Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Snow Performance Water Meth Kit

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-01-2008 11:07 PM #1
      So I decided about 2 weeks ago that the next big mod for my Wolfsburg 1.8t would be the SnowPerformance Water Meth Injection Kit. I also bought the Dual Nozzle Mount Kit from Scott at USRT. He's a great guy, very very helpful! While installing the kit I took lots of pictures and decided to to a brief write up on what it took to install. Also I recieved lots of help from SAVwKO as well! Props to both!
      Also check out...
      HSTuning
      USRT

.................................................. ...

Now... lets get started!

First thing I did was remove the battery cover, HID ballasts, and intake filter.

The next step was removing the front bumper and grill. For me there were 2 screws holding the corners of the grill, and some adhesive strip across the bottom. Theres the 4 hex screws under each wheel well, and 3 across the front under the grill. Then slide the bumper forward and remove the bulbs out of the corner markers. It looks like thiswhen youre done...

You can see in the third picture the space infront of the wheel well.. Thats where I decided to mount the pump.

Next I mounted the control box on the fender side of the battery cover. I threaded the holes on the control box and used a screw from the inside out.

With the control box mounted I moved on to pump mounting. I chose the drivers side under the frame rail. With all 4 rubber bumpers seated on the framerail I simply used an adjustable clamp to secure it around the pump. Much easier than drilling and having to get a nut on the back side (Inside the Framerail). The pump is just as secure as if I screwed it on.

Next I removed the washer fluid resovwar for modification and use with the kit. There are 2 plastic blots holding it into place. One on the top towards the fender, and one on the bottom on the framerail. Then disconnect the 2 sensors and youre good to remove it. Heres a picture with it out...

And a different angle...

With the resovwar out I drilled the appropriate size hole in the bottom in the middle of the rubber grommet. Installed the threaded hose adapter (The real name slipped my mind... sorry.) Make sure to fill the grommet with "goo" sealant. It took a little while for the goo to dry so in the meantime I installed the solenoid.
      Heres a pic of the resovwar installed again.

Installing the solenoid was fairly easy. Drilled a small hole in the metal under the framerail and used some threadlock on the screw securing it up to the top.

I tucked the pressure tube under the front of the car. If you reach over the edge behind the latch mechanism you can feel where it goes under... Thats where I tucked it.

Now lets begin wiring the control box... I like to have ONE nice clean harnes so Im going to describe how I did that. First off... there are 4 colored wires coming from the control box...
      YELLOW: Unused
      RED: Ignition... 12v
      GREEN: Goes to RED wire coming from the pump
      BLACK: Ground

I cut the yellow wire shortly after tucking it into the shielding. So now you have a GREEN and BLACK wire going down. The green wire meets up with the red wire from the pump, and also either BLACK wire from the SOLENOID.
      Now you have 3 grounds left...
      -Control Box GROUND
      -Pump GROUND
      -Solenoid GROUND

I bundled all three of them together and grounded them on the same metal that secures the solenoid.

With that done we move onto the LED inside, and Ignition 12v. I brought the wires in through the same hole in the firewall that I used to bring power to the sound system so it was fairly easy. The best way is to use a metal coat hanger with a small string on the end. Simply fish it through the hole, then use the string to tie the wire to the end of the hanger... then just pull it back. I used a wire tap to get power from the GREEN wire.

Now... as for the supplied GREEN LED... I didnt like the face that the kit comes with GREEN... Nothing else in the car is GREEN, it just looks ghetto to say the least. I decided to take a trip to Radioshack lol. For less than $4 I was set up with a new BLUE Super Bright LED and a Holder. There have also been ALOT of problems with people putting in the LED and having it not work. Heres the thing...
      LEDs like the supplied one run at about 3.7 volts. When the pump turns on the GREEN wire that you tapped into is going to supply the LED with 12 volts of power... Thats about 3x the MAX power. More than enough to fry it instantly. What you need to do is get a 470ohm 1/2w resistor and wire that in before the LED. (Will update with more pics soon). My camera was having trouble so Ill try to get more pictures tomorrow lol.

I placed the LED inside next to the center consol guages, and got it all wired up. 12v on one side with the wired resistor, and the other side goes to ground!

Heres the finished product...

I am waiting to get the Passenger side intercooler pipe bung welded tomorrow mourning so I can mount the nozzle there and also in the Throttle Body. I will finish the write up tomorrow and hopefully get some logs posted up the day after! Keep an eye on this thread for updates in the next couple of days!

While waiting for the welding I also cleaned and polished my FMIC, and te piping... as well as painted the radiator supports black to make it a little harder to see behind the grill. I also got new couplers to replace the faded blue/green/brownish ones that were on there...

Polishing the NOS sprayer...

Painting the radiator supports too

All back together... Sooooo much more shiney! Love it!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

Modified by MK4WolfsburgJetta at 2:12 PM 9-12-2008

Water/Meth Install

2001 Wolfsburg, APR 93 Tune, k03s Turbo, High Flow Mannifold, Turbo Inlet Pipe, FMIC, Down Pipe, 3" Exhaust, Apexi Avc-R @ 20psi, Diode Modded, Water/Meth Injection - 2 nozzel, 4bar FPR, Advanced Timing, BOV, Stage 2 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel.

2. 09-01-2008 11:16 PM #2
      first post

Vehicles
      04 GLI
      09-02-2008 12:16 AM #3
      sick write up........ I will def be using it when i get my kit... eventually
      STROKED 35r

4. 09-02-2008 07:39 PM #4
      nice write upppppppp

Vehicles
      BMP20th/00 chevy tahoe
      09-02-2008 08:45 PM #5
      I like the writeup what intercooler is that it looks like a nice fit.
      20th Build ~9:5:1 wiseco 81mm forge pisons~IE 20mm rifle drilled H beams~Calico rod bearing~stock port AWP head matched to a IE intake manifold~hemi throttlebody~Custom downpipe/turboback~Self maestro tuned~tial 38mm wastegate~GT3076r .63ar Vband~6 puck Clutchnet~PTE600~USRT 1000cc gen2's~044 IE surge assembly~IE fuelrail~fuelab adjustable FPR

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-02-2008 10:17 PM #6
      Its a godspeed FMIC, 28x6x2.5... Fits PERFECTLY! The tubing is perfectly centered in the cut outs. I love it!

PicForClicks

Ik... Fill the hood notch lol.

Water/Meth Install

2001 Wolfsburg, APR 93 Tune, k03s Turbo, High Flow Mannifold, Turbo Inlet Pipe, FMIC, Down Pipe, 3" Exhaust, Apexi Avc-R @ 20psi, Diode Modded, Water/Meth Injection - 2 nozzel, 4bar FPR, Advanced Timing, BOV, Stage 2 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel.

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-03-2008 07:10 PM #7
      Scott if youre reading this i could use some more pressure tube. Preferibly BLUE... If not blue some more red will be ok! Thanks!
      Water/Meth Install

8. 09-03-2008 09:50 PM #8
      Def a good write up! I would of come over and helped knowing that you are in Titusville.

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-03-2008 11:57 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by judoGTI »
      Def a good write up! I would of come over and helped knowing that you are in Titusville.

No Kidding. Im still waiting on more pressure tube to finish it up. I need to get some welding done on the IC pipe after the intercooler too. I tested the LED and all my wiring tonight. Its all works GREAT. The resistors definitely do the trick with the LED the kit comes with... I also re-wired the plastic CRAP off of my fuel rail. Going to post pics possibly later tonight... if not, tomorrow.

Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-07-2008 07:09 PM #10
      So after finishing up the install I am very very happy with the results! The car feels like a bat out of hell, and I havent even advanced the timing yet! This has definitely been my favorite mod to this day! Later this week I will be posting timing logs later this week so be paitent... I would also like to once again thank Scott at USRT for giving me such a great deal on not only all his products, but the endless bank of knowledge about water/methanol injection! Seriously check out their site! I also want to thank SAVwKO for lots of advice on my install aswell. Props to both! Now lets finish this project...

The next step for me was to install the throttle plate adapter that came with the kit. I dont have a million pics of the install, because its pretty self explanatory. Simply remove the 4 bolts secureing the TB, and pull it away from the intake maniifold enough to slip in the throttle plate adapter (TPA). Make sure you gave a gasket on both sides of the new TPA for an air tight seal. Once the TB is securely mounted again usung the supplied LONGER bolts I applied a little Goop th the threads of the nozzle and threaded it down in there. Heres some completed pics...

Now all that was left was to get the bung welded to the passenger side IC pipe. Removed it once again and got a buddy to drive me to BTs Welding. These guys are awesome! I was in and out in 15min and they charged me $11.00! Couldnt beat that! Re-install the IC pipe and with a little Goop on the threads youre ready to mount that second nozzle. Sorry the pics came out a little blurry, but you get the idea.

I next ran the nylon tube the same rout as from the resovwar to the pump, now only from the solenoud to the T. The T then splits the tube to go to both nozzles. Heres some more pics of the finished install.

So with that done I got a little bored. It was raining and night, and not really a good time to test the set up. I decided to clean up the Fuel Rail a little bit. Basically took off that plastic guide that the that wire harness sits in and hid it. Disconnected the MAP sensor on the IC, there was a sensor on the TB, I think a cam position sensor, and a couple more... cant remember. But point is I disconnected them all and hid the wires under the fuel rail. I used some wire shielding to still keep them safe from the heat. Heres a pictire before...

And heres the after shots...

IMO looks soooo much cleaner. Just a little of the Mothers polish and some elbow grease got me all shined up!

And heres a couple better pics of the inside LED and gauges. Then tied into the pics of my new racing seats...

And what write up would not be complete without a little WHOREING lol

***EDIT***

So I just re-did the controll box to read MAF signal due to the fact that with BOOST signal it would NOT turn the spray on until about 9-10psi no matter how low I had the controll box set at... all I can say is WOW! I was turning the pump on just touching the gas pedal when I had it set to 1.5v! Crazy! Its super touchy, but once I got it dialed in it was great. I set the "full on" all the way up at 5v, and "initial on" at about 3v... Going to delete all my logs, and re-do them with it starting at 0* advance, and the go from there! tomorrow though... Im very tired lol.

Oh BTW.... If your looking into what wire to tap its the BLACK one #5.

Modified by MK4WolfsburgJetta at 10:46 PM 9-10-2008

Water/Meth Install

11. 09-07-2008 10:47 PM #11
      Looks good man, no problem closing the hood with that nozzle so high?

Do you not have a washer fluid res now?

How fast are you going through a tank? PRobably dont know that quite yet, but keep us posted.

I meant to call Scott a few weeks ago but unexpected bills so I get to wait...

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-07-2008 11:33 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by judoGTI »
      Looks good man, no problem closing the hood with that nozzle so high?

Do you not have a washer fluid res now?

How fast are you going through a tank? PRobably dont know that quite yet, but keep us posted.

I meant to call Scott a few weeks ago but unexpected bills so I get to wait...

Thanks dude!
      No problems closing the hood although at first I thought I might...
      I have been advanceing the timing and getting some logs the last 2 days... meaning alot of WOT and I havent even gone through a quarter tank.
      And as for the washer fluid... first I never used that. I wash the car enough to keep the bugs off, or I use windex or something, but if I were in a crises situation, I found out that most washer fluid contains meth anyways... alot of ppl just spray -20 washer fluid. I chose the 50% distilled water and 50% Heet (basically its 99% methanol). It works great!1

Modified by MK4WolfsburgJetta at 8:26 PM 9-8-2008

Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-09-2008 10:56 PM #13
      First 2 logs with a 3* advance and the pump coming on at 12psi. Not too good...

These 2 are with the same 3* advance, but the pump coming on at 9psi...

Im going to re-adjust tomorrow and see if I can get ALL the timing pull to go away.

Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      04.5 VW GLI 1.8T
      09-10-2008 01:55 AM #14
      Nice write up. Why did you choose to go with 2 nozzles? Why one in the TB and one in the IC piping? Sorry, just curious

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-10-2008 09:06 AM #15
      The one after the IC gets me the best cooling, and the one after the TB is best for keeping predetonation down... With one nozzle you have to pick which one you want more of. I wanted both aspects so I went with 2 nozzles... plus it looks awesome
      Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      BMP20th/00 chevy tahoe
      09-10-2008 10:46 AM #16
      heet is more like 40% methanol I remember looking into it.
      20th Build ~9:5:1 wiseco 81mm forge pisons~IE 20mm rifle drilled H beams~Calico rod bearing~stock port AWP head matched to a IE intake manifold~hemi throttlebody~Custom downpipe/turboback~Self maestro tuned~tial 38mm wastegate~GT3076r .63ar Vband~6 puck Clutchnet~PTE600~USRT 1000cc gen2's~044 IE surge assembly~IE fuelrail~fuelab adjustable FPR

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta 2.0T, Mk1 Scirocco 16v, 323 GTX
      09-10-2008 11:01 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Budsdubbin »
      heet is more like 40% methanol I remember looking into it.

This is incorrect. The percentage is 99%. Here's is the Material Safety Data Sheet for the product. The 1% of "extra" stuff increases the specific gravity and facilitates settling to the bottom of the gas tank. There it finds water into which it mixes so as to protect the fuel lines from icing solid during winter.

Scott F. Williams, Team Director
      US Rally Team
      www.facebook.com/usrallyteam

Vehicles
      98 M3
      09-10-2008 11:13 AM #18
      ^That's a cool little factoid lol

Vehicles
      BMP20th/00 chevy tahoe
      09-10-2008 12:14 PM #19
      glad thats cleared up

20. 09-10-2008 01:47 PM #20
      Scott is also made of 99% methanol. Strange but true.

Vehicles
      2000 Golf 1.8t (HEATHEN)
      09-10-2008 06:23 PM #21
      Nice write up, I'd like to see what supporting mods you have and maybe some before and after dynos.

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-10-2008 06:37 PM #22
      Where to start lol....

APR 93 octain file
      K03s Turbo
      Silverline 3" exhaust (catless)
      3" downpipe
      Samco TIP
      FMIC
      NOS Intercooler Mister
      Lemmiwinks Tuned Advanced Timing
      Water/Meth

I think thats about it performance wise.... some other small stuff that doest really add hp... Catch can, BOV..... etc.

Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-10-2008 09:33 PM #23
      Reply to Egis PM

First of all... have you logged block 020 on vag-com...? Thats the block that moniters your timing pull. What COULD be happening is you advanced 4.5*, but the ECU freaks out and pulls timing lets say 8*. So in reality, even though you advance the timing 4.5* youre really at a 3.5* retarding. That may be why you feel no power difference. Thats the boat Im in right now. Im actually in the shop working on it lol.
      1. Do you have your controller set up on the Boost reading, or MAF reading?
      2. Are you on your stock turbo?

Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-11-2008 02:29 PM #24
      New logs since I switched to the MAF reference for the control box. It is much more responsive. There is no doubt in my mind that with a small fast spooling turbo such as my k03s, this is the way to go! Not the boost reference. Boost reference is better used in big turbo set ups.

For the tuning I went back to start...

Heres a log of my APR 93 octain file, 0* timing advance.

Im going to start advancing it this afternoon. More logs to come!

Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      BMP20th/00 chevy tahoe
      09-11-2008 07:23 PM #25
      I learned that aswell now put it on 100oct. already and really push it!

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-11-2008 07:25 PM #26
      Haha if I could find some
      Water/Meth Install

27. Member
      09-11-2008 09:50 PM #27
      reply to MK4WolfsburgJetta
      1.I have MAF based,stage 2 snow perform kit.
      2.Yes i'm on stock ko3 sport turbo.
      and because i don't have my own vag-com i don't remember the loggs of block 020.Polskihetzen helped me to do the work.i can ask him what's the deal.

Modified by egis at 6:55 PM 9-11-2008

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-12-2008 01:58 AM #28
      ORIGINAL POST: (egis) hi guy.I would like to ask you about that snow performance stage 2 kit(MAF).I have the same kit, i advanced my timing 4.5 degree and to be honest with you,i feel no difference.I was on the drag strip and my time is about the same.What you think should i add more boost to feel the benefits of snow or what?did you increased your boost?i have all bolt-ons like you except i run high flow cat.your help would appreciated.

.................................................. ..

Heres what Im thinking. Couple of things....
      First of all, you HAVE to have a vag-com running on your car when youre advancing timing. This is a must! Although you have a w/m kit to supress detonation... youre really just advancing blindly. That can be dangerous. In my case, the w/m was coming on too late and my car was pulling tons of timing. So it felt weak.
      I would put your timing back to 0* and start with a log with no w/m. You could be potentially hurting your car right now with a 4.5* advance...
      You have to get a baseline, before and after picture.
      Also, what size nozzles are you running... Im using the 175ml after the IC, and the 100 after the TB. If youre combine nozzle size is much more than 250ml you are probably using too much w/m for the ammount of air going into your motor. And the one after the TB should be the smaller of the two. You could always turn the pump pressure down. If the car lags, theres a good chance thats whats happening... Again, get a vag-com on there and see EXACTLY whats going on... otherwise its just "guessing". No real facts. Ill be advancing timing on my car tomorrow mourning when it gets a little hotter out. Ill post logs after that.
      It could also be that the car is pulling more timing than you put in, so in effect making it slower. But once more... only a vag-com can tell you whats really going on.
      Keep me posted dude! Well get it done my friend.

Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      09-12-2008 08:42 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by egis »
      i advanced my timing 4.5 degree and to be honest with you,i feel no difference. I was on the drag strip and my time is about the same.What you think should i add more boost to feel the benefits of snow or what?

No scan tool = groping around in the dark guessing. The butt dyno is not sufficient to fine tuning with WAI. Period. Secondly, if you're not turning up the boost you're missing more than half the point. Crank it up and then advance the timing to dial it in.

US Rally Team

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI/CW
      09-12-2008 10:34 AM #30
      shiit, hid drop-in ??
      1999 new beetle for sale. $2,500 only

31. 09-12-2008 10:42 AM #31
      Quote, originally posted by oj1480 »
      shiit, hid drop-in ??

Beat it troll.

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-12-2008 11:47 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by Scott@USRT »
      No scan tool = groping around in the dark guessing. The butt dyno is not sufficient to fine tuning with WAI. Period. Secondly, if you're not turning up the boost you're missing more than half the point. Crank it up and then advance the timing to dial it in.

Agreed.
      You will feel the most gains from advanced timing, and more boost! Although colder intake temps help... you wont feel too much of a difference!

Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-12-2008 11:13 PM #33
      Here they are... My friend Josh (dubkid) and I decided to go out tonight and see what we could do with the timing. Here are the logs... Ended TONIGHT with a 4.5* advance on a 4th gear pull. Im going to tune the pump a little more and see what I can do tomorrow. Stay posted.
      Scott, what do you think...? Any advice to get some more out of it...? Thanks!

Water/Meth Install

Vehicles
      09-13-2008 09:11 AM #34
      Sam, can you display your graph with air flow volume plotted on the same axis and simultaneously with rpm? Showing them superimposed would be very helpful. Secondly, what ratio of water/methanol are you using? Third, you did these runs with the pump pressure held at the same as before (when you were using MAP input) or is it higher/lower?
      US Rally Team

Vehicles
      01 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-13-2008 10:44 AM #35
      Quote, originally posted by Scott@USRT »
      Sam, can you display your graph with air flow volume plotted on the same axis and simultaneously with rpm? Showing them superimposed would be very helpful. Secondly, what ratio of water/methanol are you using? Third, you did these runs with the pump pressure held at the same as before (when you were using MAP input) or is it higher/lower?

WHat block is the air flow volume so I can graph that with the rpm? Also in the PM you mentioned something about engine load...?

I tried to get as close to 50/50 as possible, but I believe Im running a little more water than meth... about 60/40.

And yes these runs were done at 150 psi on the pump.

Thanks!

Water/Meth Install

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast