AM #148
      Sh!thouse week in motorsport...

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      10-23-2011 07:44 AM #149
      I felt sick watching it.

But, not simplifying this and making it seem trivial - that is part of racing.

Vehicles
      Ibiza Cupra 16v
      10-23-2011 08:13 AM #150
      Channel 9 showing the accident in full on the commercial break news update is distasteful.

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      10-23-2011 03:56 PM #151
      Speechless. I don't want to watch the vid, what happened? RIP Marco.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-23-2011 07:18 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by monkeysrus View Post
      Speechless. I don't want to watch the vid, what happened? RIP Marco.
      I've only seen it briefly via news clips, but it looked like he took a wide line into a right hander and the dropped the front wheel in attempt to correct his line. That was pretty tame really, he was just unfortunate to fall across the racing line into the path of Edwards and Rossi behind.

Wrong place, wrong time.

13. Senior Member
      10-23-2011 08:30 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
      I've only seen it briefly via news clips, but it looked like he took a wide line into a right hander and the dropped the front wheel in attempt to correct his line. That was pretty tame really, he was just unfortunate to fall across the racing line into the path of Edwards and Rossi behind.

Wrong place, wrong time.

Absolutely. It wasn't a big crash by him, but sadly Edwards and Rossi just had no where to go. Really sad, good rider too and potential future world champ material.

14. 10-23-2011 09:06 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post

Wrong place, wrong time.

First thing I thought when I saw it, apart from horror, is that it was a 'freak accident' - like you say, wrong place, wrong time. If he'd just kept sliding he'd have ended up in the kitty litter with a few bruises and at worst a broken bone or two. Edwards and Rossi wouldn't have known what hit them

10-23-2011 09:16 PM #155
      Very sad. From what I have heard, the one grace is that his death was very sudden, doing something he loved

16. Member
      Vehicles
      911 SC IROC Rep | 997 911 Carerra S
      10-23-2011 09:28 PM #156
      A sad week for motorsport overall and our thoughts are with his family, friends, competitors and team.

I was watching the race and it was pretty obvious immediately it wasn't going to be good news. What happened was he lost the front end in the right hander and he tried to recover it by riding it on his right knee and keeping the throttle in rather than letting it just wash out off the track to the left, this caused the bike to grip up and drive back to the right across the racing line and into the path of Edwards and Rossi who had absolutely no where to go.

RIP Marco and Dan...
      My Garage
      My Build Thread
      People are mushy - Paul Hawkins on the merits of where to crash on the Targa Florio

17. 10-23-2011 10:17 PM #157
      couldn't not belive what I saw.............very strange the bike took him back onto the racing line and for him to be hanging on.

no doubt Rossi will hang up his shoes now............

Wish I never saw the guy...........such a likeable charater.
      WOT and Compression braking around CBD

18. 10-23-2011 11:45 PM #158
      just watched the video, so, so horrible. very sickening footage.
      the guy was so full of life.
      rossi and edwards will have nightmares for the rest of their lives, very, very bad situation for them.
      rossi could have retired years ago....but that is life, it can bite.

19. 10-23-2011 11:47 PM #159
      I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rossi retires at the end of this season.

20. 10-23-2011 11:58 PM #160
      i'd imagine that would be for certain, but too late, his life is farked now.
      even worse for the other guy who had initial impact.

21. 10-24-2011 01:58 AM #161
      It's as though simo's bike shot out from left field too............

I though of Rossi retiring but man if he does this would be with him for ever............vs going on and letting it pass.
      WOT and Compression braking around CBD

Vehicles
      E82 135i, B7 S4 Avant
      10-24-2011 03:15 AM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by Al Walker View Post
      he tried to recover it by riding it on his right knee and keeping the throttle in rather than letting it just wash out off the track to the left
      And it's lucky that he didn't take out Rossi & Edwards too.

He was clearly a talented rider and quite a likeable guy, but he was also a loose cannon and it was only a matter of time before he got himself into a serious accident. It's a shame that he didn't have enough of a chance to settle down and get into the rhythm of riding at the top level.

23. 10-25-2011 04:31 AM #163
      I had heard this happenned, but didn't think it was true.

Great for his unstable cervical #.

24. Senior Member
      10-25-2011 04:37 AM #164
      I don't think it mattered. I think he was well and truly dead anyway.

25. 10-25-2011 05:37 AM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I don't think it mattered. I think he was well and truly dead anyway.
      You're probably right. But that's not the point.

Let's assume. We know he underwent a cardiorespiratory arrest in the ambulance. He was struck in the head and neck, with an unstable cervical fracture. By dropping him, the fracture has now displaced, severing his spinal cord connections, in particular to his diaphragm and his sympathetic supply to his heart. Kinda hard to recover from that. Assuming he wasn't dropped, then the catastrophic brain injury likely would've got him in the end, or the multi-organ dysfunction during the inevitable ICU admit. Iatrogenic injury is unacceptable in my opinion.

I understand that they're volunteer marshalls, heck I'm one. I've lost count of the number of weekends I've given up to standing around on a track, or in a car for jack all to happen. But the day's of just being there, being good enough are long gone. We've got a massive body of data of research about trauma and ways with which we should be dealing with it. Training of these marshalls should be teaching them these processes, so much so that they're second nature when an incident occurs. And running with a spine board is unforgiveable. Our practices in our medical organisation is the same as the local rounds at Sandown, as it is when we're doing F1 events. Whilst the FIA is starting to try and think about improving training, it's incidents like these that will provide real impetus for proper training, rather then ad-hoc standards. Which will then hopefully filter down for all forms of motorsport.

Practicle example of this would be singapore F1 this year. This was the first year we weren't there to provide training to the medical officials. I watched their medical team put a collar on a patient post rollover of an open wheeler, then put him lying half in/out of a car, kick the nurse out of the car because there wasn't room and drive back to the medical centre. I was speechless. The best trauma course currently out here, which has been disseminated across the world was started when a surgeon recognized that the inadequate treatment that his family recieved by a people not familiar with trauma, or having systems to deal with him. Since the ATLS/EMST has come about, the management of trauma has come leaps and bounds.

Sorry for this rant, but it's becoming a bit of a personal bug bear of mine.
      Last edited by smarm; 10-25-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-25-2011 06:11 AM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      And running with a spine board is unforgiveable.
      This.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

27. Senior Member
      10-25-2011 06:33 AM #167

Let's assume. We know he underwent a cardiorespiratory arrest in the ambulance. He was struck in the head and neck, with an unstable cervical fracture. By dropping him, the fracture has now displaced, severing his spinal cord connections, in particular to his diaphragm and his sympathetic supply to his heart. Kinda hard to recover from that. Assuming he wasn't dropped, then the catastrophic brain injury likely would've got him in the end, or the multi-organ dysfunction during the inevitable ICU admit. Iatrogenic injury is unacceptable in my opinion.

I understand that they're volunteer marshalls, heck I'm one. I've lost count of the number of weekends I've given up to standing around on a track, or in a car for jack all to happen. But the day's of just being there, being good enough are long gone. We've got a massive body of data of research about trauma and ways with which we should be dealing with it. Training of these marshalls should be teaching them these processes, so much so that they're second nature when an incident occurs. And running with a spine board is unforgiveable. Our practices in our medical organisation is the same as the local rounds at Sandown, as it is when we're doing F1 events. Whilst the FIA is starting to try and think about improving training, it's incidents like these that will provide real impetus for proper training, rather then ad-hoc standards. Which will then hopefully filter down for all forms of motorsport.

Practicle example of this would be singapore F1 this year. This was the first year we weren't there to provide training to the medical officials. I watched their medical team put a collar on a patient post rollover of an open wheeler, then put him lying half in/out of a car, kick the nurse out of the car because there wasn't room and drive back to the medical centre. I was speechless. The best trauma course currently out here, which has been disseminated across the world was started when a surgeon recognized that the inadequate treatment that his family recieved by a people not familiar with trauma, or having systems to deal with him. Since the ATLS/EMST has come about, the management of trauma has come leaps and bounds.

I see a future for you as the Medical lead for FIA/FIM! Give up your course now and bow to what you were destined to do. You have the passion and the practical experience.

28. 10-25-2011 07:28 AM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      I see a future for you as the Medical lead for FIA/FIM! Give up your course now and bow to what you were destined to do. You have the passion and the practical experience.
      Heh, A FIA post is on the career roadmap at some point, tho the politics in Australia alone do my head in

29. 10-25-2011 07:51 AM #169
      On CAMS politics: did you see Darren Heaths posts on Twitter while he was in Korea?
      He has NO time for CAMS - I've had a good chat with him a couple of times when he's been here:

F1Photographer Darren Heath
      No CAMS dramas to report from #f1korea qualifying. One actually stopped a local marshal from moving me.... Wonders will never cease!

F1Photographer Darren Heath
      @jackmegawphoto CAMS - Confederation of Australian Motor Sport They provide officials & marshals at 6 (incBahrain) #f1 gp. Ultra officious.

As for marshals and medics being volunteers, I have a (possibly delusional) theory, that by having volunteers rather than professionals, you get people who actually choose to be there due to a passion for the sport. Most of the time this translates to people who actually care and do a good job. That said, I've also had some dead set nuffies working on corners I've been on, one guy in particular on my corner last year would be close to the stupidest person I've ever had the displeasure of having to spend 4 days with. Quite astonishingly obtuse.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-25-2011 08:55 PM #170
      Thoughts from Simoncelli's father...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95668

31. Member
      Vehicles
      08 KYMCO 125; 08 Kawi Ninja 6R; 08 E60
      10-26-2011 12:58 AM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by Paolo Simoncelli
      I took the stretcher to place it in the ambulance and held Marco's hand and called him 'Ciao Marco', but he was gone already.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95668

32. 10-26-2011 07:15 AM #172

Are you seriously suggesting that getting hit by a speeding motorbike hard enough to cause an unstable c spine # and dislodge his helmet did NOT pith him, but dropping him 2 feet did?
      Really, I'm all for solid protocols but let's argue for them with evidence, not with fantasy like your conjecture above, it's just disrespectful.

33. 10-26-2011 08:02 AM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by plastic View Post
      Are you seriously suggesting that getting hit by a speeding motorbike hard enough to cause an unstable c spine # and dislodge his helmet did NOT pith him, but dropping him 2 feet did?
      Really, I'm all for solid protocols but let's argue for them with evidence, not with fantasy like your conjecture above, it's just disrespectful.
      No of course I wasn't. He had injuries incompatible with life. Obvious as the hairs in langers nostrils. I was hypothesizing a situation that could've played out. The protocols and introduced and being propogated are as evidenced based as these trauma things can be. For those playing at home and interested: http://medicineinmotersport.fiainstitute.com/

Iatrogenic injury is unacceptable in my opinion.
      This was the point I was trying to make.

Anyway, until the FIM decide that resuscitation in situ is acceptable, the process of moving aponoeic riders will continue. Apparently this also happenned to the poor Moto2 rider in italy last year.

Anyone read the story on autosport about his dad? Wow.
      Last edited by smarm; 10-26-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-26-2011 03:51 PM #174
      Scalpels at thirty paces.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

10-26-2011 04:56 PM #175
      He had injuries incompatible with life..
      That was my opinion. the stretcher drop was just a very bad look

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast