Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Unofficial" DSG Issues Thread

1. 04-09-2009 03:52 PM #101
      It seems that has happened a lot. My car was "wrecked" before I bought it and really all they did was hit a concrete stump. Didn't even come past the bumper but I am almost sure that's what did the mechatronics damage. Others have hit potholes etc and screwed up the mech unit as well. You would think that whatever it broke on the unit could be fixed. I'll bet it's a solder joint but all VW can do it replace it fro $2500+ Oh well at least it's not a Honda, right?
      Quote, originally posted by twinkers »
      I was just wondering on vibrations / hard shocks to the system. Mine was wonky before but the thing that seemed to really kill it was going over a bad pothole lastnight. Maybe I'll try and find a high curb and drive off it in reverse to see if it fixes it Maybe if I do that "Ehhhh" thing the fonz used to do on Happy Days when he hit the jukebox might help too.

2. 04-09-2009 03:57 PM #102
      That's all fine and dandy until the car is out of warranty and it breaks. It's not like any other brand of car that you can take to your local transmission shop and they rebuild it. It will cost you $2500 at least and there is no way around that unless you want to just pay off the car and let it sit in your front yard while you drive a used Honda that still works after ten years.
      The problem is not THAT they break, it's that when they break you have NO OPTION other than replacement. Imagine if you blew a tire and they made you swap out the front end every time. It's exactly like that. All car brands break down. All of them. But VW is the only one you can't repair without full replacement at maximum dealer prices.
      Quote, originally posted by Akira »
      We also need to remember the fact that of the 10's of 1000's of cars with the DSG transmission there are for the most part a "handful" of owners with issues that post up here. I love my car and this transmission. It is so smooth when going through the gears and much more efficient than a normal slushbox. Comparing the ride in my dads '09 passat 2.0T with the reg auto trans, there is a huge difference. So what if my Mechatronics unit was bad at 5k miles, dealer replaced it no questions asked; I have been running smooth ever since. I hope the next car I buy has a DSG gearbox, I wouldn't even think twice about it...

3. 04-09-2009 04:02 PM #103
      I'm not even going to ask about warranty. They already replaced an entire DSG before I had my BT. I would be willing to bet that the shock from potholes etc. is whats doing it, and since I have all 3 VF mounts there is less cushion to absorb that shock.
      I just talked to NIK over at HPA and he's going to try and source me another mech unti preflashed with my stage 3R. After I replace it I am taking it to work (Electrical Engineering at a University) and see if we can't find out what went wrong. But yeah I'm willing to bet a broken solder joint etc. Luckily we have a surface mount rework station available. It's kinda funny, I will have a spare clucth pack, flywheel and prolly mech unit. I could almost build another DSG with my spare frackin parts.

4. 04-09-2009 04:05 PM #104
      I'm not even going to ask about warranty. They already replaced an entire DSG before I had my BT. I would be willing to bet that the shock from potholes etc. is whats doing it, and since I have all 3 VF mounts there is less cushion to absorb that shock.
      I just talked to NIK over at HPA and he's going to try and source me another mech unti preflashed with my stage 3R. After I replace it I am taking it to work (Electrical Engineering at a University) and see if we can't find out what went wrong. But yeah I'm willing to bet a broken solder joint etc. Luckily we have a surface mount rework station available. It's kinda funny, I will have a spare clucth pack, flywheel and prolly mech unit. I could almost build another DSG with my spare frackin parts.

If you could do that and find out what is broken and it's easy enough to fix on a bench you could make tons of money once people knew you would do it. You could charge 500 dollars even and still people would do it. I wonder if my dealer is going to give me back my mech. unit of if he's going to tell me that there is a "core charge".

5. 04-09-2009 04:26 PM #105
      Possibly I have to find out first if its a layered board. If so it's gonna be really hard to fix, assuming it's not just one of the valves. With mine it's the K2 valve that's malfunctioning so at least we can start from there. I'm still gonna drive off a couple curbs and see if my "fonz" fix works first
      Uggh this sucks.

