Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A DIY to change the DRL's on a Jetta

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 337 1.8T - 2001 VW JETTA 1.8T,2003 GOLF GLS 2.0, 2008 TUNDRA 5.7L
      10-09-2008 06:31 PM #36
      i tried this and it didnt work it just changed it so when i open the hood my headlights flash twice and thats it also do you know how to make it so i have daytime driving lights thanks

10-09-2008 11:48 PM #37
      k so I tried this and loved it and then I realized I didn't have any high beams. So I put it back to standard and it's still the same story. Has anyone found out what has happened? I noticed a few people with similar problems. Did we burn out the relay? All my fuses are fine. I even pulled out the bulbs but they look fine also. I would assume this would happen to everybody. Check all your lights after doing this mod. But by then it may already be too late.
      Use My Referral For Copy.com
      https://copy.com?r=ohWHfS

3. 10-15-2008 12:07 AM #38
      sweet diy. nice job.

4. 10-23-2008 05:25 PM #39
      Could you reply with what actual number wires you switched. I did mine and it made my fog lights the drl and when I turned my lights on only the fog and ambers were on not my regular light.

Vehicles
      92 gti vr / 2012 GLI
      01-17-2009 09:56 AM #40
      Any more info on how this works for a golf?

6. 01-25-2009 11:40 AM #41
      I dont have a solid yellow or a solid grey on my 05 GLI...has any GLI'ers dont this mod? Which wires...I HAAATE my DRL's!

7. 01-25-2009 12:43 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by egibbys »
      k so I tried this and loved it and then I realized I didn't have any high beams. So I put it back to standard and it's still the same story. Has anyone found out what has happened? I noticed a few people with similar problems. Did we burn out the relay? All my fuses are fine. I even pulled out the bulbs but they look fine also. I would assume this would happen to everybody. Check all your lights after doing this mod. But by then it may already be too late.

that happened to me too, but my brakes and washer fluid also stopped working.

Vehicles
      Bagged Galactic Blue Wolfsburg
      01-26-2009 09:17 AM #43
      I believe the number wires that i switched were 4 and 10 or maybe 7 and 10.. i will post up the exact number wires i switched later on today..def before 3pm eastern
      |Build Thread| Awesome New Picture Thread| AccuAir | Air Zenith | Airlift | Bag Riders |

Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg
      01-26-2009 09:38 AM #44
      Maybe it's just me, but why do people want to disable their DRLs in the first place? You can't see that they are on from the driver seat, so it doesn't affect your perception of how the car looks. I mean, there is a reason why companies like VW utilize them (such as the other driver seeing you in different weather conditions).

I don't think perserving bulb life and this DIY are worth it that much to go through the trouble, but to eaches' own.

Regardless, nice writeup.

10. 01-28-2009 06:51 PM #45
      i did this, but i have aftermarket hids...which draw from an altenate power source...so they stayed on even after i switched it. i ended up just blocking the whole terminal in the actual switch to get them to turn off. try block terminal 7....i just put some electric tape over it and that did the trick...

Vehicles
      01-28-2009 07:46 PM #46
      I had aftermarket hids when i did this writeup.. the only problem i ran into was when you switch them the hids run on the parking lights fuse and parking lights run on drl fuse.. so **MAKE SURE YOU SWITCH THE FUSES** as stated in the writeup or else the hids will blow your fuses like it did to mine and you will be wondering what you effed up.. so just dont forget to do that step
      |Build Thread| Awesome New Picture Thread| AccuAir | Air Zenith | Airlift | Bag Riders |

Vehicles
      01' Slammed Wolfsburg Jetta - SOLD, 98' Slammed Passat Avant - SOLD, 01' S2000 - DD
      01-28-2009 07:51 PM #47
      not to be mean its nice you went and figured this out and made a DIY, but just drop $40 for a euroswitch and get a piece of electrical tape, put the tape over the TFL pin and then plug it into the euroswitch, now you have no DRLs and with one click to the right you have what you have there

Vehicles
      2001/VW/GTI VR6
      01-28-2009 08:38 PM #48
      A little off topic but I have blue lights on my DRL'S, but they are LEDS and it dosent give a nice glow...

Anyone know where to get a nice bulb that makes the circle chrome part section thingy of where the DLRs and highbeams go... that would give a nice glow.

Im either going for full joey mod and amber DLRs BUT I WOULD LOVE to paint the small chrome circle a nice deep orange... my car is black so I think it would look pretty nice.

Any help???

14. 02-27-2009 08:01 PM #49
      So I just did this mod and it appears to work just fine. What I'm wondering is if the difference in wire gauge could cause a problem. It seems to me that switching the fuses is all well and good but would pushing the extra power for the headlights through the DRL cause issues? I noticed that when you turn the headlight switch on with the car off the headlights now come on with the parking lights. So what this tells me is that the wire feeding the DRL's is now feeding the headlights as if they are parking lights.

Secondly, I believe my fuses were 20-14 not 18-20, can anyone verify this (2004 Jetta 1.8T)

Thanks

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI, 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport
      03-09-2009 11:17 PM #50
      could you move the wires in the harness at the switch in the dash instead? what ever wire powers the city light or amber light to the TFL position??
      Dubs Along the Rockies <-- Showing you how its done in Colorado!
      MetroDubs - Having fun in Colorado since 2005
      Find us on FaceBook and Twitter

16. 03-10-2009 02:31 PM #51
      good DIY, just did it this mornin

17. 03-10-2009 09:50 PM #52
      good diy, suuuuper easy and it is wires 7 and 10 you have to switch, at least thats what I used for my 01 jetta

18. 06-05-2009 04:57 PM #53
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3590000

according to this fuse diagram, the amperage for the fuses you listed are not correct

18+19 (high beam) are actually 10 amps
      20+21 (low beam) are actually 15 amps
      22+23 (parking/side markers) are actually 5amps

i believe you wrote down the correct amps but wrote the incorrect fuses

can anybody verify this?

19. 06-08-2009 02:22 PM #54
      I noticed that too. Anybody else??

20. 06-09-2009 04:49 AM #55
      not bad for 0 investment, but with high beam is better

Vehicles
      GLI 1.8T BT
      07-26-2009 01:12 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by Toronto Vento »
      By the way, this mod only works if you have the stock headlight switch. If you have a euroswitch, things don't quite work right. You get the ambers as the DRLs, but turning the switch to position 1 gives you headlights on (as this mod reverses the wires for headlights and amber turns).

If you want this to work with the euroswitch, you have to cut the middle wire (yellow/green) on relay 173 and hook this up directly to the amber bulbs. It's not a simple process...takes some time to get everything to work right (have to put diodes in, etc).

Back from the dead. Anyone have more info on this?

I only have high beams, low beams, and a tiny amber bulb. Would like my amber bulb to function as a DRL and turn signal (with the euroswitch).

Vehicles
      07-26-2009 02:07 PM #57
      a lil update for you guys.. yes its a pain if you have the euroswitch (on jettas) since you dont need to do this diy to ge the parking lights as your drls because all you do at that point is just flip the switch one position over.. but

if you are running a oem switch with 1 fog position(north american switch?) then you are fine.. im running one right now and my parking lights still light up as the drls..and i will be installing fogs in the lower grilles. but gtis are a pain from what i understand because the wiring is a bit dirfferent from jettas because thye have separate high and low beam bulbs

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta TDI
      10-23-2009 10:13 PM #58
      So the mod works great on my '03 Jetta, my ambers are now my DRL's .

But now when I turn my hi-beams on, my low-beams don't turn off (the ambers turn off instead). It makes sense why this happens, but as far as I know I can't run the low and high beams at the same time when in the same bulb like our stock headlights.

Anybody know a work around for this?

Vehicles
      10-24-2009 12:39 AM #59
      i found it pretty cool actually that this happens^ since i have a drop in 6000k hid kit in my headlights i disconnected my highbeams because i dont need them.. so when i run my lower grille foglights and drls at the same time it looks pretty sick.. then when i turn on my low beams i flick the switch forward to turn on my "highbeams" which in turn turn off the drls and get rid of the orange glow in my housings leaving me with my foglights and crystal 6000k hids up top

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta TDI
      10-24-2009 12:27 PM #60
      Hey tofik0, since you seem to have done a lot of headlight work, maybe you would know.

I know the high beams are turned on/off by the turn signal stalk (on a stock headlight setup), but does the high beam signal still go through the headlight switch? Do you know what part of the electrical system tells the low-beams to go off and the high beams to come on?

Vehicles
      Never ending project. club.broke.status
      10-24-2009 12:34 PM #61
      Macro FTW

Vehicles
      10-24-2009 01:35 PM #62
      Quote, originally posted by Jeepmb »
      Hey tofik0, since you seem to have done a lot of headlight work, maybe you would know.

I know the high beams are turned on/off by the turn signal stalk (on a stock headlight setup), but does the high beam signal still go through the headlight switch? Do you know what part of the electrical system tells the low-beams to go off and the high beams to come on?

pm sent

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta TDI
      10-24-2009 01:56 PM #63
      Reply sent, I think. Sorry, i'm used to the TDIClub forum style of pm.

29. 11-18-2009 12:32 PM #64
      GTI people. I traced the wire for the turnsignal and switched the yellow with the wire... Reason it doesn't matter that i can't tell you which wire it is because it makes your headlight the turnsignal. ha ha it was pretty funny. if i had done both and put on the 4-way flashers the front would look like this so i switched wire locations 7&10 and run city lights which i had amber as my city lights so it still looks good and no more DRLs!!! hooray

Modified by VW2002GTI at 10:25 AM 11-18-2009
      Flame suit prepared
      I like drinking my own kool aid because i know its full of arrogance, which is pretty tasty

30. 11-18-2009 11:25 PM #65
      awesomeee write up, answered an a$$ load of questions for me and i will be doing his ASAP thanks a lot man

31. 11-21-2009 07:54 AM #66
      Did this a year ago, and OK until about a month ago when a fuse went taking out one headlight and the instrument cluster. That was replaced easily.

This week tho I noticed the turn signal DRLs are out, just not on at all. Signal lights/hazards work right.

All fuses (I mean all fuses) look good.
      Is it the bulb (look OK, they're one filament, right), or a relay?

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition, 1984 GTI, 1991 GTI 16V
      12-10-2009 02:37 PM #67
      i just cut and swapped the wires instead of taking the whole plug appart. use quality conectors and hide it in the splitloom and you will never see the splice. saved me alot of time and effort. just another way to achieve the same result.
      2001 Jetta WE 1.8T, K03s, Forge DV, Intake:1991 2.0L 16V GTi, 50mm Intake Manifold, AC Delete, TT Header/Exhaust, Shaved 1.8L Head, LSD, K&N, H&R Springs, Neuspeed Sway Bars:1984 GTi, 1.8L Block Boared 1mm, 1mm OS 10:1CR TT Pistons, 2mm OS Skinny Valves, TT Heavy Valve Springs, TT 306 Race Cam, Port &Polished & Shaved Head, TT Header/Exhaust, LSD, OS Radiator, K&N, 4K Tranny, H&R Springs, TT Sway Bars

33. 12-16-2009 09:29 PM #68
      Quote, originally posted by kroutbrner »
      i just cut and swapped the wires instead of taking the whole plug appart. use quality conectors and hide it in the splitloom and you will never see the splice. saved me alot of time and effort. just another way to achieve the same result.

Which wires?

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Wolfie
      01-15-2010 11:03 PM #69
      hi, well i just tried out this diy exactly the way it tells me. i switched the fuses and switched the grey and yellow wires on the headlights. my brake lights and my passenger reverse light works but the actual running tail lights arent working. the one that suppose to turn on once you turn on the switch. i put everything back to its original places. fuse and wires. and it still doesnt work. i checked the fuses and bulbs and they are all fine. what could be the problem?

Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLI 24v
      01-15-2010 11:50 PM #70
      I know what I'm doing before I head back to school.
      Flickr
      N.E.R.D. North East Region Dubs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast