Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unpaid parking tix = Find yourself in a van down by the river

1. 08-04-2008 06:14 PM #1
      Milwaukee man faces foreclosure because he didn’t pay parking fine
      The ticket went unpaid for four years, eventually amounting to $2,600 in fines
      By RAQUEL RUTLEDGE

Peter Tubic ignored a $50 parking fine in 2004, and on Monday, it cost him his $245,000 house.

Among other health issues he's dealing with, Peter Tubic has had headaches dealing with his van, which is parked in his driveway without a license plates. He faces foreclosure on his home and is in a dispute with the city over citations he received for the van's lack of plates.
      Nitty Gritty
      A Milwaukee man received a $50 fine for parking a van with no license plates in his driveway. He ignored the ticket for more than four years, and last week the city foreclosed on his house.

In what city officials believe is the first case of its kind, the city foreclosed on Tubic's house on W. Verona Court after repeated attempts to collect the fine - which over the years had escalated to $2,600 - had failed.

"Our goal isn't to acquire parcels," said Jim Klajbor, special deputy city treasurer. "Our goal is to just collect taxes. . . . It is only as a last resort that we would pursue . . . foreclosure."

Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Richard Sankovitz technically stayed the judgment to give Tubic one last chance to explain why he hasn't paid or even responded, but Sankovitz ruled in favor of the city's foreclosure.

"The city was entitled to a judgment," Sankovitz told Public Investigator on Thursday. "There hadn't been an answer to the complaint."

Tubic takes the blame for disregarding the 15 or more notices he received seeking payment and warning of the pending foreclosure on the house, which was fully paid off, but says he had good reason.

He was physically and psychologically unable to handle the situation, he says.

According to the Social Security Administration, Tubic, 62, has been disabled since 2001. He has been diagnosed with psychological disorders that limit his "ability to understand, remember and carry out detailed instructions," according to documents from the administration.

In addition he suffers from chronic pain caused by degenerative diseases of the knees and spine, as well as chronic respiratory disease, diabetes and obesity, among other ailments.

In several lengthy conversations with the P.I. Team spanning two weeks, Tubic frequently grunted in pain and broke down in tears.

"They're trying to take my house away for a parking violation," Tubic said. "I know it was my own fault for letting it drag on, I've been under mental duress. I haven't been able to handle this."

Janine Geske, a former Wisconsin Supreme Court justice and law professor at Marquette University, called the case a human tragedy and an example of how people can fall through the cracks in the system.

"It seems like a drastic remedy," Geske said of the city's foreclosure. "But on the other hand the city has to enforce its zoning laws. I don't fault the city for that.

"It's a shame someone didn't intervene to help him. . . . It would be nice if someone who worked for government would take the time and say 'let's look at this and see if we're doing the right thing.' . . . It would be nice if they would remember the human factor here."

Tubic first got the fine for parking his Ford E150 with no license plates in the driveway of the home, which belonged to his parents at the time . The radiator had broken and Tubic couldn't get his plates renewed unless the van passed an emissions test. He didn't have the money to make the repair and had more pressing worries, he said.

His father was suffering from dementia. His mother was battling cancer, and he was their live-in caretaker. He needed to shop, cook, clean, maintain the house and tend to his parents' needs.

The van repair could wait, he thought.

Then a man from the city showed up and told him otherwise. It was February 2004. Tubic would have to move the van or get license plates for it within 30 days, per city zoning codes, the man said. Somebody had complained.

Several days later Tubic's dad died. Tubic was overwhelmed, he said.

"It was a combination of things financial and emotional, my caregiving role, all heaped themselves on me at the wrong time," he said. "I still don't function well."

Month after month the city Department of Neighborhood Services sent an inspector to the house to see if the van had moved or had license plates. Each time a new fee was assessed. And a letter was sent to Tubic's home.

At no time did Tubic call or write to object or explain his circumstances, city officials said. So the bureaucratic cog kept turning.

Tubic's $50 fine escalated to $1,475, and after it was clear he wasn't going to respond, the city filed a tax lien. While Tubic paid the property taxes, he never paid the $1,475 for the zoning violation. With interest and penalties, he owed $2,645 before the city foreclosed on Monday.

Ronald Roberts, a code enforcement manager with the Department of Neighborhood Services, said the zoning code that prohibits people from parking unlicensed vehicles in their driveways is aimed at keeping residential properties from looking like junkyards.

The city issues about 1,500 fines for such "nuisance" violations - which also include illegally placed trash - every year. Many are for repeat inspections.

"Put yourself in the position of the neighbors," Roberts said.

Turns out in this case the neighbors weren't the ones to complain. Tubic had not been getting along with his brother, and his brother made the call. His brother, Jovon Tubic, said he called at the request of their mother, according to a letter from Jovon to Peter Tubic.

"One day in a very bad mood, Mom told me to get rid of the cars in the driveway right away," he wrote.

Peter Tubic, who ran unsuccessfully for the 97th District state assembly seat in 1996 and again in 1998, said he tried to explain to city inspectors that this was an internal family dispute but that inspectors "didn't want to hear it."

"If a violation exists, a violation exists," Roberts said. "We're going to enforce a violation.

"If someone says, 'I'm dealing with a death,' we're going to be reasonable and give them a 30-day extension," he said. "But $1,475, that's a lot of months mourning - not to be insensitive."

Roberts noted that every notice sent to Tubic had clearly written instructions on how to contest the fines.

Roberts said inspectors were not aware of Tubic's mental health issues. When contacted by the P.I. Team before the foreclosure, city officials appeared split over how to handle the case.

"If you're telling me we had a mentally anguished individual and that inspectors made no attempts to get at that, that can be considered," Roberts told P.I. "There will have to be some serious evidence. But if we were . . . deaf to that point, I would be willing to reconsider some of those fees."
      Not much left to do

Don Schaewe, supervisor of the city's nuisance section, said he recently spoke with Tubic and that Tubic "provided a whole lot of excuses as to why he didn't comply."

"At this point," Schaewe said. "There's really not too much that would allow us to reverse those charges."

A court hearing is scheduled for Sept. 11. If the city retains ownership of the house, Tubic can remain there as a renter until the house is sold, said Andrea Rowe Richards, spokeswoman for the Department of City Development. After that, the new homeowners can decide if they want to continue renting out the house.

Tubic said he set aside $2,600 in an escrow account "to protect the estate in case I die" but didn't want to use it to pay for the parking violation.

Judge Sankovitz called the case a shame and said it demonstrates the need for judges to have authority to appoint attorneys for people involved in civil litigation.

"If you were a criminal, we'd take care of the whole problem for you, get you an attorney," he said. "But if you're involved in civil litigation - in jeopardy of losing your house or your family . . . what we do is make you go out and find your own attorney.

"If we gave people the help they needed near the beginning of their problem, their problems wouldn't snowball the way they do."

08-04-2008 06:17 PM #2
      sad

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      08-04-2008 06:21 PM #3
      That you can't have a car without a license plate sitting in your own driveway is kind of a dumb zoning law but come on man, you couldn't scrounge up $50? You think the city would just let that go?
      Esi ϟ Disi

08-04-2008 06:22 PM #4
      well it says the man was mentally incapable of keeping tabs on such things.

law is law i guess :/

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      08-04-2008 06:24 PM #5
      Under too much stress to put a $50 check in an envelope and mail it to the city? Too much stress to answer one of those WE BUY JUNK CARS ads in trhe paper? For months on end? BS.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      08-04-2008 06:28 PM #6
      Under too much stress to BACK YOUR CAR IN?

08-04-2008 06:29 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
      Under too much stress to put a $50 check in an envelope and mail it to the city? Too much stress to answer one of those WE BUY JUNK CARS ads in trhe paper? For months on end? BS.

Sadly, anyone that didn't figure out it would have been cheaper to sell the van to a scrapyard and pay the fine isn't competant enough to make any life decisions for themselves anymore. I'm guessing he would need to be moved to a social security paid group home or something.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      08-04-2008 06:29 PM #8

I've heard of stuff like that happening with organic brain damage or other neurological injuries - but unless he's got one of those, I'm callin' BS too. Far more likely that he got stubborn, thought he could tell the city to go **** itself, and then reaped the whirlwind. Sucks that they're foreclosing on his house, but...yikes.

IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

9. 08-04-2008 06:34 PM #9
      Quote »
      Tubic said he set aside $2,600 in an escrow account "to protect the estate in case I die" but didn't want to use it to pay for the parking violation.

?

Vehicles
      turbo Miata track toy, stock Miata daily
      08-04-2008 06:36 PM #10
      frankly, I don't see why we don't just execute him. I mean, the guy didn't pay, chop is head off. If you're not going to produce revenue for your city, what good are you? If you don't send in the money you owe in arbitrary ordinance violations, how are we going to pay representatives to give out contracts to build toll roads?

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia
      08-04-2008 06:37 PM #11
      That zoning law is a bit absurd. I was on the man's side until I read that the property taxes were always paid...
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to the VW Cabriolets
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Vehicles
      08-04-2008 06:39 PM #12
      Maybe a bit insenstive but seriously...

Esi ϟ Disi

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Z4 M Coupe, 2009 328i, 2010 GTI
      08-04-2008 06:46 PM #13
      So you're not allowed to park an unregistered car in your own driveway? Pretty stupid law if you ask me.

Vehicles
      turbo Miata track toy, stock Miata daily
      08-04-2008 06:49 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by acceleration »
      So you're not allowed to park an unregistered car in your own driveway? Pretty stupid law if you ask me.

I scored a lease violation once for checking my oil at an old apartment.

Vehicles
      08-04-2008 06:49 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by acceleration »

I think it has to do with some blight law the city might have. I think you can have it in the drive but it has to be out of view from the street.

Esi ϟ Disi

16. 08-04-2008 06:54 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by VarianceVQ »

I think it has to do with some blight law the city might have. I think you can have it in the drive but it has to be out of view from the street.

I could understand that if it was a parts car, or on blocks, but even then I should be able to park whatever I want on my property.

Vehicles
      2007 Stark Industries Runabout 1500
      08-04-2008 06:55 PM #17
      Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

End of efffing story.

Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

Vehicles
      2009 Cobalt SS
      08-04-2008 07:06 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by troze1200 »

I scored a lease violation once for checking my oil at an old apartment.

You're ****ting me!

Story.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      08-04-2008 07:07 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by Vw_herbie »

I could understand that if it was a parts car, or on blocks, but even then I should be able to park whatever I want on my property.

Which is exactly the mentality that leads people to park rusting Park Avenues in their front yards for 15 years. Fail.

IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

20. 08-04-2008 07:11 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by Kar98 »
      Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

End of efffing story.

Constitutional rights?

21. 08-04-2008 07:17 PM #21
      ahhh Milwaukee, What other crap has come from this city.

http://www.worst-city.com/Milw...t.htm

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
      Population: 600,000

Worst Feature: Oppressive Cold and Oppressive Unemployment

Best Feature: Beer, lots of Beer

Milwaukee is another example of urban blight in America and failed industrial cities.

Like Camden and Buffalo, Milwaukee faces the ravages of high unemployment and a high poverty level. Burnt out buildings and abandoned factories dot the landscape.

They also have lousy weather. Although three out of the four major American Brewing companies that called Milwaukee home have closed down, thanks to Miller, the oh so sweet smell of brewers yeast and hops does still fill the air reminding residents and visitors alike that the best thing you can do in Milwaukee is just get drunk.

Milwaukee Has Nation's Second-Worst Unemployment Rate, Study Shows
      10/17/2007 -- A new survey shows Milwaukee is runner-up when it comes to unemployment in the nation's largest cities.

According to a study out of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, eight percent of Milwaukee residents either working, or looking for work, said they couldn't find a job in August. Only Detroit -- at 15.1 percent -- was worse.

The study's author said the number reflects the city's low rate of college graduates and a high degree of segregation. Some job seekers said they find mistakes made in their past play a major role in being unable to find employment.

"It reflects on me now, even though I may have paid my debts to society, or did what I had to do to clean up and be a better person, but it's still there," said job-seeker Tarrance Collins, Sr.

HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Vehicles
      08-04-2008 07:19 PM #22

End of efffing story.

He had ample opportunity to avoid it coming to the city foreclosing on his house.

Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      2007 Stark Industries Runabout 1500
      08-04-2008 07:22 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by VarianceVQ »

He had ample opportunity to avoid it coming to the city foreclosing on his house.

And the accumulated $2,645 are STILL not a justification to seize a $245,000 house. Yes, he's an ******. So? If being an ****** was illegal I'd be serving 20 to life.

Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

24. 08-04-2008 07:28 PM #24

I kinda agree. He had four years, common, Im sure he had notice.

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg
      08-04-2008 07:31 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by troze1200 »
      frankly, I don't see why we don't just execute him. I mean, the guy didn't pay, chop is head off.

I LOL'ed at this.

Go Gators!

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      08-04-2008 08:43 PM #26
      Stories like this just make me sad. Yeah, he let it slide too long but taking his house ?? If he ends up on the streets, he's going to cost the city a lot more than $2600 one way or another.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      08-04-2008 08:55 PM #27

And the accumulated $2,645 are STILL not a justification to seize a $245,000 house. Yes, he's an ******. So? If being an ****** was illegal I'd be serving 20 to life.

Well, they'll take his house.
      Sell it
      Subtract $2,645+ costs to sell from whatever it sells for
      Give him or whoever hold title (mortgage company, other lien holders, etc) the remainder. Whoever that is will be getting a $200k+ check. If that's him, I'm sure he'll be able to find *something* with that.

This isn't a seizure, it's debt collection.

Dumbass should have paid his bills or fought them.
      He did nothing at all. Like any other entity, the government acted to get what was owed.

Modified by nm+ at 4:58 PM 8-4-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

08-04-2008 10:12 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by + »

Month after month the city Department of Neighborhood Services sent an inspector to the house to see if the van had moved or had license plates. Each time a new fee was assessed. And a letter was sent to Tubic's home.

See. This gets me. You'll take a ride to the house, check the van out but won't even knock on the door to talk to the guy?

29. 08-04-2008 10:13 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by vdubjb »

I'm pretty sure he can find people who would love to buy that van and convert it to a 'Free Candy' transport...

Vehicles
      originR
      08-04-2008 10:19 PM #30
      this is a time to say, PHUCK the law.. who says that I cannot keep an unplated ehicle in my driveway! MY driveway that I OWN, that I pay poerperty taxes on! I feel for this guy.. throw away the "law" and take a look at common sense.. I own the property, if want to keep an unplated vehcile on MY property, who's to tell me otherwise!!! Government

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      08-05-2008 01:40 AM #31
      In Soviet Milwaukee, the law focks YOU.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

32. 08-05-2008 01:41 AM #32
      Why not just leave the plates on the van? I'm sure it was plated at SOME point, just don't take them off... I wonder if that law specifically states that the car needs up to date registration, or just plates?

33. Banned
      08-05-2008 01:42 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by nm+ »

Dumbass should have paid his bills or fought them.
      He did nothing at all. Like any other entity, the government acted to get what was owed.

Vehicles
      08-05-2008 01:56 AM #34
      Quote, originally posted by gintaras »
      this is a time to say, PHUCK the law.. who says that I cannot keep an unplated ehicle in my driveway! MY driveway that I OWN, that I pay poerperty taxes on! I feel for this guy.. throw away the "law" and take a look at common sense.. I own the property, if want to keep an unplated vehcile on MY property, who's to tell me otherwise!!! Government

Like I said, having an old junker like that sitting out like that could be considered a blight. It's something that can make the neighborhood look worse and can bring down property values in the neighborhood if it isn't moved.

Esi ϟ Disi

35. Banned
      08-05-2008 01:56 AM #35
      yes milwaukee does blow.

we have roads rated WORSE than Detroit.

we have a city govt. that likes to tax b/c of irresponsible spending.

the latest? a 20 dollar wheel tax for roads.

oh wait doesn't the gas tax cover the roads? why yes it does.

but we're socialists.

i admit this guy didn't do anything to help himself but Milwaukee likes to do this when need be:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast