Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 24 hour of Lemons - 2nd. place

1. 09-14-2008 10:37 PM #1
      I sold my 205,000mile Jetta to an old racing buddy, to race in the 24 hour of Lemons - Detroitish race that tool place this weekend in Toledo.

Pic from two years ago.

Mk1 content is my project up front and the new owner also raced a GTI too in ITB . We go back 20 years. He was looking for a Mk1 I couldn't let that happen, so I sold him the MkIII Jetta.

The "Junk Player Special" complete with trick wing, almost indistinguishable side skirts, and gold graphics finished in Second Place!

More details and pics to come. Post 'em Jeff once you get some sleep and a shower!

There are some good hybrids.... The ones that burn gasoline and rubber!
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...v-build-thread

DCI until I die

Vehicles
      '83 gti aba
      09-14-2008 11:10 PM #2
      i realise its an a3 but holyf*** it looks newer then the a4

... btw r those the same a3 jettas cuz the stock one says gls and has no stock wing on it where as the lemon has a gl emblem and does have the stock wing

Modified by justin_6649 at 8:15 PM 9-14-2008

3. 09-15-2008 01:01 PM #3
      Wow, that's what that car started as?

We were in the Chia Neon, which came in 4th. Our car definitely looked like a 200 dollar car when we started with it almost 2 years ago.

4. 09-15-2008 01:08 PM #4
      Nice job. It's good to see another Vw do well. We race two of them at Lemons. An 84 Gti and a 90 Corrado g60.

5. 09-15-2008 01:28 PM #5
      It didn't look bad but it was tired and wore out. Needed a clutch and had electrical issues. I sold it for $500.00 and tossed in an extra ABA long block because I was selling it to a friend.

Its worth it now knowing it survived the full 24 hours. May even be able to do it again! Maybe I'll see if I can get on the team next time. Looks to be an absolute blast.

DCI until I die

Vehicles
      mk1(1.8t) mk4(2.0)
      09-15-2008 01:48 PM #6
      lol what did you made the skirts from -toilet paper#???

congrats on 2nd place though

7. 09-15-2008 02:05 PM #7
      Ah, I see. One of "those" types of $500 cars.

The theme of it was great btw.

8. 09-15-2008 07:14 PM #8
      Ok, First, Props to a job well done. You guys did a good job, and raced well. Though I guess its not that big of a deal, your car was certainly no $500 car - hardly in the spirit of the race. In fact, its much better than my wife's daily driver!

PS, I have have a Touareg and a hot-rodded b6 Audi A4. I was always wrenching, and sometimes driving the poorly finishing (huge wreck caused a goodly delay), but very fast white old Celica (which was a true $175 car, and not worth that IMO). PS, bummer for us, but when I was driving, I think I lapped you at least 50 times!

Cheers,

9. 09-15-2008 07:34 PM #9
      I was not a member of the "Junk Player Special" team. I was just the guy that sold the car to them. And posted cause I thought it was kinda cool that it went there to race instead of the junk yard. I was not ready to invest the time to continue making it able to drive 80 miles a day to work and back on a daily basis.

And I did in fact sell it for $500.00 They in fact worked their tails off getting it ready to survive 24 hours.

They were also very experienced SCCA road racers, and 24 hour Longest Day veterans, each with years of experience wrenching on their own race cars.

While I was not there to witness the event, I would imagine it went a lot like the tortoise and the hare story. You may have in fact lapped them 50 times as you say, but they in fact finished the race in front of you. Maybe you should have found a $500 car instead of a $175 car.

PS: The extra engine I gave them was used as a spare just in case, it did not go in the car. And as such had nothing to do with the $500. rule. You see, experienced racers actually go to races prepared.

Modified by All VW All the time at 7:39 PM 9-15-2008

DCI until I die

Vehicles
      '84 GLI/'01 Wolf
      09-15-2008 07:45 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by otti »
      lol what did you made the skirts from -toilet paper#???

congrats on 2nd place though

lmao @ Picard!

09-15-2008 08:37 PM #11
      What a great race. Congrads on the 2nd.

12. 09-16-2008 11:10 AM #12
      They definitely drove well, no issues whatsoever with that.

They also didn't get any BS penalty laps either, so good job to them for that as well.

They deserve their second.

13. 09-16-2008 04:50 PM #13
      If you want to sell another car like that for $500 I'll pick it up and put a cage in it and rally it.

I was in the #44 Mazda Protege that we bought for $1. Our car hit a deer and busted up the radiator/hood/fender and the guy had the car sit in his OTHER friend's driveway for a year and a half.

And we lapped the JPS guys a bunch of times, but we also got 90 minutes of black flag penalties, had a transponder issue and lost 2/3 of our laps in the first hour, and spent an hour fixing our exhaust because we were to loud.

**** happens, but we we're just glad our car made it 24 hours!

14. 09-16-2008 06:08 PM #14
      Found another pic from earlier in the race. You can see the plaid "Skirts" before they got all yucked up.

DCI until I die

15. 09-16-2008 06:51 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by yellow68 »
      Ah, I see. One of "those" types of $500 cars.

The theme of it was great btw.

Hey, mkIII's are worth dick right now, I picked up a really clean '97 Jetta GT for 700. Asides from the auto to manual swap, It's been reliable for over a year now...

#DRH2014
      DCIVW
      Crooked Euros.