Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: With all the Greyhound bashing going on, figured I'd share this with ya'll: MEGABUS!

1. 08-07-2008 03:17 AM #1

The Megabus is a low cost bus system here in the US/Canada and UK. The rates are pretty resonable. My favorite part is that reservations can only be made online or on the phone. This tends to limit the number of sketchy characters climbing aboard. The other cool aspect is the direct service. No stops along the way to pick people up.

The ticket price from San Francisco to Los Angeles was $27. The total trip time was like 6.5 hours with 1 stop along Interstate 5. I made the reservation the night before. Now a plane ticket is only about 20 bucks more, but you must book 2 weeks in advance. I'd pay the extra to fly any day but if you don't have that 2 week advance then the bus might be an option.

I climbed on the bus at 11:45pm. It was packed! Mostly all younger to mid-aged people. The bus got under way, i drank some cough syrup and the next thing you know its morning time and I'm in LA. Very easy!

Anyone else ride it?

EDIT: Here's the FAQ
      http://www.megabus.com/us/help/general.php

Modified by MattyDVR6 at 7:20 AM 8-7-2008

Vehicles
      Turbo Brick
      08-07-2008 03:37 AM #2
      cough syrup

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      08-07-2008 03:47 AM #3
      Quote »
      I climbed on the bus at 11:45pm. It was packed! Mostly all younger to mid-aged people. The bus got under way, i drank some cough syrup and the next thing you know its morning time and I'm in LA. Very easy!

But where did that pain in your ass come from?

JK, seems like a pretty reasonable service. I remember taking a train across (vertically) the country once and it sucked, really bad (and was nearly as expensive as a plane). But this might be a better option, considering the cost.

A2Resource

4. 08-07-2008 03:59 AM #4
      That looks like a good deal actually

5. 08-07-2008 04:11 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by davedave »
      cough syrup

Would definitely make the ride more interesting. Would read again, highly recommend .

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 WJ
      08-07-2008 05:07 AM #6
      +1 for codeine

7. 08-11-2008 03:14 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by watson »
      +1 for codeine

I love the fact that as soon as you get on the bus you feel the need to drug yourself

Vehicles
      2001 Miata SE
      08-11-2008 03:28 AM #8
      When we took our summer trip, my friend, brother, dad and I took the megabus from Philadelphia to New York, something like $12 round trip for each person. They did a good job, on time, seemed fairly packed, decent drivers, although I must admit the driver driving into New York was ****ing crazy. Of course, me being from Nebraska maybe I'm just not used to that kind of driving, but he was either full throttle or full brake and he cut off more than one city bus. It was great.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      08-11-2008 08:25 AM #9
      cough syrup

You should have brought some random alcohols and made a Flaming Moe

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

08-11-2008 08:28 AM #10
      between the beheadings, the rollovers, and the "hey, we're supposed to be shut down but we changed our name to stay open!" retread separation company....I don't think I'm going to be taking a bus anytime soon.

well...maybe a charter bus to some football games....but I'll be incredibly drunk so I won't worry as much

MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      08-11-2008 08:53 AM #11
      i took this from DC to NYC and back last week. I wasn't big on the idea of taking a bus, but it was actually not bad at all. the bus was new and clean, it was really cheap ($15 round trip), they have wireless internet so I was able to get some work done, and it was on time.

definitely not your typical greyhound. I didnt notice any sketchy people on either trip. I probably won't drive to NY anymore

08-11-2008 04:02 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by moose82 »
      i took this from DC to NYC and back last week. I wasn't big on the idea of taking a bus, but it was actually not bad at all. the bus was new and clean, it was really cheap ($15 round trip), they have wireless internet so I was able to get some work done, and it was on time.

do they all have wireless internet?

also has anyone found the 1 dollar fare? I surfed around their site and didn't find it

Vehicles
      2003 Jeep GC 4.0, 2002 Maxima SE
      08-11-2008 04:08 PM #13
      say you're the only one to make a reservation, or just a couple people...will the bus still go if it's not full? or is it like being the only one to sign up for a certain class so the university cancels it?

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta
      08-11-2008 04:13 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by daveschi »
      say you're the only one to make a reservation, or just a couple people...will the bus still go if it's not full? or is it like being the only one to sign up for a certain class so the university cancels it?

The bus will run no matter how many people are on it.

The farther in advance you book the cheaper it is. Megabus says there is at least one $1 ticket on each bus

I have taken the DC-Baltimore-NYC Megabus and it was great. I booked the day before so it was $19 each way. That sure beats the $90 roundtrip it would cost me to drive to NYC. tolls alone cost $35 from Baltimore to DC.

The DC-Baltimore-NYC line is so busy that they are now using double decker busses.

I want to try the Boltbus but that only runs out of DC. The boltbus has free wifi but also has less seats then a normal bus so there is more legroom, important when you are 6'7" like me. The boltbus is actually run by greyhound.

Modified by focalBlur at 3:22 PM 8-11-2008

Vehicles
      SAAB 99; SAAB 900 turbo; ford ranger
      08-11-2008 04:21 PM #15
      I've heard of this .. friend in SF would take it to SD [maybe LA?] super cheap.

I've had Greyhound experiences in 3 states, and it is as bad as people say ..

But I've just discovered something in OR called the Valley Retriever .. its the ONLY way for me to get across the mountains to Bend; it's a comfortable turbo-charged shuttle-bus .. we were flying past traffic all thru the mountains

So it really depends where you live and what options are available. I've about given up on city buses, we keep getting more riders + increased fares + cut-back routes/times ..

if i didn't own a bus i wouldnt have to take the bus

Modified by Troike at 8:49 PM 8-11-2008

<< so it Hz >>

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      for every good post in this thread there are 10 illiterate people mashing buttons on their keyboard
      my SAAB 99

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      08-11-2008 04:25 PM #16
      I've seen the ads but I was skeptical until I read this. Makes me want to check it out. Thanks.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

17. 08-11-2008 04:26 PM #17
      oops. just did some googling. They stopped service in California. LAME!

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      08-11-2008 04:28 PM #18
      There are some Asian bus companies that run out of NYC to Boston and Washington DC, as well as other East Coast cities. Their safety records are spotty to say the least.

http://www.boston.com/news/loc...crash/

Here is someone with a Halloween costume pretending to be one of those buses

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      08-11-2008 05:07 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by VReihenmotor6 »

do they all have wireless internet?

also has anyone found the 1 dollar fare? I surfed around their site and didn't find it

I know all of the Bolt buses have internet. Not sure about the others (i was on boltbus).

As for the $1 fare, if you book early enough, you can get it. My fiance's best friend came down from NY to DC last week for our wedding. She booked it a few months out and got it for a buck. If you book a few days before the trip, it'll probably be $40 RT, two weeks before it was like $10.

Even at $40, it beats gas, tolls, wear on your car, having to think, etc

Vehicles
      '12 Honda Pilot EX-L, '04 Honda Accord EX 2.4
      08-11-2008 05:32 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by spockcat »

Some of those Fung-Wa bus drivers are CRAZY! I've been going 80MPH in the center lane of I91 and had one of these nut-jobs ridding my a$$!

Ironically, Fung-Wah makes a pit stop in my town of Manchester, CT for the Chinese buffet. So if I ever get stranded in NY or Boston, I can take a Fung-Wa home.

My flickr
      "The best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it." - Harry S. Truman

08-11-2008 05:47 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by GolfTango »

Some of those Fung-Wa bus drivers are CRAZY! I've been going 80MPH in the center lane of I91 and had one of these nut-jobs ridding my a$$!

they can't use the left lane so they are completly at the mercy of who evers in the middle lane

I've taken it over a dozen times, it is pretty nutz that no matter how nasty the weather is they always seem to make it from start to finish in the same time

Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      08-11-2008 06:10 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by GolfTango »

I had one move over into the right lane whilst I was driving in it. He forced me into the breakdown lane at 75 mph.

Quote »
      Ironically, Fung-Wah makes a pit stop in my town of Manchester, CT for the Chinese buffet. So if I ever get stranded in NY or Boston, I can take a Fung-Wa home.

The one on Broad Street? They must almost go past my office!

| The Orange Line | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

Vehicles
      13 Accord, 14 Odyssey
      08-11-2008 06:28 PM #23
      Glad to hear you weren't decapitated!

Seriously though, a lot of friends take this from STL - Chicago for Cards / Cubs games and always brag about spending only $20-$40 each way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack
      Supercars, like blow jobs, are completely pointless, and I certainly don't want to live in a world without either.

Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac Sunfire, 2008 Suzuki XL-7 AWD
      08-11-2008 07:55 PM #24
      If there's one thing that they pretty good in Mexico, it's bus service. When my dad and I use a bus down south, we take Turistar Ejecutivo, the luxury service line from Grupo Estrella Blanca.

