VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The "Unofficial" DSG Issues Thread

567K views 1K replies 314 participants last post by  DanielB3 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
Since there have been so many threads in here about DSG issues I thought it might be better to have them all orginized into 1 thread. Like we have seen in past threads to make it somewhat easy to read about one particular issue state:
1. Model - Year
2. Miles
3. Explanation of Issues
Hopefully this will help out people who are having issues with their DSG transmission and get the problem remedied. Discuss. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Akira at 2:58 PM 6-24-2009

See less See more
#54 ·
Re: DSG Problems

1. 2008 Passat 2.0 TDI 170PS
2. 9,000 miles
3. Jerk when pulling away in 1st gear, lurching in reverse, slow gearchanges when at low speed, rolling back on anything steeper than a slight incline when still in gear, car jerky and rev counter fluctuating when in cruise control going down slight incline on motorway.
Been to 2 dealers. Both apparently 'flash updated' the software, but no solution. Issue now with VW Customer Service in UK.
30th March 2009. Took it into the third dealer and they have ordered a new Mechatronic Unit. 10 days to 3 weeks for the part, but my fingers are crossed that this will solve the problem.

Modified by lozzer at 7:20 AM 3-30-2009

#55 ·
Re: (tagsvags)

Quote, originally posted by tagsvags »

Is anyone having good luck with the DSG transmission?

You do realize that this thread is specifically for people who have had or are currently having PROBLEMS with their DSG, right?

#56 ·
Re: (Mikes72sb)

After a 3rd trip to the dealer, they have diagnosed my car as having a bad mechatronics unit. 7-14 days to get here. I they gave me the car back and I will return to VW when the unit gets in.

#57 ·

My dealer didn't even know what a DSG was or a Beetle, apparently. I had to tell him everything that was wrong, how to fix it, and that he had to order it. He kept saying there weren't any in the world. I told him order it and they'll make one. He replaced the alternator hoping that would fix it. I told him it wasn't the problem. So I'm waiting. I don't think it will be as quick as two weeks, though. Everyone that has had one changed out says 3 weeks minimum. We will see. Guess I didn't need the 3000 bucks anyways, right?

#63 ·
Re: (luciano136)

Quote, originally posted by luciano136 »

After reading this thread, I'm not sure if I should reconsider the purchase of a DSG GTI ?

Well, you ARE reading a thread dedicated entirely to people having problems with their DSG. I would still buy a car with the DSG trans, and I plan on it, too.

#64 ·

Quote, originally posted by Mikes72sb »

Well, you ARE reading a thread dedicated entirely to people having problems with their DSG. I would still buy a car with the DSG trans, and I plan on it, too.

I know, I just want one anyway
. I've decided to buy the minimum extended warranty that covers everything related to DSG. If it does break during that time, which will be sometime before 100k mi, I'll sell it before the warranty is over. If it doesn't break, it probably won't and I might keep the car past the extended warranty time.
That's my new plan

#66 ·
Re: (334lif3)

Update: Since having my Mech unit replaced at 5k miles I have now put on about 5k more miles. Everything is working perfect as operation is smooth as butta. Hopefully this thread has helped people resolve their issues. Good luck guys http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#67 ·
Re: (Akira)

Quote, originally posted by Akira »
Update: Since having my Mech unit replaced at 5k miles I have now put on about 5k more miles. Everything is working perfect as operation is smooth as butta. Hopefully this thread has helped people resolve their issues. Good luck guys http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

My dealer ordered a new mech unit for me too. Hasn't come in yet, but hey, hopefully that will solve the problem.

#69 ·
Re: DSG Mechatronics unit (fuforums)

i've been having the same issues as everyone else is on here. lurching forward when coming to a stop and then the jerky start from a dead stop. i brought it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the issue even though i drove 30 minutes or so to get there (engine was warm). the service manager told me it was "vw's way of conserving gas when slowing down"

I scheduled an appointment with the head mechanic there tomorrow to go for a ride with him. should i just tell them up from that they should check the mech unit or go through the motions and see what they eventually come up with?

#70 ·
Re: DSG Mechatronics unit (crabbedcarp)

Quote, originally posted by crabbedcarp »
i've been having the same issues as everyone else is on here. lurching forward when coming to a stop and then the jerky start from a dead stop. i brought it to the dealer and they could not reproduce the issue even though i drove 30 minutes or so to get there (engine was warm). the service manager told me it was "vw's way of conserving gas when slowing down"

I scheduled an appointment with the head mechanic there tomorrow to go for a ride with him. should i just tell them up from that they should check the mech unit or go through the motions and see what they eventually come up with?

Find a hill. It's very hard to reproduce the problem on flat ground depending on how you drive. But it's REALLY obvious when you are going up a hill forwards or backwards. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#71 ·
Re: DSG Mechatronics unit (334lif3)

Quote, originally posted by 334lif3 »

Find a hill. It's very hard to reproduce the problem on flat ground depending on how you drive. But it's REALLY obvious when you are going up a hill forwards or backwards. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Great advice, definitely have them test it on an incline with slight pedal pressure at slow speeds for the surging issue. Keep us posted!

#72 ·
Re: DSG Mechatronics unit (Akira)

Quote, originally posted by Akira »

Great advice, definitely have them test it on an incline with slight pedal pressure at slow speeds for the surging issue. Keep us posted!

Thanks, I definitely will. Hopefully, I'll have this issue resolved tomorrow.

#73 ·
Re: DSG Mechatronics unit (crabbedcarp)

Well just got back from the dealer. We were able to replicate the issues I've been experiencing, however once they popped the hood they noticed an intake. They told me the issues are due to the tab I ended up breaking on the maf sensor that the cable attaches to. I told them I was skeptical of this, and asked what happens when I still have the issues after it's replaced and they replied "well, you won't get your money back for the maf sensor. But we will go from there if that's the case". Either way, I was going to get it replaced in the future, but would this be the culprit?

#75 ·
Re: (luciano136)

Quote, originally posted by luciano136 »

An intake issue like a bad MAF sensor would mess up the air-fuel mixture and the Check Engine Light would come on. I have my doubts this would cause a jerky transmission...

so where do i go from here? i pick up my car in about an hour since they're doing the 10k service.

#76 ·
Re: (crabbedcarp)

Quote, originally posted by crabbedcarp »

so where do i go from here? i pick up my car in about an hour since they're doing the 10k service.

I'm not familiar with the VW but a MAF is usually really easy to replace. I guess you could fix that and then go back again? Kind of a pain in the butt. I would ask them for an explanation why on earth an intake issue would affect a transmission and why the check engine light did not come on? Any problems with intake and emissions will generally cause a check engine light on any vehicle.
I don't know much about DSG but that just sounds really weird to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.