Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.5 Timing belt or timing chain

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      09-09-2008 09:04 PM #1
      I was wondering if the VW 2.5 uses a timing belt or timing chain?

Vehicles
      06' Rabbit
      09-09-2008 09:07 PM #2
      chain.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      09-09-2008 09:29 PM #3
      so if its a timing chain it doesn't need to be replaced at 105K like the old 2.0 115HP?

Vehicles
      06' Rabbit
      09-10-2008 06:32 AM #4
      check your manual, but i think 105K sounds about right for replacement.

5. 09-10-2008 07:05 AM #5
      I don't recall seeing anything in my manual about scheduled replacement of the chain.

The usual regime with a chain is to replace it when needed if it wears; you'd know that because the timing will become a little sloppy resulting in a rough idle. Why would you need to replace it on a schedule since, unlike a belt, it's not going to break completely?

6. 09-10-2008 12:03 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by BuddyWh »
      Why would you need to replace it on a schedule since, unlike a belt, it's not going to break completely?

Don't count on that...I had a Chevy company station wagon throw one row of its two row timing chain..chain went right thru the front cover and massive oil leak insued!

96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI 6spd. Wife 2011 TDI Sportwagen
      09-10-2008 12:45 PM #7
      I don't recall seeing anything in my manual about scheduled replacement of the chain.

The usual regime with a chain is to replace it when needed if it wears; you'd know that because the timing will become a little sloppy resulting in a rough idle. Why would you need to replace it on a schedule since, unlike a belt, it's not going to break completely?

chains shouldn't need to be replaced ever. over time and miles, guides can break. on VR6 the chains can go anywhere from 120k-200k. i know someone who never replaced the chains and the car has 250k on it.
      i don't know about the 2.5 though. i haven't seen anyone needed them yet.
      i doubt your problem is the chains. do you have a cel?

8. 09-10-2008 01:48 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by 2ohgti »

chains shouldn't need to be replaced ever. over time and miles, guides can break. on VR6 the chains can go anywhere from 120k-200k. i know someone who never replaced the chains and the car has 250k on it.
      i don't know about the 2.5 though. i haven't seen anyone needed them yet.
      i doubt your problem is the chains. do you have a cel?

woops...I don't have a prob...maybe you meant the OP?

You comment about the guide breaking made sense though: I recall the guide breaking on a motorcycle I had. It clattered like the engine was full of rocks....luckily, Honda had an extended warranty and did the work for free!

I guess that's something to keep an eye on in our Rabbits: do you know if the guides can be easily replaced without removing the transmission and the back end of the motor?

9. Banner Advertiser nothing-leaves-stock's Avatar
      Vehicles
      a few.
      09-11-2008 08:55 AM #9

do you know if the guides can be easily replaced without removing the transmission and the back end of the motor?

TOP chain and guides can be replaced withOTU the trans removed...lower chain MUST have the trans out to do.

a bit of info for you guys....IF all the guides total destroy in the upper chain,(wont happenbut...) and none of them are left...the car WILL still run and the chain will NOT hit anything. there is plenty of room with the guides out. also (not a fact- butan educated guess) the CEL shouldn't come on even if the cams get out of time a hair, which is the worse that can happen....the ecu will adjust the cam timing and the car should run ok for you still...
      YET this does NOT mean you shouldn't get it fixed or replaced...

www.nothingleavesstock.com
      NLS's full line of parts on our online store!http://nothingleavesstock.com/online...=0&sort=normal
      Email us at sales@nothingleavesstock.com 5780 Main St. Center Valley PA 18034 610 282 5487

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI 6spd. Wife 2011 TDI Sportwagen
      09-12-2008 05:35 PM #10

woops...I don't have a prob...maybe you meant the OP?

You comment about the guide breaking made sense though: I recall the guide breaking on a motorcycle I had. It clattered like the engine was full of rocks....luckily, Honda had an extended warranty and did the work for free!

I guess that's something to keep an eye on in our Rabbits: do you know if the guides can be easily replaced without removing the transmission and the back end of the motor?

sorry, not you the OP

you are right about the motorcycle. it's sort of the same idea with the guides. it does get noisey, like a can a marbles being shook up. hopefully VW made stonger guides on these then the VRs.