Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: The Archive: Interview - Ford of Europe boss Bob Lutz

Vehicles
      2014 Golf TDI wagon, 2003 Passat 1.8T
      08-26-2008 10:16 PM #1
      CAR October, 1982

Bet you didn't know about Maximum Bob's involvement with the development of the Ford Sierra.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 323
      08-26-2008 10:35 PM #2
      very interesting

I never knew anything about Bob Lutz until I read this article. Seems like a smart guy. How old is he now though? he looks like he was in his fifties in 1982

Vehicles
      08-26-2008 10:49 PM #3
      He's in 70's now - not that he looks it.

He went from GM Europe to BMW to Ford of Europe to Ford to Chrysler and then back to GM.

He's got a lot of experience with a lot different car companies with postings in the US and Europe that makes him more well-rounded than a lot of auto execs.

Vehicles
      08-27-2008 10:55 AM #4
      bump for an interesting read.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      08-27-2008 11:14 AM #5
      Absolutely fascinating, and the picture of Lutz looks like propaganda art. Looking back on this with the intervening 25 years of history, it's amazing how right he was about the Sierra and about the Taurus (the FWD project for America). Both of those cars were amazing successes for Ford.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      2011 GTI, 2002 S60, 1963 356
      08-27-2008 11:32 AM #6
      Quote »
      At the end of the interview, just a day away from his departure, Bob Lutz paid handsome complements to Ed Blanch, his successor in the chair of Ford of Europe, with a typically Lutz comparison between films and the car game...

Funny how in the latest video of Bob Lutz, he compares automotive development costs to movie production costs. He said something like "nobody thinks about a movie costing 100, 200, $300m, but in the car industry, that's a very minor facelift, we work in the billions..."

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      08-27-2008 11:43 AM #7
      Lutz' biography would make a v. good movie screenplay. Born to privilege, yet grounded by patriotism and a strong work-ethic, capped by a passion for automobiles from his youngest years, the guy really is the "stuff of legend". I get kind of tired of narrowminded know-nothings who badmouth Lutz. He has forgotten more about cars and the car business than most of them will ever know.

BMW, as we know it since the 1970s, would most likely never have even existed without the guidance and insight of Robert Lutz during its critical transition from a German oddity into a worldwide powerhouse carmaker. He should be applauded for this alone.

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      08-27-2008 11:55 AM #8

Recommended reading.

We could use more people like Lutz in the executive ranks of car companies.

Modified by MEIN_VW at 12:03 PM 8-27-2008

9. Member
      08-27-2008 12:32 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »
      We could use more people like Lutz in the executive ranks of car companies.

Ever since first reading about Lutz I've always held that the man is brilliant. Recent interviews and readings, both past & present, have only reaffirmed my opinion that ALL companies need men like Bob Lutz. He appreciates Japanese cars, German cars, old cars, and new cars. He likes them big, small, FWD, RWD, and everything in between. Most importantly though he always tries to put himself in the shoes of the consumer, something that has been sorely lacking from GM for far too long. He's a car guy that understands non-car people.

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Mars went for Obama in the last election

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      06-26-2012 01:51 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by uberR32 View Post
      I'm sorry, I have to keep this fair and balanced. From the man who drove BMW to success and GM into the ground.
      While much of what you posted is true and your links bear this out, he was far from the "one" who drove GM into the ground. That much is total fallacy.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Click http://i.imgur.com/5wiUNUX.jpg for a Golden Era Honda wall-collage lovingly made by some dork's grammy. I'm kidding. Said dork did it himself.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI 5d, '85 944. ('01 S2K '03 350Z, '08 E90 M3)~memorable priors
      06-26-2012 02:10 PM #12
      His book Car Guys vs Bean Counters was a great read. It really gives a good look into the American automotive industry from an insider who's held just about every corporate position in the industry. I suggest you pick it up, it's a relatively short read and doesn't seem to concerned with politics, which is contrary to most of his actions these days. I loved the book, respect the man, and agreed with "most" of his views. However nothing he can say will allow me to condone the Big 3 "Automotive" execs arriving in corporate jets to beg Congress to give them hard earned tax dollars so they can keep the companies afloat, and use that same Taxpayer money to negotiate a deal to pay those same taxpayers less money. But I digress...most car guys will love it.