Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever heard of or used JOM coilovers (a little about Vmaxx in here too).

1. 03-14-2009 02:20 PM #421
      mk1's and mk2's dont handle well either. any car that has one wheel off the ground when taking a hard corner handles badly. sure they had stiffer suspensions than lets say a dodge omni but i still wouldnt call that handling well. i see what you are trying to say but you are fighting a losing argument. if we wanted cars that handled well we would be driving japanese cars. cars with independent rear suspensions. everyone who bought jom or v maxx coils knew what they were getting when they bought them. me included.

i just went for a ride in my friends b&g equipped golf and my car is far less bouncy than his. im not saying my coils are better because he is running a 195 40 and has forged wheels but man, every bump and frost heave felt horrible. is is also 1/4 of an inch lower than me. i do have more tire to absorb bumps because i run a 205 45 but im not impressed with name brand coils at all.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      03-14-2009 02:50 PM #422
      Quote, originally posted by dangerous_dave »
      any car that has one wheel off the ground when taking a hard corner handles badly.

any arguement you made in this post should be ignored because your arguement is flawed.

many cars lift a wheel not because they handle poorly but because of the suspension design used and the suspension travel of the vehicle.

for example... MANY 911's will lift their inside front tires on tight corners. does that instantly mean that the 911 handles poorly? i think not.

most people have a skewed view of actual suspension performance and what they feel is better handling because a car is lowered.

epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

3. 03-14-2009 03:09 PM #423
      Quote, originally posted by dunhamjr »

any arguement you made in this post should be ignored because your arguement is flawed.

many cars lift a wheel not because they handle poorly but because of the suspension design used and the suspension travel of the vehicle.

for example... MANY 911's will lift their inside front tires on tight corners. does that instantly mean that the 911 handles poorly? i think not.

most people have a skewed view of actual suspension performance and what they feel is better handling because a car is lowered.

good point on the 911. i know my lowered car handles poorly. i didnt buy coils to track my car just like 90 percent of people on here that buy coils. this thread isnt about suspensions for the race track so lets not pretend it is. this thread is about a low price, quality suspension kit for every day driving. im sure you and ralleytuned could school most of us when it comes to suspension related topics but this thread isnt the place to do it. we didnt buy these so we could handle well. if i wanted a good handling car i would have bought a dick shine kit. or a 40/40 or a 60/40 kit.

this thread inst about proving that there are better kits out there. we all know that. thats what the mk3 forum is for. im going to say this as politely as possible. if you dont have an interest in buying v maxx, jom or fk coils or have anything to contribute like a review, positive or negative, then you shouldnt be posting in this thread at all.

4. 03-14-2009 03:55 PM #424
      thank you

good point on the 911. i know my lowered car handles poorly. i didnt buy coils to track my car just like 90 percent of people on here that buy coils. this thread isnt about suspensions for the race track so lets not pretend it is. this thread is about a low price, quality suspension kit for every day driving. im sure you and ralleytuned could school most of us when it comes to suspension related topics but this thread isnt the place to do it. we didnt buy these so we could handle well. if i wanted a good handling car i would have bought a dick shine kit. or a 40/40 or a 60/40 kit.

this thread inst about proving that there are better kits out there. we all know that. thats what the mk3 forum is for. im going to say this as politely as possible. if you dont have an interest in buying v maxx, jom or fk coils or have anything to contribute like a review, positive or negative, then you shouldnt be posting in this thread at all.

