Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: HELP! Air bag light "Airbag fault" on MkV Jetta

1. 07-26-2008 11:10 PM #1
      Hey guys anyone know why I might be getting an airbag fault light warning on the dash? It has come up once before and VW fixed it... said it was a plug under the seat but now it's come back again and I have plugged and unplugged but still nothing??

Also these seats are not the factory fitted seats they were swapped over from another Jetta because they were leather... anyone have an idea how I can get the heaters working? Maybe with a non-genuine modification?

Any ideas would be great,

cheers

2. 07-28-2008 12:03 PM #2
      i have the same problem but i have a mk4 gti

Vehicles
      '03 1.8T
      09-23-2008 08:43 PM #3
      bump for resolution of this problem. i have searched for an answer and the only thing i have come up with as a possibility is the sensor on the seatbelt. can anyone help???

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6
      09-24-2008 12:04 AM #4
      Reset the codes using vag-com. I had this once and it said there was too much resistance in my airbag sensor. I Reset it and haven't had a problem since...its been a year

5. 09-24-2008 05:18 PM #5
      I've had my car into VW three times in the last month to get the "Airbag Fault" message off. First, they replace a wire harness in my drivers seat. Then, the light and message returned. Next, they replaced the airbag in my seat. Light came back on. Then, they replaced the wire from the floor to the seat with a longer one, saying the light kept returning because I would move my seat back and forth! Defeats the purpose of a seat then doesn't it! But, its been two weeks and it hasn't returned. Hope this helps..
      Also, the service tech told me that the Airbag Fault is common on MK5 05's and 06's.

6. 09-26-2008 01:53 AM #6
      IS THE DTC DRIVERS SEAT SIDE IGNITER UPPER LIMIT EXCEEDED AND NOTHING ELSE. IF IT IS THEN YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE TERMINALS ON THE CAR SIDE OF THE HARNESS NOT THE SEAT SIDE.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      gold b5.5
      09-29-2008 12:21 PM #7
      ive had that that light on for a while now in my mk5 06 jetta.
      the light also means that there could be something wrong with the seatbelt mechanisms which is why it came on for me.
      my passenger side seat belt button is stuck down until you put the seatbelt in it. it would be an annoying thing to fix and the seatbelt works just fine so it just stays like that.

Modified by mk5jetta at 8:30 AM 9-29-2008
      "The car’s retro uncoolness goes so far it actually seems to come back around to being cool again"

8. 11-17-2008 11:01 AM #8
      My lights on too. Im just leaving it on i dotn even care anymore. I was innocently driving down country roads and boom it turned on. dam dubs.

9. 11-22-2008 10:27 AM #9
      I installed the parrot phone kit and got the airbag fault message afterwards... i think it was from unplugging the airbag light sensor on the top of the dash. dooh!

10. 03-12-2009 09:49 PM #10
      where is the controller located on the MK5 cars (2007 rabbit)

11. 03-23-2009 05:40 PM #11
      I gave the WhiteHare his birthday vacuuming, which involves taking the seats out, thus unplugging wires underneath seats, and he said thank you by lighting this 'candle' up for me. Assuming its not an airbag system malfuction, do you think its airbag disabled caused by unhooking wires because I've read seat belt pretensioner malfunction is also common? Can I clear this with a generic OBDII scanner (my Pop teaches automechanics and has this) or should I start looking for a 'thirsty' vag-commer here at the Jersey Shore?

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado 16vg60 6spd, 2005 Tundra
      03-24-2009 06:54 PM #12
      Seats on mk5 cars are vin specific since the implementation of the passenger occupied detection system(pods). This is used to keep the airbag from deploying if there is a passenger under 60lbs in the front seat. Try swapping your old seats in and clearing the code with vag-com(or suitable alternative) or maybe doing a capacitor discharge on the vehicle. As for the heated seats i have no solution other than getting wiring diagrams out. I.m. me i might have what you would need. Hope this helps.