VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What did you do to your Quantum today?

187K views 644 replies 84 participants last post by  skopek 
#1 ·
I'm sure this will be a slow moving thread, but what the hell I think we need one.

Even though it wasn't today, I'll start....
Flushed and bled the whole brake system with new blue stuff.

Modified by DubbinChris at 6:04 AM 7-30-2008

Modified by DubbinChris at 10:54 AM 7-31-2008

See less See more
#436 ·
What can I say? I hate broken isht. Especially stupid, piddly little broken isht (which was a lot of my list.)
I don't think I've spent even $150 on parts for it yet (and, I bought it in February) - a lot of my Things Broken were actual repairable things. :D

Someone I work with (my shop foreman, actually) asked me a while ago "why you and old VWs?" (I'm a BMW tech, BTW.) My answer:
"because they're simple; they're Legos; parts are reasonably cheap; and, half of the time, you can actually repair something that doesn't work right."

#437 ·
Very little done recently. Swapped new 15" Borbets on the red and silver QSW for now with old but good tread Dunlops. Swapped in a functional ISV this morning after the old one crapped out on the way to work (I had an extra one in the back seat...score!). I need to get after the rear brakes and then get the rust on the doors taken care of (finally). Been neglecting her but I have been working a lot and stripping an Audi 200 Turbo Quattro...and yes, driveline is going in the QSW. I need to go pick up a package form the post office and find out why they wouldn't ship it to Poland...about three weeks after I paid them to do so. Then finally get Thomas' package out to him in Germany (with added parts for being a lazy American arse...). So I will be busy but I have to also find time to work on the Quantum Coupe project and I'm moving this week, so there.
More to come.

#438 ·
New vacuum pod, white/black, for the diff lock system which works perfectly now. New rear pads & rotors. New Kuhmo AST 205-50-15 on $80/set off CL Borbet RH with new hub centric rings and black tapered seat bolts. Newer Santana lights that are not pitted nor have dull reflectors. :beer:

#442 ·
Oil change today.
"New" central lock pump (out of a 95-ish Jetta) yesterday (only $58 on eBay.) Yay! Working power locks again! :D

A couple of weeks ago..
treated the rust on the LR wheel arch, and glued (because it was the only way to secure it) the wheel arch moulding back on. I can wash the car at work (automatic wash) now. :cool:

And, ordered today, from 034Motorsport:
- ball socket for the shift linkage (yesterday, the linkage was having a really, really bad day...)
- driveshaft bearing
- rear mount for rear diff.

#443 ·
One thing done today.

Since the shift linkage has been right pissing me off lately... (and, my shop foreman offered me used cars, but then said "bring this crappy 'hot' car in before used cars"... :mad: ),
into the shop she came.
Out came the shift rod. In went my new ball socket. (WOW, was the old one beyond worn out!)
In went the shift rod. A good amount of trial-n-error for adjustment later, and...
Far, far less silly-putty-like. Still a little slop (need to look at it closer, now that the main slop is gone); but, it's a lot more liveable now.
And, I'm secure in the thought that it's no longer going to pop apart mid-shift now. :cool:

#446 ·
Sorry, totally different. Theirs mounts sideways and is way smaller. You could probably have someone machine a bushing/reducer, but the only place I know to get a new one is from VW for about $120 or there's a place in Germany you can get a poly one in a few weeks for about $75, but I don't know the quality...

#447 ·
Damn, that sucks....
I even went off of 034's own posts on it (from the product page), where Javad says "Yep, same for QSW."
:(

Poly I'll pass on - I just want a new rubber mount!
(And, damn, I so wish that the "get a copy of ETKA" thing had worked out at Cincy this year......
It would be so, so nice to be able to easily cross-reference parts.)

#458 ·
Javad is a total yes man. He'll say stuff fits all the time even when it doesn't and when you tell him it doesn't fit he'll claim that you're the first one to have that problem. BTDT with him and his employees. On top of all that, they are very slow to get back to you even if they say they will. They drop the ball on sh*t all the time unless you keep bugging them. BTDT too. :(

#451 ·
over heating

had some serious over heating last night, it was odd because my fan kicks in for just the slight bit of thermostat movement, if it even warms up the fan cuts on. So me being the noob i am with this 1.6L engine, I wigged out:eek: but this morning i check water levels and connectors and turned the car on.....Still no signal :( so I used my test light and checked connections and no light :mad:.....so i check the fuse and boom there it was :facepalm: it was busted....lol now im heading to the auto parts store and picking one up!:beer:

#452 ·
Be sure to keep an eye on that radiator fan and temp. The fuse doesn't blow for no reason. The fans will wear out the shaft bearing and eventually start to seize up. Lots of interchangeable ones at junkyards, but do yourself a favor and just buy a new one for peace of mind. Overheat=new engine. And replace your hoses when you can too. Been there, done that. No fun.

#453 ·
the car was....

the car was sitting for two years....changed the battery and also have a new water pump and radiator, the fan always kicked in when it felt hot... and looked today and found the fuse blown. But i think youre right ima keep a look out on the fan motor....i might have to change it soon. it does spin freely so we will see, thank you for the heads up:beer:

#454 · (Edited)
Yesterday I pulled the rear 'bumper' off my 87 QSW. Cover was just bolted directly to the brackets with no rebar in there due to a past accident, I assume. There were tabs welded onto the brackets and that's it. I pulled the brackets and tossed them as they were rotted. Looking for a good rebar and brackets now...scrapped one not too long back...:banghead:
Will be headed to a yard this coming weekend, I hope. Also cleaned out a mouse nest on the rear shock tower. Pulled all the trim off and cleaned it all out and washed and dried the whole are. Filthy rodents. There is the rust spot above the filler tube that I'll have to patch, but it's clean otherwise under there. Easy fix and I'll seal it up nice to avoid it happening again.
I'm guessing I'm going to end up buying a good bumper from eurowner. I'm gonna try to yard first, but I don't hold out much hope.

My buddy snapped a pic while I was ripping the bumper bracket out...

#457 ·
Replaced the rear upper seats with headrest models, replaced the lower passenger rear cargo plastic with a cargo cover model, still looking to get the rest of the lower plastics, but a salvage trip got cut short and have to wait a whole before I can try again.

And that ugly rust hole over the gas filler neck will soon be cut out and new metal welded in place and painted.
Also pulled the trim and all off the rear hatch to ready for prep and pain along with the rear valence. Then to get a bumper...

#459 ·
Yeah, the Quantums are not their priority. We usually are cheap bastards when it comes to buying parts for our cars. 034 is about the only game in town for I5, though. And they do make done pretty good stuff. I sent him a rear diff mount and bracket to see if he could get some made up. I'm pretty sure every QSW owner would buy one or two or three. If he comes through on that I'll send him a spare intake boot to see if he can get silicone ones made. Between us and 4KQ owners, there should be enough of a market.

#460 ·
I'll agree that 034 does make good stuff - the ball socket for the shift linkage fit perfectly (and, yays! the damned thing doesn't randomly pop apart anymore!)
A new (and, correct) diff mount, and for less than $130 (was the VW price?) I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
I'm hoping that the come thru with that, because a new intake boot would be awesomesauce (mine's getting a bit, ah, sketchy.... )

In my on-topic news.....
installation of an 80* t-stat (and matching fan switch) a couple of weeks ago did wonders for mine's ability to keep its cool (pun intended) on the freeway. Much better....

Also about two weeks ago, had to replace (partially) the fuel feed and return lines on the car - the feed line had started to corrode thru, right under the battery tray. Now, that there, not a fun job.
It does leave "on the list" replacing the rest of the fuel lines on the car. But, they're not nearly as scary looking as the feed line was... I'll get to them.....

#462 ·
Tackled the rust spots on the red Syncro. Ground it down to metal and hit it with some self etching primer. There are spots on both front doors. Driver leading edge has a little hole under the trim that will only require filler and some paint. Trailing edge just needs a surface layer of bondo and some paint.
Passenger door leading edge needs surface and paint, but trailing edge needs a new corner welded, it was pretty chewed up. Rear doors are good.
Also hit the rear hatch and that should just need a layer to smooth it out and a respray.
Cut out the rotted spot on the rear inner fender and it's ready for new metal to be welded in place. Easy and it'll be solid again.
Then I need to hit the rear valence and paint it too.
Amazingly solid for a MA car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.