Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Does anyone know if the brake pad sensor(that comes on when pads are worn) have a dedicated fuse?

1. 09-25-2008 12:26 PM #1
      Does anyone know if the brake pad sensor(that comes on when pads are worn) have a related fuse? and which fuse# is it ?and where it can be located. I recently had my brakes done at a local shop and they re-used all the sensors cos they thought they werent broken yet but the brake pad wear light is still on and it's kind of annoying so I want to turn it off since the entire brakes have to be taken off to get the sensors replaced.

Modified by mikowen10 at 2:05 PM 9-25-2008

2. 09-25-2008 02:15 PM #2
      If the warning is going off, you have at least one bad sensor. If you had the warning before doing the brakes, you had at least one bad sensor.

I believe there may be a Vag-Com recoding that you can do to turn off the brake sensor warning function, but I don't know that anyone has done it. You would still need to have a Vag-Com setup to do that though.

Aside from that, there is no fix for this that I know of that doesn't require removing the wheels. And if you're going to have to remove the wheels anyway, you may as well replace the sensors and do it right. Why they weren't changed in the first place is beyond me, as once they wear down enough to light the warning, they're shot.

Matt

Vehicles
      2010 V6 TDI Touareg
      09-25-2008 02:24 PM #3
      Wow, I want to get my stuff done at that shop. As Matt said, if you had the warning before getting the brakes done, one sensor was already worn to the point of setting off the warning. That requires replacement of the sensor, not just the pads.

4. 09-25-2008 05:20 PM #4
      BTW - Pads are very easy and quick to remove so no excuse not to do the job the correct way. You can also easily remove the sensors without removing the pads from the calipers (if you know what you are doing) but I'm sure the shop you had the work done is clueless and I wouldn't let them touch it again. The Touareg has one of the easiest setups for replacing the pads...next time you might want to try it yourself.

5. 09-25-2008 07:44 PM #5
      The indicator is lit up by a worn sensor in one of the front wheels according to the owners manual. I'ts a reasonably quick job to change the front pads, so why not just deal with it?

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      09-26-2008 09:10 AM #6
      You can also cut and splice the wires together (after the connector between 1 and 2 in the picture below). This will make the system think the sensor hasn't broken. It will involve wheel removal though.

7. 09-26-2008 09:26 AM #7
      Thanks a lot guys...I probably should do the brakes myself next time. Does anyone who has done it before have the step-by-step instructions and or pictures ? I already do my oil change myself, it's pretty easy when you follow the specific guidelines people have posted in this forum.

8. 09-26-2008 09:28 AM #8
      Can the sensors be replaced without taking off the pads ?

Vehicles
      2010 V6 TDI Touareg
      09-26-2008 11:33 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by mikowen10 »
      Can the sensors be replaced without taking off the pads ?
      It would be a lot easier if you take the pads out. All you do is remove the pin and the spring clip. The pads may have to be separated a little unless you got new rotors, so you can pass the lip on the rotor. Once you get them compressed they pull right out. Once you see how it is done you will wish you did the job yourself.

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      09-26-2008 11:58 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by VegasMatt »
      I believe there may be a Vag-Com recoding that you can do to turn off the brake sensor warning function, but I don't know that anyone has done it. You would still need to have a Vag-Com setup to do that though

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/touareg.html

-1 for brakepad wear sensor disable

OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

11. 09-26-2008 07:57 PM #11
      Cheapest brake pad sensor price anwhere ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...88778

$14.99 for both + 5 bucks shipping ...

Don't cheap out next time and don't let a dealer tell you you need to replace your pads & rotors until the brake pad sensors go off, that's what their there for....