Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: '98 VW GOLF MKIII HEATER BLOWER-BLOWN?!? PLEASE HELP.

1. 09-02-2008 03:03 AM #1
      GREETINGS,

MY 98 VW GOLF - 4CYL. HEATER FAN STOPPED WORKING TODAY FOR NO APPARENT REASON. IT WAS WORKING ON THE WAY HOME FROM WORK YESTERDAY AND NOT WORKING ON THE WAY TO WORK TODAY.
      I CHECKED THE #6 FUSE FOR THE BLOWER FAN, AND IT'S FINE.
      THIS LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THAT THE BLOWER MOTOR OR THE RESISTER HAS DIED.
      I HAVE NOTICED OVER THE LAS FEW MONTHS, THAT AFTER WASHING THE CAR, WATER GETS INTO THE BLOWER FAN PASSAGES...TO THE POINT WHERE WATER HAS COME OUT OF THE AIR VENTS TO DRIVERS AND FRONT PASSENGERS FEET WHEN FLOOR VENTS ARE SELECTED AND THE FAN IS BLOWING.
      MY CAR IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH AIR CONDITIONING.
      I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR THE FAN OR THE RESISTOR...NOR DO I KNOW HOW TO GAIN ACCESS TO THEM.
      I AM HANDY WITH A WRENCH, BUT I AM NOT A MECHANIC BY ANY MEANS...ANY ASSISTANCE OR GUIDANCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS,
      DAVE

(ps -forgive me for having the caps lock on...I am not trying to yell or come across as rude. I'm just not a very good typest and don't want to retype it all.)

2. 09-02-2008 03:08 AM #2
      1. Stop yelling.

2. The resistor is usually bad when the fan blows at the same speed, whether you are on 1, 2, 3, etc.

Sounds like the motor went.

It's up, under the dash on the passenger side.

Get into the passenger footwell, and you should see it. Should look something like this.

3. 09-02-2008 04:35 AM #3
      Thanks for your help.

Can you tell me how to remove the blower motor? Is it behind the plastic pannels or is it in plain sight under the passenger footwell?
      Are there anything precautions I should take before undertaking the job...(does the negative terminal need to be disconnected first for example)?

Any idea why water is getting in there? Do you have any suggestions to prevent that from happening? I'd sure like to fix that before the rainy season hits us again.

thanks again,
      Dave

4. 09-02-2008 04:45 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by DAVE M. »
      Thanks for your help.

Can you tell me how to remove the blower motor? Is it behind the plastic pannels or is it in plain sight under the passenger footwell?
      Are there anything precautions I should take before undertaking the job...(does the negative terminal need to be disconnected first for example)?

Any idea why water is getting in there? Do you have any suggestions to prevent that from happening? I'd sure like to fix that before the rainy season hits us again.

thanks again,
      Dave

I can't tell you if it is behind plastic panels, I don't have a HVAC unit in my car, but from memory, I believe there is a plastic panel you have to remove. Don't worry about disconnecting the battery. Just turn off the car. Unplug the motor, remove the usual 3 bolts holding it on, and put the new one in.

The water could be the drain clogged, but I'm pretty sure that's an A/C drain that is right there. And you said you do not have A/C.

Try it anyway. In the engine bay, at the back, you will see a piece of metal heat shielding on the firewall. Look all the way at the bottom of that, you will see a U shaped flap. Stick a hanger or something in there. See if gunk comes out

5. 09-02-2008 05:17 AM #5
      You've been most helpful.
      I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know how it works out for me.

6. 09-02-2008 08:18 PM #6

I may actually have a DIY of me doing it in my old jetta.