Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      05-09-2012 06:20 PM #376
      I never saw the Hulk. Honestly I couldn't get into the character and never had a desire to watch either movie version. Now, if they do one with Ruffalo as Banner, I'd probably see it. This is the first time I ever actually liked Hulk.
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

Vehicles
      '86 Scirocco, '07 Rabbit, '09 MINI JCW
      05-09-2012 06:32 PM #377
      Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo.T View Post
      Ruffalo
      He's an awesome hulk... and IMO, one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      05-09-2012 07:15 PM #378
      I never saw the Hulk. Honestly I couldn't get into the character and never had a desire to watch either movie version. Now, if they do one with Ruffalo as Banner, I'd probably see it. This is the first time I ever actually liked Hulk.
      this

4. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-09-2012 09:02 PM #379
      Previews were great...Spiderman, Prometheus, & Batman...can't wait.

Movie was fantastic. A few things bugged me but nothing significant.

Really good action and Downey/Iron Man/Hulk owned the screen.

5. 05-09-2012 09:43 PM #380
      I really liked the Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton. But this new Hulk will work just fine
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      05-09-2012 11:00 PM #381
      Quote Originally Posted by Run L1ke H3LL View Post
      I saw it in Imax 3D at midnight. It was pretty good, the 3D was not worth the $18.50 for a ticket.
      I agree. Saw it in non-IMAX large screen 3D, and while it was decent, it really didn't add much to the movie. Some scenes were good, most action scenes were choppy, IMO.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      05-09-2012 11:17 PM #382
      Quote Originally Posted by SOAR View Post
      He's an awesome hulk... and IMO, one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood.
      He reminded me of Vincent D'Onofrio for some reason.
      Everybody's dying, bitch; let's get you some fruit.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-10-2012 12:47 PM #383
      Saw this Tuesday night. Our theater just opened up a renovated "AVX" screen, with assigned seating, reclining seats with space between them, and better picture and sound. Other chains offer the same thing with a different name. I was apprehensive about seeing the movie in this theater because of the 3D, which usually gives me terrible eye strain, a headache, or puts me to sleep. Perhaps thanks to the extra sharp, high quality projection, I had no issues.

It was $10.99 a seat for Tuesday... regularly $15.50. To me, The Avengers was such a good movie that it would have been worth every penny of the $31.00 full price for my wife and I. The pacing was perfect. Even the otherwise 'slow' parts on the ship were kept interesting. The Joss Whedon humor really shined through. The characters were exactly as they should be, and notably I absolutely agree that this was the best portrayal of Banner/Hulk that there has been. For the first time, Banner himself was actually interesting.

I expected the movie to be "good," or even "great," but I have to say it was "excellent." There's very few movies that I would gladly pay full price to see a second time in the theater, and this is one of them.

As much as I've loved Nolan's films going back to Memento, it's going to be very hard for TDKR to be a "better" movie than this, much less sell more tickets. Not that I don't look forward to seeing the attempt

One thing I will say is that Joss Whedon needs to direct/write ALL THE THINGS!! His touch really shined through, and I don't think anyone could have done The Avengers better.

Vehicles
      05Cav, 09 Escape Hybrid, one crazy Bobber
      05-10-2012 08:44 PM #384
      Really loved the way Banner & Stark played off each other. Capt America giving orders was cool. The Hulk was awesome. Stark's one liners and wise-cracks were right on. RDJr is absolutely the best man for that job.

I never saw the first 'new' Hulk movie(with Ed Norton?) but heard it wasn't good. The guy playing Banner now in great. Lou Ferigno doing Hulk's voice is great. Great movie.

Great
      great
      great

My wife is a "DC Girl" and grudgingly goes with me to see the Marvel movies. I like Batman, but don't know that I'd say the recent Batman movies have been as good as the recent Marvel movies.
      Last edited by SidVicious; 05-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 10:09 PM #385
      Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
      Really loved the way Banner & Stark played off each other. Capt America giving orders was cool. The Hulk was awesome. Stark's one liners and wise-cracks were right on. RDJr is absolutely the best man for that job.

I never saw the first 'new' Hulk movie(with Ed Norton?) but heard it wasn't good. The guy playing Banner now in great. Lou Ferigno doing Hulk's voice is great. Great movie.

Great
      great
      great

My wife is a "DC Girl" and grudgingly goes with me to see the Marvel movies. I like Batman, but don't know that I'd say the recent Batman movies have been as good as the recent Marvel movies.
      i enjoyed the 'new' hulk movie. i just like the hulk in this one even better...

Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      05-10-2012 10:12 PM #386
      Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
      You mean the most recent Batman as in the Nolan Batmans? Whole nother league IMO. Marvel movies follow a fun formula and are entertaining, but can't be considered good films.

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-10-2012 10:16 PM #387
      Quote Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
      You mean the most recent Batman as in the Nolan Batmans? Whole nother league IMO. Marvel movies follow a fun formula and are entertaining, but can't be considered good films.
      Are you trying to say the Avengers movie was not a "good film"
      What are you smoking?
      OTC

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      05-10-2012 10:18 PM #388
      Marvel movies follow a fun formula and are entertaining, but can't be considered good films.
      You have seen this movie, right?
      Everybody's dying, bitch; let's get you some fruit.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 10:43 PM #389
      i hate batman fanbois.

just because a movie isn't "dark" doesn't mean its not good.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 11:00 PM #390
      Whoah hey now. I didn't say Avengers wasn't fun. It was the same glitzy $150M+ special effects extravaganza as most Marvel films, which I enjoy. Did I recommend it to my friends? Yes. But if follows the same basic formula: make it look good, throw in some amazing CGI, a few well timed one liners, a generic army attacks earth . . .

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-10-2012 11:26 PM #391
      Whoah hey now. I didn't say Avengers wasn't fun. It was the same glitzy $150M+ special effects extravaganza as most Marvel films, which I enjoy. Did I recommend it to my friends? Yes. But if follows the same basic formula: make it look good, throw in some amazing CGI, a few well timed one liners, a generic army attacks earth . . .
      Ladies and gentlemen I present to you: a Nolan nutswinger.

Dude seriously, the Avengers was so much better than any Nolan Batman movie out there stop being so prejudiced.
      OTC

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 12:16 AM #392
      But if follows the same basic formula: make it look good, throw in some amazing CGI, a few well timed one liners, a generic army attacks earth . . .
      Because there is no rinse and repeat formula with Nolan's Batman movies, right? Make it look dark, throw in some explosions, put gotham citizens and someone bruce cares about in a situation where he can only save one, add a generic homicidal maniac that only cares about making batman suffer. . .

All I will say is that Avengers exceeded every expectation I had, and I had high expectations with Joss at the helm.
      Last edited by SOAR; 05-11-2012 at 01:51 AM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Dodge Dakota
      05-11-2012 01:07 AM #393
      I don't think that's what he's saying. With "Superman: The Movie" the supposed watchword for Donner was verisimilitude. They wanted to keep the feel of the comic, but present the action as realistically as possible. I think Nolan is simply taking the same tack - and that's a completely different philosophy than the one Marvel is taking with their films, which are four-color comics come to life. In fact, most of their disputes with their creative people like Edward Norton and Jon Favreau on the films has been because they want to take the material more seriously than Marvel would like.

Yes, digging too deep can cause you to wind up with Ang Lee's "Hulk." But taking things too lightly can get you "Spider-Man 3: Dance, Webhead, Dance!"
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 01:50 AM #394
      Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
      I think Nolan is simply taking the same tack - and that's a completely different philosophy than the one Marvel is taking with their films, which are four-color comics come to life.
      People give Nolan way to much credit for the "feel of the movies". The tone of his movies are identical to the comics. He didn't create that, he just copied the feel of TDK comics. Give the credit to Frank Miller, because this next movie is just a rehash of Franks comic book of the same name that he wrote back in the 80's. Nolan just swapped out the Joker/mutants for Bane. He even admitted it.

20. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-11-2012 08:45 AM #395
      I view the Nolan Batmans in a different way compared to the Marvel movies.

Overall they all have entertained, just in slightly different ways.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-11-2012 09:24 AM #396
      Nolan's Batman movies and the current Marvel movie universe have definitely taken two different directions off of the source material. I think Nolan's trying really hard to make a good movie that's true to the comic book. The Marvel movies, and The Avengers particularly, have been tries at making a comic book movie that is also good.

It's a nuanced distinction. Both approaches have delivered some great movies. I just think Whedon hit one out of the park on this one, and it will be hard to top in terms of success at achieving what was set out to achieve.

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 09:24 AM #397

Dude seriously, the Avengers was so much better than any Nolan Batman movie out there stop being so prejudiced.
      Yes because Joss Whedon has also done . . . Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Look at the cast. Robert Downy Jr. is great, the rest are pretty much nobodies, Ruffalo is decent; SLJ is just played (I give Avengers the hot chick quotient) VS. Michael Cain, Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, and any movie with Gary Oldman rocks.

Like EP said there is also the element of verisimilitude, the themes are different, there is no element of internal struggle in Avengers that I can relate to.

Like I said I enjoyed the movie, relax.

Vehicles
      2009 R56 S, 1987 E30
      05-11-2012 10:30 AM #398
      To each their own. Avengers is miles more enjoyable than either Nolan Batman movie in my book. I'll watch Iron Man or Avengers a dozen times before I'd throw in BB or TDK again.
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      1988 BMW 325i topless

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      05-11-2012 12:42 PM #399
      Yes because Joss Whedon has also done . . . Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Look at the cast. Robert Downy Jr. is great, the rest are pretty much nobodies, Ruffalo is decent; SLJ is just played (I give Avengers the hot chick quotient) VS. Michael Cain, Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, and any movie with Gary Oldman rocks.

Like EP said there is also the element of verisimilitude, the themes are different, there is no element of internal struggle in Avengers that I can relate to.

Like I said I enjoyed the movie, relax.
      You can relate to Batman huh. I guess you lost both your parents at a young age and run around at night in a mask.

If you watched the Avengers movie and payed attention you would see the internal struggle between the cast members (tony vs cap or widow vs hawk eye). And please don't even bring in the cast into this equation. How hard is it for everyone in a movie to act emo? Tom Hiddelston as Lokie outperformed every single cast member in the batman series barring Heath Ledger and I thought he did an equally amazing job.
      OTC

25. 05-11-2012 01:42 PM #400
      Quote Originally Posted by SOAR View Post
      People give Nolan way to much credit for the "feel of the movies". The tone of his movies are identical to the comics. He didn't create that, he just copied the feel of TDK comics. Give the credit to Frank Miller, because this next movie is just a rehash of Franks comic book of the same name that he wrote back in the 80's. Nolan just swapped out the Joker/mutants for Bane. He even admitted it.
      and that is actually why I have loved the Nolan batman movies

Then again it is also why i have loved the Marvel movies as well (most of them that is - they have had some growing pains).

Seeing comics that i read as a kid up on the big screen has been a pretty cool experience for me. Same with the first transformers movie.

It is hard for me to debate which is better because i own just about all the Marvel movies on dvd/bd and both of nolan's batman movies on bd. I have watched each at minimum 3 times and will continue to watch them in the future when my son gets older. (batmans might be quite a bit older)

Im pretty sure i will love TDKR as much as the avengers and i do not really care who wins biggest revenue and all that other bs.
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast