Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rear caliper question/ 2006 Jetta

1. 09-03-2008 02:33 PM #1
      I am trying to replace the rear brake pads for my g/f 2006 (late model) Jetta but have come into a problem. I have, or so I thought, all the tools I needed from working on my own 03 GTi. But once I got under the car I realized that the only bolts that look as if they are holding the caliper into place are Reverse socket bolts. I have up to a 12mm but that is still to small. Am I even right for thinking this is the caliper retaining bolts? I don't see anything else that holds caliper in place. The only other bolts are keeping the caliper halves together. If it is the reverse socket bolt then what size is it? Looks like a 14mm but no one I have called has one in stock. Suggestions?

Vehicles
      VW Jetta TDI 2006
      09-03-2008 03:28 PM #2
      I think I have the same problem.

3. 09-04-2008 01:19 PM #3
      You don't need to take out the triple square bolts if you're just changing pads only. There are two bolts with 13mm heads that hold caliper to carrier..you also need a thin 15mm open end wrench (I ground down an old wrench) to hold the guide pin head while you loosen the bolts. These are one time use bolts (they have locking compound on them), but I've just reused em with some Locktite Blue on the threads. If you need to pull the carriers to change rotors, the triple squre carrier mount bolts are removed with a 14mm bit...SnapOn STSM14E (I flagged down a SnapOn truck to get mine to do front suspension bolts). These bolts are one time use stretch bolts part # N-910-068-02 you need get get 4 from the dealer B4 pulling the caliper carriers.
      PS: When you change the pads..pull the guide pins outa the carriers and clean 'em up good and swab out the bores in the carriers with Q tips. Then grease the guide pins with "synthetic caliper grease"..not lubing these often causes brake drag as the calipers hang up and don't fully retract off the pads..premature wear and possible degradation of rear wheel bearing lube from excess heat wil result!

Modified by spitpilot at 10:24 AM 9-4-2008
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

4. 09-04-2008 05:05 PM #4
      I will take another look to see what I might have missed. Thank you.

Vehicles
      2013 passat tdi se
      09-04-2008 11:03 PM #5
      the late 2006 models dont require a thin 15mm wrench (worked on mine today with a craftsman 15mm right out of tool box)

6. 09-05-2008 09:59 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by TDIMARK »
      the late 2006 models dont require a thin 15mm wrench (worked on mine today with a craftsman 15mm right out of tool box)
      Great..VW finally figured out what stock wrench thickness was and increased the height of the flats on the guide pins...thanks VW!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!