Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Malfunction Indicator Light

1. 08-14-2008 10:17 AM #1
      This morning i got the " Malfunction Indicator Light " on my dashboard.. anyone knows what could trigger it?

Manual says its something to do with emissions, etc..

2. 08-14-2008 10:23 AM #2
      how come engines always look like chubby helicopters to the manual writers/car makers?

3. 08-14-2008 10:24 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by nintendodude »
      how come engines always look like chubby helicopters to the manual writers/car makers?

i know, right..

It was fine last night. This morning i turned it on, and the car went on right away and stayed on.

Vehicles
      2012 4Dr Golf TDI TechPkg
      08-14-2008 10:24 AM #4
      IT means the engine gonna blow.. just kidding

This little friend is a pretty constant reminder of driving a VW. There could be hundreds of things wrong, and unfortunately, only someone with a Vag-Com or a dealer can tell you exactly what is wrong. Avoid going to Autozone or the like to have it scanned, they will give your generic OBDII codes that won't pinpoint the issue.

Has the car been doing /running differently? What was happening the time this light came on?

5. 08-14-2008 10:28 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by TerryWood02 »
      IT means the engine gonna blow.. just kidding

This little friend is a pretty constant reminder of driving a VW. There could be hundreds of things wrong, and unfortunately, only someone with a Vag-Com or a dealer can tell you exactly what is wrong. Avoid going to Autozone or the like to have it scanned, they will give your generic OBDII codes that won't pinpoint the issue.

Has the car been doing /running differently? What was happening the time this light came on?

Thanks..

Honestly, i didnt feel anything out of ordinary.. (i was still sleepy this morning when i turned the car on, so maybe i missed some sound )

But, simply, it was fine last night, and this morning as soon as i turned the engine on, the light stayed on. I turned it off and then on again, same thing..

About driving... it seems the same (maybe little sluggish..)

Vehicles
      2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2008 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Coupe
      08-14-2008 10:44 AM #6
      Do you have any mods- chip, intake?

Did you switch gas stations?

Besides 'sluggish', are there any symptoms of misfiring- engine sounds a bit louder, vibrations etc?

7. 08-14-2008 10:46 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by pal »
      Do you have any mods- chip, intake?

Did you switch gas stations?

Besides 'sluggish', are there any symptoms of misfiring- engine sounds a bit louder, vibrations etc?

No mods. I did switch gas station (i went on a trip a week ago, and filled it then, but its been 6-7 days since then and car was fine)

I didnt feel any vibrations.. sounds..

Vehicles
      2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2008 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Coupe
      08-14-2008 10:52 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by adonix »

No mods. I did switch gas station (i went on a trip a week ago, and filled it then, but its been 6-7 days since then and car was fine)

I didnt feel any vibrations.. sounds..

It could be a bad batch of gas that is causing minor misfires and triggering the light. It happens more often than not ...

Besides that, we would really need a VAG-COM scan to help diagnose further. On MK4's, MAF failures were common and caused sluggish behavior and triggered a light .... not sure about MK5s though.

9. 08-15-2008 11:25 AM #9
      Weird, this morning - the MIL light is gone. Turned the car on, waiting for the MIL to appear, but nothing, everything looks back to normal..

10. 02-19-2009 12:12 PM #10
      This has happened to me before on my 01 Jetta 2.0L. It happened again yesturday after I had to crank the engine for a few second for it to start. Seems to run fine, so I'm hoping it goes out soon. I'm wondering if I should be checking something. I did change the plugs a couple thousand miles ago. Don't know if it could be related or maybe I need to change the wires too. Only 44k on them.

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLi, 2012 Jetta SE
      02-20-2009 07:34 PM #11
      I always thought that just meant you drove a VW...

It could be anything from your oil cap not being secured all the way, to a MAF or one of the other thousand sensors you have in your car.

12. 02-20-2009 07:53 PM #12
      that's normal vw behavior just ride it out it will go away until it blinks then jump out of the car "stop drop and roll" j/k

02-20-2009 08:15 PM #13
      it means go buy a honda...

no but seriously ive had a few phantom check engine lights on my gti. Once instance the light came on around 3pm but went way the next morning scanned it that day and everything was fine...this has happend twice in prolly like 10 or so months of ownership

Quote Originally Posted by BigTimBigTurbo View Post
      and i would never in a million years not even for a billion dollars let any colored person near my area

14. 02-21-2009 01:20 AM #14
      Just took mine to the dealer this PM. It was the oxygen sensor. Im not saying we have the same problem, just thought I'd share.

15. 02-22-2009 08:36 AM #15
      I just went to Advance to have the codes checked, and then the lights went out, which is cool.

I had the following codes.
      P0261 Cylinder #1 Injector control circuit low
      p0267 '' #2 ''
      P0264 #3
      P2670 #4
      P0445 evap emission control system purge valve C short
      P0037 H025 bank 1 sen 2 heater circuit low
      P0418 secondary air injection system relay A malfunction

I'm thinking maybe relay A stuck temporarly or something, which triggered the other codes. I'm kinda wondering if I should just forget about it which has been mentioned, or maybe look into some of this stuff to prevent a bigger problem. I'll probably just not worry about it. Any more thoughts? Thanks.

16. 02-22-2009 10:43 AM #16
      Quote, originally posted by playsomehoops »
      I just went to Advance to have the codes checked, and then the lights went out, which is cool.

I had the following codes.
      P0261 Cylinder #1 Injector control circuit low
      p0267 '' #2 ''
      P0264 #3
      P2670 #4
      P0445 evap emission control system purge valve C short
      P0037 H025 bank 1 sen 2 heater circuit low
      P0418 secondary air injection system relay A malfunction

I'm thinking maybe relay A stuck temporarly or something, which triggered the other codes. I'm kinda wondering if I should just forget about it which has been mentioned, or maybe look into some of this stuff to prevent a bigger problem. I'll probably just not worry about it. Any more thoughts? Thanks.

...you'll find that Autozone generic scans are next to useless and often just plain wrong...

17. 02-22-2009 10:52 AM #17
      Honestly, wouldn't even worry about it. If car is running fine, the light is not blinking, and it actually went away, its nothing. Gas cap issue, vapor/fume issue, bad gas, who knows.

I personally would only worry if the car was not running right or I noticed it was losing MPG's in a major way.

18. 02-22-2009 11:08 AM #18

I personally would only worry if the car was not running right or I noticed it was losing MPG's in a major way.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it seems like the MPG has dropped off, but I won't be sure till I fill up. I'll post when I find out. Runs fine though. Thanks for the input.