Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ***'99 1.8t Owners Class Action Lawsuit***

Vehicles
      81 Westy
      08-05-2008 10:05 AM #1
      Have any 1999 1.8t owners got the notice of a class action lawsuit against VW??

I received it yesterday. It basically stated that because of a lawsuit against VW they are extending their warranty to cover any timing belt related maintenance repairs.

It went on to say that if repairs have already been made, they are fully redeemable with proof of work and cost.

Wondering who else got this and if anyone has gone through the process yet???

Getlow

2. 08-05-2008 07:49 PM #2
      Got it a few days ago myself. It looks like it may just cover damage related to a failed timing belt, but I'll probably submit my receipts for replacing the belt as previously recommended. It's worth a shot, as it was ~$600.

If anybody knows otherwise, I'm also interested.

Vehicles
      81 Westy
      08-06-2008 11:04 AM #3
      I am doing the same
      Getlow

Vehicles
      Black mk4 on crappy Lbs
      08-07-2008 09:41 PM #4
      just got mines today

5. 08-11-2008 06:03 PM #5
      havent gotten a letter but my friend who had two tt's got two letters.
      does the lawsuit cover 99's only?

Vehicles
      RIP 2001 Jetta 1.8T, 2009 Jetta SE 2.5L, 2013 Jetta SE 2.5L 6AT
      08-11-2008 06:55 PM #6
      i got one in for my 2001 1.8t
      I love Yoga pants.

K
      CCO

7. 06-10-2011 10:56 PM #7
      If you follow VW's oil change schedule, the engine will sluge up and DIE VERY PREMATURELY... I know the call for SYNTHETIC FROM THE FACTORY but however the miles they say to go between oil changes is WAY TO LONG ie WAY TOO MANY MILES and the end result is an engine FULL OF SLUDGE AND GRIME, EVEN WITH SYNTHETIC OIL!!! This is HORRIBLE especially for a turbo go.. I think we all know why that is on here so i'm not going to go into why that's the worst thing to have happen toa a turbo car (SLUGE,GRIME)... SO MY $8,000 question (about the cost of the dealer to replace the engine for each of us) is WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE TIMING BELT?? When someone figures the logic behind that one, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! (THANK GOD I GOT THE 30V AUDI 2.8 w/ 4Motion) I really wanted the a TURBO ENGINE until I did my research on this.. THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET! PEACE GUYS! AND I WISH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU GETS A NEW MOTOR PUT IN DUE TO VW's DEFECT.. Seriously, this is crazy how they are all failing now.. LOOK IT UP.. AND IF you have a TURBO MOTOR.. Take it DIRECTLY TO THE DEALER.. Do no settle for them to put new oil lines on the turbo and to clean the sludge out of your engine.. No matter how good of a oil filter you have, SLUDGE = PREMATURE WEAR. Cause a scene, yell, do what you have to do to get a new engine out of their design defect.. I wonder who designed that one,, That Germans or the Mexicans or the Americans in the Tennessee Pant.. I'm 99% sure the car was built in either MEXICO, CHATTANOOGA opps the Tennsessee plants JUST OPENED, or the Brazilians in the BRAZIL plant or could it be the PLANT IN INDIA?!? WTF THEY HAVE PLANTS EVERYWHERE!! I had NO IDEA OF THIS: Volkswagen has factories in many parts of the world, manufacturing or assembling vehicles for local markets. Volkswagen has manufacturing or assembly plants in Germany, China, India, Russia, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Spain, Poland, Mexico, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and South Africa. Volkswagen also has a new plant in the United States. In 2011, it was named in the top 25 largest companies in the world by the Forbes Global 2000. [32][33] OK... Sorry about my rant... But PLEASE CHECK YOUR ENGINE FOR SLUDGE AND PRAY THE PRIOR OWNER HAS THEIR OIL CHANGE SERVICES DONE AT THE VM STEALERSHIP!! AND IF THEY DID AND YOU GOT SLUDGE THE GET YOU A NEW ENGINE PAID FOR AND INSTALLED BY VW, it certainly looks like they ca afford it.. One last thing.. all I know this being a problem on is passats because the engine is mounted longitudinally and where else its mounted transversely on EVERYTHING ELSE... SO IT HAS TO BE A PASSAT ONLY ISSUE...

PEACE - PassAudi2.8

Vehicles
      09 Saab 9-3 2.0t, NA Miata 1.6, 98 Jetta K2
      06-10-2011 11:08 PM #8
      ^unclear why this rant is posted... but ok^

anyway, I'd imagine this lawsuit is about covering any damages due to premature failure of the timing belt. For instance if you follow the original factory recommended t-belt service schedule, but your timing belt lets go early and you end up putting a new head on the engine, I think that's what this lawsuit is about.

The oil sludge is an entire separate issue (with another class action lawsuit I believe).

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Passat GLS
      06-12-2011 10:17 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 01PassAudi2.8 View Post
      If you follow VW's oil change schedule, the engine will sluge up and DIE VERY PREMATURELY... I know the call for SYNTHETIC FROM THE FACTORY but however the miles they say to go between oil changes is WAY TO LONG ie WAY TOO MANY MILES and the end result is an engine FULL OF SLUDGE AND GRIME, EVEN WITH SYNTHETIC OIL!!! This is HORRIBLE especially for a turbo go.. I think we all know why that is on here so i'm not going to go into why that's the worst thing to have happen toa a turbo car (SLUGE,GRIME)... SO MY $8,000 question (about the cost of the dealer to replace the engine for each of us) is WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE TIMING BELT?? When someone figures the logic behind that one, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! (THANK GOD I GOT THE 30V AUDI 2.8 w/ 4Motion) I really wanted the a TURBO ENGINE until I did my research on this.. THANK GOD FOR THE INTERNET! PEACE GUYS! AND I WISH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU GETS A NEW MOTOR PUT IN DUE TO VW's DEFECT.. Seriously, this is crazy how they are all failing now.. LOOK IT UP.. AND IF you have a TURBO MOTOR.. Take it DIRECTLY TO THE DEALER.. Do no settle for them to put new oil lines on the turbo and to clean the sludge out of your engine.. No matter how good of a oil filter you have, SLUDGE = PREMATURE WEAR. Cause a scene, yell, do what you have to do to get a new engine out of their design defect.. I wonder who designed that one,, That Germans or the Mexicans or the Americans in the Tennessee Pant.. I'm 99% sure the car was built in either MEXICO, CHATTANOOGA opps the Tennsessee plants JUST OPENED, or the Brazilians in the BRAZIL plant or could it be the PLANT IN INDIA?!? WTF THEY HAVE PLANTS EVERYWHERE!! I had NO IDEA OF THIS: Volkswagen has factories in many parts of the world, manufacturing or assembling vehicles for local markets. Volkswagen has manufacturing or assembly plants in Germany, China, India, Russia, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Spain, Poland, Mexico, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and South Africa. Volkswagen also has a new plant in the United States. In 2011, it was named in the top 25 largest companies in the world by the Forbes Global 2000. [32][33] OK... Sorry about my rant... But PLEASE CHECK YOUR ENGINE FOR SLUDGE AND PRAY THE PRIOR OWNER HAS THEIR OIL CHANGE SERVICES DONE AT THE VM STEALERSHIP!! AND IF THEY DID AND YOU GOT SLUDGE THE GET YOU A NEW ENGINE PAID FOR AND INSTALLED BY VW, it certainly looks like they ca afford it.. One last thing.. all I know this being a problem on is passats because the engine is mounted longitudinally and where else its mounted transversely on EVERYTHING ELSE... SO IT HAS TO BE A PASSAT ONLY ISSUE...

PEACE - PassAudi2.8
      Don't drink and post.

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      06-12-2011 10:36 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ppap View Post
      Don't drink and post.
      (GRIN) And, his rant is completely unrelated to the THREE YEAR OLD topic. Must'a missed that!

11. 06-13-2011 07:03 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ppap View Post
      Don't drink and post.
      only reason the **** is for passats is they have a smaller oil pan then the transverse cars they only hold 4 quarts of oil teamed with a hot turbo does not mix well and even the reason sludge happens is the owners fault for not doing maintenance on there car mine wasnt even maintained correctly and mine doesnt have sludge issues.proper oil changes can keep sludge at bay.and use proper oil that is not sum cheap ass oil