Vehicles
      77' Rabbit 16v, '92 Passat Syncro Wagon1.8t
      03-14-2009 08:24 PM #425
      again, you are refering to "performance" solely as a driving performance, and again, i'm talking about the shock and spring package performance for not ONLY handling but also comfort, both of which these coils lack i posted my review on them, and hopefully thats one of the few times i will have to ride in a car with these. i WAS interested in a set, until i rode on them.

the owner of that car read threads just like this, with un-informed people with little to no experiance telling him they "ride just fine" (im not saying that to anyone in particular), when he put them on the car he was severly dissapointed and pissed that he spent that much on such a poor performing coilover setup. the reason im posting this information and opinions is to keep others from wasting money on something they will not be happy with

these coils are good for lowering the car, but if you care about not only driving performance but also a comfortable car that sits low, you should spend money on a better quality set of coils

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Current VWs I own...'60 '60 '63 '76 '82 '83 '91 '92 '96 '96 '97 '03
      03-14-2009 08:28 PM #426
      what about patec coils?

Vehicles
      Mk2 coupe, 2010 Xb RS7, 2013 Sienna
      03-14-2009 09:43 PM #427
      Quote, originally posted by -RalleyTuned- »

when he put them on the car he was severly dissapointed and pissed that he spent that much on such a poor performing coilover setup.

$336 shipped for a full suspension.....

Anyhow, I have my rears on now and can say they are exactly what I needed for my application. Gonna ride with my spax dampening adjustables up front for awhile since they were never the issue.

Vehicles
      03-14-2009 09:47 PM #428
      he paid normal retail for vmaxx, which is roughly $500

9. 03-14-2009 10:48 PM #429
      Quote, originally posted by -RalleyTuned- »
      he paid normal retail for vmaxx, which is roughly $500

you said that your customer was disappointed in the ride quality of his v maxx coils. has your customer every driven or driven in a car with coils before? maybe he would have felt the same way with another brand.

i prefer the ride quality of a good cup kit to any coilover set up out there. if i could find a cup kit that went as low as my jom kit does for the same money, i would have bought that.

ride quality is subjective to ones own opinion. i believe the jom kit rides decent. just as good as the 900 dollar fk's and i was not impressed in the least bit when i went for a ride in my friends b&g equipped golf. ive said this before, all coilovers ride like crap compared to a cup kit, no matter how much they cost or what brand they are. but if you wanna be low, you have to have coils. i choose to give up ride quality for looks.

10. 03-15-2009 02:45 AM #430
      All springs that are tightened down(compressed by rotating collars) rather than naturally (heat tendered or other original formation) allowed to rest at the compression they were intended to rest at (load based on the weight of the car)will not perform well....just ny $0.02.

Vehicles
      98 PB Jetta GLX
      03-15-2009 03:30 AM #431
      Quote, originally posted by Pssst...passedyou »
      All springs that are tightened down(compressed by rotating collars) rather than naturally (heat tendered or other original formation) allowed to rest at the compression they were intended to rest at (load based on the weight of the car)will not perform well....just ny $0.02.

I just installed JOM's yesterday and the rear perches are 3 1/2 inches from the bottom thread and the fender is about 1 inch above the tire, front is just a little over 1/2 from the tire and perch is sitting about 2 1/2 inch from the bottom thread. I have plenty of threads to go up.
      So, if I take the helper spring out and raise the perch up higher to make up the difference for the helper springs height loss, then it'll ride better??? Ride is about the same as my other MK3 VR6 jetta with the Neuspeed/Bilstein cupkit.

Vehicles
      Sure!
      03-15-2009 03:43 AM #432
      http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk...d=142

gonna sound stupid, but is this them for an MK4? Only because it doesn't say that they are JOM coils...

Vehicles
      03-15-2009 03:43 AM #433

makes sense.

i am actually mildly interested in them, mostly based on price. i am curious how they will compare with my experiences running oem 20th suspension, neuspeed race springs, hr cupkits, hr coils and bg coils (all these just on VW's)...

for the price i am very tempted to see if they are worth it, even if i have to end up pulling them to put stock stuff back in...

hell if they are only about as good as a cheap cup kit, they have height adjustment so they are probably worth it. as long as they arent too bouncy and can ride well, since the car i plan to put them on will never be tracked/auto'd (jetta wagon tdi)... i would be happy.

epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

Vehicles
      03-15-2009 03:47 AM #434

i was not impressed in the least bit when i went for a ride in my friends b&g equipped golf.

