VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What did you do to your Quantum today?

187K views 644 replies 84 participants last post by  skopek 
#1 ·
I'm sure this will be a slow moving thread, but what the hell I think we need one.

Even though it wasn't today, I'll start....
Flushed and bled the whole brake system with new blue stuff.

Modified by DubbinChris at 6:04 AM 7-30-2008

Modified by DubbinChris at 10:54 AM 7-31-2008

See less See more
#379 ·
Yesterday I spent a couple hours freeing up the frozen pass rear door latch. Had to break the old handle apart (not easy to do if you're trying not to hurt the sheet metal). Finally got it and installed a spare handle. Works great, but I need to replace the door lock knob linkage attachment thingy...

Today I decided to finally install the power antenna from the other Q I parted. Figured it would be easy. That's a negative. Had to pull the dash plastics and the cluster to get at everything. Now I wish I'd done something else...like a fuba or a straight manual one. Anyway, it's all back together. and working. Once that was done, I figured I'd fix the no reverse lights. Holy PITA it is to get at tat damn thing. It was just the connectors had come loose when I had it on the lift trying to fix the diff lock actuator...forget to reattach it. Next time I'll throw it back on the lift. Anyway, finally got it. Also a week ago, I put the new Borbets on it. Looks good. Pics soon.

#380 ·
today i did both lower control arms left and right,installed use sway bar,installed pickup coil,for the hotstart problem,head gasket water pump all coolant hoses.front and rear shockes.stut bumpers.plug wires.tie rodsboth axles.i got the car for 100 buck got 3000 invested and it still rides like a tank:screwy:

#382 ·
how did you achieve those 2"???
:thumbup:

with my paint job looking like it is, rattle-canning it sounds pretty good. nice work.

#389 ·
powder plow

got snows mounted this week and used the qsw as a (xc) ski lift:snowcool::

#392 · (Edited)
Managed to knock it off a set of jack stands. Fortunately it was all in slow motion and landed mostly in mud. Although in the process I managed to pin my floor jack under it all and possibly puncturing the fuel tank. FML. In the meantime....a friend and I have brainstormed a new project for it. Lets just say it's going to require custom motor mounts to be made.

#398 · (Edited)
Yesterday I installed a brand new blower motor. Went fine but this aftermarket POS only blows about half as much air as the OEM fan. Guess I'll be looking for a real one soon enough....at least it's quiet and doesn't send smoke through the vents.
Ahhh...might have gotten the non-AC version...anyone know if that's a less powerful fan? Can't seem to find anyone selling the AC version so I may have to call one of my contacts...:wave:

#400 ·
Some idiot pulled out in front of me and I avoided him and took out the curb and front passenger wheel/suspension. Cop wouldn't write a report because he didn't witness it?! And the guy was there admitting fault in front of the cop. I hate people. Hoping the subframe/body aren't screwed up. Should have just hit the guy....then I'd be fine as far as the report/insurance goes.

#401 ·
that sucks!:thumbdown:

no body damage tho. :thumbup: subframe bent at all? i'm guessing that A-arm isn't looking so good...

#402 ·
Don't know yet how bad it is. Steering rack didn't seem right and obviously control arm, tie rod, and other stuff is f'ed. Body damage limited to the fender where the wheel is jammed into it. It started raining and being crappy and I was late for work and everything sucked so I have yet to get under it. Dropped it at the shop and letting them fix it. If it was my fault I'd fix it myself, but the other guy will end up paying for it (eventually) so I'll let someone else get dirty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.