VWVortex

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Unofficial" DSG Issues Thread

Vehicles
      MKVI Jetta S, CR-V (RM4)
      12-11-2008 01:19 PM #36
      06' GTI
      60K mi

Studdering, banging noises, and minor hp lunge when the DSG downshifts when the clutch disengages from 1rst coming to a stop. VW said it was normal but when they reset my MCU the problem dissappeared, now 15k mi later the symptoms are back and im **** outta warranty.

VW - 8
      Me - 0

12-14-2008 02:31 AM #37
      So i've had this problem for a really long time and not sure if it's something that I should be concerned about, here it is.

MKV R32, 10k miles

1. During stop and go traffic, sometimes when I hit the gas, there will be a slight hesitation, the RPM will drop below idle to like 300 rpm, then jump back up to like 1000 rpm in an instant, you can hear clunking noise and the car has a big jerk

2. The moment that I come to a complete stop, or right before a complete stop, the same would happen, drop below idle, spike back up a bit and the car jerks

3. From R-D, same thing, drop below idle, spike back up a bit and the car jerks

All 3 problems only happens occasionaly, like once or twice a week for each scenario. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't duplicate the problem....as always,

Anyone else have the same problem or know what this might be?

I drive in D most of the time if that helps.

My own wildest guess is that since DSG is a twin clutch, it sometimes gets confused on which gear I am trying to get to next or should I be in neutral etc etc and hence the jerk cause it might placed me in somewhere that's not where I wanted it to be and then when it realized and changed the gear accordingly, the jerk happeend. Not a mechanic or anything, just my throwing possibilities out there, which I could be totally wrong

12-27-2008 11:26 PM #38
      (see my post in this forum)

'06 A3

Had a major DSG Cut (punch the gas, realize you have depressed the accelerator too far, let up on accelerator, the depress accelerator slightly, the DSG freezes briefly, not know if your stopping or accelerating).

From my post in this forum, I have went from thinking the issue was ABS related to being DSG related.

Last week I lower my tire pressure and now my short squeals at the shift points is all over the place (more traction with lower tire pressure?). At the higher tire pressure the short squeals happened under medium to WOT acceleration from a stop.

"Sportback's Rule, Sedan's Drool."
      ||| Ruby Q - 2009 A3 2.0T Quattro|Aruba Blue|S line|Nav|CW|Conv|Open Sky|PSS10|APR S1|Nitto Motivo|K&N |||
      ||| RIP 03-12-10|76,500 miles|2006 A3 2.0T|Ocean Blue|Open Sky|KW V2|Neuspeed RSB|APR S1|BSH TM|B/S RE760|K&N |||

4. 12-31-2008 01:15 PM #39
      1. 2005 A3
      2. 39K

Most of the time I experience a jerkiness going from gears 1-2-3 in D mode. Higher gears are smooth.

Is this normal or is something not right? If I use the paddles and allow the engine higher revs before changing it seems to be smoother in the lower gears.

I've only recently bought the car and it was serviced by Audi 4 months ago, which involved changing the trans fluid so I assume this is normal for DSG

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      01-14-2009 12:27 AM #40
      2008 GTI
      15,000mi
      On my 2nd Mechatronics unit which has been re-adapted 3 times. Bucking when accelerating slowly, looks like a n00b on a 6spd. Rough upshifts whether in Manual Mode or Drive. Rough downshifts all the time, sometimes causes the brakes to lock and ABS to kick in. Seems like the clutch doesn't want to disengage and makes a clunking noise when coming to a stop. When pulling away from a stop light/sign the car will SLOWLY accelerate into the middle of the intersection at which point decide it needs to do more downshifting (which causes the car to stop for about 3-5 seconds) then it catches and drives normally. The dealership now says my car works within spec and they won't repair it anymore - people who drive my car that I haven't mentioned the problem to ask me, "what's wrong with your car?"

Am I alone here or are we starting to see a pattern?

2012 GLI TR 6MT
      APR ECU / APR DP+AWE Track / Carbonio / FK Konigs

6. 01-30-2009 05:30 PM #41

1. 06 VW NEW GTI
      2. 36K
      3. I noticed that there was a bit of a delay when shifting from 3rd to 4th in Auto mode. Took it in last weekend and I was advised that the mechatronic had to be replaced. It's been ordered, however, I have a feeling It'll be a while before I see her again. Thank goodness for warranty!

I must say I am a bit disappointed with the GTI in terms of quality. This is the 3rd time I've taken it in for a transmission related issue. I take care of my car quite well. Very rarely do I ever use manual mode (except when I'm on the highway, of course ). Performance-wise, it's one of the best cars I've ever driven...an absolute joy to drive! It's just sad that I may end up getting rid of the car before my warranty expires just to avoid any more costs due to faulty craftsmanship.

7. 02-02-2009 07:56 AM #42

1. 06 VW NEW GTI
      2. 36K
      3. I noticed that there was a bit of a delay when shifting from 3rd to 4th in Auto mode. Took it in last weekend and I was advised that the mechatronic had to be replaced. It's been ordered, however, I have a feeling It'll be a while before I see her again. Thank goodness for warranty!

I must say I am a bit disappointed with the GTI in terms of quality. This is the 3rd time I've taken it in for a transmission related issue. I take care of my car quite well. Very rarely do I ever use manual mode (except when I'm on the highway, of course ). Performance-wise, it's one of the best cars I've ever driven...an absolute joy to drive! It's just sad that I may end up getting rid of the car before my warranty expires just to avoid any more costs due to faulty craftsmanship.

8. 02-07-2009 08:12 PM #43
      im lookin at getin a 98.5 a4 i believe it has a dsg tranny. when driving it randomly revs up and jerks the car.

what could be the problem?

9. 02-08-2009 06:13 PM #44
      06 Passat TDI with 80.000km on the gearbox.

No problems at all and pulling strong at all the 180 horses with 390Nm

Altough the mechatronic was changed once about 60k ago because the RPM's were not quite stable at a constant speed on the cruise control.

DSG 6 Freak - DSG Mecharonic is my name. Just ask and I will try to answer, been there done that

02-08-2009 06:55 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by southcountycustoms »
      im lookin at getin a 98.5 a4 i believe it has a dsg tranny. when driving it randomly revs up and jerks the car.

what could be the problem?

I dont' think it's possible for a 98.5 a4 to have dsg....unless it's custom work

11. 02-10-2009 05:44 PM #46
      oh thats just what i was told i doubt it has it then the po isnt to car savvy . lol well thanks anyways

12. 02-11-2009 05:56 PM #47
      First DSG issue.
      06 tdi bug
      34k Cracked case. Replaced whole tranny. No problems on that unit except fluid leak due to wrong bolt in the tranny mount bolt.

09 TDT Jetta 1.5k and a bit more than 3 weeks on the clock. Clunking and crap from day one. At dealer for some diagnosis. No codes as of yet reported by the ECM or the TCM.

After all the crap that went wrong with the 06 I'm requesting a new car. VW fit and finish sucked on the 06 bug. At this point I'm thinking so do their products. Second VW and second one with major mechanical problems.

I might go back to Ford since they have 2 cars on the most reliable list. The Americans get it now what happened to the Germans??????

13. 02-20-2009 01:38 PM #48
      2008 VW R32

- Hesitation and stall at the light.
      - Hiccups on the highway

Opened a case with VW Customer Care
      Filed reports with;
      - Consumer Protection Agency
      https://www.ftccomplaintassist...ng=en
      - NHTSA
      http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

14. 02-23-2009 10:12 AM #49
      Try performing basic settings with gearbox @ 30c temp. In park with foot on brake, 04/61 hold brakes until test is done, caution: it will engage in several gears. Then 04/60 with foot on brakes.When basic is done shift into drive several times from park and then reverse several times. perform road test for approx 10 miles be sure to up-shift and downshift through all six gears at least six times. Over time the DSG gearbox may need to be re-adapted due to normal mechanical wear. Oil pressure,clutch engagement,shift fork travel,speed senders,ect. procedure can be done at dealer, or with vag com. this will fix some driveability concerns. check gearbox electronics for an implausible shift sequence fault.

02-23-2009 10:43 AM #50
      1. 08 GTI
      2. approx 8200 miles
      3. About a week ago, the trans started to slam into gear from a dead stop (all modes). All other gears are smooth. Reverse is OK. Bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow after work.

///BrooklynAutoRennen

2014 VW GLI Autobahn/Nav/DSG - Two clutches. Two pedals. Four doors. No apologies.

Vehicles
      '09, Sportwagen SEL / '12 Passat TDI SEL
      03-09-2009 07:51 PM #51
      Quote, originally posted by Mikes72sb »
      1. 08 GTI
      2. approx 8200 miles
      3. About a week ago, the trans started to slam into gear from a dead stop (all modes). All other gears are smooth. Reverse is OK. Bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow after work.

Did you have a bad valve body?

Adjusting my lifestyle with the grace and wisdom of a potato.

03-14-2009 10:05 PM #52
      08 gti 27k on it

lurches from stop

hard up shifts

hard downshifts when coming to stop

reverse is incredibly lurchy

reading this thread makes me regret opting for the dsg so bad

Quote Originally Posted by BigTimBigTurbo View Post
      and i would never in a million years not even for a billion dollars let any colored person near my area

Vehicles
      MK 6 Golf 2 dr.
      03-16-2009 12:53 PM #53
      I had planed to get a MKIV GTI. But after reading through this posting, I may have to consider something other than the GTI.
      Is anyone having good luck with the DSG transmission?
      VW and AUDI love tuned cars and the Vortex

19. 03-17-2009 06:29 AM #54
      1. 2008 Passat 2.0 TDI 170PS
      2. 9,000 miles
      3. Jerk when pulling away in 1st gear, lurching in reverse, slow gearchanges when at low speed, rolling back on anything steeper than a slight incline when still in gear, car jerky and rev counter fluctuating when in cruise control going down slight incline on motorway.

Been to 2 dealers. Both apparently 'flash updated' the software, but no solution. Issue now with VW Customer Service in UK.

30th March 2009. Took it into the third dealer and they have ordered a new Mechatronic Unit. 10 days to 3 weeks for the part, but my fingers are crossed that this will solve the problem.

Modified by lozzer at 7:20 AM 3-30-2009

03-18-2009 11:53 AM #55
      Quote, originally posted by tagsvags »

You do realize that this thread is specifically for people who have had or are currently having PROBLEMS with their DSG, right?

///BrooklynAutoRennen

2014 VW GLI Autobahn/Nav/DSG - Two clutches. Two pedals. Four doors. No apologies.

03-18-2009 11:55 AM #56
      After a 3rd trip to the dealer, they have diagnosed my car as having a bad mechatronics unit. 7-14 days to get here. I they gave me the car back and I will return to VW when the unit gets in.
      ///BrooklynAutoRennen

22. 03-19-2009 11:11 AM #57
      My dealer didn't even know what a DSG was or a Beetle, apparently. I had to tell him everything that was wrong, how to fix it, and that he had to order it. He kept saying there weren't any in the world. I told him order it and they'll make one. He replaced the alternator hoping that would fix it. I told him it wasn't the problem. So I'm waiting. I don't think it will be as quick as two weeks, though. Everyone that has had one changed out says 3 weeks minimum. We will see. Guess I didn't need the 3000 bucks anyways, right?

23. 03-19-2009 12:46 PM #58
      Quote, originally posted by tagsvags »

Lots of us, though we typically don't post in the 'issues thread'.

24. 03-23-2009 02:32 PM #59
      1. GTI - 2007
      2. 15,000 miles
      3. Faulty Mechatronics - Driving from a dead stop the engine will surge. Driving in reverse will also surge pretty badly. Dealer in Sunrise VW says they will replace the part. 2-3 day delivery from Germany.

25. 03-23-2009 03:02 PM #60
      2-3 Days if they have them and that's fast shipping. They are all backordered, or so my dealer says. Everyone on here who's had a new mechatronics unit has had to wait 3 weeks minimum. I'm on week 2 now. Good luck.

26. 03-24-2009 12:34 PM #61
      I'll post a follow up when or if it will happen in a few days.

27. 03-25-2009 02:59 PM #62

After reading this thread, I'm not sure if I should reconsider the purchase of a DSG GTI ?

03-26-2009 12:16 PM #63
      Quote, originally posted by luciano136 »

After reading this thread, I'm not sure if I should reconsider the purchase of a DSG GTI ?

Well, you ARE reading a thread dedicated entirely to people having problems with their DSG. I would still buy a car with the DSG trans, and I plan on it, too.

///BrooklynAutoRennen

29. 03-26-2009 12:27 PM #64
      Quote, originally posted by Mikes72sb »

Well, you ARE reading a thread dedicated entirely to people having problems with their DSG. I would still buy a car with the DSG trans, and I plan on it, too.

I know, I just want one anyway . I've decided to buy the minimum extended warranty that covers everything related to DSG. If it does break during that time, which will be sometime before 100k mi, I'll sell it before the warranty is over. If it doesn't break, it probably won't and I might keep the car past the extended warranty time.

That's my new plan

30. 03-28-2009 09:29 PM #65
      Heh, this sucks.

I've been having the same problem with my DSG. Hard shifts, big problems with lurching, especially in reverse. People asking what the hell's wrong with my driving, etc.

Guess after reading this thread and this http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4072270, I'm taking it in for the long process of hoping it gets fixed.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-06-2009 04:11 PM #66
      Update: Since having my Mech unit replaced at 5k miles I have now put on about 5k more miles. Everything is working perfect as operation is smooth as butta. Hopefully this thread has helped people resolve their issues. Good luck guys

32. 04-06-2009 04:42 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by Akira »
      Update: Since having my Mech unit replaced at 5k miles I have now put on about 5k more miles. Everything is working perfect as operation is smooth as butta. Hopefully this thread has helped people resolve their issues. Good luck guys

My dealer ordered a new mech unit for me too. Hasn't come in yet, but hey, hopefully that will solve the problem.

33. 04-06-2009 04:56 PM #68
      TOmorrow is 3 weeks since my dealer ordered my mechatronics unit. Probably won't come in for another 3 but I'm trying to be patient. I can't wait to get it back all smooth running like everyone says!

34. 04-07-2009 01:31 PM #69
      i've been having the same issues as everyone else is on here. lurching forward when coming to a stop and then the jerky start from a dead stop. i brought it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the issue even though i drove 30 minutes or so to get there (engine was warm). the service manager told me it was "vw's way of conserving gas when slowing down"

I scheduled an appointment with the head mechanic there tomorrow to go for a ride with him. should i just tell them up from that they should check the mech unit or go through the motions and see what they eventually come up with?

35. 04-07-2009 01:37 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by crabbedcarp »
      i've been having the same issues as everyone else is on here. lurching forward when coming to a stop and then the jerky start from a dead stop. i brought it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the issue even though i drove 30 minutes or so to get there (engine was warm). the service manager told me it was "vw's way of conserving gas when slowing down"

I scheduled an appointment with the head mechanic there tomorrow to go for a ride with him. should i just tell them up from that they should check the mech unit or go through the motions and see what they eventually come up with?

Find a hill. It's very hard to reproduce the problem on flat ground depending on how you drive. But it's REALLY obvious when you are going up a hill forwards or backwards.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast