Here are the instructions for reseting and programming the service reminder
for the Golf ///, Jetta /// and other such car for the oil servie OEL, and the
service intervals IN1 and IN2.
This information has been obtained from a german repair manual for the cars and
has been tried successfully on the authors 1994 Golf GL, US Model.
IN00 - no service is required; this is the standard display
OEL - when 7500miles have been reached before the yearly service interval
IN01 - indicates it is time for the yearly service including oil change
IN02 - indicates it is time for the 15,000mile service with extra checks
The computer has counters that count not only the miles from the odometer to
flag for services but also counts time to flag for servies.
TO RESET THE INDIVIDUAL INDICATOR COUNTERS:
1. Turn on ignition (do not start the car)
2. Press the trip-reset button on the odometer (the trip value will not be
reset to zero but will reappear when the procedure is completed)
3. Turn off the ignition and then release the trip-reset button.
In the LCD display, you will see the display "OEL".
Using the button to set the MINUTES (lower one) of the digital clock, you will
reset the OEL interval counter. Press it, hold, release. Five (5) horizontal
lines will appear in the LCD display.
4. Press and release the trip-reset button
In the LCD display, you will see the display "IN01". Repeate the process under
step 3 above to reset this counter when required.
5. Again press the trip-reset and reset the IN02 counter if necessary.
If doing an oil change, ONLY reset the OEL counter.
If doing the IN01 service, reset BOTH the OEL and IN01 counters.
If doing the IN02 service, reset ALL of them, the OEL, IN01 and IN02 counters.
6. Turn on ignition (do not start the car).
7. After the appearance of the "IN00" display, turn off the ignition.
8. You are done. The trip counter should read as it did before you started.
PROGRAMMING THE SETTINGS OF THE VARIOUS SERVICE COUNTERS.
It is possible to program the current settings you want for the counters.
This used if the speedometer console is replaced or if you want to set your
intervals to a shorter value than the factory. For example, you can set the
computer to display OEL after only 3000 miles.
1. Turn on the ignition (do not start the car)
2. Depress the trip-reset button on the odometer.
Also depress the button to set the MINUTES of the digital clock (lower one).
3. The LCD display should read "OEL 1,S", where the S indicates SET.
4. Using the trip-reset button, you can call up the following counter banks
for the service intervals in sequence:
OEL 1,S - distance counter for oil change (ie 7500 miles normally)
OEL 2,S - time counter for oil change (ie 12 months)
IN 01,S - time counter for yearly service interval (ie 12 months)
IN 02,S - distance counter for special service (ie 15,000 miles )
5. Using the button for setting the MINUTES on the digital clock (lower one),
you can display the value of the counter. Repeated pressing of the button will
select a subsequent lower value of the counter and at the lowest level, it will
reset to the highest level and begin to decrease again. The step sizes are
blocks of miles (500 miles, I think) and months (the time setting for the
yearly service is a bit strange as I think it can be set to 1,2,3,4,5 or 6.
Maybe it counts in 2 month blocks? Does anyone know?).
6. Once you have set each counter to the value you want, turn off the ignition.
7. Work is done.