i would like to defend the bg's.

a LOT of the ride quality on these depends on your damping settings since they are adjustable.

set them wrong and the car hops over every bump. set them wrong the other way and you can almost get seasick from the car floating all over.

i had them on my mk4 wagon and set in a way i would call 'properly' and the bg coils basically felt like stock suspension compliance. i wasnt terribly low, but low enough... the only reason i no longer have them is that i thought i was selling the car... turns out i am probably not selling it.

epitome

Vehicles
      Mk2 coupe, 2010 Xb RS7, 2013 Sienna
      03-15-2009 12:15 PM #435
      Quote, originally posted by es_shoes »
      http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk...d=142

gonna sound stupid, but is this them for an MK4? Only because it doesn't say that they are JOM coils...

Yea, I think mostly everyone bought them off there Ebay store tho.....
      http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLF-MK4-B...l1262

Vehicles
      Sure!
      03-15-2009 12:29 PM #436
      thanks man, i appreciate

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Current VWs I own...'60 '60 '63 '76 '82 '83 '91 '92 '96 '96 '97 '03
      03-15-2009 12:51 PM #437
      patec?

Vehicles
      Sure!
      03-15-2009 12:54 PM #438
      bought and i cannot wait. thanks to everyone on this thread, i'm just starting out w my car, and i don't need to go too low to be happy, just not have 2 1/2 gaps between my tire and fender i will take some before pics, and some afters obviously, once i get them...

19. 03-15-2009 02:25 PM #439
      Just to share what i've learned about a new coil over install:

should be purchased:
      - new oem frt strut mounts
      - new strut bearings

Might need:
      -at least 10mm front wheel spacers for clearance.

Question!?

Do I need a new Upper Front Strut Bearing nuts as well?

http://www.ngpracing.com/store...=1108

Vehicles
      emkay four 24 on pillows--> TRADED for TT 225--> TRADED for 2002 S2000--> SOLD bought 2008 3.2 TT
      03-15-2009 10:18 PM #440
      Ive been in a never ending debate on suspension myself, I have H&R race springs and they are just not low enough for me. my friend just got Vmaxx and I love the ride, but he does not have them all the way down. Looking at the pictures of vmaxx and JOM, they look exactly the same. Now I know they may not be the actual item but JOM cost a little less. I was told by Parts4VWs that different companies use the same equipment and just paint them to be original for resale. Perfectly legal. I think I am going Vmaxx because I like the way they turned out on my friends car. Any Ideas guys? I want my tires in the well about an inch. Bags?
      B.U.S.

Vehicles
      337.sold 2.slow
      03-15-2009 11:11 PM #441
      streetlines
      CTS 3076 kit, CTS 750hp FMIC, CM FX400, 2L, AEB, RMR IM, Raxles, Eurodyne, 870's...

Vag Scans, pm me

Vehicles
      03-16-2009 01:17 AM #442
      Quote, originally posted by Herron_mac1 »
      Ive been in a never ending debate on suspension myself, I have H&R race springs and they are just not low enough for me. my friend just got Vmaxx and I love the ride, but he does not have them all the way down. Looking at the pictures of vmaxx and JOM, they look exactly the same. Now I know they may not be the actual item but JOM cost a little less. I was told by Parts4VWs that different companies use the same equipment and just paint them to be original for resale. Perfectly legal. I think I am going Vmaxx because I like the way they turned out on my friends car. Any Ideas guys? I want my tires in the well about an inch. Bags?

how can you legitimately consider JOM/Vmaxx in the same sentence as bags?

they are in different leagues in terms of product, cost and complexity...

epitome

23. 03-16-2009 08:15 AM #443
      and if you have the budget for bags and want coilovers why wouldnt you just meet in the middle or buy hr ultra lows or ultra ultra lows?

or buy bags. whats wrong with people.

24. 03-16-2009 10:05 AM #444
      Where can i find these the cheapest shipped to ontario, canada...L5N 6P4...?

For the MK4 platform..

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      03-16-2009 10:16 AM #445
      Quote, originally posted by dhphreak »
      Just to share what i've learned about a new coil over install:

should be purchased:
      - new oem frt strut mounts
      - new strut bearings

Might need:
      -at least 10mm front wheel spacers for clearance.

Question!?

Do I need a new Upper Front Strut Bearing nuts as well?

http://www.ngpracing.com/store...=1108

the coilovers should come w/ a nut

btw, spacer requirments are dependent on what size wheel/et you are running.

Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      03-16-2009 10:26 AM #446
      Quote, originally posted by VW1.8Tsunami »

the coilovers should come w/ a nut

btw, spacer requirments are dependent on what size wheel/et you are running.

i agree on both counts.

always received the top strut nuts when buying other suspension/coilover kits.

truth... on my mk4 with b+g's and stock 16's with 225's i needed a 5mm spacer, with 205's no spacer required... and then running my 18 inch porsche wheels above, no spacer needed. it all depends on wheel offset and tire width. not all setups will need spacers regardless of the coilover brand used.

epitome

27. 03-16-2009 10:42 AM #447
      Is it the same coilover kit for both the golf and jetta?

28. 03-16-2009 10:46 AM #448
      yes

Vehicles
      03-16-2009 10:48 AM #449
      Quote, originally posted by YoungNdubbin »
      Is it the same coilover kit for both the golf and jetta?

also it should be mentioned that most, if not all, golf/jetta sedan coilover kits will have no issues with fitting to a jetta wagon as well.

i have put both hr and b+g coilovers on a wagon and a wagon buddy had koni's.

epitome

Vehicles
      03-16-2009 10:54 AM #450

you said that your customer was disappointed in the ride quality of his v maxx coils. has your customer every driven or driven in a car with coils before? maybe he would have felt the same way with another brand.

i prefer the ride quality of a good cup kit to any coilover set up out there. if i could find a cup kit that went as low as my jom kit does for the same money, i would have bought that.

i choose to give up ride quality for looks.

yes, he also has a mk5 that is on h&r's (iirc) and is very happy with that setup

a well matched coilover setup that is designed to go low (h&r ultra low's would be my first choice for super low) will ride stiffer than a cup kit, but it will still retain a pretty good ride. like you said, it's an opinion, an your's is they ride poorly if its a coilover, im thinking you have just not experienced a proper setup? especially given the fact you claim all mk1's and 2's handle poorly

the last statement is the bottom line with these coils, and that was the main thing i was tryin to get across

31. 03-16-2009 11:03 AM #451
      thank you, and these are jom coilovers?...I'm unsure because it doesn't say...just says german quality-.-
      http://jbrlsr.com/?aid=5336121...l1262

Modified by YoungNdubbin at 9:06 AM 3-16-2009

32. 03-16-2009 11:10 AM #452
      all your posts have been helpful and respectful. you illustrate the fact that when you drove in a car with v maxx coils, you were not impressed. i have driven in cars with most coilover kits that are on the market and have installed most of them on customers cars or on friends cars. i do this for a living (or did). i think all coilovers ride poorly compared to a cup kit. i know thats a pretty broad statement but i think i have enough experience with different brands to make that statement. i have yet to ride in a coilover equipped car to justify spending over 1000 dollars for a suspension for a car i paid 2000 dollars for. the jom coilovers i have ride just as good (or bad) as any coilover equipped car i have ever driven in.

33. 03-16-2009 11:11 AM #453
      So where is everyone finding all these 300 bucks shipped deals??? CLosest i have found is like about 450 after shipping for those JOM deals. http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/VW-GOLF...l1262

Wheres all thsoe soopa doopa deals yall get? I need some coils

34. 03-16-2009 12:05 PM #454
      just order mine!!! $402 shipped to canada!

35. Banned
      03-16-2009 12:07 PM #455
      this thread is a joke right?........

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast