VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A boy and his dream

Vehicles
      '84 Rabbit, 2012 GTI
      10-09-2010 01:28 PM #106
      This thread is great!

2. 10-11-2010 09:15 AM #107
      Ok so the old rabbit is all most gutted more pics will be up later today.

3. 10-11-2010 05:57 PM #108
      As promised his old bunny tear down. It was a sad day, but it's all in the name of progress.

Some of the rust

4. 10-14-2010 05:44 PM #109
      got my usually sideways rally team shift kit today the funny thing was it said it weighed 5lbs it had a black rod but that's what she said. thank you for the comments please keep following my thread will update soon.

5. 10-18-2010 10:51 AM #110
      OK so I am posting these while James is at school. So far he has everything he needs to complete the exterior of the car except the Euro Bumpers, but like i told him you can rock the stock ones for a bit and then switch them out. He also has three simple D.I.Y's in mind so check those out when he gets them up. And a big thanks goes out to Steve and James friend Tim for just hanging and lending a hand. And to Mike in the first set of photos.
      So here is the work from this weekend.
      First James jacked up the car and then James removed the tires, it was his first time using an impact.

His rear disc set up.

Then we finished taking parts off the back.

Keegan wanted to help

striker removal

Hatch was next.(gonna do a D.I.Y on this)

What Bolt's?

Oh never mind.

Then it was lower rocker molding

Then it was the front wheel arches and inner fender wells. And look what we found.

Then it was the air dam

And what is this in the corner?

Oh that's what it is!

And next to it James new motor, A higher compression 8v from a GLI. I think we are going to play with the head a bit add a new valve train and it should do him just fine till he get's a couple years driving under his belt. And the blue, it's going away.

Vehicles
      MK6, Tacoma
      10-18-2010 12:53 PM #111
      Your son's love for the cars must run deep. It seems rare that a kid that young stays focused on one thing for that many years, haha. Good job dad, it looks like you guys are having an awesome time together. I think a lot of us here wish we could have done these projects as a kid too.
      DCDubs - We are still a car club...right?
      IntegratedEngineering - Honest People - Honest Pricing - Amazing Service
      Quote Originally Posted by that1guydotcom View Post
      scott is going light weight on everything he even trimmed the beard
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      I don't think there's anything responsible at all about owning a Porsche. That's like being responsible about a cocaine habit.

Vehicles
      A German thing, and a not so German thing
      10-18-2010 04:19 PM #112
      cool

Vehicles
      MK5 GTI, 2012 cc (wife's car) and 4 previous VW's
      08-18-2011 01:43 PM #113
      Back from the dead. I can't wait to do stuff like this with my son. He is only 2 but I already have big plans for him. He loves VDUBS already. I think it's his favorite word actually, that and pointing at my mk5 gti and saying dadda car!

9. 12-06-2011 08:26 AM #114
      So james car has taken a back seat to my wifes 78 Mach 1 but he is down to needing only a few parts. Seals all of them, euro bumper, and a 1.8 16 valve harness and cpu.
      If anyone has any of these let us know.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 rabbit 16v-t
      04-07-2012 06:22 PM #115
      You, sir, are so awesome. I wasn't able to get my own VW until I was 18.....im 19 now But I've thought to myself that when the time comes, I want my kids to start early on their own cars, with my help of course, so that when they reach the age of driving, they will have something I know is reliable and that they will care a lot about because they know the work that went into it and will appreciate it. to you man
      "One of the fastest cars I've ever been in. I'm actually kinda car sick" -my buddy JD

Vehicles
      i drive everything
      04-08-2012 03:47 AM #116
      Great work guys! I havent seen a thread like this in years!!! its awesome!

Vehicles
      1979 VW Rabbit Mk1
      04-08-2012 07:18 AM #117
      Very good to know younger kids than me is working on builds. Me being 21 with no dad at 10 was tough learning on my own. Great job on the project and very smart way to keep kids out of trouble!

13. 07-17-2013 10:55 AM #118
      Ok so it has been awhile, I travel all the time for work so no time to work on anything.
      So just an update, James was getting closer to 16 and the GTI needed paint and re assembly the only part left to buy was the rear roll pan. Well as a teen he was looking for immediate satisfaction.
      So he found a 1990 Audi V8 Quattro and sold all of his collected rabbit parts and motors etc.
      Enter the Audi

Well not being patient at 15 he decided to take a ride at 3 am. The result

Yep a totaled Audi!
      So he now has learned from this.
      He has added up all of his casts etc. and the fact that most of his friends are driving. And knows it sucks.
      He also regrets selling the GTI and was on the hunt for a new rabbit!
      Enter Bob ( our local Forums Rabbit Whore, I mean the car when I say this)
      It has been through a lot of hands in our local forum.
      Funny thing is when James got it, Some how his motor from his old GTI would up in this car.

I guess stay tuned, and yes everyone in the accident was fine.

Vehicles
      8v army
      07-17-2013 03:11 PM #119
      Awesome! I can't wait to do this with my son
      Quote Originally Posted by jbigs268 View Post
      Then wait till you can afford the CXs, buy them so your kid doesnt get shaking baby syndrome from the racelands

15. 08-22-2013 08:19 PM #120
      So funny thing, James changes cars like no other. Really nothing we can't fix on the Rabbit but for some reason he wants my old Jetta. So the rabbit may be gone soon but first the new throttle body and USRT linkage kit goes in!
      By the way it has a full 84 GTI 8 v in it lightly massaged of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234