Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: '03 Passat W8: Torque Converter and Cam Adjuster Problem in last 10 days

1. 12-12-2008 07:20 PM #36
      Maybe you should drive HARD like I did lol. My W8 bounced off the rev limiter many a time, saw many a top speed run, drove from north Jersey to Myrtle Beach, SC in 8hrs 45min - actual driving time ALLEGEDLY. Stopped for an hour for fuel and food at 1am. Other than the 3 items I listed previously, loved and still love the car. Replaced rear pads at 40K, plugs were clean at 40K when I replaced them. I wish I still had it. It's still not out of the realm of possibility for me to end up with another 6 speed in the near future...
      Dubs of days gone by -
      85 GTI - Black 5spd
      86 Jetta Coupe - White 5spd
      01 Passat GLX - Indigo Blue 5 spd
      03 Passat W8 6 spd - Pacific Blue

2. 12-12-2008 10:27 PM #37
      .........And if your carpet had been wet for 3 years because the factory forgot to seal the floor pan to the firewall and the fire wall to the transmission tunnel you wouldn't be upset and demanding new carpet?

You must be one of those little sissy guys that everyone picks on.

Get over it SISSY! The W8 is a P.O.S. It was a great idea. It didn't work. Must be why they quit making it.

Even the VW dealers advise people that have them to get rid of them.

My Service Manager today asked me to not judge VW as a company based on the problems with the W8. I was blown away.

However, I completely understand where he's coming from. I work for a company that has to sell what they design/build. I'm a Mechanical Engineer responsible for quality. If something as bad as the W8 got out the door to our customers they would fire me.

Vehicles
      83 mercedes 300D
      12-13-2008 08:43 PM #38
      You people are RIDICULOUS!!!! Out of thousands of cars made some will be bad, parts can be made poorly. I'm looking at getting a w8 so I came to read up on the motor and all I see is 10 or so people complaining about how much it sucks. I'm not saying the motor isn't flawed but if you don't like it that much, ready here comes something no one seems to get, SELL IT! Out of all the people talking about the cam adjusters being replaced and having to deal with all this crap it seems that all of you still own the car so you must like something about it...
      To mister un4givun2 I think your service center just sucks... Just because they work there doesn't mean they are good at what they do...
      As for this VW tech that told you there was no difference between the parts... I call B.S. just because he is a tech does mean he knows everything. They don't make a new rev. of a part unless a change is made. As for oil pressure, vr's run high oil pressure and they don't blow their parts to pieces. As far as a recall goes, maybe the issue isn't as wide spread as you think it is or they would have. Car company's will do multiple recall of a part that has gone through a recall already. I had a Mountaineer and they did 3 or 4 recalls on the heater box with a new part design every time, and they recalled it because the problem was wide spread. Yes they will tell you to get a different car... because they sell cars!!!! Thats what they want people to do or maybe they are just tired of you complaining about this one... Every car has problems and some are worse that other and some cars are built poorly from the factory. If you don't like it that much SELL IT!

4. 12-14-2008 10:03 PM #39
      Do you think anyone would buy this car after doing a CARFAX? THis car has had everything replaced except the suspension, seats and the paint.

It was for sale 6 months prior to the factory warranty expiring. My wife and I knew we had to sell it before the warranty expired because there was no way we could afford to keep it running. It didn't sell. At that point, I was forced to buy a 48K/4year extended warranty for $5,000.00 or risk it breaking down with no coverage. That more or less married me to this car.

As for my VW Service Station "sucking", there's little I can do about it. They are the only game in town. It's not that small of a town @ 800,000 (over 1.5 million when you include the border towns), but there is only one VW dealer. That's what sucks! If they had some competition they might be compelled to do a better job.

Modified by un4givun2 at 3:31 AM 12-15-2008

Vehicles
      Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8t,Audi S6, VW Lupo 1.8t, 16v Scirocco
      12-15-2008 05:13 AM #40
      Quote, originally posted by KubvanTurbo »
      I would never tow a race car with a passat ; thats not right... get a truck!

why?
      my previous audi s8 towed perfectly well.
      truck is not what i want, car which can tow, be daily driven, practical for carrying race weekend stuff is all i want.

why would the passat be such a bad tow car then?

GT35R, Full-Race, DTA S60, SEM, WMI, 8 injectors, SQS Transmission, 1000kg car, >500bhp, Racecar (circuit)
      www.badger5.co.uk

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      12-15-2008 06:39 PM #41
      Quote, originally posted by un4givun2 »
      .........And if your carpet had been wet for 3 years because the factory forgot to seal the floor pan to the firewall and the fire wall to the transmission tunnel you wouldn't be upset and demanding new carpet?

lol my dealer got an 03 w8 6mt from the auction a month ago. It to had flooded floor in the front. But it was because the sunroof drain was clogged with beach sand
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

Vehicles
      83 mercedes 300D
      12-15-2008 07:16 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by un4givun2 »

As for my VW Service Station "sucking", there's little I can do about it. They are the only game in town. It's not that small of a town @ 800,000 (over 1.5 million when you include the border towns), but there is only one VW dealer.Modified by un4givun2 at 3:31 AM 12-15-2008

Yea that is crappy. I have been denied service from the dealership back home on my corrado just on the basis that it was a corrado. They said "with how little where made the parts are expensive, and the age of the car the parts are worn and starting to break so if we go fix one thing but 4 other things break while we fix the first one we a liable to fix the other 4 so we just wont work on them" I'll give them 2 point for being honest and -1 for denying service on a vw.

I think you happen to get a car that was very poorly built and it sucks that happens but, it can and does happen with every car maker.

True point about the Carfax. All dealer service is listed on them, hence why I used it when looking into the w8 and my local dealership. Though I did buy a car once with a clean Carfax and the motor turned out to have a blown head gasket that the seller of the car clean up all evidence of so then I had to rebuild the motor and replace most of the coolant system. Carfax can't stop all dishonest people.

In your situation you did get stuck with the car.
      Also sorry for calling you out in my rant, it was undeserved.
      I was exceptionally pissed of that day.

8. 12-15-2008 08:34 PM #43
      Noproblem man. I sensed something besides my W8 bashing was bothering you. If it did bother you I appologize. I know all these negative post have got to get on everyone's nerves.

On the + side, this is the best car I've ever driven for traction, handling, performance, and ride. I don't think there is a better balanced car on the road. Any car that rides better than this car will handle worse. Any car that handles better than this car will definitely ride worse. I can't think of any car with a better traction control. There are many cars in it's class that will out accelerate it, but none of them will do it on wet payment, ice, or gravel. There are very few sacrifices you have to make to drive this car.

It's a crying shame VW won't step in and fix the problem with the engine. I've owned a VW of some kind ever since 1983. I've ridden in a VW all my life since my parents and grandparents all had VW's. This W8 may very well be my last VW if they don't do something.

Vehicles
      83 mercedes 300D
      12-15-2008 09:29 PM #44
      It wasn't you w8 bashing (thought it is nice to hear the car has some good points) I was pissed of already and it fell on you. I've never bought a car from a dealership so I have never had to deal with there service so I might soon have the same complaints about them as you. Though the parts department back home did give me a discount on anything i bought.

The thing is vw has put w engine in other vehicles(or at least designed them) beside this car. Engines that where also used for much high hp (generating more heat and pressure) applications so you think they would be about to take care of this problem that people are having.

10. 12-15-2008 11:24 PM #45
      Retarded, the whole thread has gone retarded ..

Tow a race car with a car. Tarded
      I'm a sissy W8 lover. Tarded
      My dealer hates me and keeps my car too long. Tarded

Last I checked this was a VW Fan page. Not "I hate / pos / name calling" site.

Vehicles
      83 mercedes 300D
      12-15-2008 11:51 PM #46

why is it just about every thread you are in you talk like some know it all, i'm better than every one d-bag? none of that had anything to do with you so why involve yourself??

12. 12-16-2008 07:06 AM #47
      Man, I changed my oil last night after an 800 mile break in. I took it out to test the new motor and it feels like it is up at least 40% on the HP. I can't remember this car ever running this good. I've owned it since 20K miles & now it has 77K.

I even had a short street race with a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. NO CONTEST!!

Another victim of the WAGON.

13. 12-16-2008 10:44 AM #48
      At least i own 2 W8's and not a 85 Jetta

Why are you posting in W8?

Quote, originally posted by sicktertothemax »

why is it just about every thread you are in you talk like some know it all, i'm better than every one d-bag? none of that had anything to do with you so why involve yourself??

14. 12-16-2008 11:44 AM #49
      You want to buy a W8, eh?

Why don't you buy mine? It's for sale (and been for sale) on this website! It's been for sale on many lists--no takers. It's been almost 4 months and no takers.

Put your money where your mouth is and buy my W8!!!

If you really like this car and want to buy one, here is one for you--BUY IT!!
      BUY MINE!!!

Vehicles
      12-16-2008 12:19 PM #50

you must feel right at home.. retard that you clearly seem to be.
      nothing constructive to add then I suggest you **** off

you sir seem a complete arse

w4nker

Modified by badger5 at 5:21 PM 12-16-2008

GT35R, Full-Race, DTA S60, SEM, WMI, 8 injectors, SQS Transmission, 1000kg car, >500bhp, Racecar (circuit)
      www.badger5.co.uk

Vehicles
      83 mercedes 300D
      12-16-2008 12:28 PM #51
      At least i own 2 W8's and not a 85 Jetta

at least you own 2 w8's? well you still sound like your 5 says stuff like that.

well i think we can add to the list of what the site isn't, an elitist game of who was the biggest junk. though you do seem to think it is...

usually i don't nitpick but... nice job trying to make a point and contradicting it in the same statement.

Modified by sicktertothemax at 9:31 AM 12-16-2008

17. 12-16-2008 08:51 PM #52
      eat me
      Your from fort collins and just a one more internet crybaby
      One more local vw dork... Why I dropped vw from my company and never been better.. It not the car I cant stand, Its the owners like you.

Vehicles
      83 mercedes 300D
      12-16-2008 09:08 PM #53
      eat me
      Your from fort collins and just a one more internet crybaby
      One more local vw dork... Why I dropped vw from my company and never been better.. It not the car I cant stand, Its the owners like you.

i have never meet one person from boulder that wasn't pretentious and your no exception. Don't lump me in with the rest of the colorado scene. i'm not from here i and i think the owners here blow... if i hear one more a hole here talk about his stage3 1.8t that he did no work on and then tries to tell me my diesel has a vagcom and "efi"... i'll sell too. i dislike most of the people in the scene because they act like you.
      as for internet crybaby... couldn't be farther from the truth this is the one and only time (probably last) i have ever got into some dumb internet argument and it only because you had to put your 2 cent in on something that didn't involve you...

19. 12-16-2008 10:24 PM #54
      Below is a quote/report from Edmunds.com on the W8 Passat:

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswa....html

Apparently, almost every W8 suffers from a cam adjuster problem that costs approx $10K, and takes a month, to fix. The part has a design flaw, which VW of America has fixed, but they will not offer any warranty help, or support their dealers, who often can't fix these cars.Between the cost of the parts and the constant problems, a W8 cost more than a Porsche to run. Not a car for real world applications.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      This annalysis comes from an outsider who's job is to do nothing but to criticize/praise cars and the manufacturers that build them.

Here is what Mr. Ed says should be done:

Suggested Improvements:
      Recall, engine swap, free extended warranty, loaner cars, something to help those who have invested in this product and are now stuck with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Here's an even more interesting web site to check out:

http://boardreader.com/tp/W8.html

It gives statistical data on topics such as VW W8. According to BoardReader.com the topic "W8" was discussed 15,078 times on 977 sites in last 3 months.

Say what you want about anybody on this site blowing up over the problems they have experienced with this W8. All it's going to get you is more arguments. But Hey! If that's what you like I'm game. That means I can be nice to everyone else on this forum.

Modified by un4givun2 at 7:28 PM 12-16-2008

20. 12-17-2008 02:47 AM #55
      Quote, originally posted by sicktertothemax »

Don't lump me in with the rest of the colorado scene. i'm not from here i and i think the owners here blow... .

I all ready have. maybe you missed it on the last post.

I have two W8's and you have. none..
      got anymore? your just like the rest of the colorado stalking dub clan.
      Good luck with that.

A quick search of your post proves it. 20 something colorado noob. who has no reason to be in the W8 forum what so ever.

At this point we have 150,000 miles on our two W8's and They are awesome cars. Just as long as you can afford them when they need service.

Modified by KubvanTurbo at 11:51 PM 12-16-2008

21. 12-17-2008 04:43 AM #56
      You're right. If you have loads of extra money the W8 is not just fantastic, but extraordinary. If you are an average citizens who expects reliability alongside performance then roll the dice and try an S4, A6, A3 Audi or similar. Cost to fix still very high, but reliability less flawed (hopefully)

In the end though, my W8 was hands down this is the best car I have ever had the pleasure of driving in the snow. And I live in snow country. Nothing better then smoking someone off the line in a wagon with a car seat either. Nothing, I mean nothing, got a better jump then that W8 on ice. That said, tho-

I expect a torque converter to last more than 28 thousand miles (mine failed under warranty fortunately) and a cam adjuster to last more than 52 thousand miles. A ten thousand dollar engine fix is just so absolutely insane that its not even worth arguing about. Its a known problem that VWOA is literally pretending that they don't know it exists. If you guys want to be collectively pissed at someone - right your next rant to them.

I hope your luck holds out and that, if you need to, you keep saving spare change and steeling from the college kids fund to pay for the upcoming cam adjuster. The writing is on the wall. My car was impeccably maintained but in the end got burned anyway. Enjoy it, good luck, be happy that Edmunds has caught on to the problem because now that it is becoming undeniable maybe VWOA will have to do something. Oh yeah, and bashing people who got burned by their favorite car is just ignorant. Chances are you will be in the same boat sooner or later.

22. 12-17-2008 10:21 AM #57
      Well said, alaskadub.

As detuned as the 4.0L 8cly is there's no reason it shouldn't go 200,000 miles before any major mechanical problem occurs.

Anyone who hasn't had a cam adjuster problem is blessed.

For 10K there is almost no engine you can't buy brand new. Even the VR6 can be bought brand new for under $5K. $6 or $7K would be way too much to pay for an engine that only makes 270HP and gets 20mpg. This engine retails for more than $20,000.00!!!! That's NASCAR territory!

Vehicles
      12-17-2008 03:21 PM #58
      well normal v8 power is what i shall be returning to. Audi S8 4.2 which in my experience have been extremely reliable to the 173k miles when i stupidly sold it on.
      W8 looked appealing, but everything i hear says "walk away", aside from the cobble man with 2 of them.. lol enjoy them.
      hope they bring you everything you wish for.

www.badger5.co.uk

24. 12-17-2008 07:05 PM #59
      Its not to say that other motors don't have cam adjuster failures too (they do). Its just not a 7,000 to 10,000 dollar labor event when they fail on other models like an A4, a Dodge or whatever. Good decision making, by the way. Still not sure if there is a real problem here? Do a W8 search on Auto trader and you will be surprised at all of the 'great deals' that are being offered on low mileage, well cared for W8s. Its a shame - really.

Vehicles
      83 mercedes 300D
      12-17-2008 09:09 PM #60

A quick search of your post proves it. 20 something colorado noob. who has no reason to be in the W8 forum what so ever.
      Modified by KubvanTurbo at 11:51 PM 12-16-2008

Post count? here is a phrase for you, name change...

my reason for being the the w8 forum. research on the motor to deside if i was going to buy one...

"20 something colorado noob" haha funny, but not even close... i hope by the time i'm 43, i'm doing something better than e-thugin on vortex... good luck with that.

26. 12-18-2008 07:07 AM #61
      Remember the reply on 12-12-08 where you said you were moving on?

Obviously, you lied..............

Why are you so concerned about the value of your 2 P.O.S. W8's in the first place? You love them so much! Why would you ever consider selling them?

Modified by un4givun2 at 8:28 PM 12-18-2008

27. 12-18-2008 01:32 PM #62
      Being a special limited production model is no excuse for poor quality and bad design. The W8 was supposed to take VW to the next level.

To accept this total flop of a car (W8) and write it off as a typical high performance low production number car is B.S.

If Ford can put an engine in the Taurus that was meant to go in a 2 seater sports car and make it reliable and blow the doors off Cameros and Mustangs then surely VW can purposely design a real car like the W8 and make it reliable.

Modified by un4givun2 at 8:26 PM 12-18-2008

28. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi TT Roadster, 2014 VW Jetta GLI, 1992 Corrado VR6 S/C, 2001 Honda VFR800
      12-18-2008 02:07 PM #63
      Let's keep this on topic, please...
      Formerly Anthony@VMG

29. 12-25-2008 01:11 PM #64
      so w8's are crap boxs then all you guys are saying... im on like my 10th vr and iv never had a major issue besides trannys. so you cant talk down all vw's. do you guys really think vwoa is unaware of these problems with the w8. trust me i bet it wasn't a mistake they stopped selling them b4 any of these issues arouse...

30. Member
      Vehicles
      El Camino
      12-25-2008 03:26 PM #65
      you will need a tow vehicle for the w8, not the other way around. b5 passats other than v6 are to be avoided by non-masochists, what other car has routine catastrophic engine failures even with routine oil changes? 2wd manual trans v6 is the way to go, and even then you'll still have to deal with water leaks, abs modules, cv joints, and a cost of around $1200 to do your t-belt. this is the lesser of 4 evils. btw: to the w8 guru guy, what's the secret to getting the chain timing correct? I did chains and adjusters on one and it misfired and threw allocation faults. I tore it back apart and got all 8 marks to line up, turned it over and over and couldn't find a problem, cams indexed correctly, etc. vw ended up sending me a new engine instead so I never figured out what went wrong.

31. 12-29-2008 01:40 AM #66
      two wheel drive, v6

haha
      haha

take that to ski and you'll never get there in time.

32. 12-29-2008 07:09 AM #67
      That's the same thing the VW dealership here did to me. They had the engine out 3 times for cam adjuster replacement. The last 2 times they had a VW tech flown in to check everything. Each time they reistalled it and fired it up it threw a different cam timing code. After all of that and 8 weeks in the shop they suddenly found excess metal in the oil and said the engine need replacing. They put a used engine that had 30K fewer miles on it than mine. I argued with them to put the new adjusters on that engine before installing it. They refused to do it. My argument was that this engine would suffer the same problem withing the next year if not sooner. I even told them it might not make it out of their shop. They put that used engine in and it threw a code for the cam adjusters the first time they fired it up. I had to pay almost $5,000.00 over what my extended warranty would pay so I could get a brand new engine. The entire event took over 12 weeks and over $22,000.00.

33. 03-04-2009 05:35 PM #68
      VWTECHBOB$

Do you have a number for the shop you have in San Jose, I'm looking for an independent shop to work on my W8.

Matt

34. 03-25-2009 10:46 PM #69
      Hello all, It took me awhile but I'm finally jumping in on this conversation... been watching from afar for months w/ great interest. Here's the deal: I've owned my '04 W8 6-spd since April '08 (10 months); bought it w/ 32K and just hit 50K. God I love this car! But it scares the hell out of me. It was pretty much cherry when I bought it... and it's still almost like new. Seemed like the two previous owners must have barely driven it much in 4 yrs? 10 days after I bought it a fan switch failed and it overheated in traffic. The used car dealer covered the $1500 repair but had it over a week (they didn't blink an eye when I called that the car just broke down w/ an overheating problem... hmmm?). Then I had a couple mechanics (including a former certified VW tech who was now running a hi-tech tuner shop) tell me that they really weren't interested in getting involved with the service of my W8... hmmm? This all caused me to start looking for sites & topics like this... and stress out. I have an aftermarket warranty that I've used a couple times for other problems like a new radiator, etc a month ago w/ fair results (cost me $170 deductible & co-pay but it saved me over $600) but I don't know how well it would protect me if I catch the dreaded Cam Adjuster bug. That is IF I catch it before I sell it. Simply can't afford an $8K fix, period. God I love driving this car!

I have several questions: are there any warning signs? Steps besides more frequent oil changes that can prevent? I've changed oil every 7K but I guess I may switch from Castrol to something better. Does the cam adjuster failure happen more frequently in either the auto or stick? Is there anyone out there that has high miles on a W8 and never had this problem or is it simply a FACT that it WILL happen to all... and will it, sooner or later, actually happen again after it has been repaired/replaced? Can I tell you how much enjoy driving this car... when its running well!

Thanks for any advice.

35. 03-26-2009 06:42 AM #70
      I know what you mean. I like driving this car too much. When I think about the $34,000.00 I've spent in 2 years to keep it running it sends chills down my spine. I'm actually out about $12,000.00 in out of pocket expenses.

One problem I have, that no one else seams to have, is the tires/wheels. This car is very heavy for it's size. The tires are maxed out for the load rating. There's no fix for this because bigger wheels and tires won't clear the suspension components and/or the fenders.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast