Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY - No beep for you! Alarm horn *chirp*

1. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Rocco x 2, 87 Rocco, 98 Jetta TDI, 01 Eurovan, 05 TDI wagon, 06 GLI, 10 Jetta wolfie, 13 A4Q
      07-27-2008 02:12 PM #1
      Hate hearing that obnoxious horn everytime you lock your car? Rather have it chirp? Then read on...

I honestly thought someone else would've done this by now, and to my dismay, they haven't. So, if you don't like it, tough I'm not an eloquent DIY writer, nor do I care to be. But, I'm getting bugged about how I did this all the time, and I'd like a final authoritive place to direct them.

I'm stealing most of the info from the other thread. Alot was mine anyway, but I'll try to give credit where credit is due at the end. If you can add anything, feel free. That thread was just getting a bit too difficult to understand and navigate if you didn't know exactly what you were doing. IIRC, my pics sucked. So, if you have better ones, send them my way and I'll replace them in my post. Anyhoos, on with the show.

What do I need?

-A "chirping" alarm horn, of course. P/N 1K0 951 605C

-You'll need a 3 pin connector for said horn P/N 1J0 973 703

-Repair wires for said connector (x3) P/N 000 979 131 (doesn't have to be that exact wire)

-6 pin connector for the Comfort/Convenience Module (referred to from here on out as the CCM) P/N 1K0-972-923

-Bracket/enclosure for alarm horn P/N 1K0 951 227

-VAG-COM! Access to it or someone with it, with a general working knowledge of long coding.

-T20/T25 driver for screws everywhere.

How do I do it?

I'm gonna break this up into 3 portions, hardware, wiring, and coding. Starting with hardware.

HARDWARE

1. Remove right front wheel. If you can't handle removing the wheel without detailed pics and instructions, stop. You don't belong here. Go pay someone else to do this for you.

2. Remove right front wheel liner. Again, pretty self explanatory. A mess of T-25 screws and it falls out. Once removed, look inside above and to the rear of where your wheel was, and you'll see that annoying little horn.

3. In the above pic, you can see where the original horn bracket is riveted to the chassis. Drill and remove both of those rivets, unplug the original horn, and remove the whole assembly by just pulling down a bit and it'll fall out. Discard/store as you see fit.

4. Mount the new horn into the new bracket

5. Mount your new horn/bracket in place the same way the original was. Push it up to seat the upper clip visible in photo below, and either rivet or bolt the same two holes you drilled rivets out of before on the original horn.

Hardware completed.

WIRING

1. First, you'll need to remove your glovebox to gain access to the CCM. I didn't take any pics of this, as I thought there was a DIY on removing the glovebox already I could just link to. Well, I don't see that now, but it isn't rocket science. If anyone has a link, I'll gladly add it. Once it's out, you'll see this:

Ok, now we know your original horn used 2 wires. Your new one has 3. Here we'll steal the diagrams bfourney posted in the other thread:

Quote, originally posted by bfourney »

There's 3 different connection scenarios depending on the year and equipment. The wiring is certianly different between them. It looks like the chirp style uses a 3rd connection to the Lin bus for triggering while the new style connects to through a realy controlled by the convenience module.

#1 - 2005 "Chirp" ATA Horn The diagram you posted above is the CAN-BUS connection to the 2005 style horn, but not the whole picture.

#2 - 2006 "Honk" ATA Horn without MFA This is if you have a base edition without the MFA control of the conveniece system (the alternate convenience version is shown for comparison

#3 - 2006 "Honk" ATA Horn with MFA This is the version that mattenfeu posted above.

So, we'll try to break it down as simple as possible here.

MFA EQUIPPED CARS

Looking at the diagram above, we can see pin #1 on the original alarm horn goes to ground. Cut this wire at the old connector, we will reuse this to ground our chirp horn. Connect this to pin #2 on the new, 3 pin connector for your new alarm horn using one of your repair wires.

Now, pin #2 on the original horn went to an alarm horn relay. We are just going to ignore this, as we can't use that relay on this siren. Tape the wire off and just secure it out of the way.

So, back to your new 3 pin connector. You've got pin #2 taken care of. Pin #3 is easy, so knock that out real quick. It just needs a fused 12v constant power source. I used an existing 5amp fuse in the e-box beside the battery. Slot 20 IIRC. The only thing that matters is it gets constant power, doesn't matter where it comes from. You can go direct to the battery if you want, but use an inline fuse. (hook this up LAST, after everything else! Once you hook the power up, you cannot unhook it without the alarm siren going crazy )

Finally, pin #1. This needs to go to the CCM. Pin #6 in the leftmost 6 pin connector (see red wire in pic below)

You can actually hook it up just like that with a small female spade terminal, as I had to do for quite awhile before I could source the correct connector pictured below(p/n at beginning of thread, it is now the yellow wire in this pic):

To get this wire out to the new alarm horn, drop the CCM down (2 10mm nuts) and you'll see this foam behind it:

Move the foam out of the way, and you'll see a grommet:

Run the wire through that grommet as depicted. Now, pull your cowl panel up (around your wipers) and the wire will be coming through there. You can easily route it right down to the alarm horn from here and connect to pin #1.

That's it for wiring MFA guys!

NON-MFA CARS

Fear not, yours isn't any different really. Actually, for simplicity's purpose, it is no different. You can just do it exactly as described above.

However, you can skip a small step if you like. Your original pin #2 already runs to the CCM. You can reuse this wire if you want to relocate it to the proper pin. I'm not going into detail so as not to confuse anyone any further than I already have. It's just as easy to just do as described above.

Ok, wiring complete. Drink a beer or 3, you've earned it.

CODING

I has no pics. It's simple though, really. Log into your CCM, address word 46. Click long coding, and long coding helper. 3rd byte from the end, check all 3 options at the bottom relating to siren. Transfer coding, save, and voila. Close everything up, and start hitting your lock and panic buttons over and over again to enjoy

Again, my pics suck. If you have better, I'll glady replace and give credit where due. Same goes for additional pics/information. These are various pics over an 8 month period...some with cam, some with iphone, and most drunk.

As for credits, a quick thanks to BRM10984, bfourney, dsgvdub, 71sbeetle, tim birney, mattenfeu, and everyone else who helped out on the original thread.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so I'll review this again later. Enjoy

Vehicles
      MKV
      07-27-2008 03:03 PM #2
      very nice write up

Vehicles
      '11 S4
      07-27-2008 03:11 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by veedubtek »
      That thread was just getting a bit too difficult to understand and navigate if you didn't know exactly what you were doing.

Agreed. Thanks for putting this together man. I've added it to the FAQ.

4. 07-27-2008 03:14 PM #4
      POST OF THE DAY.

Nice job, you da man!!!!

5. 07-27-2008 03:15 PM #5
      Nice writeup! Thank you!

Vehicles
      2006 Ford F150 Lariat
      07-27-2008 03:33 PM #6
      Sound clip plzkthx.

Will you do a write-up for converting to the Dixie horn from Dukes of Hazard, now?

r.i.p. roflwagen

Vehicles
      2011 GTI ko4'd - 2014 Jeep Rubijon
      07-27-2008 04:20 PM #7
      Wow finally thank you very much for doing this. I am ordering parts tomorrow
      11 mk6 gti APR KO4 12.0@119 GoAPR

Vehicles
      2008 VW Rabbit
      07-27-2008 04:41 PM #8
      Are there any sound snippets or video clips showcasing the chirping?
      Quote Originally Posted by TrillyPop View Post
      The 2.5L forum is full of high hopes and huge disappointment.
      MKV Rabbit Dyno Thread
      MKIII Cabrio Build Thread

07-27-2008 05:43 PM #9
      this thread is useless without sound clips.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Rocco x 2, 87 Rocco, 98 Jetta TDI, 01 Eurovan, 05 TDI wagon, 06 GLI, 10 Jetta wolfie, 13 A4Q
      07-27-2008 06:11 PM #10
      Of course this DIY wouldn't be complete without a sound clip. That's why I put a link to a video in the very first line of my post

Vehicles
      2010 CC R-Line
      07-27-2008 06:18 PM #11
      Whats the total price for parts for this?
      2010 CC R-Line Reflex Silver

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta GLI-F sold, 2012 Passat SEL VR6
      07-27-2008 08:55 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by M Diddy »
      Whats the total price for parts for this?

new one is about $300.00 but there was a guy on vortex selling used ones for about $70.00 I think.... But i dont know if he sells them anymore.

Vehicles
      '10 Mustang GT
      07-28-2008 01:59 AM #13
      Thanks for the awesome writeup! I just ordered all the parts from 1stvwparts.com for ~$200.

This is something I've wanted to do for awhile, but had no idea how.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      07-28-2008 06:46 PM #14
      If you do have the MFA (Highline), you can reuse the the power cable also by doing the following and using the MFA schematics above:

I am "chirping" now. I went with malooshecks suggestion and found the relay, removed it and shorten T9h/2 and T9h/8 using a short jumper cable and two blade connectors. The relay was right behind the angled brackets on the left lower side of the dash to lower left of the steering column. I vaguely remembered seeing them when I removed all that to get to the fuse box several weeks back when I did the auto dim mirror setup. if you look at the vwvortex mkv diy on replacing that portion of the dash with the euro cubby version here http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2539128 you can see the relays in some of the pictures. the rivets replacements were huge. i had a local shop put them in for me with one of those large rivet tools... my hand rivet tool laughed at me when i showed it those rivets

15. 07-29-2008 09:51 PM #15
      Couldn't you just replace the annoying horn with one of these radio shack chimes for $10 and not have to mess with vag-com or anything else? It wouldn't give that really nice chirp but it would give a normal car alarm chime and much less work and cost. Would that work?

http://www.radioshack.com/prod...earch

Vehicles
      2008 Volkswagen GLI
      07-29-2008 11:06 PM #16
      Awesome write up!! I'm definitely considering doing this!
      2008 GLI- Laser Blue, Cold Weather Package, 18'' Huffs. -Neuspeed P-Flo Intake, Koni Coilovers, Smoked Side Markers, Open Fogs, Euro Tails (Amber Club), Golf Ball Shift Knob, Euro Switch

Vehicles
      533i, 320is, B5.5 4mo
      07-30-2008 02:10 AM #17
      You know you could have just disabled it via Vag Com? I did, it took all of 60 seconds.
      This is what sarcasm and snarkiness looks like, with a smidge of displaced smugness, and justified jadedness

18. 07-30-2008 10:04 AM #18
      Disabling it is not what this writeup is about. If you want to disable it all you have to do is turn off "ata confirm" in the MFD. The writeup is about keeping a sound when locking, just not that embarassing honk sound.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      08-01-2008 04:36 PM #19
      ..Did the Horn to Siren swap yesterday... works great, and was easy.

Vehicles
      '11 S4
      08-01-2008 04:39 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by Twelvizm »
      You know you could have just disabled it via Vag Com? I did, it took all of 60 seconds.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      01-08-2009 10:31 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by mreuro »
      there was a guy on vortex selling used ones for about $70.00 I think.... But i dont know if he sells them anymore.

It was mtltdi who used to sells those sirens. I am not sure if he still does.

Vehicles
      '94 Civic
      01-09-2009 12:16 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by Twelvizm »

I thought that as well, until I read the whole write-up.

These guys, for some reason, want the alarm to chirp instead of beep.

I like mine just disabled altogether.

The lights flashing let me know that the car is locked.

Vehicles
      08 R32. 05 Jeep Wrangler
      01-09-2009 01:29 AM #23
      id still rather mine beep like a lexus. i need to find that thread.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      MY09 CC
      01-09-2009 09:31 AM #24
      Say, veedubtek, would the "coding" instructions/part of this guide work on a Passat CC with OEM alarm?

«CODING
      Log into your CCM, address word 46. Click long coding, and long coding helper. 3rd byte from the end, check all 3 options at the bottom relating to siren. Transfer coding, save, and voila. Close everything up, and start hitting your lock and panic buttons over and over again to enjoy»

?

Vehicles
      Corellian Engineering Corporation CC-9600 Frigate
      01-12-2009 08:26 PM #25
      Hey, I'm trying to unplug the thing without breaking anything. How is it done? Are there retaining clips that I need to poke?
      Novel-sized responses™
      Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!
      Schenkt ein, trinkt aus, schenkt ein, trinkt aus!

26. 01-12-2009 08:51 PM #26
      IMO, you guys are crazy to do this much work, spend this much money for a mod like this....

27. Member
      Vehicles
      01-12-2009 09:56 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by G2BForReal »
      IMO, you guys are crazy to do this much work, spend this much money for a mod like this....

Quote, originally posted by G2BForReal »
      Leave the hate in '08

psychizophrenic much?

sergio - I'd guess coding to be the same in the CC, but I'm not positive. A quick look at the long coding helper in vag-com should verify it...it's pretty self explanatory in there.

peachy - you have to "unlock" the CCM before you can unplug it IIRC. Depress a tab and slide it (module) a bit to the left? Something like that...sorry, been a looooong day.

tr.:R - what's the lexus sound like? I thought they chirped like this tbh, but haven't seen one in probably forever

Vehicles
      Corellian Engineering Corporation CC-9600 Frigate
      01-12-2009 10:31 PM #28
      You know what I just realized? I was working on the wrong side of the car. Uhh. I don't think I need to explain any more. Gooooo me!
      Novel-sized responses™
      Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!
      Schenkt ein, trinkt aus, schenkt ein, trinkt aus!

29. 02-04-2009 01:02 AM #29
      Is the P/N for the repair wire (000 979 131) used for the T6 connector the same as the repair wire used for the 3 pin connector on the siren itself?

Vehicles
      2007 VW Golf 2.0TDI 4motion, 1992 Golf 1 Cabriolet, Polo classic -84, Jetta CL 1.5 AT -83
      05-28-2009 12:08 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by veedubtek »

What do I need?

-You'll need a 3 pin connector for said horn P/N 1J0 973 703

Is the part number correct? Because the service/dealer cant find that part?

Im trying to fix this to my golf. I dont have alarm system at all

Vehicles
      2007 VW Golf 2.0TDI 4motion, 1992 Golf 1 Cabriolet, Polo classic -84, Jetta CL 1.5 AT -83
      07-06-2009 05:04 AM #31
      Quote, originally posted by jaah »

I dont have alarm system at all

Now I have it
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXURiWOoVlA

Thanks for this diy

32. 07-06-2009 07:48 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by jaah »

Now I have it
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXURiWOoVlA

sweet! that's what i need!

Vehicles
      07-11-2009 01:49 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by cherok »

sweet! that's what i need!

Original trailerhitch (retrofitted) and GTI rearbumber with hatch for the hook.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      07' Jetta 2.0T, Custom Airride Squareback
      07-09-2011 09:48 PM #34
      I did this with my mk4 gti a few years ago, and now with the gf's new-to-her mkv.

Took about, oh, I don't know, 10 minutes. Cost about $10. With taxes. Yep. Don't over think a simple mod.
      ( don't mind the crappy cell cam )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynK7dbJUy4
      - Contrary to popular belief, I am neither a dog nor a kid -
      * sundog kid - Join Date -Jul 24th, 2003 - Posts2,179 * RIP original username.

Vehicles
      2008 TR.:R32
      07-13-2011 02:05 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by sundogkid View Post
      I did this with my mk4 gti a few years ago, and now with the gf's new-to-her mkv.

Took about, oh, I don't know, 10 minutes. Cost about $10. With taxes. Yep. Don't over think a simple mod.
      ( don't mind the crappy cell cam )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QynK7dbJUy4
      Great vid! What did you use to get it?
      2008 Tornado Rad .:R32 #2846/5000
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/66859.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast