Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 140 of 195 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
    Results 4,866 to 4,900 of 6791

Thread: The Official Vwvortex Firearm Picture Post

Vehicles
      07 F150
      10-07-2012 06:28 PM #4866
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      I think the best price point for a competent rifle (something the OBR is heads and tails above) is about $1500. I think for around $1500 you should be able to buy or build a very competent, reliable, mil-spec or better fighting gun. Anything beyond that should be bells and whistles or customized stuff.
      Part of that is the gun tax stuff for a complete gun.... other than that, I've built some REALLY nice AR's with a used part or two for $700.00 to $1200.00. The $700.00 rifle would have been cheaper if we didn't buy the lower right after Obama was elected. Hell I built my .308 AR for about $1400.00 with its Bushnell 10x and mount.
      Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!- R. Lee Ermey

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      10-07-2012 06:36 PM #4867
      Yep, I agree...but I mean I'm seeing the price of many "excellent" AR rifles in the $2400 range now, and I think "damn that's expensive"...then I see the $3K+ guns and think "okay, not so bad...".

I think the best price point for a competent rifle (something the OBR is heads and tails above) is about $1500. I think for around $1500 you should be able to buy or build a very competent, reliable, mil-spec or better fighting gun. Anything beyond that should be bells and whistles or customized stuff.

$1500 seems like a nice number for a nice, high-quality/name build. I've priced sub-$1000 builds using quality barrel/parts, but not using railed forends or fancy carbine stocks. KISS is good.

To be perfectly honest, an OBR would be wasted on me. I'm not a terrible shot, but I'm not up there yet. My Mini 14 does decently enough, 3-4.5" @ 100yds if I do my part.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.
      My GLI is dead, waiting for new headwork. AEM intake, APR R1, APR TIP, ST Coilovers, Eurosport Lower Front Stress Bar, BFI Stg. 1 Motor Mount Kit, .:R32/BFI LCA Bushings, Neuspeed 28mm RSB, Forge SS w/ S2S, 42DD shift linkage bushings, Verdict Motorsports shift bracket bushings.

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      10-08-2012 01:04 PM #4868
      Just saw this posted; I think some members here may have the 380:

"During an internal quality review, Carl Walther GmbH has identified a condition that may exist in certain PK380 pistols which may permit a round to be discharged if the trigger is pulled, despite engagement of the manual safety. Walther has found that engagement of the manual safety may not prevent firing of a chambered round when the trigger is pulled.

This recall applies to Walther PK380, .380 ACP pistols manufactured by Carl Walther GmbH from May through September 2012, which have a serial number range from PK101201 to PK112155.

STOP USING YOUR PISTOL AND RETURN IT TO WALTHERAMERICA AT ONCE.

Any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential to cause injury, and we ask that you stop using your pistol until we have an opportunity to inspect it to make certain that there is no condition which will allow the pistol to discharge with the safety engaged.

To facilitate the inspection and repair, if necessary, of your pistol, please contact Waltheramerica’s customer service department at 1-800-713-0356 to receive instructions and a call tag for the return of your pistol to Waltheramerica.

Additional information will be posted on Waltheramerica.com. If you have any questions about this recall, please contact Waltheramerica at 1-800-713-0356."

Also, Specialty Sports is releasing a 10/22 Takedown in MC.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.
      My GLI is dead, waiting for new headwork. AEM intake, APR R1, APR TIP, ST Coilovers, Eurosport Lower Front Stress Bar, BFI Stg. 1 Motor Mount Kit, .:R32/BFI LCA Bushings, Neuspeed 28mm RSB, Forge SS w/ S2S, 42DD shift linkage bushings, Verdict Motorsports shift bracket bushings.

Vehicles
      07 F150
      10-08-2012 03:29 PM #4869
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post

Also, Specialty Sports is releasing a 10/22 Takedown in MC.
      Ohmyholyjesus!!! I was just looking at the standard one yesterday, If I can find one of these it shall be mine!!!
      Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!- R. Lee Ermey

10-08-2012 04:23 PM #4870
      Just saw this posted; I think some members here may have the 380:

"During an internal quality review, Carl Walther GmbH has identified a condition that may exist in certain PK380 pistols which may permit a round to be discharged if the trigger is pulled, despite engagement of the manual safety. Walther has found that engagement of the manual safety may not prevent firing of a chambered round when the trigger is pulled.

