Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Unofficial" DSG Issues Thread

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-07-2009 05:53 PM #71
      Quote, originally posted by 334lif3 »

Find a hill. It's very hard to reproduce the problem on flat ground depending on how you drive. But it's REALLY obvious when you are going up a hill forwards or backwards.

Great advice, definitely have them test it on an incline with slight pedal pressure at slow speeds for the surging issue. Keep us posted!

2. 04-07-2009 07:49 PM #72
      Quote, originally posted by Akira »

Great advice, definitely have them test it on an incline with slight pedal pressure at slow speeds for the surging issue. Keep us posted!

Thanks, I definitely will. Hopefully, I'll have this issue resolved tomorrow.

3. 04-08-2009 01:11 PM #73
      Well just got back from the dealer. We were able to replicate the issues I've been experiencing, however once they popped the hood they noticed an intake. They told me the issues are due to the tab I ended up breaking on the maf sensor that the cable attaches to. I told them I was skeptical of this, and asked what happens when I still have the issues after it's replaced and they replied "well, you won't get your money back for the maf sensor. But we will go from there if that's the case". Either way, I was going to get it replaced in the future, but would this be the culprit?

4. 04-08-2009 01:17 PM #74

An intake issue like a bad MAF sensor would mess up the air-fuel mixture and the Check Engine Light would come on. I have my doubts this would cause a jerky transmission...

5. 04-08-2009 01:25 PM #75
      Quote, originally posted by luciano136 »

An intake issue like a bad MAF sensor would mess up the air-fuel mixture and the Check Engine Light would come on. I have my doubts this would cause a jerky transmission...

so where do i go from here? i pick up my car in about an hour since they're doing the 10k service.

6. 04-08-2009 01:33 PM #76
      Quote, originally posted by crabbedcarp »

so where do i go from here? i pick up my car in about an hour since they're doing the 10k service.

I'm not familiar with the VW but a MAF is usually really easy to replace. I guess you could fix that and then go back again? Kind of a pain in the butt. I would ask them for an explanation why on earth an intake issue would affect a transmission and why the check engine light did not come on? Any problems with intake and emissions will generally cause a check engine light on any vehicle.

I don't know much about DSG but that just sounds really weird to me.

7. 04-08-2009 01:52 PM #77
      Have another shop do the MAF. Don't let them do it, they are just squeezing you for money. Shady for sure.

It's not the MAF, because that would be throwing codes. That's why it's been so hard to get the DSG issues worked on because there are no codes and anymore, if there are no codes, the shop says there's nothing wrong.

8. 04-08-2009 03:14 PM #78
      Quote, originally posted by mkvowner »
      2008 GTI
      15,000mi
      On my 2nd Mechatronics unit which has been re-adapted 3 times. Bucking when accelerating slowly, looks like a n00b on a 6spd. Rough upshifts whether in Manual Mode or Drive. Rough downshifts all the time, sometimes causes the brakes to lock and ABS to kick in. Seems like the clutch doesn't want to disengage and makes a clunking noise when coming to a stop. When pulling away from a stop light/sign the car will SLOWLY accelerate into the middle of the intersection at which point decide it needs to do more downshifting (which causes the car to stop for about 3-5 seconds) then it catches and drives normally. The dealership now says my car works within spec and they won't repair it anymore - people who drive my car that I haven't mentioned the problem to ask me, "what's wrong with your car?"

Am I alone here or are we starting to see a pattern?

Did you ever get another dealer to look at this issue?
      Doesn't seem right that they would just brush you off if it's a legitimate issue & you are covered under warranty.

9. 04-08-2009 03:19 PM #79
      Quote, originally posted by 334lif3 »
      Have another shop do the MAF. Don't let them do it, they are just squeezing you for money. Shady for sure.

It's not the MAF, because that would be throwing codes. That's why it's been so hard to get the DSG issues worked on because there are no codes and anymore, if there are no codes, the shop says there's nothing wrong.

Unless you partically damage the flow sensor on the MAF to allow it to still work but provide incorrect readings to the ECU.

Also, if your intake has a K&N type filter that has oil, it can sometimes get oil on the MAF causing it to get dirty, which also can provide bad readings to the ECU.

Either way, it's probably cheaper to order the part or buy it from a dealer and install it yourself. Or maybe try cleaning the MAF just to see if things improve.

10. 04-08-2009 03:28 PM #80
      Should still throw some codes for improbable values.

If I recall, most of the MAF issues on these boards have been pretty obvious problems, not come and go at low acceleration.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-08-2009 03:34 PM #81
      Well just got back from the dealer. We were able to replicate the issues I've been experiencing, however once they popped the hood they noticed an intake. They told me the issues are due to the tab I ended up breaking on the maf sensor that the cable attaches to. I told them I was skeptical of this, and asked what happens when I still have the issues after it's replaced and they replied "well, you won't get your money back for the maf sensor. But we will go from there if that's the case". Either way, I was going to get it replaced in the future, but would this be the culprit?

Having an intake on would not cause the jerky shifts and the 2-1 clunky downshift. They might have an argument with the surging since the engine itself is going up and down in rpms...maybe. Put everything back to stock and take it back to them and have them replicate the issues. If you had what I had I can almost guarantee that you will still experience the same issues. Good luck

12. 04-08-2009 03:59 PM #82

Having an intake on would not cause the jerky shifts and the 2-1 clunky downshift. They might have an argument with the surging since the engine itself is going up and down in rpms...maybe. Put everything back to stock and take it back to them and have them replicate the issues. If you had what I had I can almost guarantee that you will still experience the same issues. Good luck

I'm going to wait and have them replace the maf sensor next tuesday. I can personally do it, but would rather avoid the hassle of them saying it was installed wrong. They don't attribute the problems to the intake but to the malfunctioning maf. I asked to see how an air flow sensor has anything to do with jerky shifting and they didn't have any response. Three mechanics stuttered through a bs response. They said I would have to get the maf replaced before they could come up with an answer.

My personal opinion on the whole matter is: They know it's an issue with the mech unit, but do not want to replace it under warranty yet since they can still get some money out of me through the maf replacement. But maybe I'm being cynical.

13. 04-08-2009 04:02 PM #83

I'm going to wait and have them replace the maf sensor next tuesday. I can personally do it, but would rather avoid the hassle of them saying it was installed wrong. They don't attribute the problems to the intake but to the malfunctioning maf. I asked to see how an air flow sensor has anything to do with jerky shifting and they didn't have any response. Three mechanics stuttered through a bs response. They said I would have to get the maf replaced before they could come up with an answer.

My personal opinion on the whole matter is: They know it's an issue with the mech unit, but do not want to replace it under warranty yet since they can still get some money out of me through the maf replacement. But maybe I'm being cynical.

Either they really have no idea what they're doing (doubt it) or they just don't want to fix the tranny. My guess is that it's the last one. I'd say, go to a better dealership because these guys clearly suck!

14. 04-08-2009 05:48 PM #84
      The VW dealers in The USA do not know how to work on cars. They are not trained and they have no idea what a DSG is. They refuse to do what they are supposed to do an VW or VAG refuses to train them. If Ford or Chevy or Dodge or Honda or Toyota made a better product with a diesel engine it would put VW out of business. The DSG is a great trans in theory but was put out before it should have been. The dealers aren't trained at all on it. My dealer doesn't even know how to pronounce "mechatronics" and it makes me sick. I'm past week 3 of a 'backordered" mechatronics unit. I have a feeling if they EVER get it shipped it will be broken or installed incorrectly. I hate the VW dealers and I have a feeling every other VW owner does too. I hear from many many people, mostly women, that they will never buy another VW again. I can't really argue with them. I like the German styling and I like the diesel engine. The DSG has been a nightmare for me and everyone else on this thread. If they fix it I am going to sell the car. VW Dealers stink and are all idiots.

/rant

15. 04-08-2009 05:53 PM #85
      Quote, originally posted by fuforums »
      The VW dealers in The USA do not know how to work on cars. They are not trained and they have no idea what a DSG is. They refuse to do what they are supposed to do an VW or VAG refuses to train them. If Ford or Chevy or Dodge or Honda or Toyota made a better product with a diesel engine it would put VW out of business. The DSG is a great trans in theory but was put out before it should have been. The dealers aren't trained at all on it. My dealer doesn't even know how to pronounce "mechatronics" and it makes me sick. I'm past week 3 of a 'backordered" mechatronics unit. I have a feeling if they EVER get it shipped it will be broken or installed incorrectly. I hate the VW dealers and I have a feeling every other VW owner does too. I hear from many many people, mostly women, that they will never buy another VW again. I can't really argue with them. I like the German styling and I like the diesel engine. The DSG has been a nightmare for me and everyone else on this thread. If they fix it I am going to sell the car. VW Dealers stink and are all idiots.

/rant

That sucks! Luckily I have a local mechanic that can work on VW's under extended warranty. He's an excellent guy, so I hope my DSG doesn't act up before the factory warranty is out, then he can work on it.

16. 04-08-2009 06:13 PM #86
      My biggest gripe about this whole issue, aside from the obvious, is the fact that as soon as I got into the dealership this morning and was talking about what my car was doing, one of the mechanics overheard my explanation and said that it was most likely the mechatronics unit which has been common. Now I have to go through all the motions before getting to what was initially stated to be wrong with the car.

17. 04-08-2009 08:55 PM #87
      you realize that the DSG has been around for a long while and is an incredibly reliable system for the most part.

Sure there are issues with it, just as there are issues with certain things with all other cars. If someone made a better car, with a better diesel, it would be called a BMW and it would cost you a fortune.

/rant bomb

18. 04-08-2009 09:00 PM #88

Plenty of BMW diesels in Europe for a good price. They just don't bring them to the US. Having a 330d is a daily driver is awesome!

19. 04-08-2009 09:37 PM #89
      Other cars have transmissions that can be fixed. VW autos and DSG's CANNOT be fixed. They can only be replaced. DSG's have a mechatronics unit that controls shifting. If ANYthing goes wrong with it you must completely replace it. Its about 2500 bucks when all is said and done. Other cars can be repaired. I have a good diesel engine but the trans is a terrible design. I have an '04 which is the first year VW sold them (AFAIK). They designed it with no way to work on it. They don't have ANY in the whole world. It takes at least 3 weeks to get one? WTF? Have you read threads on the 01M auto? Once you feel it start with its problems you start saving because its $5000.00 to fix. No way to repair it.
      VW obviously doesn't want to make money selling cars because their dealers are the worst. They know NOTHING about DSG transmissions and they have no way of learning. I have an expensive diesel-its a VW and its trans is a POS.

20. 04-08-2009 11:52 PM #90

This issue has been bothering me all day. Would a faulty mech unit throw a code with a scan?

21. 04-08-2009 11:59 PM #91
      Mine did. It was a communication error. But it seems that most with the odd driving issues do not. That's one of the problems with it. It was implemented into the vehicles but not documented enough and with little to no codes so that nobody knows anything. Just replace it. That's fine under warranty but what happens in 3 years? Who's gonna buy a car that needs a 3000.00 dollar part?

This issue has been bothering me all day. Would a faulty mech unit throw a code with a scan?

22. 04-09-2009 12:12 AM #92
      Quote, originally posted by fuforums »
      Who's gonna buy a car that needs a 3000.00 dollar part?

Agreed. That 3 year, 36k mile warranty is looking like it's coming a lot faster as it is. I'm beginning to wish I got an 08.

23. 04-09-2009 12:57 AM #93

Agreed. That 3 year, 36k mile warranty is looking like it's coming a lot faster as it is. I'm beginning to wish I got an 08.

They do have a longer warranty but the 08's also have the issue as well.

I wonder if there is enough issues with the DSG if they will recall them or just keep fixing them?

It seems replacing the mechatronics solves the issue but it will/may come back.

If anything, vwvortex is a good place for a repository of DSG issues that if there is enough people having the same repeated issues a class action lawsuit could be brought against VW to fix the DSG issues even after warranty.

Quote, originally posted by mkvowner »
      2008 GTI
      15,000mi
      On my 2nd Mechatronics unit which has been re-adapted 3 times. Bucking when accelerating slowly, looks like a n00b on a 6spd. Rough upshifts whether in Manual Mode or Drive. Rough downshifts all the time, sometimes causes the brakes to lock and ABS to kick in. Seems like the clutch doesn't want to disengage and makes a clunking noise when coming to a stop. When pulling away from a stop light/sign the car will SLOWLY accelerate into the middle of the intersection at which point decide it needs to do more downshifting (which causes the car to stop for about 3-5 seconds) then it catches and drives normally. The dealership now says my car works within spec and they won't repair it anymore - people who drive my car that I haven't mentioned the problem to ask me, "what's wrong with your car?"

Am I alone here or are we starting to see a pattern?

24. 04-09-2009 10:01 AM #94
      For all the people that are having their mech replaced, does anyone have the solid motor mounts or a stiffer suspension? Mine is screwed now I have to replace at my cost as HPA flashed mine Boooo

Edit: Or remeber hitting any large potholes etc?

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-09-2009 10:08 AM #95
      We also need to remember the fact that of the 10's of 1000's of cars with the DSG transmission there are for the most part a "handful" of owners with issues that post up here. I love my car and this transmission. It is so smooth when going through the gears and much more efficient than a normal slushbox. Comparing the ride in my dads '09 passat 2.0T with the reg auto trans, there is a huge difference. So what if my Mechatronics unit was bad at 5k miles, dealer replaced it no questions asked; I have been running smooth ever since. I hope the next car I buy has a DSG gearbox, I wouldn't even think twice about it...

04-09-2009 10:54 AM #96
      Just dropped off my GTI at the dealer for a new mechatronics unit. Approximately 9200 miles on the car when I pulled into the garage.

I am optomistic

Also, I have a VF dogbone insert, but I do not expect VW to give me trouble over it. I have all the paperwork from them to back up their claim that the mech. unit was faulty, etc etc. They drove it for miles and miles with it in there, and they made all their decisions already.

///BrooklynAutoRennen

2014 VW GLI Autobahn/Nav/DSG - Two clutches. Two pedals. Four doors. No apologies.

27. 04-09-2009 02:32 PM #97
      I was just wondering on vibrations / hard shocks to the system. Mine was wonky before but the thing that seemed to really kill it was going over a bad pothole lastnight. Maybe I'll try and find a high curb and drive off it in reverse to see if it fixes it Maybe if I do that "Ehhhh" thing the fonz used to do on Happy Days when he hit the jukebox might help too.

28. 04-09-2009 02:34 PM #98
      Quote, originally posted by twinkers »
      Maybe if I do that "Ehhhh" thing the fonz used to do on Happy Days when he hit the jukebox might help too.

That's funny!!

29. 04-09-2009 02:47 PM #99
      It's all I can do not to cry. 2500$ CAN for the HPA flash, 2700$ for new clutchpacks + install and now this. All in a 5 week period.

Yay me !!

30. 04-09-2009 02:50 PM #100
      It's all I can do not to cry. 2500$ CAN for the HPA flash, 2700$ for new clutchpacks + install and now this. All in a 5 week period.

Yay me !!

So, no warranty because of the upgrades?

31. 04-09-2009 03:52 PM #101
      It seems that has happened a lot. My car was "wrecked" before I bought it and really all they did was hit a concrete stump. Didn't even come past the bumper but I am almost sure that's what did the mechatronics damage. Others have hit potholes etc and screwed up the mech unit as well. You would think that whatever it broke on the unit could be fixed. I'll bet it's a solder joint but all VW can do it replace it fro $2500+ Oh well at least it's not a Honda, right?

I was just wondering on vibrations / hard shocks to the system. Mine was wonky before but the thing that seemed to really kill it was going over a bad pothole lastnight. Maybe I'll try and find a high curb and drive off it in reverse to see if it fixes it Maybe if I do that "Ehhhh" thing the fonz used to do on Happy Days when he hit the jukebox might help too.

32. 04-09-2009 03:57 PM #102
      That's all fine and dandy until the car is out of warranty and it breaks. It's not like any other brand of car that you can take to your local transmission shop and they rebuild it. It will cost you $2500 at least and there is no way around that unless you want to just pay off the car and let it sit in your front yard while you drive a used Honda that still works after ten years.

The problem is not THAT they break, it's that when they break you have NO OPTION other than replacement. Imagine if you blew a tire and they made you swap out the front end every time. It's exactly like that. All car brands break down. All of them. But VW is the only one you can't repair without full replacement at maximum dealer prices.

We also need to remember the fact that of the 10's of 1000's of cars with the DSG transmission there are for the most part a "handful" of owners with issues that post up here. I love my car and this transmission. It is so smooth when going through the gears and much more efficient than a normal slushbox. Comparing the ride in my dads '09 passat 2.0T with the reg auto trans, there is a huge difference. So what if my Mechatronics unit was bad at 5k miles, dealer replaced it no questions asked; I have been running smooth ever since. I hope the next car I buy has a DSG gearbox, I wouldn't even think twice about it...

33. 04-09-2009 04:02 PM #103
      I'm not even going to ask about warranty. They already replaced an entire DSG before I had my BT. I would be willing to bet that the shock from potholes etc. is whats doing it, and since I have all 3 VF mounts there is less cushion to absorb that shock.

I just talked to NIK over at HPA and he's going to try and source me another mech unti preflashed with my stage 3R. After I replace it I am taking it to work (Electrical Engineering at a University) and see if we can't find out what went wrong. But yeah I'm willing to bet a broken solder joint etc. Luckily we have a surface mount rework station available. It's kinda funny, I will have a spare clucth pack, flywheel and prolly mech unit. I could almost build another DSG with my spare frackin parts.

34. 04-09-2009 04:05 PM #104
      I'm not even going to ask about warranty. They already replaced an entire DSG before I had my BT. I would be willing to bet that the shock from potholes etc. is whats doing it, and since I have all 3 VF mounts there is less cushion to absorb that shock.

I just talked to NIK over at HPA and he's going to try and source me another mech unti preflashed with my stage 3R. After I replace it I am taking it to work (Electrical Engineering at a University) and see if we can't find out what went wrong. But yeah I'm willing to bet a broken solder joint etc. Luckily we have a surface mount rework station available. It's kinda funny, I will have a spare clucth pack, flywheel and prolly mech unit. I could almost build another DSG with my spare frackin parts.

If you could do that and find out what is broken and it's easy enough to fix on a bench you could make tons of money once people knew you would do it. You could charge 500 dollars even and still people would do it. I wonder if my dealer is going to give me back my mech. unit of if he's going to tell me that there is a "core charge".

35. 04-09-2009 04:26 PM #105
      Possibly I have to find out first if its a layered board. If so it's gonna be really hard to fix, assuming it's not just one of the valves. With mine it's the K2 valve that's malfunctioning so at least we can start from there. I'm still gonna drive off a couple curbs and see if my "fonz" fix works first

Uggh this sucks.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast