Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Driven: 2009 Audi RS 6 Avant

1. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      08-06-2008 02:03 AM #1

With every European car manufacturer it seems, there will always be a selection of models not available on the left side of the Atlantic – the greener grass on the other side of a row of pickets. For Audi, there is no more in-your-face example of this European forbidden fruit than the latest and greatest RS 6 Avant. And even though a more American mainstream-friendly sedan is known to be on the way, there’s been no mention of any potential sale of the car in the States. That said, the car hasn’t exactly been ruled out yet either and, combined with our own taste fruit we’re told we can’t eat, we headed to Germany’s Eurospeedway Lausitz to get sample the car.

Full Story

2. 08-06-2008 08:45 AM #2
      I agree that an Avant would be more popular in the US. The RS6 is an Audi enthusiast's car. And Audi enthusiasts (like me) love their Avants. The advent of another sedan would be following the old motive of "trying to recruit" new enthusiasts / buyers. And this is a niche performer, not a recruiter. Besides~ wagons are becoming more popular in the US overall.

3. 08-06-2008 09:50 AM #3
      drool

4. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      08-06-2008 10:42 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by S8Ns »
      I agree that an Avant would be more popular in the US. The RS6 is an Audi enthusiast's car. And Audi enthusiasts (like me) love their Avants. The advent of another sedan would be following the old motive of "trying to recruit" new enthusiasts / buyers. And this is a niche performer, not a recruiter. Besides~ wagons are becoming more popular in the US overall.

Good points. Welcome to Fourtitude BTW.

5. 08-06-2008 01:26 PM #5
      George,
      Other than the extra power, was there a large difference between the RS6 and your S6?
      You mentioned that the steering was similar, but what about handling?
      Thanks

And yes the Avant is much better looking than the sedan, but Americans, in general still see it as a station wagon. As much as I would love to have the RS6 come in Avant form to the US, I think it would be a mistake for Audi to do it.

6. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      08-06-2008 02:10 PM #6
      The adjustable suspension - basically the suspension portion of the same technology found in the Audi Drive Select system we've seen in B8 cars, is considerably better and more variable than the S6's steel sprung, non-adjustable setup. I love the S6 and it handles like a car its size has no right handling, but the RS6's comfort mode was more comfortable and sport mode more sporting. There was basically more range.

7. 08-06-2008 08:40 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by S8Ns »

Uh, maybe? Didn't Audi only sell like 300 S4 Avants last year? I just have to believe, unfortunately, that the days of Audi bringing over the power-wagons may be long gone.

8. 08-13-2008 03:30 PM #8
      I don't know how many S4 Avants were sold last year. Is 300 accurate? What would be even more accurate & descriptive is the percentage increase YTY, sold. You can make much wiser predictions using % / T as opposed to one year's factor. I'm basing my assumptions (and that's all they are) on my ambiguous observation of seeing more wagons on the market and on American roads. As I said: The RS6 (Avant or Sedan) is an enthusiast's car", not a mass prod. Thus, catering to mass prod., in my opinion (for what it isn't worth), would be a mistake. Instead~ cater to the folks who will actually purchase an RS6. I for one did not buy one in 03 because it wasn't an Avant. (Instead I bought a TT 225) I also had a chance to buy one 3 months ago, cherry & heavily discounted from market, but did not. Why? Because it's not what I want. And I know many others who have the same discerning attitude, who are actually in a position to move on it. I've owned an S4 Avant, S8 & TT 225... all Audi pinnacles in my opinion. I chose the 225 over the more powerful 3.2 simply because it's more fun than the DSG and the engineering is more interesting. Similarly~ if the RS6 / S6 avant doesn't make it across the pond... I'm out. I'll buy the new forced induc. S4 Avant. The market will be tough this year. All of the $30K millionaires are losing their credit & leverage, so they will be stuck with their H2s & C230s. Yet another good reason to target the BUYING enthusiasts. Audi since 99 & still pushing on all four's.

Vehicles
      Corrado
      08-20-2008 09:29 PM #9
      they made the mistake of not bringing S cars over in the past. lets just hope they dont do it again. But if anything i would rather see the avant over here than the sedan.
      Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
      BTW: E30s are slow. How coud you want to trade one of god's chariots, the MK2 VR6, for a common place econobox?

Vehicles
      1988 GLI
      08-20-2008 09:45 PM #10
      awesome car, but I'd still rather have this:

1988 GLI 16V | fuelly | facebook | IG: @wolfsburgfanatic

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2.0, 3.2
      08-20-2008 11:04 PM #11
      Quote »
      much less a twin-turbocharged 5.0-liter V10 fitted with two turbochargers.

12. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      08-20-2008 11:43 PM #12
      Did I mention it has a pair of turbos? Fixed. Thanks.

13. 08-21-2008 01:26 AM #13
      Amazing car, but gosh, a traditional auto instead of DSG? Is that really true? Slightly unrelated, but I really think Audi is making a mistake not differentiating the DSG trans from the older autos in their naming conventions (tiptronic). Not to mention is damn near impossible to tell the difference when looking at a brochure or website.

edit: my bad, I was just looking at the spec sheet and the DSG version is called "S-tronic" not tiptronic. Tiptronic just refers to the manual mode of the transmission.

Modified by justinperkins at 10:34 PM 8-20-2008

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2.0, 3.2
      08-21-2008 10:28 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by George@Fourtitude »
      Did I mention it has a pair of turbos? Fixed. Thanks.

no problemo

15. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      08-21-2008 02:37 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by justinperkins »
      Amazing car, but gosh, a traditional auto instead of DSG? Is that really true? Slightly unrelated, but I really think Audi is making a mistake not differentiating the DSG trans from the older autos in their naming conventions (tiptronic). Not to mention is damn near impossible to tell the difference when looking at a brochure or website.

edit: my bad, I was just looking at the spec sheet and the DSG version is called "S-tronic" not tiptronic. Tiptronic just refers to the manual mode of the transmission.

Modified by justinperkins at 10:34 PM 8-20-2008

Nothing else in the partsbin currently can handle the torque FWIW.

In Audi speak:

Tiptronic - torque converter automatic with manual shift controller on center console and optional paddles.

Multitronic - chain-driven CVT (fwd longitudinal applications only) with manual shift controller on center console and optional paddles to shift between 7 pre-set ratios.

Stronic - 6-speed dual clutch DSG sequential for transverse, 7-speed DSG for longitudinal

Rtronic - 6-speed single clutch sequential for mid-mounted engine in R8... also used in Lamborghini Gallardo.

16. 08-21-2008 11:34 PM #16
      Thanks for the clarification on terminology

Quote, originally posted by George@Fourtitude »
      Nothing else in the partsbin currently can handle the torque

What about the Veyron? Guess that trans is a little out of the RS6 price range ... at least for the time being

Modified by justinperkins at 8:35 PM 8-21-2008

17. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      08-21-2008 11:39 PM #17
      Veyron is mid-engined and uses a dual clutch DSG-style transmission sourced from Ricardo that's unrelated to any of the ones listed above. There's no front-longitudinal application that I know of.