Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever heard of or used JOM coilovers (a little about Vmaxx in here too).

1. 12-13-2008 12:32 PM #71
      to see if that guy got rid of the bump stops to se if the ride is better

Vehicles
      Bagged B*tch. and Mk1 4dr Rabbit
      12-15-2008 10:52 PM #72
      I def wanna see some pics of the JOMs on dangerousdaves ride. And I've been hearing nothing but bad on FKs both highsports and streetlines. Let me know what anyone else thinks

Vehicles
      8N B5.5 Z33
      12-16-2008 02:24 AM #73
      I have FK Konigsports and like them a lot. The ride quality is very nice with adjustable dampening. The car is pretty low and takes bumps nicely.....

FK is a good brand but the high sport and street lines are just practically the same as the vmaxx's and what not, but FK is a more well known brand in my opinion so they have my vote....

Edit Signature Here

Vehicles
      Bagged B*tch. and Mk1 4dr Rabbit
      12-17-2008 12:54 AM #74
      def def im not bashing FK's by all means just throwing it out there that ive heard some ish about those two particular models.

JOM pics?!

...ANY pics?

Vehicles
      mkiii jetta, mkvi tdi
      12-17-2008 11:21 AM #75
      Quote, originally posted by KyleRI »
      I def wanna see some pics of the JOMs on dangerousdaves ride. And I've been hearing nothing but bad on FKs both highsports and streetlines. Let me know what anyone else thinks
      fk street lines are awesome
      Quote Originally Posted by VW2002GTI View Post
      be patient young jedi you will get your come upins

Vehicles
      mkiii jetta, mkvi tdi
      12-17-2008 11:30 AM #76
      Quote, originally posted by D3hd3nd »

well you gotta post up some pics soon...

here are the FK's i posted about, in the last pic i had to raise them up for the new wide wheels after i roll fenders i will post more pics

Modified by jedipartsguy at 1:51 PM 12-22-2008

Modified by jedipartsguy at 1:55 PM 12-22-2008

7. 12-17-2008 07:01 PM #77
      sorry i didnt post up the review of the jom coilovers like i said i would last wednesday. i lost power and heat for 4 days due to an ice storm and it was the worst power outage in new hampshire history.and it snowed today. the last thing on my mind lately is writing a review.

i removed the rear stuts and cut 85% of the bump stops out. the car rides pretty nice now. with full bump stops it rides horrible. its too low so the shock is sitting on the bump stop and eliminates any rebound what so ever. if you cut most of it out it allows the shock to have full travel and you still have some bump stop left in case you bottom the shock out in a big bump.

i dont want you guys to be disappointed when i post pics. i still havent rolled my fenders properly so i cant wind them down as far as i would like. im also running 205 45 16 tires and if i had bought 195 45 or 205 40 tires the car would be slammed.

all in all, with the bump stops cut down alot the car rides a little bouncier than my cut neuspeed springs.this set up is a great suspension alternative for short money. i dont regret buying them at all. we will see if my opinion changes after this winter. i greased the hell out of the shock bodies so hopefully the collars wont seize to the shock.

i let my friend drive it yesterday so he could compare it to the ride in his b&g equipped golf. he said they dont ride as well but he was impressed. i just wish i knew what company makes these for jom.

stay tuned for more. i will post pics at the end of this week. i have friday through tuesday off so i will have time to post up.

heres some of the pics i promised

all in all im happy with my purchase. still havent rolled the fenders. when i do the car will go down another quarter to a half inch. although its snowing like a bastard this week so maybe i will wait....we will see.

Modified by dangerous_dave at 10:17 AM 12-21-2008

Vehicles
      98 Gti 97 Jetta 91 Gti 81 Rabbit
      12-17-2008 08:10 PM #78
      Quote, originally posted by dangerous_dave »
      sorry i didnt post up the review of the jom coilovers like i said i would last wednesday. i lost power and heat for 4 days due to an ice storm and it was the worst power outage in new hampshire history.and it snowed today. the last thing on my mind lately is writing a review.

i removed the rear stuts and cut 85% of the bump stops out. the car rides pretty nice now. with full bump stops it rides horrible. its too low so the shock is sitting on the bump stop and eliminates any rebound what so ever. if you cut most of it out it allows the shock to have full travel and you still have some bump stop left in case you bottom the shock out in a big bump.

i dont want you guys to be disappointed when i post pics. i still havent rolled my fenders properly so i cant wind them down as far as i would like. im also running 205 45 16 tires and if i had bought 195 45 or 205 40 tires the car would be slammed.

all in all, with the bump stops cut down alot the car rides a little bouncier than my cut neuspeed springs.this set up is a great suspension alternative for short money. i dont regret buying them at all. we will see if my opinion changes after this winter. i greased the hell out of the shock bodies so hopefully the collars wont seize to the shock.

i let my friend drive it yesterday so he could compare it to the ride in his b&g equipped golf. he said they dont ride as well but he was impressed. i just wish i knew what company makes these for jom.

stay tuned for more. i will post pics at the end of this week. i have friday through tuesday off so i will have time to post up.

Very nice write up and FINALLY A JOM COILOVER WRITE UP AND IT DIDNT BASH THEM IN THE B@LLS haha... thank you much and i'm exstatic for the pics
      If you're not having fun, then you're taking this stuff too seriously

Message me if you're looking for bodywork in Wisconsin, my shop is on Horicon 53032

9. 12-19-2008 10:37 PM #79
      Since JOM is rebranded vmaxx, i give it thumbs up. I had vmaxx for about 6 months. They rode like **** at first, until i read about cutting the bumpstops. I cut them in half, and they rode MUCH better. with about 1" of threads left, they rode amazing. Sometime around october, my friend wanted to trade his Koni coilovers for my vmaxx, so i agreed. After puting Konis on, even though they have the adjustment for soft/firm ride, I believe the vmaxx rode just as good/if not better. With Konis i have about 2 threads left to bottom about, and its not even as low as I had the vmaxx with about an inch of threads.

So please do not listen to anyone buying expensive coilovers, I do not think its necessary. on low budget vmaxx are very good quality, and you will not be disapointed. Even now i regret trading my vmaxx for these konis

Vehicles
      12-19-2008 11:48 PM #80
      very nice review up there.... i hate how ppl Flame them just because their cheap incomparision to Koni's or Bilstiens... thanks keep it coming any1 with experience!!!!!!!!!!!

Message me if you're looking for bodywork in Wisconsin, my shop is on Horicon 53032

Vehicles
      2004 RS VW R32
      12-20-2008 07:35 PM #81
      So I am under the impression that if you dont slam the Vmaxx then they actually ride decent?

Vehicles
      12-21-2008 11:06 AM #82
      Quote, originally posted by Withidlehands »
      So I am under the impression that if you dont slam the Vmaxx then they actually ride decent?

From what i know and have had rides in i'm going to say yes but i mean it's not poor quality. The threads on JOM and vmaxx go down alot farther than most coilovers and when you get so far down the bumpstop doesn't allow for any travel. And by cutting the bumpstop your obviously trying to get travel and you do which makes the ride

13. 12-21-2008 11:18 AM #83
      alot of people say you shouldnt have to cut your bumpstops to make a suspension ride good. but those are the same people who are notching their frames to accommodate their axles thus sacrificing structural integrity of their vehicles. i cut my bumpstops out 80% and my suspension ride pretty good.

ive been saying spending over 1000 dollars for name brand coilovers for a vw is a waste of money for a long time. i have installed kw's, many fk's, b&g's and vmaxx on my customers cars and now the jom coilovers on my own vehicle and i can now honestly say that the difference in ride quality is minimal at best. the only thing that would make me want to buy a name brand coilover, and to be honest it is important, is having a lifetime warranty. especially in new england. but i dont believe that would cover a collar seizing due to weather and climate. please correct me if i am wrong.

14. 12-21-2008 11:22 AM #84
      i tried getting a seized collar warrantied through konis, no luck. had to torche it slightly and play with big ass channel locks.

As summer comes i might actually plan on going to back vmaxx and sell konis.

Vehicles
      MK2 scirocco, 2.0 golf cart
      12-30-2008 07:07 PM #85
      what about the super sport seen them on ebay the look well made an also in the same price range

Vehicles
      1995 Jetta GL
      12-30-2008 08:00 PM #86
      ewwwwww............ cut springs... ewwww

I say get two cars one low and slow, one fast and comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by PKstrategy View Post
      easy+mk3= does not always compute
      Quote Originally Posted by sk8too View Post
      It's the car's way of saying I hate what you've done to me and take them out
      -Not quite a Fink, but still a rat. -MK3 OBD1 Issues? Start Here!

17. 01-01-2009 11:51 AM #87
      so now you just have to talk about longetivity, not just new ride comfort and performance. wonder how these nonwarranteed or one year warranteed brands hold up to a 1600 dollar set of H&R etc...

18. 01-01-2009 04:17 PM #88
      Quote, originally posted by Pssst...passedyou »
      so now you just have to talk about longetivity, not just new ride comfort and performance. wonder how these nonwarranteed or one year warranteed brands hold up to a 1600 dollar set of H&R etc...

only time will tell. i will let you know in a year.

Vehicles
      MK3 2.0T, 2013 Elantra GT
      01-01-2009 10:29 PM #89
      my buddy has a set of vmaxx coilovers and when the thing is pretty low (about where i'd want it to ride) it bounced a lot. granted, i never rode in the car, so idk what its like during a drive, but it looked bouncy.

honestly as far as fit/finish and quality, everyone seems to think cheapies to the expensive brands are very similiar. however, my biggest issue is adjustable dampening (because even only being 22 i'm sick of feeling absolutey every thing because roads suck in lancaster) so i'm going to spend a little more money to get that. if it wasn't for that, id probably do go with these or vmaxx.

btw my buddy has had the vmaxx coils for over a year. he just raised them up a bit for the upcoming winter, had no issues that i knew of with the collars seizing or other corrosion, so if the jom are just rebadged vmaxx, you guys should be fine.

2.0T... it's back!

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta 2.5 '02 GTI 337 '97 BMW 328i
      01-06-2009 02:03 AM #90
      You guys have it backwards. VMAXX's are rebadged JOM's. Where was VMAXX 15 years ago?
      GTi 337 Edition ~ 322WHP 270WTQ
      {PPT T3/T4 50 TRIM .63 Haldex Kit - Eurodyne Maestro - 630cc Injectors - IE Rods - AEB Head w/ VVT - CAT Cam Gear - Walbro Inline - Audi S3 Gearbox - Peloquin Diff - SouthBend STGIII Clutch - .:R32 LCA's/Spindles/Rack - Ksport Audi TT Coilovers - 25mm R32 FSB - 28mm RSB - Porsche BBK - Eurojet FMIC - FSI Coils - 2 Stage Boostvalve - HKS SSQV }

Vehicles
      mkiii jetta, mkvi tdi
      01-06-2009 07:10 PM #91
      my street lines have taken a beating with all of the compact ice and chunks of ice and are still holding up they haven't seized yet but the sand makes it tough to crank them.

Vehicles
      Too many for a poor student.
      01-06-2009 08:28 PM #92
      so say i was choosing between jom and streetlines, from what this says, the jom is better.

has anyone tested both on one car? that would be great, but i dont think it has been done.

WTB: MK3, B3/4 TDI Donor Car. Rear end accident prefered.

#aokshop

How does your ego feel on the side of the road?

23. 01-07-2009 03:58 PM #93
      i blew my first axle yesterday!! i love being low

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta 2.5 '02 GTI 337 '97 BMW 328i
      01-07-2009 05:44 PM #94
      i blew my first axle yesterday!! i love being low

Bummer man, what exactly caused it to break? I take it the axle hit a suspension component or frame of the car that caused it to snap?

GTi 337 Edition ~ 322WHP 270WTQ
      {PPT T3/T4 50 TRIM .63 Haldex Kit - Eurodyne Maestro - 630cc Injectors - IE Rods - AEB Head w/ VVT - CAT Cam Gear - Walbro Inline - Audi S3 Gearbox - Peloquin Diff - SouthBend STGIII Clutch - .:R32 LCA's/Spindles/Rack - Ksport Audi TT Coilovers - 25mm R32 FSB - 28mm RSB - Porsche BBK - Eurojet FMIC - FSI Coils - 2 Stage Boostvalve - HKS SSQV }

25. 01-07-2009 06:24 PM #95
      no, when you lower your car it changes the angle of the cv joint on the axle. you think i broke it in half when i really mean my cv joint is messed up. the cv joint is locking up making a horrible clicking sound and causing the car to vibrate. the axle was probably on its way out anyway. lowering it made it go bad faster.

26. 01-08-2009 11:33 PM #96
      No JOM, but here is a review of the big hitters against Vmaxx. Vmaxx was the "best value" but not much else was said that was good...
      http://www.stratmosphere.com/Test%20Redline.pdf

Vehicles
      94 Jetta
      01-14-2009 12:59 AM #97
      thanks for the review DANGEROUS DAVE

im about to pull the trigger.

ill give my input once all is said and done. i've got some parts to allocate b4 this will all happen though.

Vehicles
      86 GTI 1.8t syncro project , 84 wabbit GTI
      01-14-2009 02:42 AM #98
      i just installed a set on my 86 vr6 gti. they ride great in the front and horrible in the rear. i beleive that you guys are right, they have a really stiff stock sized bump stop on all four corners. im going to cut them in half because i would like it to be a little lower, but i am amazed, the only other set of coilovers i have owned where a set of $900 fk's and the quality of the jom is equal or beter, much better than i expected. I would by another set for sure. OH! and they were less than $500 shipped ups 2 day!

CG Autowerks
      3000 NE MINNEHAHA ST. SUITE B
      vancouver, WA 98663

360-859-3480

Vehicles
      Silverado, Jetta & HD Softail
      01-14-2009 03:56 PM #99
      i have a JOM 60/40 kit.. the rear is adjustable.. 3 different setting.. i know their not coils but i figured id add my review.. ive had them on for about a year now.. about 3k on them and i really like them.. they are about the lowest cupkit i have saw.. most people think im on coils because of my ride height.. they are a little bouncy on really rough roads but not bad at all.. im really thinking of trading them in for a pair of vmaxx coils though.. not 100% on it yet but really thinking about it..

Posted this for the JOM review.. It IS a cupkit.. but i'm posting for the PRODUCT review.. Doesn't seem to be too many people jumping to purchase the JOM name so there ya go..

Modified by eurovw95 at 5:07 PM 1-14-2009

Crooked Euros- My couch pulls out, but I don't

30. 01-14-2009 07:50 PM #100
      not to be a jerk but your post is irrelevant to the discussion. im glad you like your cup kit. maybe you should post in the cup kit feedback thread.

Vehicles
      01-14-2009 07:52 PM #101
      o well.. its there now.. its still a JOM product.. and its a little bit of a review.. its not that hard to get over...

Really not seeing your big deal here.. there's ish in here about fk, vmaxx and everything else.. At least mine is the product in question..

Modified by eurovw95 at 4:58 PM 1-14-2009

32. 01-14-2009 08:02 PM #102

Vehicles
      01-14-2009 08:16 PM #103

edited the post if that makes you happy.. should have left it off but it was only for the Product...

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 Avant 6mt Quattro, 2009 e320 Bluetec
      01-14-2009 09:50 PM #104
      Quote, originally posted by eurovw95 »

edited the post if that makes you happy.. should have left it off but it was only for the Product...

Hi Coby

Just putting my two cents in...

I just placed an order for these for my Corrado. I'm not going that low, my tire wont be tucking or anything, but I'll throw in my experience when they get here. Thanks for the reviews and information, it's pretty much what I was hoping to hear.

I'll take some pictures when the time comes

Vehicles
      01-14-2009 11:52 PM #105
      Quote, originally posted by builtforsin »

I'll take some pictures when the time comes

good pictures = goodness

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast