VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

A boy and his dream

29K views 132 replies 65 participants last post by  -teknien- 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone so my kid has a dream but due to mother nature we have some set backs, my son wants to build a MK1 so follow as i explain his story.
Meet James as of this year he is 12.

James likes the rabbits, and is also not afraid to tear into them. These were taken when he was 10, with a little guidance from me he tore in to the GTI with a vengeance.

Even taking on the task of striping the undercoating out.

Next he cleaned the interior up

Now some of you are like........So? Well he has done all this with very little help from me, sure i was there and if he needed an answer for a question i gave it, with a body shop background it is all easy for me. Let's just say in this age of gimme, gimme. He's done a good job.
Enter the parts car......Picked up another Non running GTI for parts one with a real bad floor, at least that's what i was told.
Turns out to be in better shape than the white one. So we switched gears. Now James is going to build that one. Turns out it was parked in 01 after a timing belt install...........they just couldn't get it running.
Well we pulled the distributor and gave her a little turn.........180 off. So it now runs (with the help of carb cleaner) New fuel pump this month. Here is the car.

So here is the bible that James will be using

And we now have the new support thanks Fatmobile.

Looks like James now has a steering wheel I showed him the photo and got the approval so to speak.

Not bad huh.........
We ran into a couple snags that stopped us dead in the water.
Well enter disaster

SRC="http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb38/iadubber/cad2/IMG_2430.jpg" BORDER="0">
Ok so as you can see the pocket book is going to take a hit, Our house ended up in around 5 FT. of water. The floors Heaved warped beams cracked walls, etc.
Good news both GTI's were saved got them out before the water got there
, but I have told James we have to put off any work for awhile.
Then James had an idea, You see he has a very concrete plan on how he wants the car to look and i have to say I'm impressed with it.
He wants to daily drive it and take it to the big shows. So he asked if i could find sponsors..........well I'm not a begger or a free loader but i told him I'd try. He nailed my friend down for a full stereo install and tint so he has his first one. He has called his project" Bunny Bomb"
So for the long and the short of it, I'm posting to see if there are any vendors, shops, or People who would like to sponsor James build.
I can pay shipping on anything.
The Plan(if we get sponsors)
The Plan
Gut/strip the car this fall (to just body)
Start the body work. Shave the rain tray, poss. Handles or switch them out for something different
Por15 the inside.
Get Misc. parts powder coated and refinished while doing body work
Also rebuild the motor.
Get interior done
Assemble by spring/early summer
To give you an idea he has picked the whole color scheme himself inside and out plus some other things done inside that i have not seen done yet.
It will have factory striping with factory rubs
he would like some Euro Bumpers
Full disc setup
And new wheels undecided what kind(i got him a set but he did not like them so I'll refinish them and off they go)

Exterior
Parts needed (that we know of for body)
both rockers
left inner wheel well rear
grill
hood
hatch
seals
Front window
Rub strips
Euro Bumpers
rear panel below the hatch

Interior
Maybe front seats (if any thing interesting comes up)
Maybe steering wheel
Color swatches have been picked
Drive Train
keep the 1.8 and g60 charge it or swap in a 1.8t
Coils or cupkit
Any and all bushings (poss. Poly)
I will fab the tower braces and sub frame connectors maybe a cage(i design things for a living)
Rear disc set up and proportioning valve
sways
Exhaust
header or down pipe
So as of know we are getting a smoked piece of plexi glass (donated)
and it will be a sponsor board for shows. The plan is to have the car done by spring and hit up at least 4 big shows if not more. We will have a detailed build book with photos.
I think i have a sponsor for a 1.8t and the interior and i have a local shop that has sponsored us by giving us a place to work on it lift tools and all.
So many thanks for reading James story and if you would like to partake in this little fiasco feel free to pm me.
I will up date this post with any work or sponsors info i get.
Thanks for your time.

The Sponsor List
Grimes Automotive Use of the shop http://grimesautomotive.com/
Fatmobile-Rad. Support
R & T performance Glass-Stereo & Tint
Haught Design-Plexi sign and any vinyl
Apex Tuning- Euro Bumpers Pending , we keep missing each other
Porsche Stearing Wheel- Fein1 Still have not heard back from him.
Modified by cadwiz at 9:57 PM 8-27-2008

Modified by cadwiz at 9:00 PM 8-28-2008

Modified by cadwiz at 8:23 AM 9-2-2008

Modified by cadwiz at 8:24 AM 9-2-2008

Modified by cadwiz at 10:43 AM 9-7-2008

Modified by cadwiz at 10:57 AM 9-7-2008

Modified by cadwiz at 8:13 AM 9-8-2008

Modified by cadwiz at 8:55 AM 10-6-2008

See less See more
#77 ·
Re: (cadwiz)

i'd definitely be interested in buying a set of those lines. same for the hard fuel lines too if he can get the thicker tubing. i'll even donate my lines for the schematic.
on a side note, you have an IM about me needing the number to you head guy. i need to give him a call.
and lastly...it turns out i won't be able to make it to your party. i'd like to come but i forgot about a work bike ride we scheduled for after work tomorrow. hope it's great though! talk to you soon.
later

#78 ·
Re: (spddemon313)

So James got the bug to work on his car, and since i am laid off at the moment, all he can do is wash it lol.
Well and clean up the inside. And buff it most of it ill look good so here it is.
Just washed.

James drying it off

James trying to get some shine back in those wheels.
He complained a lot here lol.

TJ hitting it with a buffer.

And after the buffer

We ran out of daylight but it should buff up real good besides some rust areas and the hood ,it looks like some one tried to use some stripper on it.

#80 ·
Re: A boy and his dream (cadwiz)

so i think you posted on my thread that you're doing my body work...that true? if so when are you starting? haha. it's just about ready for it. let me know.
any word on the fuel and brake lines? i'll call you in a few days if i haven't heard from you. later!

#81 ·
Re: A boy and his dream (spddemon313)

Brake lines are asy to bend and the new stuff is almost impossible to kink.
Getting a good bubble flare can be tough.
I've been getting a good bubble flare using a couple of the double flare fittings, but would suggest bending them yourself and having a shop flare them for you, good experience.

#83 ·
Re: (EURO A3)

Quote, originally posted by fatmobile »
Brake lines are asy to bend and the new stuff is almost impossible to kink.
Getting a good bubble flare can be tough.
I've been getting a good bubble flare using a couple of the double flare fittings, but would suggest bending them yourself and having a shop flare them for you, good experience.

Well it is up on stands and i found the leak, i had full lines qouted. good god it was outrageous. So when you coming to Des Moines to help with the brakes lol
Joking I'll pull the bad line and do it our selves. Right now i need to track down some valve train noise on my new valve train, i know it don't make sense.

Quote, originally posted by EURO A3 »
U tell you're boy that dreams do come true! I'll look around my garage to see what I can help with maybe a front sway bar?

He is finding that out, and i'm sure he would love a sway bar.

#86 ·
Re: (no car kid)

Well after much protest James learned how to pack wheel bearings, the old school way. and he got the disc brakes on. Jason, and i got the new lines on so it is drivable now.

re-bending lines to fit....

So now it is on to the fuel system for a bit, it runs rough so i am going to get the injector seals and clean the injectors and the dizzy and change the filter and the problem cutting out sudden like will stop i am sure.

#90 ·

so while James is at the cabin in MN we decided to surprise him with some new parts new rotors and pads all the way around. A new hood, new hood release cable and tail lights.
the things he is needing now are body parts so it can get painted.
Floor pans front fenders and hatch is all it will take.
Then we do a 16 v swap and we are golden.
Oh and he needs euro bumpers and he would like some 16v rocco spindles.
I'll post pics later.

#91 ·

Quote, originally posted by cadwiz »

Then we do a 16 v swap and we are golden.
Oh and he needs euro bumpers and he would like some 16v rocco spindles.

You guys are getting this all donated
? Impressive.

#92 ·
Re: (echassin)

Almost everything has been donated, Since we went through a flood with alot of damage and i am laid off the money that should be re building the cars mine and his is just gone.
My mk1 is on the back burner and none of the donated parts are going on my car, all on his.
I buy things when i can like the new fuel pump, lines and filter.
But yes the rear disc swap was donated by the deezl as well as the 16v swap. it's only a 1.8 but it is a 16v so who can complain.
The rear rotors are from broobs as well as the tail lights and the fronts are from orange dub.
he got stainless lines from goodridge and some rubber molding pieces from another company.
In Oct. he will be old enough to register as a user so he will be doing all the updates then with some help i suppose.
what he really wanted was corporate sponsors to show off some wares for people. But like i told him you have to show progress to get folks to stand behind you. Any way lets hope he picks up some big sponsors and i can get this beast painted and in a show by H2O or if not then by next years show season.

#94 ·
Re: (echassin)

If you are offering? then sure we would have to change the plans on how we were going to set up the car but hey who cares right.
The entire car is getting blown apart in the fall so that is the extent of it.
Bare shell blasted and a fresh start.

#99 ·

Ok sorry it has been awhile. With spring gearing up you should see more things happening.
I am still job hunting after a year and have had good interviews etc. but with the job market saturated it's hard.
So let's reply to comments.
As far as what amount of the build will be donated as much as he can get , what he really wants is sponsors from vendors etc.
Thanks to all who said a good word and commented on me being a good dad.
Now on to the things he needs To make it run well and safe for him to drive this year when he gets his learners permit.
Header 8V
Exhaust
Coilover or cupkit although i told him stock springs and shocks would be good.
Full shifter rebuild kit
16 v rocco e brake cables
Here are things he needs to complete his build.
Euro bumpers(plastic ones)
Floor pans
Hatch
Any performance 1.8 16 v parts
16 v to rabbit header
set of window seals
pass side rocker
full rocco 16 v front brake set up
new motor mounts
and a full body suspension bushing kit
Sway bars
K bar
Strut tower bar
So anyway that's about it what he really needs is people to spread the word to vendors and shops, to get some sponsors.
We would like to take it to MD this year in Sept. but it all depends on the state of the build.
So much tanks again people. We have a hood , hood release cable and some other little things to do soon so stay tuned.
Oh and i forgot to mention he has won his first trophy already.
It was for "rattiest Ride" lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.