6. 04-09-2009 08:34 PM #106
      Well it seems to have "kinda worked" it still jerks a little but 80% less than last night. I think I chipped one of my rims by doiing it, but now I don't have to take the bus to work. On a positive note Nik from HPA has found me a mech unit that will be shipped with my 3R software already on it. So with a little luck I may have it by Friday so I can perform the surgery next weekend. I'll take lots of pics and put together a DIY for so at least someone else can benefit from my misfortune.

7. 04-10-2009 02:53 PM #107
      Some of the replies in this thread are really, really sad.
      It's a car. It's going to break. Yeah, it sucks that the DSG is still a new piece of tech for VW. The price we all pay for being early adopters.

8. 04-10-2009 03:06 PM #108
      Quote, originally posted by 334lif3 »
      Some of the replies in this thread are really, really sad.
      It's a car. It's going to break. Yeah, it sucks that the DSG is still a new piece of tech for VW. The price we all pay for being early adopters.

Early adopters? It's been around since 2003. You'd think that by now, it wouldn't be such a hassle to fix. It's absurd that a tranny would break in the first few thousand miles.

9. 04-10-2009 03:08 PM #109
      Quote, originally posted by luciano136 »
      Early adopters? It's been around since 2003. You'd think that by now, it wouldn't be such a hassle to fix. It's absurd that a tranny would break in the first few thousand miles.

it's not even that it breaks. Yes, everything breaks. But the point is that it can't be fixed, only replaced for three thousand dollars. When his warranty runs out he'll be singing a different tune.

10. 04-10-2009 03:18 PM #110
      Quote, originally posted by fuforums »
      it's not even that it breaks. Yes, everything breaks. But the point is that it can't be fixed, only replaced for three thousand dollars. When his warranty runs out he'll be singing a different tune.

I never keep a car past warranty.
      So my tune will probably sound like all those Audi commercials..

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-10-2009 03:57 PM #111
      I was going to comment about fuforums posts but I kept them to myself.
      Lets try and keep this on track...anyone have any updates on their particular situation?

04-10-2009 04:54 PM #112
      Quote, originally posted by Mikes72sb »
      Just dropped off my GTI at the dealer for a new mechatronics unit. Approximately 9200 miles on the car when I pulled into the garage.
      I am optomistic [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Also, I have a VF dogbone insert, but I do not expect VW to give me trouble over it. I have all the paperwork from them to back up their claim that the mech. unit was faulty, etc etc. They drove it for miles and miles with it in there, and they made all their decisions already.

Follow-up
      Got the car back. Smooth as butter. Just like the day I took 'er home. Such a pleasure driving it
      ///BrooklynAutoRennen

2014 VW GLI Autobahn/Nav/DSG - Two clutches. Two pedals. Four doors. No apologies.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-11-2009 12:04 PM #113
      Quote, originally posted by Mikes72sb »
      Follow-up
      Got the car back. Smooth as butter. Just like the day I took 'er home. Such a pleasure driving it

Great to hear it! Welcome to the I-got-a-new-mechatronics-unit-now-my-car-drives-normal-again-club! lol

14. 04-11-2009 12:10 PM #114
      Just curious about those who have reported issues with your DSG.
      1. How hard have you driven the car/engine & did you ever do the deadstop WOT launchs periodically/frequently ?
      2. Drive in tip frequently or D or S?

Just trying to see if we can find a pattern to see why the DSG is having common issues.

15. 04-11-2009 01:24 PM #115
      My theory is that most of the problems seem to be with the 2008 + models. There is /was probablly a bad batch of valves or circuit boards they were using. The heat from the transmission transfered to the circuit board combined with the shock of potholes, speedbumps, hard launches etc. is probably either having some of the surface mount components come loose or severing traces/solder joints from the board. This is only a theory but hopefully I'll have my new one from HPA in the next 7 days so I can take my old one into work and get it x-rayed (to check for breaks if the board is multi layered). After that I can start checking all the solder joints. Hopefully there are part numbers on the valves and other components so we can find a distibutor and be able to replace them ourselves.
      Edit:
      It looks like there are part numbers.

Modified by twinkers at 10:57 AM 4-11-2009

04-11-2009 03:08 PM #116
      Quote, originally posted by piston »
      1. How hard have you driven the car/engine & did you ever do the deadstop WOT launchs periodically/frequently ?

Just trying to see if we can find a pattern to see why the DSG is having common issues.

1. I don't drive my car very hard on a daily basis, but I am not afraid to give it gas when I need to...or want to I did 1 autocross event so far with this car. I have used LC 5-6 times over the span of a year.
      2. 55% in D, 40% in Tip, 5% in S

I agree with twinkers. I think there was a bad run of units.
      ///BrooklynAutoRennen

2014 VW GLI Autobahn/Nav/DSG - Two clutches. Two pedals. Four doors. No apologies.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-11-2009 11:22 PM #117
      Quote, originally posted by piston »

1. I drive the car normal but from time to time I like to get on it. I haven't done any WOT launches from a standstill, but have done some hard rolling launches.
      2. I drive mainly in D, sometimes in S, rarely in Tip mode.

18. 04-14-2009 01:05 PM #118
      I called the dealer that had ordered the maf unit for me last week. After being on hold for close to thirty minutes while they tried to find it, they told me that it has been "backordered" and won't be in until Thursday, convenient as she told me last week parts take two business days to come in. Called around and found a it at a different dealer and picked it up. The guy I spoke to on the phone told me to just put it in myself, switch everything back to stock and bring it in and make no mention of the aftermarket intake. He told me they would look at it, and play dumb about the phone call this morning. Hopefully, all goes well when I take it in an hour.

New update: The new dealer drove my car around for a little bit and they were able to replicated the problem. They said it was most likely the mechatronics unit and will have to call in and report it, so I have to drop the car off again next Tuesday for awhile. They're going to give me a rabbit to whip around in, in the meantime. Now since I'm dropping the car off, should I have to worry about having my apr chip at all? I put it back in stock everytime I go to get dealer work done as it is. Just don't want them to say anything about the mech unit failing because of the chip if they find it.
      I'm glad this is finally starting to work out.

Modified by crabbedcarp at 3:50 PM 4-14-2009

19. 04-14-2009 04:56 PM #119
      APR (ECU) should have absolutely no bearing on your mech (TCU).
      Unless the added power caused a mechanical issue with a clutch pack or something, (which I highly doubt) the APR won't be a problem. Can the dealer flash over the ECU and erase the APR? I don't know the answer to that question.

20. 04-14-2009 05:36 PM #120
      If they do flash over it, I'm not worried since I can just get it redone. I just got the fully loaded ecu so now I have the lock out feature, so I'm not stressing the flash anymore.

21. 04-15-2009 12:18 PM #121
      Anyone have a QTM look at their car before the mech unit can be ordered? I was told they can't move forward with ordering the unit until the QTM comes out.

22. 04-17-2009 06:26 PM #122
      Hey,
      Everyone here who is having a rough downshift when coming to a stop and can hear the shift forks smashing the clutch plates (or whatever the noise is) by chance is this happening after the tranny is warmed up?

23. 04-18-2009 10:41 AM #123
      Hey,
      Everyone here who is having a rough downshift when coming to a stop and can hear the shift forks smashing the clutch plates (or whatever the noise is) by chance is this happening after the tranny is warmed up?

Yep, without fail. Mine does the same thing only when the car is warmed up.

24. 04-18-2009 11:11 AM #124
      From what I'm reading, when the dsg starts up there is a warm-up program. When the fluid gets to a certain temperature the warm-up program hands off control to the regular program with all the adaptations. So I'm thinking either the main logic chip is either damaged or one or more of the other sensors. I'm kinda leaning to the temp sensors G93 / G510 (which are just diodes on the main circuit board) and maybe G509 which is in the sensor you unplug when removing the mech unit. I have one on order which should be in later this week. When I remove my mech unit I'm going to try and catalog all the components and see which ones are available from digikey. Luckily I have access to a surface mount rework station for pulling the main logic chip(s) and various programmers for transfering the program to a new chip. I feel this is going to take months of trial and error but hopefully it will help the DSG community in the future.

25. 04-19-2009 02:33 AM #125
      If you have a mech unit pulled apart, then why don't you get some photos up for the rest of us.
      Part numbers and potential schematic would be useful as well. At least if you really mean for this to be useful to the community...

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast