Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Unofficial" DSG Issues Thread

1. 04-24-2009 11:50 AM #141
      Awesome! I'm glad you're making some progress. Juan was also the first person I spoke to when I was thinking about going over there. He's really helpful. Good luck with everything.
      Quote, originally posted by fuforums »

I called your dealer and spoke to Juan. What a great place to deal with! He was quite helpful and checked all my info out. He told me to call VW customer service and actually located a part in Canada. I called my local dealer and they said it was reserved retention status or something but it seems like I am getting somewhere. I'm waiting on the local parts manager to call back now and VW Customer Service said they'd have a Rep call me by tomorrow with the order status. I think the dealers are just lazy and they don't care but sometimes you find a good one out there. Apparently, Langan VW is one of the good ones.

We will see what happens and I'll keep everyone posted. Week 6 has passed and we are working on week 7.

On another note, I know I read somewhere in one of these DSG threads that after the mech unit was replaced the person was having a problem with their radio. I seem to have the same issue since my auxillary port won't come up when I hit the cd button twice. Anyone have any ideas?

2. 04-24-2009 10:05 PM #142
      1. 2008 GTI (purchased in Apr, 08 so not sure of exact mfr. date.)
      2. 19500 miles
      3. Around last summer, started to get some surging when creeping in 1st gear. Usually around a parking lot with people and cars moving around and also on a hot day. Figured it was just not used to creeping at that speed and maybe the fluid was really warm. Winter time, no issues, DSG works like a charm (also seems to always work great for the first 5 minutes after starting after having not been driven in a while, regardless of temperature).

Now as the weather is starting to warm up again, its more noticeable that something is not right. Creeping in 1st is choppy. Starting from a full-stop (most noticeably on an incline), it is choppy and sometimes even 'bucks', like it missed catching the gear or something. Reverse is very choppy and inconsistent and also causes the bucking. Once in 2nd gear moving forward, it shifts fine all the way up to 6th and back down to 1st, in D or M.

My 20k service is coming up soon and I'm going to be sure to drive it around for a while before taking it in so that if they claim this is normal, they can take it out with me and that thing will chop and buck up any hill guaranteed, in D or R.

I love this transmission, but I have lost some love for the car now cause I know it's not right. I hope VW is on track to solve why so many of these mechatronic units seem to be falling out of calibration or just plain failing. I also hope I can find a dealership that is aware of the problem and knows what to look for as soon as I say the word mechatronic.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      qty2 '99 Miata
      04-25-2009 12:08 AM #143
      Thanks guys, keep the info coming. Your car's birthday (manufacture date ) can be found in the doorsill of the driver's door

4. 04-25-2009 03:39 PM #144
      It seems that these mechatronic units are mass produced resulting in bad batches, possibly dry joints on the pc boards (Surface mount technology) its like components are "Spot welded" in place,resulting in "hot connections" when the unit heats up, causing a bad connection. A thorough inspection should be done under a magnifing glass to check for similar faults cropping up, and remedied.

A faulty mechatronic control unit could cause harm in the transmission, causing early metal fatigue, warping of shafts (running out of true), etc.
      Mmmm, just my 2 cents worth Automotive Electrician working for a Global player - having seen some mind boggling things in the electronics industry.

5. 04-26-2009 09:50 PM #145
      Quote, originally posted by Proteor leg »
      It seems that these mechatronic units are mass produced resulting in bad batches, possibly dry joints on the pc boards (Surface mount technology) its like components are "Spot welded" in place,resulting in "hot connections" when the unit heats up, causing a bad connection. A thorough inspection should be done under a magnifing glass to check for similar faults cropping up, and remedied.

A faulty mechatronic control unit could cause harm in the transmission, causing early metal fatigue, warping of shafts (running out of true), etc.
      Mmmm, just my 2 cents worth Automotive Electrician working for a Global player - having seen some mind boggling things in the electronics industry.

Why make an inspection when they can charge 1900.00 for the part when I breaks?

6. 04-26-2009 09:58 PM #146
      Quote, originally posted by crabbedcarp »
      Awesome! I'm glad you're making some progress. Juan was also the first person I spoke to when I was thinking about going over there. He's really helpful. Good luck with everything.

On another note, I know I read somewhere in one of these DSG threads that after the mech unit was replaced the person was having a problem with their radio. I seem to have the same issue since my auxillary port won't come up when I hit the cd button twice. Anyone have any ideas?

How about this:

I called Juan, he told me to call VW Customer Care. Well, I yelled at a lot of people, I don't even know how many. The next morning I get a voice mail from my local parts guy at the dealer stating that the unit has been located and it will be shipped by Monday and should arrive Thursday at the latest. Funny how that all happened just after I called all these people.

Then, Later Thursday afternoon I get a call from Customer Care and they tell me the same thing. Then she goes through this spiel about how this "megatronic" unit "is made to every exact option on YOUR car only and will not work with any car, that's why it takes 6 weeks to make". I argued with her and told her she's crazy if she really thinks that it takes that long and has to be made to match my car (which is not in Germany where they are making it) and so she tells me I'm wrong but then I explained how terrible VW service is in general and why Honda sells so many cars to teenagers and young people and not VW. I also told her that everyone knows that VW's are the worst if they break and so many people loved them at one time but now hate them. Anyways, I know it's not her making up the lies but she typed it all down and so I let her go. Maybe VW will read some of it. Who knows.

So my car should be fixed Exactly 6 weeks to the day after the mechatronics unit was ordered and EXACTLY 4 days after I called and complained to everyone who answered the phone. How convenient. We will see. Thanks for your help.

7. 04-27-2009 08:33 PM #147
      Wolfsburg Jetta - 2008

From a dead stop when you let off the pedal it seems like it is neutral for a second and then the transmission engages and produces a sudden jerk. Have noticed it only does this when it is warm. It also is really jerky in reverse after it it warmed up.

It is at the dealer right now. The turbo was throwing codes but after those were cleared the problem still exists. They were going to check the transmission fluid level but was to hot to get an accurate reading. So they are keeping it.

I had a chance to talk to the shop foreman who was working on it and he got it to do what I described and knows it is not right. He seems to be quite knowledgeable. I know there is a certain order they have to diagnose things but I felt much better after talking with him, he assured me they would get it fixed.

Updates to come.

8. 04-27-2009 10:12 PM #148
      Fu...you smoke a mean pipe...Honda sells cars to teens because you can buy aftermarket parts at your local quik-e-mart, they are cheap to maintain and cookie cutter. VW sells cars to people who want something more than a rice burner.

9. 04-27-2009 11:40 PM #149
      Quote, originally posted by RPIJG »
      Fu...you smoke a mean pipe...Honda sells cars to teens because you can buy aftermarket parts at your local quik-e-mart, they are cheap to maintain and cookie cutter. VW sells cars to people who want something more than a rice burner.

Teenage and college girls? I don't think they care about cold air intakes. Their parents buy them because they are dependable and they last and they don't have the horrible reputation that VW has. I'll bet Honda and Toyota has ten times the repeat buyers that VW has. Lots of people buy a VW for the looks, styling, and diesels but how many come back and buy another one? Probably not as many.

I'm selling the Beetle as soon as it gets out of the shop and getting a Touareg V10 TDi. If that gives me problems like this one I'm pretty much done with VW. Let's hope for the best.

10. 04-27-2009 11:55 PM #150

Teenage and college girls? I don't think they care about cold air intakes. Their parents buy them because they are dependable and they last and they don't have the horrible reputation that VW has. I'll bet Honda and Toyota has ten times the repeat buyers that VW has. Lots of people buy a VW for the looks, styling, and diesels but how many come back and buy another one? Probably not as many.

I'm selling the Beetle as soon as it gets out of the shop and getting a Touareg V10 TDi. If that gives me problems like this one I'm pretty much done with VW. Let's hope for the best.

YES, please sell your VW, cancel your Vortex account and go buy that awesome Honda you want. In the meantime, we understand you're frustrated. But plain and simple, you are coming across as a douche.

Every car manufacturer has problems, they all produce lemons on occasion. But spouting off the BS that you've been posting is both ignorant and ridiculous. As one guy said above, we're in this thread because we are the minority that have had issues. The *minority*.

11. 04-27-2009 11:59 PM #151
      Quote, originally posted by 334lif3 »

YES, please sell your VW, cancel your Vortex account and go buy that awesome Honda you want. In the meantime, we understand you're frustrated. But plain and simple, you are coming across as a douche.

Every car manufacturer has problems, they all produce lemons on occasion. But spouting off the BS that you've been posting is both ignorant and ridiculous. As one guy said above, we're in this thread because we are the minority that have had issues. The *minority*.

What about it is BS?

VW's have one of the lowest service ratings in the world. Their parts and repair prices are super high. Nothing should take 6 weeks to fix.

If you don't like what I say you don't have to resort to name calling. Using the word "douche" is not necessary. Maybe you should ignore my posts and go back to selling "ipod kits". Your input wasn't requested.

12. 04-28-2009 12:04 AM #152

What about it is BS?

VW's have one of the lowest service ratings in the world. Their parts and repair prices are super high. Nothing should take 6 weeks to fix.

If you don't like what I say you don't have to resort to name calling. Using the word "douche" is not necessary. Maybe you should ignore my posts and go back to selling "ipod kits". Your input wasn't requested.

The BS is the comparison between Honda and VW. If you love Honda so much, then get a Honda and leave the VW forums. Makes sense doesn't it.

I'm subbed to the thread because I want to hear about useful information regarding this problem. So I get an email for every post made in this thread.

Sorry your dealer is taking 6 weeks. Mine said three and even told me the date the part was expected to arrive. I can't blame VW for wanting to ship the parts as cheaply as possible. But this sounds more like an issue with your dealer than a VW specific issue.

13. 04-28-2009 11:09 AM #153
      I like to look at it from this perspective.

Honda's mainstream vehicles have offered very few innovative features, save maybe VTEC.

VW constantly pushes the envelope with their car design and engineering. When you push the envelope there are always bound to be problems somewhere.

Can I buy a sport handling, 200bhp/200ft-lb with a premium gearbox from honda? Nope...the SI is only thing roughly in this class, and frankly, they aren't as nice.

Your comparisons to Honda are faulty. VW has many, many repeat customers because they offer something that other manufacturers do not, and that is great handling, well powered vehicles that have a distinctly european feel, that drive for the most part like well-behaved european cars.

Do I concede that Honda's/Toyota's are more reliable for the most part? Sure, do I think that a VW is so bad that it isn't worth owning? No. It's a cost/benefit analysis. To me the reward is well worth it.

14. 04-28-2009 11:33 AM #154

Hey, all of you talking about Honda's vs VW's. Can you do that in another thread? - I am subscribed to this thread to learn about DSG issues, not Honda vs XYZ.
      Thank you

Also, please don't reply - it just creates more useless traffic.

15. 04-28-2009 05:15 PM #155
      On Saturday night my PRNDS were blinking, restarted the car, same problem, figured, screw it, it was late I was tired...blah blah blah, so sunday morning I go and start the car still doing it. I put the car in P, remove my foot from the brake and hear an audible click come from the shifter area, put the car back in gear and the problem went away, I think perhaps the electric safety switch may have gotten stuck.

16. 04-28-2009 06:48 PM #156
      Quote, originally posted by RPIJG »
      On Saturday night my PRNDS were blinking, restarted the car, same problem, figured, screw it, it was late I was tired...blah blah blah, so sunday morning I go and start the car still doing it. I put the car in P, remove my foot from the brake and hear an audible click come from the shifter area, put the car back in gear and the problem went away, I think perhaps the electric safety switch may have gotten stuck.

Maybe it was nothing but that problem is the dreaded DSG failure. If it happens again you might as well bring it in for a long wait. The sooner the better.

17. 04-28-2009 09:30 PM #157
      It's happened to me twice, and both times was fixed the same way. I don't think it has anything to do with the DSG as the car runs/shifts fine even with the PRNDS blinking. Just pointing out that there is a potential that some of the "catastrophe's" may not be, they could be part of a faulty safety switch.

18. 05-01-2009 07:28 AM #158
      Update:

Tuesday they finished their tests and ordered the Mechatronics. Now just have to wait for it.

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      05-01-2009 10:41 AM #159
      Took my dealer a week to fix my mechatronic unit.
      I have a 2009 VW GTI (Im not sure about the build date, but I can get that later)
      i had the unti replaced at 13k miles, however it had been acting up for a while.
      I had really bad lurching in 1st gear and R gear (in "D" mode not sport or manual).

I asked the techs to show me what the bill would have been if it wasnt covered under warranty and it ended up being $3300

:APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K. :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR
      :Eurojet -Ceramic Coated TBE :DEFI :Unibrace :Tyrolsport :Bildon :Hawk :034
      TSI FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

20. 05-03-2009 12:11 PM #160
      Quote, originally posted by ViRtUaLheretic »
      Took my dealer a week to fix my mechatronic unit.
      I have a 2009 VW GTI (Im not sure about the build date, but I can get that later)
      i had the unti replaced at 13k miles, however it had been acting up for a while.
      I had really bad lurching in 1st gear and R gear (in "D" mode not sport or manual).

I asked the techs to show me what the bill would have been if it wasnt covered under warranty and it ended up being $3300

Mine was 2600.00 and took 7 weeks to be fixed. My dealer is an idiot so hopefully most are not. Drives good now but I can't afford fuel anymore.

21. 05-06-2009 07:05 PM #161
      Just had the Mechatronic replaced on our 08 Eos (14500 miles, been acting up since 13000 or so). Took 3 weeks for the parts to come in, drove the car while waiting. Cured all problems so far. Has anyone had to have the repair done again?

22. 05-06-2009 07:18 PM #162
      My part took 3 weeks to come in also. My dealership (Delon, in Salem) told me exactly when the part would be in, and that's the day it arrived. I took the car in at noon and it was ready for pick up 2:30 the next day.

I haven't done enough driving to see if it fixed the problem, but since the master tech did all the work, and is the guy that went out with me to demo the problem. I have to imagine the problem is no longer there. Otherwise he would not have signed off. It does seem to drive smooth in the 5-10 miles I've driven it.

I asked for the old unit, but they said they have to send it in, otherwise they don't get covered for the warranty work.

So if anyone has a mech unit they were able to get back, and you don't want it. I would love to peak inside one of these things. I'm an EE, hence the name. I'm willing to pay shipping for USPS.

Let me know.

23. 05-07-2009 12:16 PM #163
      Mechatronic unit for my 08 Gti on order

24. 05-14-2009 09:08 AM #164
      Im not saying some DSGs dont have a problem. But just to let ya know. Im tired of havin cars come in with the same complaint! From people reading this forum! the next time I get a car in and has 1 mod to it. I will void that warranty. And if you think cause ur ECM flash doesnt say Revo or Atp or what ever on it your safe. NO you are not. Ill check the WSC and 2 MVB and ill know if it was chipped and who did it. so keep ur DSG complaint going and good luck!

Vehicles
      2010 Mustang GT, 2005 Legacy GT, 2012 Honda Accord
      05-14-2009 09:23 AM #165

I asked for the old unit, but they said they have to send it in, otherwise they don't get covered for the warranty work.

So if anyone has a mech unit they were able to get back, and you don't want it. I would love to peak inside one of these things. I'm an EE, hence the name. I'm willing to pay shipping for USPS.

Let me know.

If you really want to know what goes on inside the DSG, then I highly recommend this book:
      http://www.bentleypublishers.c....html

It will tell you more than you ever want to know about the Mechatronics unit and the DSG as a whole. The best $30 you might ever spend.

That other non-douche Mustang owner.

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      05-14-2009 10:25 AM #166
      Quote, originally posted by 1998gtis »
      Im not saying some DSGs dont have a problem. But just to let ya know. Im tired of havin cars come in with the same complaint! From people reading this forum! the next time I get a car in and has 1 mod to it. I will void that warranty. And if you think cause ur ECM flash doesnt say Revo or Atp or what ever on it your safe. NO you are not. Ill check the WSC and 2 MVB and ill know if it was chipped and who did it. so keep ur DSG complaint going and good luck!

Dont like it? Quit your job.
      There was a legitament problem with my mechatronic unit and now that it has been replaced it works fine.
      Dont be an @ss and ruin somebodies warranty because you got sand in your vag-com

:APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K. :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR
      :Eurojet -Ceramic Coated TBE :DEFI :Unibrace :Tyrolsport :Bildon :Hawk :034
      TSI FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

27. 05-14-2009 11:38 AM #167

What a bunch of BS this is!! Every transmission in a somewhat sporty vehicle should be able to withstand a little extra power. And, guess what, I bet my money on it that the chipping itself is NOT the cause of the majority of the failures. The dealers just want to hide themselves behind the SW reflash because they don't want to admit all the bugs aren't out of their transmission yet. There are countless DINAN supercharged BMW's and most of them had zero upgrades to their tranny without issues.

What about all the cars with tranny issues that are bone stock? DSG still has occasional problems, period! If you don't want to fix it, well, people will buy another make then. Way to get yourself out of business in this economy...

Modified by luciano136 at 8:39 AM 5-14-2009

Modified by luciano136 at 8:40 AM 5-14-2009

28. 05-14-2009 02:31 PM #168

Pure ignorance dude. The mech would not be the part that fails from too much power.

Mine failed, and it failed early on, and my car is bone stock. Unless of course you count tint as a mod...

29. 05-14-2009 02:32 PM #169
      Quote, originally posted by Slickvic »

If you really want to know what goes on inside the DSG, then I highly recommend this book:
      http://www.bentleypublishers.c....html

It will tell you more than you ever want to know about the Mechatronics unit and the DSG as a whole. The best $30 you might ever spend.

That's not the point. I want to look at one that has failed. Looking through a book won't do me any good.

Vehicles
      2010 Mustang GT, 2005 Legacy GT, 2012 Honda Accord
      05-14-2009 05:12 PM #170

That's not the point. I want to look at one that has failed. Looking through a book won't do me any good.

Knowledge is power. BTW, I was just trying to help. Have a nice day.

That other non-douche Mustang owner.

31. 05-14-2009 05:18 PM #171
      Quote, originally posted by Slickvic »

Knowledge is power. BTW, I was just trying to help. Have a nice day.

Yeah, I was rude.

I just want to see what is causing the failures. If this happens again, and I'm out of warranty, then I'll have to fix it myself. Would prefer to know what I was doing when it happened rather than try and debug when I really need my car.

32. 05-14-2009 05:33 PM #172
      It's true, the warranty only can be voided if the part modified directly affected the part that the warranty needs service on. But, it's really hard to convince someone that tinkering with reprogramming didn't affect the mechatronics or any other computer related functions of the car. It'd be a tough case. But, if you mod your car then you are responsible for whatever it does. I agree that upping the HP and TQ probably won't affect the mechatronics unit in any way. I think mostly these have been from a bad batch from production.

Point is you gotta be careful what you do especially when you're demanding that they fix it for free.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      05-15-2009 03:26 PM #173
      Mine failed, and it failed early on, and my car is bone stock. Unless of course you count tint as a mod...

I guess mine too failed because of the tint, oh but I have a "mod friendly" dealer that chose to replace it out of the goodness of their heart...what a d bag!

Vehicles
      AWARD WINNING 2010 VW Jetta Wolfsburg
      05-16-2009 12:26 AM #174
      2008 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0T TSI Engine
      12,500 Miles
      Don't know build date, but I bought the car in August of 2008.

DSG started to refuse to downshift at highway speeds, and the usual 2nd into 1st THUNK. Dealer concluded it was Mechatronics unit. Dealer has had car for almost 4 week,s, and they call me today to let me know that the wrong Mechatronics unit has finally arrived.

They have decided to replace the ENTIRE TRANSMISSION, as a BRAND NEW ONE is available and will take less time to get than another Mechatronics unit.

Should I be worried about these VW monkeys doing a complete transmission swap? Should I tell them to wait for another Mechatronics unit? Should I tell the stupid dealership to keep the damn car and get me a WOLFSBURG with a manual transmission?

Thanks for any and all advice?

_- CD

35. 05-16-2009 12:37 AM #175
      Quote, originally posted by HiTechCD »
      2008 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0T TSI Engine
      12,500 Miles
      Don't know build date, but I bought the car in August of 2008.

DSG started to refuse to downshift at highway speeds, and the usual 2nd into 1st THUNK. Dealer concluded it was Mechatronics unit. Dealer has had car for almost 4 week,s, and they call me today to let me know that the wrong Mechatronics unit has finally arrived.

They have decided to replace the ENTIRE TRANSMISSION, as a BRAND NEW ONE is available and will take less time to get than another Mechatronics unit.

Should I be worried about these VW monkeys doing a complete transmission swap? Should I tell them to wait for another Mechatronics unit? Should I tell the stupid dealership to keep the damn car and get me a WOLFSBURG with a manual transmission?

Thanks for any and all advice?

_- CD

You're kidding right? They are offering to give you a BRAND NEW tranny and you're wondering if you should make a stink?

Be VERY grateful.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast