Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free and easy fix for ABS code 01276

1. 08-18-2008 10:42 AM #1
      This is not guaranteed to work, but it did for my car.

Many of us have been plagued with ABS lights on the instrument cluster. Way too many of us in fact. When the car is scanned for codes, the following code is often found:

01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
      16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

There are many threads on Vortex about this code. If you read through all of them. you'll find that most indicate that the ABS control module needed to be replaced. This replacement eliminates the ABS light and code.

I've had this code on and off for a couple of years now and recently, it got to the point where it was coming on EVERY time I drove the car. I did a lot of research on ABS control modules, how they historically fail (there is a large batch of them that fail because of weak electrical leads on an interior circuit board - the fix described below will not correct this problem) and what might lead to an out-of-spec signal. What I found is that the ABS control module is very sensitive to the voltage supplied to it. If the voltage at the module is too low, the module will detect this, assume that something is wrong, log the code and disable to ABS system to protect it from any damage. Obviously, if the voltage to the module is this critical, it is imperative that all electrical connections are good. Since my car is nearly 10 years old now, and the electrical connections for the ABS pump have never been touched, I immediately wondered if my connections were still good enough to keep the voltage to the module high enough. This led me to try the following simple fix - break the original connections and remake them. Hopefully this would reverse any degradation that may have taken place over the 10 years.

On a MKIV, there are three green 30A fuses on top of the battery. The two rightmost ones (S178 and S179) are for the ABS system. On the module itself, there is a large wiring harness that connects the module to power and to the ECU. There is also a smaller harness with two large gauge wires that pass power through the module to the ABS pump.

To fix my problem and eliminate the ABS light and out-of-spec signal, all I did was remove the two ABS fuses and reinstall them a couple of times so that contact surfaces were fresh. Next, I removed the two wiring harnesses from the ABS module and reconnected them (once). The car has been driven a couple of dozen times since this was done for a total of about 400 miles, and the light has not come back on yet. I'm continuing to monitor it, but at this point, it looks like the connections break and remake has elimiated the out-of-spec signal.

I'd be willing to bet that on cars where replacement of the ABS control module eliminated the 01276 code and ABS light, not all of the control modules actually needed to be replaced. Sure replacement worked, but that may solely be due to the fact that the wiring connections had to be broken to replace the module. Some of the modules do have actual internal defects that require replacement, but I'm not convinced that all do. In these cases, replacement of the module is unnecessary and incurs a needless expenditure of $$$.

I'd give this a try if you have the same code. It's free and relatively easy and might just work.

UPDATE - 11-17-08

The ABS light started coming on two weeks ago, approximately 2.5 months after doing the fix. This time I only reseated the two 30A ABS fuses on top of the battery and the ABS light hasn't come back on yet. I would try reseating the fuses first and see if that works. If not, then reseat the connectors on the ABS pump/control module.

Modified by VgRt6 at 10:20 PM 1-5-2009

Vehicles
      3.6 4mo
      08-20-2008 12:34 PM #2
      Thanks! just did this at lunch, well only the two fuses and worked!!! no more lights! and abs/asr back. ready for winter

3. 08-20-2008 01:32 PM #3

4. 08-20-2008 01:49 PM #4
      quick question, i just had a shop replace my strut mounts for me and when i got the car back the ABS and ASR lights are on in my cluster. is this because they didnt connect the sensors (i thought speed sensors before but not sure) to the back of the strut area (sorry not 100% clear where they go)???

or is it for the above reason the OP posted?

5. 08-20-2008 01:56 PM #5
      If the lights are on constantly, then I'd guess that they either didn't reconnect one or both of the front ABS sensors or damaged the wiring for one or both of them. You can check to see if they're connected. If nothing is obviously wrong, then I would recommend getting a VAG-COM scan.

The original post is about something different that what's likely your problem.

6. 08-20-2008 01:59 PM #6
      thank you sir and if i ever run into ya one day, ill provide this for your help

Vehicles
      2011 S4
      08-25-2008 12:30 PM #7
      Will be giving this a try later today. Had the ABS and ASR light come on today and hope this will fix it.

Vehicles
      A small fleet...
      10-14-2008 11:07 AM #8
      hmm.... may have to try this on the new beast....

9. 10-14-2008 11:17 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by bills6652 »
      thank you sir and if i ever run into ya one day, ill provide this for your help

believe me... about 95% of us on the forums owe Gary more than a few 's.

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      11-23-2008 10:53 PM #10
      Where is the ABS controller module located? I have these codes and have tried cleaning the contacts to the fuses -- no fix. I probably need to replace it but I want to get a look at it and see what's up.
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

11. 12-16-2008 02:57 PM #11
      I'm going to try this when i get out of work today. i have a good feeling that this is the issue and the ABS system dieing.

12. 01-02-2009 01:29 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by PhReE »
      Where is the ABS controller module located? I have these codes and have tried cleaning the contacts to the fuses -- no fix. I probably need to replace it but I want to get a look at it and see what's up.

It's attached to the ABS pump.

13. 01-02-2009 01:31 PM #13
      The contacts are definitely a cause of the ABS light coming on. About three months after I posted this, the ABS light came back on again and came on three drives in a row. I reseated the three green blade fuses on top of the battery (only) and the ABS light stopped coming on. It's been good for another month+ now.

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VR6, 2002 GTI 1.8T (sisters)
      01-02-2009 03:29 PM #14
      im ganna try this tonight

Vehicles
      3.6 4mo
      01-02-2009 03:34 PM #15
      my lights still have not come back on glad to have my abs / asr this winter.

16. 01-02-2009 04:00 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by dz_93TD »
      my lights still have not come back on glad to have my abs / asr this winter.

That good to hear!

Vehicles
      '05/VW/GTI 1.8T & '09/VW/Jetta 2.5
      01-05-2009 07:05 AM #17
      As mentioned in another post....

Quote, originally posted by dz_93TD »

Edit: op was there snow on the road when you mom took your car? if the front wheels are spinning and backs are not abs light comes on. mine did this once next day all was fine.

Modified by dz_93TD at 8:19 AM 12-10-2008

I've had my ABS and ESP light come on again today. The last time was last winter when braking pretty hard on an off ramp, and also in snow. Then today, when turning around a corner and "slipping" a little bit cause of snow on the ground. I'm definitely gonna try your fix and hopefully it'll work. My lights seem to come on, only when it's been snowing and I loose traction. I hope this works cause I could really use my ABS right about now. The roads here in Deutschland are horrible today.

18. 01-05-2009 10:54 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by lowBUDGETveeDUB »
      As mentioned in another post....

I've had my ABS and ESP light come on again today. The last time was last winter when braking pretty hard on an off ramp, and also in snow. Then today, when turning around a corner and "slipping" a little bit cause of snow on the ground. I'm definitely gonna try your fix and hopefully it'll work. My lights seem to come on, only when it's been snowing and I loose traction. I hope this works cause I could really use my ABS right about now. The roads here in Deutschland are horrible today.

Do you have code 01276? In my case, and for others where the simple fix works, this code is being logged and the ABS light turned on when a diagnostic test is being run while driving. The ABS system is not being used at the time. Your ABS light is coming on while the system is working when braking. That's makes me think that your problem is unrelated to the one being discussed in this thread.

Can you have the ABS control module scanned for codes and post the code numbers here?

Vehicles
      '05/VW/GTI 1.8T & '09/VW/Jetta 2.5
      01-05-2009 12:09 PM #19
      I haven't had time to scan it with my VAGCOM yet. It happend on my way to work and I'm here till 930 tonight, (central european time). I'll scan it tomorrow though. All i did last time was scan and reset and I've been good up untill today. My ABS and ESP are not working either. I tested them in a parking lot.

20. 01-05-2009 01:41 PM #20
      The ABS system is disabled whenever the light is on. This is done to protect the sytem from being further damaged by use.

21. 01-05-2009 05:49 PM #21
      wow i almost bought a new module too this is awesome thanks alot!

Vehicles
      MK5 Bunny, MK4 Jetta, MK1 Caddy, B5 A4 Avant
      02-16-2009 09:56 AM #22
      I found this and tried it to fix my problem. I just reseated the two fuses and it worked like a charm! Thanks a ton!

23. 02-16-2009 11:01 AM #23
      I just tried it and it worked

02-16-2009 11:07 AM #24
      my fuse box on top of the battery had a melt down. after replacing the entire fuse box i havent seen the lights back on. make sure all the connections going to the fuse box are tight!

25. 02-16-2009 11:51 AM #25
      surely if this was just a matter of remaking old connections it wouldn't happen again after 2 or three months? (seeing as the first connection lasted from ten years).

it sounds to me like the abs control module is being reset and that's what's fixing it (becuase by fixing the connection you're switching off the power to it).

I dont'; have the issue, but i can't see why you would lose a good connection if you reseated everything a month ago.

02-16-2009 08:31 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by ChaseSavesTheDay »
      my fuse box on top of the battery had a melt down. after replacing the entire fuse box i havent seen the lights back on. make sure all the connections going to the fuse box are tight!

also found this, may be of some help to others. i dunno..

27. 03-17-2009 08:48 AM #27
      how can I solve this problem on a golf mk3 vr6 syncro, 1997.
      because I don't have a fusebracket on my battery.

28. 03-18-2009 08:54 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by rudeboymcc »
      surely if this was just a matter of remaking old connections it wouldn't happen again after 2 or three months? (seeing as the first connection lasted from ten years).

it sounds to me like the abs control module is being reset and that's what's fixing it (becuase by fixing the connection you're switching off the power to it).

I dont'; have the issue, but i can't see why you would lose a good connection if you reseated everything a month ago.

You may be right. Frankly, I could care less WHY it works. All I know is that it DOES work.

29. 06-01-2009 04:05 PM #29
      Hello, ...can you show me (tell me) how can put out the 2 pins on the connecter ABS .The wires is out on the connecter, and i can't go out the 2 pins (i don't no how can putt the wires there)

Thank you!

30. 10-26-2009 12:58 PM #30
      ill try this

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 GTI VR6 (RIP), '02 GTI VRoom6
      10-27-2009 01:30 AM #31
      Sweet, thanks. I'll give this a shot. I raced a guy in an S4 and ripped the car pretty hard. I drove like 10 miles after that and the abs/asr lights both came on, but the brake pads light stayed off for some reason (normally comes on too). Do you think the motor shake could have shaken a wire loose?

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLI
      10-27-2009 02:33 PM #32
      saved for when im not in class
      VW enthusiast = Constant pursuit of driving a lowered car and trying not to spend more money on it.

33. 10-27-2009 02:57 PM #33
      this worked for me
      ive had the light on for about 2 years
      it doesnt feel right not having lights on lol

34. 11-02-2009 09:54 PM #34
      work 4 me only one week today the esp abs and brake light back sh*&^&^%%t i really need help

35. Member
      Vehicles
      01 gti 1.8t || 88 bmw m3
      11-23-2009 11:01 AM #35

it's working for me so far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast