VWVortex

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Off Your Road Cycle

Vehicles
      1985 Golf GL with a 2.0l 16v, 1990 Corrado G60, 2011 Jetta SE
      10-31-2008 02:14 AM #141
      Quote, originally posted by Quattro Krant »
      The PedalForce bike came out great Inoriel

Thanks, I had fun building three of them! The groupbuy last spring brought together a handful of people from the area. So we had a build party! So we setup shop on my backyard porch and had a few beers along the way!

Since I was the only one with any build experience, I ended building all three of them. It was a nice opportunity to build a bike for the first time with SRAM Force and Red.

Modified by lnoriel at 11:15 PM 10-30-2008

1985 MKII Golf GL with 2.0l 16v
      1990 Corrado G60 TEC 2RS
      2011 MKVI Jetta SE
      corradog60project.blogspot.com
      mkiigolfproject.blogspot.com

2. Banned
      10-31-2008 08:22 AM #142
      I much perfer the plain carbon frame that you have, so clean and classy.

3. 10-31-2008 06:07 PM #143
      Quote, originally posted by lnoriel »

Thanks, I had fun building three of them! The groupbuy last spring brought together a handful of people from the area. So we had a build party! So we setup shop on my backyard porch and had a few beers along the way!

Since I was the only one with any build experience, I ended building all three of them. It was a nice opportunity to build a bike for the first time with SRAM Force and Red.

Modified by lnoriel at 11:15 PM 10-30-2008

Great job!!

Vehicles
      13 abarth//90 325iS//20-speed roadie
      11-09-2008 08:07 PM #144
      got my first road bike about a month ago. i'm loving it.

here she is right after my ride today. don't mind my huge saddle bag, i don't like to carry stuff in my jersey pockets.

be safe out there, folks. protect your dome.

5. 11-10-2008 06:26 PM #145
      Quote, originally posted by bora.the.explora »
      got my first road bike about a month ago. i'm loving it.

here she is right after my ride today. don't mind my huge saddle bag, i don't like to carry stuff in my jersey pockets.

be safe out there, folks. protect your dome.

Vehicles
      14 GLI, 13 Passat TDI SEL, 90 Jetta Coupe, 70 Datsun 521
      11-11-2008 12:37 AM #146

when i got it home after building it

Modified by a2lowvw at 9:40 PM 11-10-2008

Quote Originally Posted by 89-digi-jetta View Post
      ya obviouslyn a2lowvw is a douche!!! but of course douches l,ike him hill the scene right

Vehicles
      09 Saab 9-3 2.0t, NA Miata 1.6, 98 Jetta K2
      11-11-2008 06:21 AM #147
      nice bike,but cut down that fork!!

Vehicles
      11-11-2008 09:23 PM #148
      Quote, originally posted by the tech 71 »
      nice bike,but cut down that fork!!

it was done the following week. i went home to the bike shop i used to work at in idaho and picked up the fame anda bunch of the parts for it. went to another shop picked up the wheels and shifters. took it all back to the first shop and borrowed a tool stand. as soon as the parts were together i went and rode the local weekly time trial, rode about 40 miles the following day and brought the bike home.

pics of the area i was riding in

http://www.theslowlane.com/01tripg/lewhil1.html

ya obviouslyn a2lowvw is a douche!!! but of course douches l,ike him hill the scene right

9. 11-11-2008 09:35 PM #149
      oooo I must ride that hill!

Vehicles
      09 Saab 9-3 2.0t, NA Miata 1.6, 98 Jetta K2
      11-11-2008 09:48 PM #150
      Quote, originally posted by drummer5ny »
      oooo I must ride that hill!

yeah, that seriously looks awesome

Vehicles
      11-11-2008 11:45 PM #151
      funny too as that is a horrible picture of the hill, that picture looks to be from the middle of the summer when everything is dead. lewiston's elevation is 747 feet at it lowest point. the grade is about a 2000 +foot climb across 10 miles or so of switchback 2-3 lane road. its very fun ride on a bike, motorcycle, or car.

couple other links that are a little nicer

http://www.geocities.com/vermi....html

http://micapeak.com/rides/spiralhighway.html

Vehicles
      96 GTI VRT, 01 Cabrio
      11-14-2008 09:08 AM #152
      2009 Giant DEFY advanced 1 "small" 16.5lbs with pedals stock other than K-wing and stem...
      It was tough not to buildup a Look frameset, but it rides VERY nice and was far less$$$

13. Global Moderator
      Vehicles
      2008 Cayman S, 2000 S4 & 2010 Touareg TDI
      11-14-2008 02:08 PM #153
      My Evoke - love this bike! Going on it's 5th season. Have a new saddle which is about a 1lb lighter

and my Commuter which I bought this year - now has FSA CF Kwings like my roadbike and the same Selle Italia saddle as my roadbike.

But I honestly spend more time on this with my wife...... which also has different saddles on it, time road pedals for me and cowhorn stoker bars....need to get some new pics up.

14. 11-14-2008 07:26 PM #154
      My two current road bikes. Waiting on a new Trek TTX 9.5 to come in.

ECS Tuning

15. 11-15-2008 11:03 AM #155
      Mines not too fancy. Just got into Road Biking this Spring. Was big into Mountain Biking before with a Gian Warp DS2. But Love the ride of a Road Bike.

Vehicles
      windsorvr
      11-15-2008 02:35 PM #156
      Quote, originally posted by Brendune »
      Mines not too fancy. Just got into Road Biking this Spring. Was big into Mountain Biking before with a Gian Warp DS2. But Love the ride of a Road Bike.

Sure hope thats not the gear you were riding in small chainring in the front and looks to be dam close to small gear in the back too. Dam rear der is almost touching it's own jockey wheels

Where I'm from we don't call 911... I AM 911

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      11-15-2008 03:25 PM #157
      Quote, originally posted by VEEDUBBiNVRSiX »

Sure hope thats not the gear you were riding in small chainring in the front and looks to be dam close to small gear in the back too. Dam rear der is almost touching it's own jockey wheels

Triples are mad tyte yo.

$210 for that jersey.

Sent from my basement using two tin cans and a string.

18. 11-15-2008 03:41 PM #158
      Nothing wrong w/ triples for your first road bike... but it does look a little odd in the shot... =\

19. 11-15-2008 03:54 PM #159
      Quote, originally posted by SpeedyD »

Triples are mad tyte yo.

$210 for that jersey.

No worries. I got that Jersey from Ebay for 45 Shipped. Its just a knock of but the material is the same as my Canari Jerseys. I figured for a top and padded shorts, not a bad deal.

20. 11-15-2008 03:56 PM #160
      Quote, originally posted by feint »
      Nothing wrong w/ triples for your first road bike... but it does look a little odd in the shot... =\

I guess this where I say I am a nOOb to the Road Bike scene. But not sure why it looks odd in the shot because of the triples? Schhol me please! ha ha. Love to learn!

21. 11-15-2008 04:22 PM #161
      Even double chainrings look strange to me.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      11-15-2008 06:20 PM #162
      Quote, originally posted by Brendune »

I guess this where I say I am a nOOb to the Road Bike scene. But not sure why it looks odd in the shot because of the triples? Schhol me please! ha ha. Love to learn!

Quote, originally posted by VEEDUBBiNVRSiX »

Dam rear der is almost touching it's own jockey wheels

Your rear derailleur cage is horizontal because it's wrapping so much chain. The upper jockey wheel is touching (or damn close) the chain. Look at the other bikes in this thread - their cages are generally vertical.

23. 11-15-2008 06:56 PM #163

Triples are mad tyte yo.

$210 for that jersey.

Nothing wrong with a triple. I used to work in a really high end shop and had lots of customers who were better suited to a triple. Not my thing at all, I like them about as much as I like compact cranks (both suck) but for some people it's either a necessity or a good place to start road biking. Not everyone is a road racer. People who make fun of them make me laugh. I'd love to see someone who says "triples are mad tyte yo" hop on my 56/44 and climb a hill. Usually changes their tunes real quick.

Also, is there something wrong with rock gear? Or people who spend money on high end clothing gear? I know my ass won't get into cheap shorts, pants, jerseys or anything else for various reasons. If there is I'd love to know what it is.

Modified by VR6~aholic at 6:58 PM 11-15-2008

ECS Tuning

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      11-15-2008 09:05 PM #164
      Quote, originally posted by VR6~aholic »

I'd love to see someone who says "triples are mad tyte yo" hop on my 56/44 and climb a hill. Usually changes their tunes real quick.

I climbed a 22% grade with a 42-21 at 190 lbs. as part of a 65 mile extremely hilly ride that I finished in a bit over 3 hours with one other guy at the front. My 42 is barely dirty, I don't think I'd have a problem with your 44. Roll your eyes at somebody else.

I'd rock a Rock jersey if they weren't obscenely overpriced. $200 for shorts, OK. $200 for a jersey? Come on.

It was the combination of the "badass" Rock gear and the triple that had me chuckling.

25. 11-16-2008 08:10 AM #165
      Quote, originally posted by DURELL »

Most of your braking comes from the front. Basic, basic science. It also looks like you paired a V-brake lever with a road caliper. Super narrow bars=less leverage for real climbing and less hand positions for rides longer than around the block. And there is no chain guide/watcher on the front ring, making it very likely that the chain will come off during anything but gliding down smooth pavement. Damn, be careful on that thing

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      11-16-2008 10:08 AM #166

For some reason I really like this. Although I do agree with the comment above about the chain guides. I'd get one of the seat tube mounted ones and one for the cranks aswell. And as far as the brakes, on my old SS I ran v levers with road calipers and they worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      02 SVT Focus: Jackson Racing supercharged (SOLD )
      91 318is
      93 525iT

27. 11-16-2008 10:10 AM #167

I climbed a 22% grade with a 42-21 at 190 lbs. as part of a 65 mile extremely hilly ride that I finished in a bit over 3 hours with one other guy at the front. My 42 is barely dirty, I don't think I'd have a problem with your 44. Roll your eyes at somebody else.

I'd rock a Rock jersey if they weren't obscenely overpriced. $200 for shorts, OK. $200 for a jersey? Come on.

It was the combination of the "badass" Rock gear and the triple that had me chuckling.

First of all... did you miss the statement about how the guy was new to road riding this spring? So he's on a triple. Big deal. He's on a bike. Who cares what it's set up with. Not everyone is a seasoned pro such as yourself. If he's comfortable riding a triple, all the power to him. Maybe next year he'll get into a double. If not, oh well. Again, he's riding a bike!

So is this the part where I say that I ride WAY more than you so 65 miles in 3+ hours doesn't impress me? No. I think good for you. Not a lot of people can accomplish that. This sport is supposed to be a team like atmosphere, not a way to attack someone who wears or rides something that you think is "mad tyte"

R&R is a new team. Their gear is outrageously expensive. I'd bet in a year or so when they're a little more established the pricing comes down. Personally I wouldn't have an issue spending that on a kit as long as it supports the team. So when Brendune said it was a knock off did you feel like a dumbass? Even if it wasn't, he likes it and it's showing team support. Cycling in North America sucks as it is. The more people wear kits, the more awareness there will be. Again, it falls into the category of he's riding, who cares if he's riding or wearing something you don't like. Do you wear cheap gear? I know I don't. I only buy the best of the best because it's what lasts and is comfortable. I ride with people who ride bikes I would never touch due to bad personal experience. Oh well. Some people don't like Trek and I've had a few of them. We don't ride along making smart comments at each other. Come out and ride a unicycle. Who cares.

It's no different than people on here bashing each other for what type of dub they drive. We're all here because of a common interest. Volkswagen. I don't care if you rock a bug, bus, or even a jetta wagon. To each their own. The two best experiences I've ever had have been getting into cycling and getting into VW. The two groups of people have been the coolest and friendliest bunch of people ever. Let's try to keep it that way.

ECS Tuning

28. 11-16-2008 11:27 AM #168
      Quote, originally posted by B3passatBMX »

For some reason I really like this. Although I do agree with the comment above about the chain guides. I'd get one of the seat tube mounted ones and one for the cranks aswell. And as far as the brakes, on my old SS I ran v levers with road calipers and they worked just fine.

Well, V-brake (direct pull) levers have more mechanical advantage than canti/road type levers--they pull twice as much cable. You have to pull the lever twice as hard as a canti/road lever. Some combinations will kind of work,. This rig, with only one brake (sketchy setup and on the wrong wheel), a freewheel/cassette, etc., is dangerous.

29. 11-17-2008 10:43 AM #169
      Quote, originally posted by 2.0 »

Most of your braking comes from the front. Basic, basic science. It also looks like you paired a V-brake lever with a road caliper. Super narrow bars=less leverage for real climbing and less hand positions for rides longer than around the block. And there is no chain guide/watcher on the front ring, making it very likely that the chain will come off during anything but gliding down smooth pavement. Damn, be careful on that thing

thanks for the comments......but an updated photo of the bike would show only one change really and that is that i have moved the rear brake to the front. the bars are old anodized blue Hyperlytes that are not super narrow.......I can say that climbing is probally one of my favorite things to do and the bars provide plenty of climbing leverage along with an old set of controll stixx bar ends that i have cut down to stubs. The lever and brake combo work well with plenty but not to much float in the lever, and only on a couple of accasion has the chain derailed over the 3 years i have been riding this one.........I am able to duke it out with the majority of the jersey riders in the A- group here at the local bike shop.......I do get a lot of looks from them when i show up....but they do seem to come back down to earth when they see me hanging with them and at times when i instigate the fight for the town line........

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      11-17-2008 11:09 AM #170

but they do seem to come back down to earth when they see me hanging with them and at times when i instigate the fight for the town line........

What size gear are you running?

31. 11-17-2008 02:52 PM #171
      What size gear are you running?

39 tooth chainring with 7 various speed selection's @ 11-13-15-18-21-24-28......

32. 11-24-2008 03:56 PM #172
      Quote, originally posted by rscshakespeare »
      i race in europe......... it is older but rides very well...... [IMG][IMG]

33. 11-27-2008 03:45 PM #173
      Here are a couple of my Colnago's: A C35 and a CF3

Ciao....... Dino
      http://www.VelocePerformance.com

Modified by Ingenere at 12:48 PM 11-27-2008

Modified by Ingenere at 12:49 PM 11-27-2008

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 1992 Golf 2 door
      11-27-2008 05:09 PM #174
      I have 2 one of me in action, and one of my bike

here is the other

FS - OZ M-191 Center Cap - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post77384355
      Diesel Dub Club #38 || Euro Style || MK2 Militia ||

35. 12-01-2008 08:26 PM #175
      and my giant....

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast