Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 5 speed Manual vs 6 speed Auto

Vehicles
      2010/VW/Passat - 2009/VW/Jetta/Sportwagen
      07-26-2008 03:36 PM #1
      I'm looking at a Jetta Sportwagen SE 2.5 5cyl.
      I drove the auto and it was okay. I have never owned an auto, but it seemed okay.

They didn't have a manual on the lot but can get one. I may go drive a jetta or rabbit manual as a comparison.

I'm looking for opinions from anyone who has driven both the 2.5L VW in an auto and manual. Which do you prefer and why?

Vehicles
      03 Bora Variant 1.8T, 07 Golf 2.5, 08 Polo 9n3 1.4TDI, 14 Tiguan S 6mt
      07-26-2008 03:39 PM #2
      Quote, originally posted by DiscoStu »
      I drove the auto and it was okay. I have never owned an auto, but it seemed okay.

They didn't have a manual on the lot but can get one. I may go drive a jetta or rabbit manual as a comparison.

I'm looking for opinions from anyone who has driven both the 2.5L VW in an auto and manual. Which do you prefer and why?

I have both of those worlds. Check my sig.

AUTO is much more fuel efficient but Manual is more fun. Make your choise.

I get 360-420 per tank on auto and 260-300 on manual.

GET MANUAL

3. 07-26-2008 03:46 PM #3
      The Tiptronic on the 2.5 is nowhere near what the DGS is. Everyone is going to say Manual. I drive the auto and have not had a single glitch with it...I have seen a lot of QQ'ing about cluches going bad in the 2.5. If you are't going to be racing which hello, yer buying a sportwagon..I'd probably go w/ the Tiptronic. Its reliable, smooth easy to use, wont give you any fuss and gives you plenty of power when you need it! I live in Miami and yah I could get use to the stop and go and be happy with a manual but I'd rather talk on the cell phones, hold my gf's hand, pick my nose scratch my balls or anything else than to constantly go from first to second, stop put the car in neutral..rinse and repeat for 20mins a day.

Modified by miamidubthing at 12:50 PM 7-26-2008

Vehicles
      '10 Jetta TDI, '13 Cruze Eco
      07-26-2008 04:19 PM #4
      The 2.5 is so much better when mated to a manual.

Vehicles
      07-26-2008 04:27 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by silverA4quattro »

Why?

Vehicles
      07-26-2008 04:32 PM #6

Why?

You just have so much more control over it, as with any other manual car. It also feels so much more lively with the regular manual.

My advice is: If you're a manual type of guy, stick with what you know. Our GTI is Tiptronic and while I love it, I really wish it was manual. I have much more fun in my Rabbit.

7. 07-26-2008 04:40 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by silverA4quattro »

You are considering the application right? lets refresh, Jetta sportwagon, its not going to be as fun as a rabbit or a GTI. Its the logical alternative to a SUV or a minivan. There is a good chance he will be buying it to carry large items or family members with luggage quite often. Yes you will have more control over the power, but its not always realistic.

Vehicles
      07-26-2008 04:48 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by miamidubthing »

You are considering the application right? lets refresh, Jetta sportwagon, its not going to be as fun as a rabbit or a GTI. Its the logical alternative to a SUV or a minivan. There is a good chance he will be buying it to carry large items or family members with luggage quite often. Yes you will have more control over the power, but its not always realistic.

True, but understand this: I would prefer an A8 with a 6 speed manual. I'm a little off my rocker.

Vehicles
      07-26-2008 04:49 PM #9
      The plan for the Jetta Sportwagen if to be used as a family hauler.
      There will be ZERO modification. Total utility.

It appears that the VW auto has come a long way. It's also $1100 more than the standard.

I'm really on the fence.

10. 07-26-2008 05:08 PM #10
      I have the Auto 6 Tip and I like it. For the application of "family hauler" SUV/minivan alternative its a really good choice but that is my honest opinion. Get the stick if you want to race, get the auto for convienence. The 6 speed auto I think actually gets hair better gas milage than the manual 5 speed or equil and cruises and really low rpms on the highway.

Vehicles
      2008 VW Rabbit
      07-26-2008 06:26 PM #11
      I personally purchased my Rabbit with the automatic transmission for a few reasons: 1)because of my commute to work, I can't stand stop-go traffic in a manual vehicle. 2)I also purchased it because it was rated higher in fuel economy. 3)I wanted the extra gear so I could be at a lower RPM when driving at high speeds; ie: highway.

Overall, I play with the tiptronic portion of it and have found that you can shift at very low RPM's, increasing my fuel economy even more.

Quote Originally Posted by TrillyPop View Post
      The 2.5L forum is full of high hopes and huge disappointment.
      MKV Rabbit Dyno Thread
      MKIII Cabrio Build Thread

07-26-2008 09:18 PM #12
      The auto REALLY sucks until it learns your driving style - I hated my '08 2.5/Auto loaner for the first couple of days until the shift points worked themselves out to my driving style.

Auto pros:

Lower RPM at freeway speeds
      Ability to multitask while driving (talk on phone or eat)
      More driveline dampening

Manual pros:

More control
      Ability to use the massive torque band of the 2.5

Comparing my '06 manual to the '08 auto, the '08 felt far more civilized in all driving conditions. Overall it was a good drive but for me it sucked any fun out of driving and confirmed that I will continue to drive manuals. Great transmission though.

07-26-2008 09:55 PM #13
      We have both 6 speed TIP and 5 speed manual in our fleet......Rabbits that is.....

I would without a doubt pick the 5 speed with the Rabbit package. Its much more fun to drive, allows you to be in the correct gear at all times which is more important in a car with lower power such as the Rabbit.

However, a sportwagen that will be kept stock and used only for family hauling/utility I would most def buy the Auto. It turns much slower at highway speeds, and is very smooth.

Its tough to explain the difference, the Auto makes the car feel smoother, quieter, more relaxed and easier to drive.

Vehicles
      07-26-2008 10:48 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by MKV Aaron »

Its tough to explain the difference, the Auto makes the car feel smoother, quieter, more relaxed and easier to drive.

That's a good point. Whenever I drive an auto I feel like I'm in less of a rush and more relaxed. Maybe an auto will be good for me...

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      07-27-2008 12:14 AM #15
      I have driven both, though we've owned 3 different 2.5's, all mated to the 5-speed. When I bought my most recent 2.5, I stuck with the manual because the engine seems WAAAAAAAAAY more responsive than with the auto. In first and second gears, the auto feels like a dog. I have never thought that with my manual.

Good luck with your purchase!

- Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

16. 07-27-2008 08:00 AM #16
      I chose the TIP when I bought my Jetta because after driving both, I felt that the auto seemed quicker and more responsive than the manual. The shifts are almost seamless and I have had many passengers make the same comment.

After a year and a half, I wish I had a manual again only because that is all I have ever owned and I miss shifting. At the time I bought the car I was in the city and now I am back in the country.

Vehicles
      07-30-2008 10:14 AM #17
      I think the dealer has located me a 5 speed SE Sportwagen.
      I'm going to go drive a 2.5 standard today and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the input.

18. 07-30-2008 11:55 AM #18
      The auto will be smoother with the shifting. When my wife is in the car i'll try to drive less spirited, but I get lost in the available torque down low and the shifts become snappier. $1100 though...coilovers=)

19. 07-30-2008 01:04 PM #19
      gremlins live inside of torque converters that eat horsepower. evil gremlins.

20. 07-30-2008 01:17 PM #20

I've driven manual cars all my car owning life....while the VW late model drive by wire cars are a bit "tender" (much like an over carburated small displacement engine back in the day...) they at least respond like you'd expect once you get them launched from a stop. My car's been in the shop and I've driven 4 different auto VW's...GTI DSG, Passat 1.8T auto, Beetle auto, and now I have a Rabbit auto. All of the cars except the GTI DSG are DANGEROUS! If you start out from a stop..say creeping out of a driveway to look for oncoming cars, then get back on the gas to proceed...its like the car just sits there and thinks...no linear response to throttle inputs...then of course you really jam the gas down (cars are comin at you..yikes ) and all of a sudden the car wakes up and really accelerates. I chalked this up to turbo lag on the Passat..the first auto loaner I drove, but both the Beetle and Rabbit exhibit the same disconcerting and I'd say dangerous trait. I was making a left turn after letting off the gas to let car in front clear and felt like a sitting duck in the middle of the oncoming lanes till the car "decided" to go!
      Now the DSG is totally different...goes right now, shifts faster and smoother than I can, rev matches on downshifts etc...I'd buy one of those, but not "Tiptronic" or whatever auto VW is peddling in the other cars!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

21. 07-30-2008 01:19 PM #21
      ^^ this is a ridiculous exageration

22. 07-30-2008 01:32 PM #22
      3 days ago i bought a sports wagen with manual transmission- I LOVE IT!!
      The dsg would be my dream for this car but it will be only available with the 2.0 turbo- not in yet and way more $$$$$
      Automatic??? had a 2001 Audi a6 transmission were worn out after 100.000 miles!
      have now additional a BMW Z3 and a BMW 740 with Automatic- i don't like the transmissions!
      Automatic tranmsissions mostly are worn out after 100.000 miles and have a lot more electronics ($$$$ for repair).
      If you wanna just drive around for a few years and prefer a comfortable driving- the Automatic is fine- for sure!
      if you plan engine upgrades or you like to keep your car for many, many years way above 100.000 miles i would go with the manual!

My brand new sports wagen is awsome! but the a 6 speed manual would be better!
      @ ca.75 mph the engine revs ca. 3000 rpm.

NO MATTER IF AUTOMATIC OR MANUAL- YOU WILL LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Vehicles
      07-30-2008 02:44 PM #23
      I just pulled the trigger on a Jetta Sportwagen SE, Roof, 17" wheels, 5 speed manual.

I pick it up tomorrow.
      It's bitter sweet because I traded my R32 for it.

edit: I drove a Jetta sedan 2.5 5 speed today and liked it much better than the auto.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 BMW M3 sedan
      07-30-2008 02:57 PM #24

pfft. My Passat variant was a manual and was a blast to drive.

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      08-08-2008 06:00 PM #25
      Uhhh....if, as you say, the Sportwagon won't be as fun, what's wrong with the OP getting a manual to make it that much better?

I don't really understand everyone's theory that wagons are plain grocery getters. We are talking about a Volkswagen here, nonetheless. Whatever he chooses, it'll be a fun ride.

- Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

26. 08-08-2008 06:09 PM #26
      MANUAL FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

27. 08-08-2008 06:59 PM #27
      The Tiptronic on the 2.5 is nowhere near what the DGS is. Everyone is going to say Manual. I drive the auto and have not had a single glitch with it...I have seen a lot of QQ'ing about cluches going bad in the 2.5. If you are't going to be racing which hello, yer buying a sportwagon..I'd probably go w/ the Tiptronic. Its reliable, smooth easy to use, wont give you any fuss and gives you plenty of power when you need it! I live in Miami and yah I could get use to the stop and go and be happy with a manual but I'd rather talk on the cell phones, hold my gf's hand, pick my nose scratch my balls or anything else than to constantly go from first to second, stop put the car in neutral..rinse and repeat for 20mins a day.

Modified by miamidubthing at 12:50 PM 7-26-2008

LOL