When you purchase your ticket, you choose your seat on the bus. There are only 24 seats. The stops are limited and there is onboard movies, coffee bar and usually a small meal with a sandwitch, fruit and drink provided when you board the bus. Each seat also comes with a pillow. A one way fare to Torreon, which is about 500 miles south of Juarez, is about $53. Not bad considering the amount of service. The bus is governed at 95 km/h (59 mph) and takes about 10 hours.

My kids like me!

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      08-11-2008 08:02 PM #25
      Is that a Volvo chassis ?
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

26. 08-11-2008 08:05 PM #26
      cough syrup

sip'n on some sisurp

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      08-11-2008 08:05 PM #27
      It can't be any worse than the BaitBus

Vehicles
      08-11-2008 08:08 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »
      Is that a Volvo chassis ?

Yep, body and chassis. The 9700 to be exact.

My kids like me!

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      08-11-2008 08:42 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by MattyDVR6 »
      oops. just did some googling. They stopped service in California. LAME!

It never caught on in California. Buses often ran long-distance routes with only a handful of passengers. They just didn't get the volume to survive, then high Diesel costs finally killed them.

I looked at going from LA to SD, but found the pickup and drop off points to be too inconvenient to bother with. In San Diego, I'd have to take three city buses to get from the drop off point to downtown.

:gift:

Vehicles
      '13 Golf TDi
      08-11-2008 09:18 PM #30
      I went from Cinti to Chicago and back for $2.50 total. Not bad.
      Current Volvos: 2005 V70, 2000 V70, 1996 960
      Past Volvos: 1998 S70 T5M, 1999 V70R, 2004 S60R
      Past Audis: B5S4, 1990 90 2.3qm

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      08-11-2008 10:04 PM #31
      I'd rather take the BangBus.

08-11-2008 10:06 PM #32
      Quote, originally posted by MattyDVR6 »
      [I climbed on the bus at 11:45pm. It was packed! Mostly all younger to mid-aged people. The bus got under way, i drank some cough syrup and the next thing you know its morning time and I'm in LA. Very easy!

Anyone else ride it?

EDIT: Here's the FAQ
      http://www.megabus.com/us/help/general.php

Modified by MattyDVR6 at 7:20 AM 8-7-2008

You know they are leaving the California market right? Not enough people rode it... They had terrible marketing. people who might use it (students, hippies, greenies, retirees, immigrants) never heard of it before. And just as gas price hit $4 in California, they packed up.

The transportation related blogs in LA have all done some post-mortem on Megabus' operation in California and the general consensus is that they have no clue who rides long distance buses in California. It's not "poor" people as some would assume. It's roughly 50% young people (i.e. college students traveling on weekends to go home) and 50% recent immigrants (though not necessary poor immigrants, i.e. immigrants with limited English proficiency who are intimidated by flying due to TSA racial profiling - think Chinatown buses). Megabus failed miserably and never advertised its service to college kids nor in Asian media. It doesn't have stops in or near any college campus in Los Angeles or Asian heavy areas like San Gabriel Valley.

And lastly, Megabus went cheap and didn't lease out any bus depots. You get pickup and drop off at the curb in out of way places, usually near freeway offramp and have to catch city buses to get to where you want to go (i.e. say Downtown SF or SD or West LA).

Modified by bzcat at 6:23 PM 8-11-2008

Vehicles
      08-11-2008 10:33 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by bzcat »

And lastly, Megabus went cheap and didn't lease out any bus depots. You get pickup and drop off at the curb in out of way places, usually near freeway offramp and have to catch city buses to get to where you want to go (i.e. say Downtown SF or SD or West LA).

Modified by bzcat at 6:23 PM 8-11-2008

El Paso/Los Angeles Limousine Express used to do that when they stopped for passengers where I live. They did pickups/dropoffs in the parking lot of Hastings and you had to call the El Paso depot to let them know you wanted to be picked up. Then they bought the old Greyhound bus station here in town so they could have a permanent place for passengers to wait for buses since so many people were getting on/off the bus here in Las Cruces.

El Paso/Los Angeles is making money hand over fist and their buses are always packed. They run team drivers and have sleepers installed in the bus near the bathroom.

My kids like me!

34. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      08-11-2008 11:16 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by watson »
      +1 for codeine

Good for military stay-in-place hurricane sheltering too. When I was in tech school in MS with a hurricane bearing down on us, we were told we wouldn't be allowed to evac and that we'd have to stay in a segregated shelter for at least a week. I quickly stocked up earplugs and codeine.

Anyway, about the bus. It looks like a good deal. It's something I'd try out. I'm not really crazy with what air transportation has turned into, and the alternatives are looking better and better almost every day.

Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.