Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 141 of 285 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast
    Results 3,501 to 3,525 of 7117

    Thread: The Official Vwvortex Firearm Picture Post

    1. Member Motorwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2002
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      5,258
      Vehicles
      07 F150
      07-09-2011 04:09 AM #3501
      Quote Originally Posted by gotta_jet View Post
      CA allows AOW's, and Curios & relic SBS/SBR.

      you'll need to have someone set up an NFA trust for you unless your CLEO will sign your form 1/4 (good luck with that)

      AOW's ($5 stamp)
      .
      I dont follow....
      Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!- R. Lee Ermey

    2. Member johnnyOcho's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 24th, 2009
      Location
      Raleigh NC
      Posts
      146
      Vehicles
      1994 Celica, 2003 Acura CL Type S 6speed
      07-10-2011 04:54 PM #3502
      My Kel-tec P-40(not converted) and Smith & Wesson Search and Rescue Blade.

      They all start out as Daily Drivers

    3. Member farfromugen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2001
      Location
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      Posts
      4,292
      Vehicles
      1997 GTI VR, 2000 XJ beater, 2007 Snota
      07-10-2011 10:00 PM #3503
      Having fun today:

      Instagram: @farfromugen

      “You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.”-HST

    4. Moderator SLC4EVER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 1999
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      14,497
      Vehicles
      '93SLC '94SLC
      07-11-2011 03:08 AM #3504
      Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerks View Post
      I dont follow....
      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ght=sbr&page=1

    5. Member Motorwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2002
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      5,258
      Vehicles
      07 F150
      07-11-2011 02:06 PM #3505
      What a PITA, I think I'll stick with 16 inch barrels (or pinned 14.5) for now.
      Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!- R. Lee Ermey

    6. Member boraIV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8th, 2001
      Location
      six.oh.two.
      Posts
      10,430
      Vehicles
      '14 JKU Rubicon, '13 Cayenne Diesel, '81 ABA Caddy
      07-12-2011 01:17 PM #3506
      I've been having some issues with the firing pin on my Ruger P89 lately and its to the point that I just don't trust it anymore, even if a gunsmith fixes it.

      Basically, I took it to the range a while back and the firing pin wasn't hitting the round so I took it home and cleaned it really really well, including the firing pin. Lubed it up and put it all back together. I went to the range on Saturday and got 3 rounds off before it started up again.

      I was never a huge fan of this gun (hand me down from my brother) and now I think this is the last straw. I'm looking at getting maybe a Beretta 92, Springfield XD9 or XD40. I have shot the Springfield and I like it a lot. I have a Sig Mosquito and I absolutely love the way it fits in my hand so I'd love to get a 226 or 229 but I can't spend that much on one.

      Any opinions, thoughts, advice, insight, etc?

    7. Member 00boraslow's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 22nd, 2004
      Location
      Lower Burrell, PA
      Posts
      7,281
      Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      07-12-2011 06:21 PM #3507
      My new toy. M82A1 with Leupold MK4 and Barrett BORS kit. The scope/BORS combo is already sold. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 and a new BORS that will be going on shortly.

      Yes, I know this is my 3rd Barrett. I have issues and need therapy.




    8. 07-12-2011 07:35 PM #3508
      The question is...are the newer models genuinely better than the old - or are you just suffering from new-car sickness, via firearms? I'd have a hard time losing money or spending more just to update a minor feature or two.

      What are the major changes you've seen - and have you seen a performance/reliability increase as the models develop?

    9. Member 00boraslow's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 22nd, 2004
      Location
      Lower Burrell, PA
      Posts
      7,281
      Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      07-12-2011 08:58 PM #3509
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      The question is...are the newer models genuinely better than the old - or are you just suffering from new-car sickness, via firearms? I'd have a hard time losing money or spending more just to update a minor feature or two.

      What are the major changes you've seen - and have you seen a performance/reliability increase as the models develop?
      The M82A1 has evolved over the past 10yrs. The rail system and a few other items have been upgraded. The one I just bought is a little over 3yrs old, but only has about 10rds through it.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2006
      Location
      Oregon
      Posts
      1,066
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      07-12-2011 09:13 PM #3510
      Quote Originally Posted by 00boraslow View Post
      My new toy. M82A1 with Leupold MK4 and Barrett BORS kit. The scope/BORS combo is already sold. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 and a new BORS that will be going on shortly.

      Yes, I know this is my 3rd Barrett. I have issues and need therapy.





      Saw a guy on ar15.com take one of those beauties hog hunting. Piggy didn't make it far. Awesome looking rifle man.

    11. Moderator SLC4EVER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 1999
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      14,497
      Vehicles
      '93SLC '94SLC
      07-12-2011 11:23 PM #3511

    12. Member Motorwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2002
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      5,258
      Vehicles
      07 F150
      07-13-2011 01:21 AM #3512
      LOL you can always tell the CA guns.

      I love my Young NM BCG! I only run it in my Service Rifle though. I cant afford them in everything else.
      Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!- R. Lee Ermey

    13. 07-13-2011 09:36 AM #3513
      Is that just an Fail-Zero coated bolt carrier? I had one in my last AR and it was awesome.

    14. Moderator SLC4EVER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 1999
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      14,497
      Vehicles
      '93SLC '94SLC
      07-13-2011 11:00 AM #3514
      Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerks View Post
      LOL you can always tell the CA guns.

      I love my Young NM BCG! I only run it in my Service Rifle though. I cant afford them in everything else.

      Stupid bullet button.


      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Is that just an Fail-Zero coated bolt carrier? I had one in my last AR and it was awesome.
      No, it's chromed. But I think that Youngs uses some sort of teflon coating because they seem rather slick for just chrome. Super easy to clean. I tried a Fail Zero but I kept having feeding issues with it, so I sold it. Maybe a bad batch or something, I'm not sure.

    15. Member abawp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2005
      Location
      VA Beach
      Posts
      12,299
      Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      07-13-2011 11:17 AM #3515
      Quote Originally Posted by boraIV View Post
      I was never a huge fan of this gun (hand me down from my brother) and now I think this is the last straw. I'm looking at getting maybe a Beretta 92, Springfield XD9 or XD40. I have shot the Springfield and I like it a lot. I have a Sig Mosquito and I absolutely love the way it fits in my hand so I'd love to get a 226 or 229 but I can't spend that much on one.

      Any opinions, thoughts, advice, insight, etc?
      I own both a P226 and a Mosquito and let me tell you, the P226 is much thicker than the Mosquito. I can get a side-by-side picture comparison if you'd like.

      My P226 was my first firearm and like you I couldn't justify the nearly $900 price. Then I found a CPO P226 for $600. That price was a little more bearable and since it's CPO, it gets a once over from the factory.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

    16. Member boraIV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 8th, 2001
      Location
      six.oh.two.
      Posts
      10,430
      Vehicles
      '14 JKU Rubicon, '13 Cayenne Diesel, '81 ABA Caddy
      07-13-2011 12:00 PM #3516
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      I own both a P226 and a Mosquito and let me tell you, the P226 is much thicker than the Mosquito. I can get a side-by-side picture comparison if you'd like.

      My P226 was my first firearm and like you I couldn't justify the nearly $900 price. Then I found a CPO P226 for $600. That price was a little more bearable and since it's CPO, it gets a once over from the factory.
      Yeah I imagine that it is. I have big hands so that won't bother me. I handled a P250 yesterday and really liked that as well. Either way, they feel a helluva lot better than my Ruger.

    17. 07-13-2011 12:38 PM #3517
      Quote Originally Posted by SLC4EVER View Post
      Stupid bullet button.




      No, it's chromed. But I think that Youngs uses some sort of teflon coating because they seem rather slick for just chrome. Super easy to clean. I tried a Fail Zero but I kept having feeding issues with it, so I sold it. Maybe a bad batch or something, I'm not sure.
      My Fail-Zero one was a factory bolt and carrier from LWRC, so it worked out really well. They offer a FZ trigger group which is supposed to be awesome. Couple that with their new Advanced Combat Bolt and the whole package is pretty freakin' incredible.

    18. Moderator SLC4EVER's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 1999
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      14,497
      Vehicles
      '93SLC '94SLC
      07-13-2011 03:53 PM #3518
      Pretty sure they are offering an upper receiver with the same coating. I never did use the trigger that came with mine. I'm sold on single stage 3lb Timney's and use them in every build.

    19. Member Motorwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2002
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      5,258
      Vehicles
      07 F150
      07-13-2011 04:16 PM #3519
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Is that just an Fail-Zero coated bolt carrier? I had one in my last AR and it was awesome.
      like he said, not FZ, but there's not even a Teflon. Its all chrome, even my DPMS Chrome bolt is slick as snot

      http://www.youngmanufacturing.net/pr...php?pid75.html
      Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!- R. Lee Ermey

    20. 07-14-2011 09:30 PM #3520
      Quote Originally Posted by gotta_jet View Post
      CA allows AOW's, and Curios & relic SBS/SBR.

      you'll need to have someone set up an NFA trust for you unless your CLEO will sign your form 1/4 (good luck with that)

      AOW's ($5 stamp)



      i'd dig a super shorty, but not gonna drop $600+ on an NFA trust just so i can buy one.
      just curious, how can a saiga 12 fit into an aow class?

    21. Member Motorwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2002
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      5,258
      Vehicles
      07 F150
      07-14-2011 09:33 PM #3521
      Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel86 View Post
      just curious, how can a saiga 12 fit into an aow class?
      I cant even figure out exactly what an AOW is????
      Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!- R. Lee Ermey

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 8th, 2006
      Location
      Ghettowaukee
      Posts
      1,618
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      07-14-2011 09:46 PM #3522
      AOW = All other weapons (I think)

      It is what they call a "scary looking" gun when it doesn't fall into one of the pre-defined existing scary gun categories (ex: SBR, SBS, Machine Gun...).

      Placing said scary looking gun in said scary category makes it more difficult to obtain, thus making America safer.
      Last edited by greychinchilla; 07-14-2011 at 10:05 PM.

    23. Member Motorwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2002
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      5,258
      Vehicles
      07 F150
      07-14-2011 09:52 PM #3523
      Quote Originally Posted by greychinchilla View Post
      AOW = All other weapons (I think)

      It is what they call a "scary looking" gun when it doesn't fall into one of the pre-defined existing scary gun categories (ex: SBR, SBS, Machine Gun...).

      Placing said scary looking gun in said scary category makes it more difficult to obtain, thus making America safer.
      10-4
      Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!- R. Lee Ermey

    24. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2001
      Location
      Baltimore, MD
      Posts
      19,207
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      07-14-2011 10:20 PM #3524
      Quote Originally Posted by greychinchilla View Post
      AOW = All other weapons (I think)

      It is what they call a "scary looking" gun when it doesn't fall into one of the pre-defined existing scary gun categories (ex: SBR, SBS, Machine Gun...).

      Placing said scary looking gun in said scary category makes it more difficult to obtain, thus making America safer.
      It's actually "Any Other Weapon," and it's defined in the NFA act of 1934. Wikipedia has a pretty good summary:

      Any Other Weapons (AOWs) - this is a broad "catch-all" category used to regulate any number of firearms which the ATF deems deserving of registration and taxation. Examples include, among others:


      • Smooth-bore pistols








      • A firearm with combinations smooth bore and rifle barrels 12 inches or more but less than 18 inches in length from which only a single shot can be made from either barrel.




      • Disguised firearms




      • Firearms that can be fired from within a wallet holster or a briefcase




      • A short-barreled shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip is categorized as an AOW rather than a SBS, because the Gun Control Act describes a shotgun as “…designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder…”




      • Handguns with a forward vertical grip. It is therefore illegal to place an aftermarket foregrip on any pistol without first registering it as an AOW and paying the $200 "making tax" imposed by the Act.


      Thus, the Saiga in this example could, I believe, be defined as an AOW because it is a) a smoothbore pistol, and b) a pistol with a vertical foregrip.

      The nice thing about AOWs is that the transfer tax on them is only $5, instead of $200 like for other NFA items such as suppressors or fully automatics.

      -Tim
      The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

      VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

    25. Member Motorwerks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2002
      Location
      Roseville, CA
      Posts
      5,258
      Vehicles
      07 F150
      07-14-2011 10:23 PM #3525
      I wonder why CA needs an NFA trust then. Hmmmm I need to do more research.
      Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!- R. Lee Ermey

    Page 141 of 285 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •