VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What did you do to your Quantum today?

187K views 644 replies 84 participants last post by  skopek 
#1 ·
I'm sure this will be a slow moving thread, but what the hell I think we need one.

Even though it wasn't today, I'll start....
Flushed and bled the whole brake system with new blue stuff.

Modified by DubbinChris at 6:04 AM 7-30-2008

Modified by DubbinChris at 10:54 AM 7-31-2008

See less See more
#203 ·
Re: What did you do to your Quantum today? (Row1Rich)

Replaced the 84 dash plastics with the later model dash plastics...I know, I know, they don't quite exchange correctly, but it's all I had and I did some trimming, etc. The vent is elliptical instead of rectangular, so it's gonna whistle through there no matter what. The AC control faceplate is also a difference, but I trimmed it at the corners and broke off a couple tabs...it stays just fine. Last thing I need to do is replace the bulbs for the AC faceplate...anyone know if they're still available form the stealership? Or anywhere? Even a part # would help since they have none on them.
Considering the old plastics were absolutely toast, this is a vast improvement. Pics when I get my camera from work later.
Next is to glue on the new headliner fabric and reinstall the headliner. Guess I'll go do that now, I've put it off long enough.
Pics (although not great ones...):

Modified by JohnBarleyCorn at 9:05 AM 9-20-2009

#204 ·
Yikes. That was nowhere near as easy ad I'd hoped. Came out ok, but not great by any means. Considering it was just the hard foam backing that was in there before, this should make things a lot better.
Considering this is the first one I've done and I still have only about 1/3 use of my right arm from the shoulder surgery, I did pretty well.
Who looks at the headliner anyway?

Modified by JohnBarleyCorn at 8:52 PM 9-19-2009

#211 ·
Re: What did you do to your Quantum today? (DubbinChris)

Quote, originally posted by DubbinChris »
Had it towed home....

ohhhh a red one! Had mine been red I might have worked harder at keeping it. (although the brown interior was kinda cool). Now I'm stuck in a silver car BLAH how boring.

#212 ·
Re: What did you do to your Quantum today? (InSaNeBoY)

Quote, originally posted by InSaNeBoY »

ohhhh a red one! Had mine been red I might have worked harder at keeping it. (although the brown interior was kinda cool). Now I'm stuck in a silver car BLAH how boring.

I'm pretty fond of the brown interior as well. It's the only vinyl I've ever seen in one also. I'm sad to say that I haven't sone much that one since I've gotten it. It sat in my girlfriends back yard for a while until I moved into a new place. At least it's at my own house now. I've managed to sand and primer some rust. Once I get the red one running I'll be pulling your old one in the garage to pull the trans. I'm hoping it's just a trans seal. After that I'll have some decisions to make.

#213 ·

I'm pretty fond of the brown interior as well. It's the only vinyl I've ever seen in one also. I'm sad to say that I haven't sone much that one since I've gotten it. It sat in my girlfriends back yard for a while until I moved into a new place. At least it's at my own house now. I've managed to sand and primer some rust. Once I get the red one running I'll be pulling your old one in the garage to pull the trans. I'm hoping it's just a trans seal. After that I'll have some decisions to make.

Trust me, that trans is toast. I tell ya though, old school automatics like that are so much better than the chictronic in the passat I got as a replacement. Never ever shifts when I want it to, at least non-electronic ones have predictable shift points so once you get to know the car you can get it to shift when you want.
I think the only thing that keeps me sane is most of my commute is on the interstate so its in one gear and I forget all about it being an autotragic(has its down sides too, like slamming on the brake thinking its the clutch... wow B5 passats stop fast though
)

#214 ·

Quote, originally posted by InSaNeBoY »

Trust me, that trans is toast.

Really b/c when you sold it to me you were trying to convince me that it was just leaking and I should bring a few gallons of trans fluid with me and drive it back to Ohio.

#218 ·

Really b/c when you sold it to me you were trying to convince me that it was just leaking and I should bring a few gallons of trans fluid with me and drive it back to Ohio.

I was trying to convince you to get the fluid so you could test drive it and get it on the trailer. Because that car drove REALLY nice until that seal failed. Luckally, it managed to move under its own power onto the trailer... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
You might get away with just replacing the seal... but I really think that trans is toast.

#219 ·
Re: What did you do to your Quantum today? (JohnBarleyCorn)

Quote, originally posted by JohnBarleyCorn »

I do know there a diesel wagon autotragic with a bad motor for sale in FL right now asking $1k with about 80/90k on it......

there ya go chris. just what you were looking for!

#220 ·

And if that's what you really want you can buy my 84 TD wagon with some rust but 129k and a magnificent drivetrain (5-spd)....then you'll have a non-rusty shell and a great engine with your choice of 5-spd or autotragic....or just buy my 84 and swap the drivetrain into your auto wagon.

Did I mention you can buy my 84?

#221 ·
Gave my 84 a facelift!

Before it had these on it:

Now it looks like this:

I was missing the rubber hood trim strip and the under light trim, but I threw my euro grill in there and apparently it's the same as a USA late model grill....or at least it looks to be. So I rewired the 9004's in there and have to wait for some turn signal parts to finish that, but who needs those anyway

I had to move the relay on the driver side since it was kind of in the way of the bulb connector. So I found it lines up perfectly with the next set of holes and draw-tited it in there and it's nice and stable.

Just getting to the wiring for the passenger side was a PITA, but it all worked out.

Also don't forget to drill out the rivets for the metal trim on the hood or you'll smash your lights closing the hood. Just 3 rivets on either side. and you can unscrew and peel off the plastic leading edge trim on the hood too to replace it with the rubber trim form the new models.

I also have yet to relay the lights, which will happen sometime very soon.
And if you're lazy, you can buy a relayed plug 'n play harness to convert to 9004, but you'll still probably need to connect in the turns yourself...haven't looked at my 86 yet to see the connector.

#223 ·
Re: What did you do to your Quantum today? (JohnBarleyCorn)

And if that's what you really want you can buy my 84 TD wagon with some rust but 129k and a magnificent drivetrain (5-spd)....then you'll have a non-rusty shell and a great engine with your choice of 5-spd or autotragic....or just buy my 84 and swap the drivetrain into your auto wagon.

Did I mention you can buy my 84?

I think I'm done buying cars for a while.

#226 ·
Re: What did you do to your Quantum today? (VW Nevada)

Quote, originally posted by VW Nevada »
That two door Fox Wagon looks GREAT!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks...too bad that's not it's good side. Had a little fender bender a few months back. Other wise it's never been into an accident. Put a new fender on but the sheet metal underneath still needs a little work so I can put my smoke marker that's missing in that picture.
Working on a turbo set up for it as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

What's the matter? Are you a quitter?

No quitting here man! Just concentrating on the fleet I already have.

Anyway for Quantum content. Today I did some more research on wiring the MC up in my QSW. Would love to take a nice winter road trip in this this season.

Modified by DubbinChris at 9:01 PM 9-26-2009

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.