Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1999 passat v6 timing belt broke and questions

Vehicles
      1986 GTi 1997 Jetta GT
      08-13-2008 10:19 AM #1
      My nephew is thinking about buying a 99 passat that has broken a t-belt. I am guessing that this engine has bent valves from this.
      My main question is:
      Is this engine a VR6 or is it a different V6? (I have not seen the car...)
      And what are the chances that the bottom end is ok and I will just need to pull the head(s) and replace bent valves...
      And what bad things do I need to look out for taking the engine apart and putting it back together...?
      And yes, if the car is purchased the first thing that will be bought for the car is a Bentley...
      Any replies are appreciated.
      Please help me and a (possibly) a future Dubber out... lol

2. 08-13-2008 10:26 AM #2
      It would be V6, not VR6, same as used in the Audi. Sorry I don't have more to add.

Good luck

Vehicles
      1986 GTi 1997 Jetta GT
      08-13-2008 11:25 AM #3
      Thanks!
      That helps....

4. 08-13-2008 12:45 PM #4
      The engine is a 30 valve V6...and those valves aren't cheap so you better get the car dirt cheap! If you decide to tackle this..be aware you need to pull the nose of the car forward just to get at timing belt...that's why shops charge so darn much to do TB job on these cars and folks procrastinate changing belt and end up like this one....To do TB you need special tools...once you get heads off and rebuilt and back on..go to Blauparts website and order their TB kit...includes waterpump, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler bulley..etc. that should be changed at every belt change...you don't wanna be goin back in there anytime soon 'cause something besides belt fails)..for something like $35 they will rent you a tool kit with all the special tools to do the job correctly..you get two weeks to do it and send back the tool kit.
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

5. 08-13-2008 09:58 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by noddaz »

And yes, if the car is purchased the first thing that will be bought for the car is a Bentley... lol
      You've been here before
      I used sealed power valves from Rock auto in my 1.8t passat . I've been using them for v-8's for years. There are a few people on here that say no no to that, but mine runs fine (and I'm sure it will for a long time). The price dif was around $45 / valve. Good luck. That motor looks like a bear to work on compared to the 4 cyl.

Vehicles
      1986 GTi 1997 Jetta GT
      08-17-2008 08:06 AM #6
      Thanks for the help guys. The car is now sitting in my driveway...
      I guess it is time to order thr Bentley for this car. The shop that had the car had pulled the front end loose. I hope we received all the parts with the car............
      On that note since the timing covers are off exposing the belt I can see in two places where teeth are missing.
      And the saga begins... lol