Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What can cause Rev hang???

Vehicles
      '05 Bagged GLI
      08-24-2008 05:48 PM #1
      A couple of weeks i was driving went out to do some errands and i did a lot of city driving. Leaving one of the stores the RPMs started hanging when i shifted.

RPMs are suppose to drop as soon as i press the clutch, but they werent, they stayed up for a second longer. And is not like i was pressing the gas obviously, i'm shifting.

the clutch still felt fine, is not slipping or anything.

so what could it be??

thanx in advance for any help.

-Santi

Car in question

Air by Santi | 561-723-9020 | AirbySanti@Yahoo.com | "It's an up & down kind of business"
      Airlift | AccuAir | Viair | HornBlaster | AirRideTech | Universal Air | SMC | Slam Specialties | ASCO | and many others...
      www.facebook.com/AirBySanti | www.Flickr.com/VWSanti

2. 08-24-2008 05:51 PM #2
      Sometimes when im driving (i've only done this a number of times) ive been moving at say 40mph or whatever, and i shift into neutral and rev. it usually takes longer to settle back down to around 800 or so. Thats what i've noticed, sorry i cant help you tho.

Vehicles
      01 gti vr6(RIP) mk3 vr6 coupe
      08-24-2008 06:13 PM #3
      try cleaning the throttle body.
      All mk4s smell a bit like crayons/candles. All mk3s smell like hot plastic and crayons. All mk2s smell like water damage, and all mk1s smell like mold and electrical fires.
      It's a VW thing.

4. 08-24-2008 06:23 PM #4
      yo santi i have the same issue man, its wierd. i aligned the throttle body with vag com and cleaned it and it did me no good. changed the clutch pedal switch too. sucks, its an annoyance

5. 08-24-2008 06:25 PM #5
      I get this too sometimes. Sometimes mine continues to rev another 100 rpms after I let off and switch gears. It sounds stupid withan exhaust

Vehicles
      '05 Bagged GLI
      08-24-2008 06:36 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by vrisk »
      try cleaning the throttle body.

someone else told me to do this. I'm gonna try and do that later on today or tomorrow.

Quote, originally posted by Vanilla Ice »
      yo santi i have the same issue man, its wierd. i aligned the throttle body with vag com and cleaned it and it did me no good. changed the clutch pedal switch too. sucks, its an annoyance

yeah it is, it was such a sudden problem i was like WTF.

Air by Santi | 561-723-9020 | AirbySanti@Yahoo.com | "It's an up & down kind of business"
      Airlift | AccuAir | Viair | HornBlaster | AirRideTech | Universal Air | SMC | Slam Specialties | ASCO | and many others...

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6 12v, '83 caddy, presently '95 Golf
      08-24-2008 06:41 PM #7
      try adjusting your clutch pedal sensor. you can take it out and adjust the "plunger" in or out. this will vary when the clutch is disengaged. I took it out once and played around with it and the further in that "plunger" is the quicker it would disengage the clutch and rev a little higher and hang like the symptoms you described.

"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity." - Dave Barry

8. 08-24-2008 06:45 PM #8
      so your saying push the plunger in as far as it will go and it will fix the problem?

9. 08-24-2008 07:02 PM #9
      Can't say I ever had this problem with my VR, but I did with my VRSC b/c I was running a little rich with GIAC chip I had on it. The problem went away when I had it dyno tuned.

Are you chipped? Check for small vaccum leaks b/c they can slow your throttle response. Check your dv's diaphragm and make sure it isn't sticking open. If it is a clutch problem, it will most likely get worse over time and the RPM hang will start to become more "dramatic" so to speak.

Check your clutch switch as well. Try to start the car without depressing the clutch. If it starts, your clutch switch is done for. If it doesn't, it's still good.

Vehicles
      '01 VW , '12 S4
      08-24-2008 07:05 PM #10
      maybe its software?.... i dunno... im having the problem with my car every now and then, cept mine will float around at like 2k and wont drop, i'll have to shut the car off let it sit for a min or two and then it'll go back to normal
      IG @mr_tan

Vehicles
      02 jetta 01 jetta wagon VR6
      08-24-2008 07:13 PM #11
      I had this issue, found out my lower PCV hose was torn. replaced and now the rpms dont hang anymore.

basically it could be a small vacuum leak somewhere

slumz of worcester

dub militia

Vehicles
      '05 Bagged GLI
      08-24-2008 07:16 PM #12
      Checked for leaks and have no problems, it was a very sudden problem.

I doubt its my clutch since it hasnt gotten worse, and the clutch still feels fine.

I'm gonna check that "plunger" thing and see if that has anythign to do with it.

13. 08-24-2008 07:24 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by vdubn5 »
      maybe its software?.... i dunno... im having the problem with my car every now and then, cept mine will float around at like 2k and wont drop, i'll have to shut the car off let it sit for a min or two and then it'll go back to normal

It could definitely be part of it. You've gotta remember when using a plug-in software, the ECU is remapped for how your car "should" run. No matter what, ALL cars are different in the aspect of what condition they are in. When a company make a chip tuning for a car, they choose the best running candidate for it. They use this mapping for all of the cars that choose to run their software(unless you specify a custom tune which is available with some companies). If a part on your car is worn or loose in some way, it may cause the car to recalibrate tuning within reason to "adapt" to the conditions. Every car with fuel injection will do this in different climate changes(Unless on SEM). It is what the smart computer is for.

Depending on how reliable the company is that he went with for the tuning, it is highly unlikely it is just the tuning on this guy's car. If he is even chipped. From the looks of his car, and I am just making an assumption, I doubt he would go cheap on a ****ty tuning. So this suggests he went with a big brand name like APR or GIAC or Revo, etc.... There is definitely something else wrong with his car. The tuning may be a SUPPORTING factor, but I doubt it is just the tune.

PO, tell us a little more about your car's setup, if it has any performance mods. Also, how many miles are on your engine and clutch.

-Brandon

Modified by Brandon12V at 3:27 PM 8-24-2008

14. 08-24-2008 07:34 PM #14
      I'm no engineer, but I would say it's caused by lack of mirrors.

15. 08-24-2008 08:35 PM #15
      i had a similar problem and it was my maf sensor that was no good changed that and now its fine. my friends r32 had the saem problem and a new maf fixed it too.

Vehicles
      '05 Bagged GLI
      08-25-2008 01:00 AM #16
      ^^I've changed my MAF sensor 3x due to dirt and other various things, and the car never had rev hang, just a little misfire here and there. Car runs rich to me but runs strong.

Quote, originally posted by Brandon12V »

PO, tell us a little more about your car's setup, if it has any performance mods. Also, how many miles are on your engine and clutch.

-Brandon

I got APR Chip, Modified Stock air box, forge UNOS MBC, Race N75, Stock downpipe, Eurojet Turbo inlet pipe, Forge 5 piece boost hhoses, Forge 007 DV, 4-bar fuel pressure regulator. I think thats it.

Car has 86k on the motor and tranny. synthetic oil every 4k, timing belt w/ metal water pump done @ 55-60k (dont remember exactly).

Car has never been to the dealer once, except for a recall on brake light switch and when i bought it. I've maintained it well, and i'm gonna change my clutch and flywheel soon. but i never had any problems what so ever, so i'm thinking its gonna be something small, because other than the Rev hang i have no issues. A/C blows cold, car rides smooth.

Quote, originally posted by craig40v »

damn, duh.. how didnt i think of that.

17. 08-25-2008 01:20 AM #17
      i know this is outside of the thread direction, i wouldnt run a chip with the stock downpipe.

18. 08-25-2008 01:59 AM #18
      If the problem gets worse when you put the heater on, it is most likely a vacuum leak. Are you pulling any codes?

19. 08-25-2008 10:46 AM #19
      hmm come to think of it my car gets worse when the a/c is on. must be a vac leak somewhere

Vehicles
      98 GLX
      08-25-2008 11:53 AM #20
      struggled w/ this problem for awhile as well, it started doing it after i got a APR 93 flash.

i found someone local with a vagcom, did a throttle body alignment, and cleaned up the throttle body and haven't had a problem since then

21. 08-25-2008 12:03 PM #21
      mine does this too right after i got apr 91,

changed all hydraulics for the clutch... nothing

someone mentioned the clutch pedal sensor... how would this make a difference?

WINNING.

Vehicles
      '05 Bagged GLI
      08-25-2008 01:09 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by KRUNK FU GLI »
      i know this is outside of the thread direction, i wouldnt run a chip with the stock downpipe.

i have a #" GHL downpipe, i jsut havent had the chance to put it on cus i'm doing a 'custom' cat back.

Quote, originally posted by Brandon12V »
      If the problem gets worse when you put the heater on, it is most likely a vacuum leak. Are you pulling any codes?

w/ the heater on??? never tried that. i'll check. but w/ the a/c on it doesnt.

And no i havent checked for codes yet. I gotta have my friend check on wednesday.

23. 08-25-2008 01:18 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by craig40v »

LOL

"Just ignore the smoke and smile..." - MJK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/r-k-f/

24. 08-25-2008 01:27 PM #24
      This is probably a shot in the dark, but when I had a loose ground (under the CAI to the right of my battery) it caused a plethora of issues, one of which being rev hang. But since you don't seem to have any other issues, its a shot in the dark like I said.

08-25-2008 02:10 PM #25
      i think its cause you're driving

26. 08-25-2008 02:11 PM #26
      check the clutch pedal switch under the dash