Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DSG Fluid and Filter Technical Write-Up

1. 08-20-2008 09:24 PM #1
      I haven't seen one done by anyone on here so I am adding mine. Hope it helps someone.

I decided to do a technical write up on the service you should be doing every 40K miles.

The transmission has to be cold at start of service in order to adjust fluid level properly. I'd let the car sit overnight so that it gives you time to do what you need to do.

Parts you'll need

6x 1L of DSG Oil OE# G 052 182 A2 $18.34/1L
      DSG Oil Filter OE# 02E 305 051 C $43.22

Tools you'll Need

Ross Tech HEX-CAN cable and computer
      14MM Allen socket (for drain plug)
      24MM Hex Socket (for filter)
      8MM Allen Socket (for overflow tube)
      T20 Torx (for airbox inlet)

VAS 6262

or

I have this tool
      AST 1000 Fluid system

with
      AST ATF 106

First you'll need to remove the upper engine cover/airfilter

It is difficult to remove this cover because of the way it is held on. I pull up in the back first as it is reinforced. Remove MAF connector, clips for turbo inlet and fresh air inlet. Watch out for J nuts on the airbox inlet, if they come out put them back on the way they came off.

Next you'll want to remove the filter housing. It is located under the battery and is hard to see at first. Use a 24MM socket with extension to loosen the housing. Reach down and unscrew the housing and tilt it in it's bore to drain the fluid back into the trans. Once it is done draining pull housing out from behind the engine. It is a tight fit and requires patience. Pull filter out same direction. Replace filter in opposite order. The filters do not come with O-rings so reuse old one. I's assume at some point there will be one included with the filter but for now it is okay to reuse. After the filter has been replaced, install engine cover and reconnect MAF harness and clips and torx screws.

Next you are going to go under the car. With the car properly raised off ground using suitable jackstands or ramps, remove drain plug using 14MM Allen socket. Use a container able to hold approximately 6L of fluid. Once the plug is removed you will notice that not much fluid comes out. Once the initial fluid stops you can use an 8MM Allen or Allen socket to remove the plastic overflow tube inside the drain hole. This is where you will drain 5L of fluid.

Once the fluid has stopped draining replace plastic overflow tube and tighten to 3 nm.

Next you will be inserting VAS 6262 Tool or AST ATF 106 tool in place of drain plug.

The VAS 6262 utilizes the DSG fluid bottles to fill the transmission. It is more time consuming to do it this way but should be cheaper than purchasing the AST system. However if you are doing alot of trans services it pays for itself fast. From this point on I will be talking only about the AST system.

You will now need to fill the AST bottle with the DSG fluid. It holds about 3.5L of oil so you will need to refill before the engine is started.

Now connect the AST hose to the fitting you previously inserted into the drain hole.

Connect VAG-COM to vehicle and access transmission electronics. Go to Data block 19 and monitor Transmission Fluid Temp.

Pump 5.5L of fluid into the transmission and close off valve. Go to the topside of the car and start engine. Holding brake, move gear selector into each position for 3 seconds and return to park. Now let idle and watch temp on screen. Once the temp is at 35 deg Celcius, remove adapter, hose and allow excess fluid to drain. Once the fluid level is correct it will slow to a drip. At this point replace drain plug with new aluminum washer and torque to 45 nm. Clean off oil and test drive. Enjoy!

Modified by Sureguy at 11:53 AM 8-21-2008

2. 08-20-2008 09:26 PM #2
      Of course if you don't want to buy the tool you can always make one. http://deviantspeed.com/diy-ds...s6262

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI MKV
      08-20-2008 10:24 PM #3
      You should also make sure that when you are doing the final step. To have the car level so the right amount of fluid comes out. This will let you make sure its filled to the proper level and not a little less because the car being on a slope.

Vehicles
      2010 Audi B8 S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & 2007 VW MKV GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      08-20-2008 10:32 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by agpatel21 »
      You should also make sure that when you are doing the final step. To have the car level so the right amount of fluid comes out. This will let you make sure its filled to the proper level and not a little less because the car being on a slope.

To the OP, this is an important step which according to the photos was not followed!

GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

5. 08-21-2008 02:30 AM #5
      Good point. If you use a set of ramps the trans actually sits pretty level. Otherwise a rack is preferred.

6. 08-22-2008 03:56 PM #6
      Can this get added to the DYI Trans section?

Vehicles
      2011 Kink Gap Xl, 2000 Haro Blammo,'08 Gti
      08-22-2008 04:19 PM #7
      Nice work

Vehicles
      01/13 PASSAT TDI, 08 GTI
      08-22-2008 06:23 PM #8
      I wish I could do it. Besides dealer ships who can do this properly? I assume this is not regular shop kind of stuff?

And how much is this at the stealerships?

9. 08-22-2008 07:17 PM #9
      It's really not that hard. The biggest hurdle you have to get over is that it is not filled from the top. Once you can conceptualize how the service works it's cake. If you've done one you can do it within 30 min again with the right tools.

10. 11-13-2008 08:44 PM #10
      UP

Vehicles
      MkV GTi
      11-13-2008 08:51 PM #11
      sticky, please

12. 11-13-2008 08:57 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by squitiere »
      sticky, please

second

13. 02-05-2009 12:24 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by lonepatrone »

second

+3

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI(SOLD), 2010 Passat Wagon, 2012 Jetta GLI(SOLD), 2011 CC R Line
      02-05-2009 12:39 AM #14
      whats that blue car in the back???
      AJ
      Instagram: aj_p

15. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      02-05-2009 12:58 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by f_399 »

mkiv r32 w/ bbs ch?

16. 02-05-2009 01:00 AM #16
      Quote, originally posted by f_399 »

With the CH's?

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI(SOLD), 2010 Passat Wagon, 2012 Jetta GLI(SOLD), 2011 CC R Line
      02-05-2009 01:02 AM #17
      yeah looks good even from just that small preview

anyway back on topic, my bad

AJ
      Instagram: aj_p

18. 02-05-2009 06:05 AM #18
      what do you guys mean by leveled? like the car has to be on a lift or on 4 jack stands? also how does the fluid go in if you do it one quart at a time with the other hose?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      02-05-2009 07:17 AM #19
      Normally the fluid is gravity fed (think of an IV setup as seen in Hospitals).
      The pump in this write-up is pricey, so I went to Murray's Auto and purchased a $6.50 Valvoline hand pump.
      The threads on this pump don't work on the DSG bottles, but it doesn't matter.
      There is an extension tube on the Valvoline pump that can be trimmed for length. Just attach it to the pump, trim the length until the top of the pump touches the top of the bottle, and hold it in place with one hand, and pump with the other.
      Rain Closing Windows, goF raeR, Aspherical Mirrors, Remote Windows, Amber Club

20. 02-05-2009 01:35 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »
      Normally the fluid is gravity fed (think of an IV setup as seen in Hospitals).
      The pump in this write-up is pricey, so I went to Murray's Auto and purchased a $6.50 Valvoline hand pump.
      The threads on this pump don't work on the DSG bottles, but it doesn't matter.
      There is an extension tube on the Valvoline pump that can be trimmed for length. Just attach it to the pump, trim the length until the top of the pump touches the top of the bottle, and hold it in place with one hand, and pump with the other.

Is this like a gear lube pump for filling differentials?

I bought the ATF 106 adapter and was thinking about using a bug sprayer to pump in the fluid, but I guess a gear lube pump would work well.

21. 02-05-2009 02:37 PM #21
      so you are letting the car run after removing the adapter(while letting the excess to drain?

22. 02-05-2009 06:34 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by nickg »
      so you are letting the car run after removing the adapter(while letting the excess to drain?

Looks that way. I'm going to bust it out this weekend.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      02-05-2009 07:46 PM #23
      NO!
      You let the excess drain until it stops. Then you put on the cap (plug) screw. After that you start it and let it warm up to do the Transmission reset via VAG-COM.

24. 02-05-2009 08:03 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »
      NO!
      You let the excess drain until it stops. Then you put on the cap (plug) screw. After that you start it and let it warm up to do the Transmission reset via VAG-COM.

Actually, from "Procedure for changing DSG transmission Fluid" in the MKV FAQ:
      -Reinstall overflow tube, 3 Nm
      -Install adapter - A - from VAS 6262 hand-tight in inspection hole
      -Shake oil containers before opening fill 5.5 liter DSG oil
      To change bottles, shut-off valve can be closed or oil filler adapter VAS 6262 can be held higher than transmission
      -Move through VAS 5051 until DSG oil temperature is displayed or
      Vag-Com Select 02 Auto Trans go to Meas.Blocks-08 grup 019 and then GO.
      -Now start engine
      -Press brake and shift into each selector lever position for approx. 3 seconds. Place lever in position P again
      Do not switch off engine!
      -Wait till DSG oil temperature riches between 35 ° to 45 ° Celsius
      -Disconnect quick-release coupling of adapter for oil filling VAS 6262 with engine running
      -Let excess oil drain
      -As soon as the oil has run out (it begins to drip), remove adapter for oil filling VAS 6262 and install bolt with new seal
      -Tightening torque: 45 Nm
      -Turn off engine

Modified by imhondude at 7:27 PM 2-5-2009

25. 02-05-2009 09:05 PM #25
      the pump he is using looks to be the better route

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      02-06-2009 03:49 AM #26
      My bad...
      (memory loss)
      From the Bentley...

At a transmission oil temperature of 35 ° C to 45 ° C:
      With engine running, disconnect quick-acting coupling of adapter for oil filling VAS 6262 .
      Let excess oil drain.
      Note:
      Every 30 seconds, a small wave of fluid exits the overflow tube, independent of the height of the transmission oil level (Reason: Cool oil impulse to clutch). This wave is not criteria indicating an excessive transmission oil level and must therefore not be considered when determining the transmission oil level.

As soon as oil flows out (it begins to drip), unscrew adapter for oil filling VAS 6262 and install check plug - B - with new seal.
      Tightening torque: 45 Nm
      Turn engine off.
      This concludes the transmission oil and filter change.
      Oil level in transmission is correctly adjusted.

From the DIY that I used (WJDELL)

Start the Engine

Start the VAG-COM software. Click the "Select Control Module" button.
      In the Common tab of Select Control Module screen, select 02 - Auto Trans.

Select Measurement Blocks. select (or type) group 019. Watch the ATF (Auto Trans Fluid) Temperature field.

While you wait for the ATF Temprature to rise, sit at the Driver's seat. Press the Brake Pedal.
      While holding the Brake Pedal depressed. Shift into each selector lever position and hold it for about 3 secondss. After all positions were shifted into, return the lever into Park position

When (and only then) the ATF temperature is in the range of 35 to 45 Celsius (95F - 113F) range, slide back under the car and disconnect the quick-release coupling of the VAS6262 adapter. At this point all the excess oil will start to drain. We estimate that about 1/2 to 3/4 liters of excess oile should drain.

! should exces drain be higher than normal (1 liter or more), shut the engine off immediately and seek the help of a professional.

As soon as the excess oil starts to drip, meaning that it has run off, remove the VAS6262 adapter.

Install new metal seal in the drain bolt and instal. Tighten to 45nm

Turn the engine off

Reinstall skid plate

Perform a test drive to ensure that all is in good working order.*

* see the Ross-Tech Wiki for the DSG/02E Basic setting.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/inde...2E%29

Modified by Tim Birney at 2:54 AM 2-6-2009

27. 02-06-2009 05:01 AM #27
      seems no different from any mk4+ auto trans. ive done the auto trans on my vr6 mk4 i had before the gti. its actually a really simple operation.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI
      02-06-2009 01:22 PM #28
      This is a great write up...I had been thinking about just paying the dealer to do it, but this gives me confidence to try it myself. Thanks