This recall applies to Walther PK380, .380 ACP pistols manufactured by Carl Walther GmbH from May through September 2012, which have a serial number range from PK101201 to PK112155.

STOP USING YOUR PISTOL AND RETURN IT TO WALTHERAMERICA AT ONCE.

Any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential to cause injury, and we ask that you stop using your pistol until we have an opportunity to inspect it to make certain that there is no condition which will allow the pistol to discharge with the safety engaged.

To facilitate the inspection and repair, if necessary, of your pistol, please contact Waltheramerica’s customer service department at 1-800-713-0356 to receive instructions and a call tag for the return of your pistol to Waltheramerica.

Additional information will be posted on Waltheramerica.com. If you have any questions about this recall, please contact Waltheramerica at 1-800-713-0356."

Yeah, that's me with the Walther PK380. Mine is an older model and isn't affected by the recall. Went shooting yesterday and safety tested it before we began. Safety works fine. It actually has two safety features, one of which is a small key which you can hard lock the trigger. The other safety (the one referred to in the recall) is a cam type setup which prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin. Mine works fine. I had ZERO problems with the gun after going through 50 rounds of standard 95gr FMJ.

Overall, a very fun little pistol to shoot. The 380 ACP (aka 9mm Browning, 9x17mm, 9mm Kurz) doesn't have a lot of recoil but still seems to have enough "punch" to be effective in close. I bought the 380 with the intention of using it as a nightstand weapon for the wife (with hollow point rounds) and to allow her to learn how to shoot. I'll eventually step up to a 40 S&W or maybe 45 ACP in the near future, but for now the 380 ACP is a fun round to play with.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      91 RRC, 97 GTI
      10-09-2012 12:02 AM #4871
      Picked up a Colt 1903 pocket hammer in 38 ACP today, serial number dates to 1913. Paid $375 for it, 345 new cases, 303 130gr fmj, 3 magazines, a set of faux ivory grips, a brand new set of Lyman dies, 49 Peters jhp, and 28 Winchester super-x fmj.

7. 10-09-2012 03:59 AM #4872
      ^That's an awesome piece right there.

^I suppose I should put my $1500 another way...that's about as much as I'd consider spending on an out of the box quality rifle. I've had some geat rifles for around $900. Beyond $1500 it better start being really damn special.

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      10-09-2012 04:19 AM #4873
      Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerks View Post
      Ohmyholyjesus!!! I was just looking at the standard one yesterday, If I can find one of these it shall be mine!!!
      Glad I could help. Still don't understand their use of normal blued/painted barrel bands on every model, including the stainless models; I know it's nitpicky, but match them...

Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      Yeah, that's me with the Walther PK380. Mine is an older model and isn't affected by the recall. Went shooting yesterday and safety tested it before we began. Safety works fine. It actually has two safety features, one of which is a small key which you can hard lock the trigger. The other safety (the one referred to in the recall) is a cam type setup which prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin. Mine works fine. I had ZERO problems with the gun after going through 50 rounds of standard 95gr FMJ.

Overall, a very fun little pistol to shoot. The 380 ACP (aka 9mm Browning, 9x17mm, 9mm Kurz) doesn't have a lot of recoil but still seems to have enough "punch" to be effective in close. I bought the 380 with the intention of using it as a nightstand weapon for the wife (with hollow point rounds) and to allow her to learn how to shoot. I'll eventually step up to a 40 S&W or maybe 45 ACP in the near future, but for now the 380 ACP is a fun round to play with.
      Good to know, the Walthers seemed to be well-received around here. Take a look at the SR40; I kid you not, it shoots like a compact 9mm. Very controllable and accurate, plus the grip is amazing. For me, .380 seems to be eclipsed by so many other rounds, but it obviously has a market as new models are coming out still. Glad your model's ok.

^That's an awesome piece right there.

^I suppose I should put my $1500 another way...that's about as much as I'd consider spending on an out of the box quality rifle. I've had some geat rifles for around $900. Beyond $1500 it better start being really damn special.
      Seconding the awesome piece sentiment, that is a great find crazysccrmd!!

I'd really have to try and justify anything past $1500; not that I'm cheap, but there would really have to be a true value or jump in quality or needs to get me to purchase past that price point.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      10-09-2012 08:33 AM #4874
      Glad I could help. Still don't understand their use of normal blued/painted barrel bands on every model, including the stainless models; I know it's nitpicky, but match them...

Good to know, the Walthers seemed to be well-received around here. Take a look at the SR40; I kid you not, it shoots like a compact 9mm. Very controllable and accurate, plus the grip is amazing. For me, .380 seems to be eclipsed by so many other rounds, but it obviously has a market as new models are coming out still. Glad your model's ok.

Seconding the awesome piece sentiment, that is a great find crazysccrmd!!

I'd really have to try and justify anything past $1500; not that I'm cheap, but there would really have to be a true value or jump in quality or needs to get me to purchase past that price point.
      You guys are crazy

IMO, if you are spending $1500 on an AR it better be an out of the box, ready to go high end rifle. I pieced together mine for about $950 and I don't believe that a BCM is any less dependable than a Noveske, LaRue, etc. That OBR is certainly an awesome rifle, I'm not trying to take anything away from it - I just don't think you need to pay $1500 to get a rifle that you can depend on. That's assuming you are going after a fighting carbine, anyway - if you are building a target rifle....carry on.

For what its worth, I've read some great things about Palemtto State Armory. The $700 AR apparently runs really well. *shrug*

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      10-09-2012 10:34 AM #4875
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboWraith View Post
      You guys are crazy

IMO, if you are spending $1500 on an AR it better be an out of the box, ready to go high end rifle. I pieced together mine for about $950 and I don't believe that a BCM is any less dependable than a Noveske, LaRue, etc. That OBR is certainly an awesome rifle, I'm not trying to take anything away from it - I just don't think you need to pay $1500 to get a rifle that you can depend on. That's assuming you are going after a fighting carbine, anyway - if you are building a target rifle....carry on.

For what its worth, I've read some great things about Palemtto State Armory. The $700 AR apparently runs really well. *shrug*
      Setting a limit for an AR build and having the money to build it are two verrrrryyyy different things. I was using that as my limit for a target/SPR-style build. For a fighting carbine, sub-$1K-$1100 is easily achievable with rifles like the PSA Patrolman's Carbine that comes with BUIS and Aimpoint.

BCM makes great carbines; I'll be interested to see if it's another 'flavor of the month'/hot item like DD was a few months back, still a great product though. PSA makes a great AR; their 'machinegun steel' barrels are made by FN and I believe their uppers are as well. There's a thread on CalGuns where a few members tried to decipher PSA's suppliers.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.

10-10-2012 04:00 AM #4876
      Pew pew!

Haven't had time to fire it yet but hopefully this weekend.

--------

Anyone have experience/good reviews about STI International firearms?

12. 10-10-2012 04:42 AM #4877
      Good God get that rifle some Magpul MOE furniture stat! What kind of rifle is it?

STI - you mean the cracked out super 1911-esque handguns? I've never heard bad stuff about them, but I don't really read up on them much.

PS: Wraith you guys are missing my point... All of my rifles have been under $1500 (more by the time I added gunsmithing which was a want, not a need). To me, as the other guys have said, $1500 is about as high as I'll go. I also think that's a good point in the market. Beyond that you start really losing buyers I'd guess.

I don't think $1500 is outrageous if the rifle is good quality. Heck I could build a nice BCM for less...or have a BCM rifle with an Aimpoint for $1500-ish. I think they would sell a f_ck ton of SCAR's if they weren't $2400, etc.

This is the same reason I'm still holding out hope for the Beretta ARX-160...which they said was aimed at "well below $2K for a basic model"...we'll see.
      Last edited by Elbows; 10-10-2012 at 04:45 AM.

10-10-2012 05:23 PM #4878
      Can someone explain to me the reasoning why the AR models are so damn expensive compared to say an AK or other "assualt rifle" style weapon? It's been around a looong time, seems like a million different companies make these rifles and parts, and it's not an overly complicated weapon. The market is flooded with them. You go to the local gun show and it's pretty much wall-to-wall AR type rifles. Very few AK or others (at least in my area).

$1000 or even $1500 seems like a lot of money for a semi-auto .223 rifle. I'm by no means a weapons expert, so maybe I'm just totally ignorant of the marketplace but the prices of these guns just seem really high for what it is. Help me understand....what is it that makes them so expensive to own?

Vehicles
      07 F150
      10-10-2012 05:45 PM #4879
      supply and demand.

10-10-2012 06:04 PM #4880
      I get that but it seems like the supply is huge with these. I walk into the local gun store and they have dozens of these rifles sitting on the rack or displayed on the walls. I go to the gun show and literely every seller has at least one AR for sale. It seems like a mass produced rifle.

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      10-10-2012 07:13 PM #4881
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      I get that but it seems like the supply is huge with these. I walk into the local gun store and they have dozens of these rifles sitting on the rack or displayed on the walls. I go to the gun show and literely every seller has at least one AR for sale. It seems like a mass produced rifle.
      I think it's mainly because at shows and gun stores you see overpriced ar models and the junk ak models.

Do some shopping online and you can find a solid ar for 700ish. A quality ak will run you about the same. Both will get you better stuff up to the 1200 mark from what I've seen. That's where the ar market starts to get silly.

Ps elbows, I gotcha. Half poking fun anyway

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 gti 1.8t / 84 rx7sbc
      10-10-2012 07:47 PM #4882
      Quote Originally Posted by crazysccrmd View Post
      Picked up a Colt 1903 pocket hammer in 38 ACP today, serial number dates to 1913. Paid $375 for it, 345 new cases, 303 130gr fmj, 3 magazines, a set of faux ivory grips, a brand new set of Lyman dies, 49 Peters jhp, and 28 Winchester super-x fmj.

Awesome find!!! A part of history that will only go up in value.

Vehicles
      1998 jetta VRT
      10-10-2012 09:43 PM #4883
      . Thinking about getting a sig p220 carry in 45, currently carry a usp 40 full size. Thoughts?
      FastDubs CNY / DUBspot

-my-project-jetta.
      FT VOLK RAYS 16'S

Vehicles
      12 Lexus CT 200h, 07 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
      10-10-2012 10:54 PM #4884
      Quote Originally Posted by puddin_pants View Post
      . Thinking about getting a sig p220 carry in 45, currently carry a usp 40 full size. Thoughts?
      is that shirt from DownRange Firearms Training? thats their slogan, totally dig their youtube channel, and they are certified CombatFocusShooting instructors one of the best defensive shooting training programs imo.

Vehicles
      1998 jetta VRT
      10-10-2012 10:58 PM #4885
      It's from risktakers they did a Colab thing with em, has down range on the lower back
      FastDubs CNY / DUBspot

-my-project-jetta.
      FT VOLK RAYS 16'S

10-11-2012 01:01 AM #4886
      Good God get that rifle some Magpul MOE furniture stat! What kind of rifle is it?
      Bushmaster m4a3 patrolman. Already picked up a couple pmags, rail section (for the grip) and rear iron sight. I plan adding an eotech optic but that's about it.

Vehicles
      97 Black GLX, RIP 97 White 8vT Jetta Trek
      10-11-2012 10:18 PM #4887
      Had a poly bushmaster in my shop a couple days ago for a barrel change. The amount that the receivers flexed upon attempting to remove the stock barrel just made me laugh.

I mean I'm all for shooting cheap, but damn.
      Quote Originally Posted by root beer View Post
      It's Timmy with mmmmMojo, i have returned
      8VALVETURBO - RIP White Jetta

23. 10-14-2012 05:44 PM #4888
      I need more guns so I can keep taking pictures

Last edited by foxtrot762; 10-14-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Vehicles
      Mk1 Jetta GL 16v w/MS
      10-14-2012 11:38 PM #4889
      I would have to say that I love my guns and will protect my house and family with them.

Here is one of my weapons that is close at hand at all times.

My trusty Ruger Super Blackhawk!!

Also have my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9mm ready to go at all times too.

Another pic of them together with the Sub 2k in storage mode.

Great Shirt:

25. 10-15-2012 11:36 AM #4890
      Quote Originally Posted by AJmustDIE View Post
      Had a poly bushmaster in my shop a couple days ago for a barrel change. The amount that the receivers flexed upon attempting to remove the stock barrel just made me laugh.

I mean I'm all for shooting cheap, but damn.
      I noticed the same thing with my BCM upper receiver.. even with the block and the plastic part that strengthens the receiver when tightening the barrel, I was watching it flex.

but the "lower end" DPMS upper I have, with no dust shield and no forward assist is one beefy part, probably couldn't get it to flex if I tried..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138...flat-top-matte

Vehicles
      97 Black GLX, RIP 97 White 8vT Jetta Trek
      10-15-2012 06:50 PM #4891
      It better be beefy, it has nothing else going for it. lol.
      Quote Originally Posted by root beer View Post
      It's Timmy with mmmmMojo, i have returned
      8VALVETURBO - RIP White Jetta

27. 10-15-2012 08:04 PM #4892
      I actually really like that receiver and would use one again, especially if I was building a rifle with its focus for accuracy. its tough and simple and I have no doubt it's additional strength will effect accuracy.

Vehicles
      03 Golf, 94 GS500, 13 WRX
      10-16-2012 05:06 PM #4893
      I think I told someone I'd post pics of my .25-06.

It was built by Ken Farrell of Warsaw, Missouri. It's got a 26" barrel on a VZ.24 receiver, Farrell scope mount, with an older Sightron SIII 6-24x42 scope. I can't remember right now who made the rings. It's got an aftermarket safety, and a Timney trigger. The finish was done using KG gun-kote. It'll shoot .5" groups at 100 yds, and can reliably ding a 12" steel plate at 600 yds using the second mil-dot down from center. When I get the chance I'm going to repaint the stock, it's getting pretty dingy, and I'm thinking about taping the scope with some desert camo pattern tape.
      Last edited by personman; 10-16-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      10-16-2012 05:21 PM #4894
      Quote Originally Posted by puddin_pants View Post
      Thinking about getting a sig p220 carry in 45, currently carry a usp 40 full size. Thoughts?
      Something you might have difficulty stomaching will be the reduction in magazine capacity, the P220 is 8-rds while I believe your USP is 12-rds. IMO, carrying .40 gives close enough ballistics of .45 but without the real estate premium the .45 takes up. So unless you really want to go with a .45, I'd suggest looking at the P229 if you want something more full-size and carry friendly over your USP. I personally like the feel of a Sig over an H&K, and I feel the ergos are smarter justifying the price a bit more. YMMV.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

30. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      10-16-2012 06:16 PM #4895
      Quote Originally Posted by personman View Post
      I think I told someone I'd post pics of my .25-06.

It was built by Ken Farrell of Warsaw, Missouri.
      I was about to stop reading after that point but I HAD to know the details. Anyone who is into long distance shooting knows that Ken Farrell is a freaking legend. I wouldn't sell that gun and if I ever did I would command a huge premium just because of Ken Farrell's name being associated with it. If you don't mind me asking how much did the build cost? PM me if you'd prefer.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      10-16-2012 06:36 PM #4896
      Quote Originally Posted by Obin Robinson View Post
      I was about to stop reading after that point but I HAD to know the details. Anyone who is into long distance shooting knows that Ken Farrell is a freaking legend. I wouldn't sell that gun and if I ever did I would command a huge premium just because of Ken Farrell's name being associated with it. If you don't mind me asking how much did the build cost? PM me if you'd prefer.

obin
      I don't actually have a cost for the build - my dad and Ken had some business dealings for a short time, if I remember correctly they were trying to get Savage to package new guns with Ken's mounts and rings. My dad actually worked on this gun with Ken, and gave it to me as a graduation present when I graduated from high school. My older brother has its twin - a .25-06 in green, and my dad has a .338-06 that they built at the same time.

When I get the money, I think I want to get a set of Ken's rings to put on it, I'm not a huge fan of the vertical-split rings.

Vehicles
      10-16-2012 06:47 PM #4897
      Almost forgot. Here's one of Ken's mounts on my K98. I had a local guy mount it for me, then took it up to Missouri when I had a chance to meet Ken. We went out shooting it and the mount sheared off. I remember getting hit in the face with the scope, wondering wtf just happened. Ken looked at it, and basically said, "We can fix this." He had to re-drill and tap the receiver and go up a thread size on the mounting screws. I've never had a problem with it since then.

Last edited by personman; 10-16-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Vehicles
      84 GTI 1.8t, 88 Audi 90 20vt, 86 Syncro (sold), 90 Corrado G60, '85/'94 'yota pick'em up
      10-16-2012 07:10 PM #4898
      Picked up a FN TPS

Drunkinly wraped my hunting rifle in old t-shirts.... Remington 600 Mowhawk in 308.

34. 10-16-2012 09:33 PM #4899
      Those TPS always look the business don't they?

10-23-2012 11:42 AM #4900
      New toy.

Page 140 of 195 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast