Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers

1. Member
      05-08-2012 10:29 PM #351
      One obstacle to combining future characters in the Marvel Universe: Chris Evans

Having read a lot of comics when I was younger, including the Infinity Gauntlet saga (greatest Marvel character gathering I can think of), I don't ever remember the Human Torch and Captain America ever being in the same place at the same time.

It poses an interesting question where these movies may be concerned...

Vehicles
      '09 E90 M3
      05-08-2012 10:34 PM #352
      Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo.T View Post
      Ironically, you singled out two movies that were actually shot in 3D and will not be done in post, like the Avengers. So yes, those two will look great in 3D because it was shot that way.
      I know they were shot in 3D natively (and directed by two great artists), thus my comment.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-08-2012 10:42 PM #353
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6 View Post
      I do not think he really cares how you spend your money but how much it cost to go see it one time compared to owning it in a few months.

$18.50 is something i would expect to pay for a concert of a few somewhat popular bands playing at a county fair or small concert hall.

I really wanted to see this in IMAX 2D. I can't handle the 3D stuff and from reading this thread apparently i am not the only one
      My point was if you don't want to spend $18.50 then don't. I wanted to spend that much so I did. And it was worth it.

If it was any other movie I definitely would not spend that much, never.
      OTC

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
      05-08-2012 11:16 PM #354
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      While we're talking reboots, I want X-Men rebooted with a properly done Phoenix and motherf-in' Apocalypse.
      x100.

05-08-2012 11:59 PM #355
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      bend over and take it up the tailpipe. In 3.5 months, you can OWN the movie for that much. S**t on a shingle, no wonder the opening was almost as huge as Octomom's*. I'm paring my movies down because spending $30, $40, $50 for a movie is not worth it. I might as well go to a dinner & movie joint.
      $5 Tuesdays at my local Cinnebarre... and I get to drink beer.

Be jealous.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 12:00 AM #356
      Quote Originally Posted by SOAR View Post

Be jealous.
      ...NY
      OTC

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      05-09-2012 12:05 AM #357
      Paid 8 to see it in 3D at my local movie theater. A medium pepsi and bunch a crunch cost 7.

$15 bucks to enjoy a movie, can't complain.

8. 05-09-2012 12:16 AM #358
      our theaters were bought out by AMC

$10 a seat on a sunday afternoon
      pop and popcorn (split with the wife since it is so f'n huge) was $11

Still cheaper than when we go out to eat or get drinks

I think our IMAX 3D price is over $15/seat
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Vehicles
      2009 Wrong Wheel Drive Crapalier
      05-09-2012 09:19 AM #359
      When I was in College I use to go to a theater that cost 5 bucks to get into, and the beers cost 50 cents a glass (Icehouse). It was only open for 9 months though..... I wonder why.....
      F1
      RED BULL Racing Formula One
      Final Gear

"Here's a couple things America got right; cars and freedom"

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      05-09-2012 10:48 AM #360
      Quote Originally Posted by Crash6 View Post
      One obstacle to combining future characters in the Marvel Universe: Chris Evans

Having read a lot of comics when I was younger, including the Infinity Gauntlet saga (greatest Marvel character gathering I can think of), I don't ever remember the Human Torch and Captain America ever being in the same place at the same time.

It poses an interesting question where these movies may be concerned...
      I think the Powers That Be were hoping people forgot about that fact. Evans is a surprisingly good actor (his performance in Sunshine was incredible) and has stepped up to the Captain's shield pretty well. I can't really see them turning him (back) into HT; it's going to be a "let's forget we ever made that movie" kind of thing.
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      05-09-2012 12:45 PM #361
      Quote Originally Posted by demonmk2 View Post
      I'm gonna take a wild gander and say superman will be revealed (trailer wise) to get everyone on the DC band wagon when the TDKR comes out.

I think as far as revenue...Prometheus will top them both this year.
      Quote Originally Posted by Angina View Post
      Prometheus will beat the Avengers? hahaha. please. it'll be an amazing movie, but no way it'll even me close at the box office
      now, I'm not talk'n about opening weekend... but while it's out on the big screen overall.
      Off topic, but I don't see how anyone can think Prometheus is going to out-earn Avengers or TDKR.

Go ask 100 people on the street if they are looking forward to seeing Prometheus and I bet 90% of them haven't even heard of it. Outside of hardcore sci-fi and film buffs this movie is invisible.

A bit back on topic... Nolan's Batman movies are dark—dark enough that I haven't let my 9 year old see them and I won't any time soon.

Spiderman and the Avengers (including the single hero movies) are MUCH more family friendly, the violence is more "cartoonish," they are much jokier, and the themes are generally brighter.

I LOVE Nolan's vision for Batman, I really do, but that's some dark, angry, emo **** he's got going on. It makes big bucks adn will give The Avengers movie a serious run for it's money box office-wise, but that audience skews MUCH older.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food."
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      05-09-2012 01:27 PM #362

Be jealous.
      <--- Check location there, Scout. I could go to Cinnebarre, iPic, etc., too.

Speaking of... When Skyfall comes out, I'm going to one of those places. In a tux. Bond-up, people!
      ITT: People who ask for advice and completely ignore it.
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

05-09-2012 01:35 PM #363
      Yeah, Prometheus may very well be the best film this summer, but it won't be the biggest earner. Not even the 2nd biggest. I'm sure it will do well though.

However I can't see TDKR beating the Avengers. It just looks like another Batman Begins to me. Bane, IMO, was a poor choice for a villain, and pretty much everyone I know who isn't into comic books asks me "who is the guy with the muzzle?". Heath/The Joker were such a pivotal part to that movies success, and I can't see Bane replicating that.

I'm sure it will be good, but compared to TDK, people aren't nearly as hyped about it. Plus, this is Marvel vs. DC... and we all know who always comes out ahead in that battle.

Speaking of... When Skyfall comes out, I'm going to one of those places. In a tux. Bond-up, people!
      Not sure if they serve martini's at Cinnebarre though.
      Last edited by SOAR; 05-09-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      05-09-2012 01:46 PM #364
      I'm gonna take a wild gander and say superman will be revealed (trailer wise) to get everyone on the DC band wagon when the TDKR comes out.

I think as far as revenue...Prometheus will top them both this year.
      Nope. Prometheus is rated R, which severely limits revenue. Add to that the lack of Weaver, there's no "oh, she's in it, might as well go."

Quote Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
      Box office wise, nothing will top The Avengers. TDKR is not being released in 3D
      While I'm hoping TDKR beats The Avengers, I think it will be really close. While TDKR isn't 3D (hallelujah!), there is a lot of IMAX footage, AND it's the conclusion. Everyone will want to see how it ends up.

I'm saddened to believe the true box office champ for this year will be that sh**y emo franchise that finally concludes this November. Will 2 months be enough to rake in the dough? Battleship is the next John Carter, followed by a host of action "bombs": GI Joe, Total Recall, Expendables 2, Red Dawn, etc.
      ITT: People who ask for advice and completely ignore it.
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 02:11 PM #365
      Nope. Prometheus is rated R, which severely limits revenue. Add to that the lack of Weaver, there's no "oh, she's in it, might as well go."

While I'm hoping TDKR beats The Avengers, I think it will be really close. While TDKR isn't 3D (hallelujah!), there is a lot of IMAX footage, AND it's the conclusion. Everyone will want to see how it ends up.

I'm saddened to believe the true box office champ for this year will be that sh**y emo franchise that finally concludes this November. Will 2 months be enough to rake in the dough? Battleship is the next John Carter, followed by a host of action "bombs": GI Joe, Total Recall, Expendables 2, Red Dawn, etc.
      Why do are you hoping that TDKR beats the Avengers? The Avengers is a phenomenal movie. Apart from an above average film in TDK I can't see why anyone would hope to see one movie best another without actually seeing it.

Fanboys...
      OTC

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      05-09-2012 03:06 PM #366
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      Why do are you hoping that TDKR beats the Avengers? The Avengers is a phenomenal movie. Apart from an above average film in TDK I can't see why anyone would hope to see one movie best another without actually seeing it.

Fanboys...
      ive said it once and i'll say it again, Dark Knight Returns was overrated. Good movie, but way overrated. Batman Begins was better IMHO

Avengers is simply how I imagined and hoped it would be when I was younger reading the comics and hoping it would be a movie.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 03:09 PM #367
      ive said it once and i'll say it again, Dark Knight Returns was overrated. Good movie, but way overrated. Batman Begins was better IMHO

Avengers is simply how I imagined and hoped it would be when I was younger reading the comics and hoping it would be a movie.
      THANK YOU! Finally someone who agrees with my that TDK was overrated. I say it all the time, if it wasn't for Heath Ledger dropping dead that movie wouldn't have half the acclaim it has. Sure the movie was good; maybe even very good. But it's not the end-all-be-all of superhero flicks that the Nolan fanboys make it out to be.
      OTC

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 03:09 PM #368
      I think the Powers That Be were hoping people forgot about that fact. Evans is a surprisingly good actor (his performance in Sunshine was incredible) and has stepped up to the Captain's shield pretty well. I can't really see them turning him (back) into HT; it's going to be a "let's forget we ever made that movie" kind of thing.
      if they ever making another Fantastic 4 movie, they're going to reboot the characters. And please make Thing CGI. that costume that Chikliss wore was horrendous. The only bright spot in that movie was actually Chris Evans. and then they had to go make Galactus a storm cloud. wtf.

disney really should spend all the money they can to get movie rights to the major marvel characters. they can get back to becoming the box office juggarnaut they once were when they made good animated movies (aside from Pixar).

19. 05-09-2012 03:31 PM #369
      ...NY

$7 tuesdays at the National Amusement City center in White Plains. NY, $9 for IMAX 3D. There's another one in the Bronx, same deal. There has to be something similar out in Long Island

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      05-09-2012 03:32 PM #370
      if they ever making another Fantastic 4 movie, they're going to reboot the characters. And please make Thing CGI. that costume that Chikliss wore was horrendous. The only bright spot in that movie was actually Chris Evans. and then they had to go make Galactus a storm cloud. wtf.
      Ha, I had forgotten about that. I thought they'd have him coming out of the cloud when I saw it but...no. Didn't they make Abmination a storm cloud in Ang Lee's Hulk, too?
      Esi ϟ Disi

21. 05-09-2012 03:42 PM #371
      THANK YOU! Finally someone who agrees with my that TDK was overrated. I say it all the time, if it wasn't for Heath Ledger dropping dead that movie wouldn't have half the acclaim it has. Sure the movie was good; maybe even very good. But it's not the end-all-be-all of superhero flicks that the Nolan fanboys make it out to be.
      I wouldn't say TDK was overrated i thought it was a pretty good movie

However, back when the 6 minute prologue was in theaters with MI4 - i watched both BB and TDK back to back. I will agree that Batman Begins was the better of the two
      Boiler Up!

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 03:43 PM #372
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      $7 tuesdays at the National Amusement City center in White Plains. NY, $9 for IMAX 3D. There's another one in the Bronx, same deal. There has to be something similar out in Long Island
      Nassau County? Hahaha not a chance.
      OTC

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 04:10 PM #373
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6 View Post
      I wouldn't say TDK was overrated i thought it was a pretty good movie

However, back when the 6 minute prologue was in theaters with MI4 - i watched both BB and TDK back to back. I will agree that Batman Begins was the better of the two
      overrated in terms of the amount of critical acclaim it received. people were talking oscars back when it came out. give me a break.

yes it was a great movie, and Nolan definitely helped define the superhero genre. But it isn't the end-all-be-all movie.

i just had goosebumps the entire ride during Avengers. TDK made me yawn a bit.

05-09-2012 04:21 PM #374
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Didn't they make Abmination a storm cloud in Ang Lee's Hulk, too?
      You talking about his dad? When he basically turned into pure electricity? Pretty sure that was supposed to be Zzzax. Abomination is the enemy in the second movie.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-09-2012 05:15 PM #375
      Ang Lee's Hulk never happened
      OTC

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      05-09-2012 06:20 PM #376
      I never saw the Hulk. Honestly I couldn't get into the character and never had a desire to watch either movie version. Now, if they do one with Ruffalo as Banner, I'd probably see it. This is the first time I ever actually liked Hulk.
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

05-09-2012 06:32 PM #377
      Ruffalo
      He's an awesome hulk... and IMO, one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood.

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 07:15 PM #378
      I never saw the Hulk. Honestly I couldn't get into the character and never had a desire to watch either movie version. Now, if they do one with Ruffalo as Banner, I'd probably see it. This is the first time I ever actually liked Hulk.
      this

29. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-09-2012 09:02 PM #379
      Previews were great...Spiderman, Prometheus, & Batman...can't wait.

Movie was fantastic. A few things bugged me but nothing significant.

Really good action and Downey/Iron Man/Hulk owned the screen.

30. 05-09-2012 09:43 PM #380
      I really liked the Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton. But this new Hulk will work just fine
      Boiler Up!

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      05-09-2012 11:00 PM #381
      I saw it in Imax 3D at midnight. It was pretty good, the 3D was not worth the $18.50 for a ticket.
      I agree. Saw it in non-IMAX large screen 3D, and while it was decent, it really didn't add much to the movie. Some scenes were good, most action scenes were choppy, IMO.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      05-09-2012 11:17 PM #382
      He's an awesome hulk... and IMO, one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood.
      He reminded me of Vincent D'Onofrio for some reason.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-10-2012 12:47 PM #383
      Saw this Tuesday night. Our theater just opened up a renovated "AVX" screen, with assigned seating, reclining seats with space between them, and better picture and sound. Other chains offer the same thing with a different name. I was apprehensive about seeing the movie in this theater because of the 3D, which usually gives me terrible eye strain, a headache, or puts me to sleep. Perhaps thanks to the extra sharp, high quality projection, I had no issues.

It was $10.99 a seat for Tuesday... regularly $15.50. To me, The Avengers was such a good movie that it would have been worth every penny of the $31.00 full price for my wife and I. The pacing was perfect. Even the otherwise 'slow' parts on the ship were kept interesting. The Joss Whedon humor really shined through. The characters were exactly as they should be, and notably I absolutely agree that this was the best portrayal of Banner/Hulk that there has been. For the first time, Banner himself was actually interesting.

I expected the movie to be "good," or even "great," but I have to say it was "excellent." There's very few movies that I would gladly pay full price to see a second time in the theater, and this is one of them.

As much as I've loved Nolan's films going back to Memento, it's going to be very hard for TDKR to be a "better" movie than this, much less sell more tickets. Not that I don't look forward to seeing the attempt

One thing I will say is that Joss Whedon needs to direct/write ALL THE THINGS!! His touch really shined through, and I don't think anyone could have done The Avengers better.

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      05-10-2012 08:44 PM #384
      Really loved the way Banner & Stark played off each other. Capt America giving orders was cool. The Hulk was awesome. Stark's one liners and wise-cracks were right on. RDJr is absolutely the best man for that job.

I never saw the first 'new' Hulk movie(with Ed Norton?) but heard it wasn't good. The guy playing Banner now in great. Lou Ferigno doing Hulk's voice is great. Great movie.

Great
      great
      great

My wife is a "DC Girl" and grudgingly goes with me to see the Marvel movies. I like Batman, but don't know that I'd say the recent Batman movies have been as good as the recent Marvel movies.
      Last edited by SidVicious; 05-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 10:09 PM #385
      Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
      Really loved the way Banner & Stark played off each other. Capt America giving orders was cool. The Hulk was awesome. Stark's one liners and wise-cracks were right on. RDJr is absolutely the best man for that job.

I never saw the first 'new' Hulk movie(with Ed Norton?) but heard it wasn't good. The guy playing Banner now in great. Lou Ferigno doing Hulk's voice is great. Great movie.

Great
      great
      great

My wife is a "DC Girl" and grudgingly goes with me to see the Marvel movies. I like Batman, but don't know that I'd say the recent Batman movies have been as good as the recent Marvel movies.
      i enjoyed the 'new' hulk movie. i just like the hulk in this one even better...

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast