Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guy builds Ariel Atom clone from "Junk?

1. 09-27-2008 12:09 AM #51
      Quote, originally posted by Bigwhite »
      people just can't be satisfied

I know, I know, no one can be me. I'm far too awesome.
      I like it. My sort of dude, we should hang out at his campus and go to one of those crazy book of Mormon youth sessions. Those chicks get nuts once you pass page 10.

Vehicles
      70 Beetle, 56 Beetle, '98 4wd yota
      09-27-2008 12:37 AM #52
      Quote, originally posted by MoPho »
      I don't have the a list of all the parts on an atom, but having spent a lot of time around them, it is obvious. Where is all the Carbon Fiber on this car? Where are the AP racing brakes and Tilton pedal assembly, form fitting body panels, etc, there is tons of details on the Atom that are missing from this and all the parts are brand new
      Are you joking? How the **** does a high schooler afford that?
      <Nieros> 4x4 guys = get the job done whatever way possible
      <Nieros> car guys = dick swinging

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      09-27-2008 12:41 AM #53
      Quote, originally posted by El Jarretto &raquo;
      Are you joking? How the **** does a high schooler afford that?

What the **** does that have to do with people here suggesting that this kids car makes the Atom look like an overpriced POS?
      Pay attention!

Vehicles
      e36M3, 14FiST, 01EVMV, 00Tundra
      09-27-2008 12:46 AM #54
      none of the people criticizing this guy's effort can ever assemble anything like that themselves, and thus their opinion is worthless.

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      09-27-2008 12:49 AM #55
      Quote, originally posted by WannaCorrado &raquo;
      none of the people criticizing this guy's effort can ever assemble anything like that themselves, and thus their opinion is worthless.

Assume much?

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-27-2008 12:56 AM #56
      First- I think this is an awesome example of home built cars. The fact that it's a teenager make it even better. Making something with your own two hands is exponentially better than bolting catalog parts on a normal vehicle to be "unique".
      Quote, originally posted by MoPho &raquo;
      Well he didn't do anything more than copy someone else's idea, so I would give the engineering credit to the folks at Atom.
      I do give him credit for his ingenuity and determination, and it is very cool effort, but it is silly to suggest that this is as nice as the real Atom, when the Atom uses all top notch components, and a higher standard of assembly, did all the R&D, etc.
      The very fact that he scavenged most of the parts means that it is compromised compared to the Atom

A very cool effort? Heck- this teen made a car from scratch/scrap. As far as comparing it to an Atom- yes, it is not an Atom. It is a homemade copy. It will not have the same parts used on an Atom. But it is basically the same package and looks.
      And he made it. Dayum. I can't criticize this effort at any level. Here on the interweb forum universe- most can't even make a viable argument, let alone a car from scratch/scrap.

Modified by BRealistic at 12:57 AM 9/27/2008
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      09-27-2008 01:03 AM #57
      WTF is with you people? As I have said repeatedly, I am not knocking what this kid built, I was defending the Atom after some people were comparing and criticizing it!!!
      So please stop twisting my words!!!!

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-27-2008 01:09 AM #58
      Quote, originally posted by MoPho &raquo;
      WTF is with you people? As I have said repeatedly, I am not knocking what this kid built, I was defending the Atom after some people were comparing and criticizing it!!!
      So please stop twisting my words!!!!

Sorry if that's how it came across.
      Please calm down.
      Most people equate looks with appeal, so if somebody makes something that looks like a ____, most people will say they made a ____. Is that wrong? That's very debatable. But I don't think anybody here thinks this homemade car is 100% an Atom in performance. But it looks like an Atom, and probably has similarly enough performance to also be extreme.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

9. 09-27-2008 09:59 AM #59
      Quote, originally posted by WannaCorrado &raquo;

How many people here could afford to do what that kid did growing up or even now? How many people would have the time?
      I spent my youth playing hockey, football etc. and I felt bad for people who couldn't afford to do those things, pretty sure this kid isn't a ***** like some of the people posting here saying "NO ONE HERE COULD DOT HAT, WHY DONT YOU TRY THAT"
      I'm pretty sure a lot of you can't do what some people here can so why not stop making assumptions and ****?

10. 09-27-2008 10:09 AM #60
      say what you want but that guy is really smart!!!!

11. 09-27-2008 10:11 AM #61
      Still wonder how he payed for all the stuff. I guess the obvious thought would be utah>mormons>big money>rich parents> fake atom?

12. 09-27-2008 10:56 AM #62
      Great build thread. You guys should read it before getting your panties in a bunch.
      --
      2016 On Order
      2007 Rabbit 20V NA, Silver – I only need you for 67(ish) more days!
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 MR2 20V ITB Blacktop, Red – The Weed Whacker

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      09-27-2008 11:01 AM #63
      That is flippin' awesome!!!!!! So what if it isn't the real thing or if he even copied the real thing.
      He did excellent work and it's street legal. KUDOS!
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

14. 09-27-2008 11:03 AM #64
      Lets face it..thats awesome. I just have a hard time believing that someone cant begin producing cars about 85% performance of an Atom for...$10-13K.
      It seems like a market everyone would be interested in...especially with the gas prices lately.

15. 09-27-2008 11:23 AM #65
      Its a great effort, and many many of us would enjoy worlds engineering that thing.
      Engineering or build it, safe or not. For the weight, the thing would turn like a mad mofo.
      kudos for him.

Vehicles
      04 S2000 02 buick century
      09-27-2008 11:34 AM #66
      boy got some mad skillz

17. 09-27-2008 12:35 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by Chillininfl &raquo;
      Still wonder how he payed for all the stuff. I guess the obvious thought would be utah>mormons>big money>rich parents> fake atom?

You're only 19, lets make stupid assumptions about how you paid for your cars.

18. 09-27-2008 12:52 PM #68
      Quote, originally posted by The Kilted Yaksman &raquo;
      You're only 19, lets make stupid assumptions about how you paid for your cars.

Make all the assumptions you want. I split this account, so one of the rx-7s in my profile is my brothers. Yeah my parents paid for my first car when i turned 16, and yes it was less than 2,000 dollars. I bought my rx-7 after working hundreds of hours while in my sophomore and junior years of highschool. These were the hours not taken up by track or lacrosse Realized it wasn't worth it, sold it to my dad (yeah he did me a favor) and bought the 3 a few months ago.
      Also, if you didn't know, for being such a small isolated religion the Mormons are very successful and are one of the few religions who really preach and teach about being successful and making a lot of money.
      But really, go **** yourself. and while you're at it, your assumptions too.

19. 09-27-2008 12:54 PM #69
      To sum up the thread... That is the most awesome pile of crap I have ever seen.

20. 09-27-2008 01:00 PM #70
      I will agree, that judging by the picture...if thats his drive-way, this kid is definitely not "poor" so to speak. Still...awesome.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      09-27-2008 01:01 PM #71
      I think I've seen this kid before.....

MAKE ME MY ATOM, JOSH...

Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L, 1999 2500 Suburban 6.5, 2003 Golf TDI
      09-27-2008 01:55 PM #72
      Quote, originally posted by subwoffers &raquo;
      That or Dumb, poor, unnecessary dangerous.

I don't know about dumb, subwoffers.
      When I was a kid, I had dyslexia. I used to write about it in my dairy.
      6.0 LS2 6MT GTO 440whp/414wtq
      6.5 2500 Suburban 4x4
      1.9 TDI

23. 09-27-2008 06:36 PM #73
      Quote, originally posted by kmead &raquo;
      How about looking at the actual build and then make snide comments?
      He has done some really excellent engineering and remarkable fabrication work.
      You are welcome to not like what he did stylistically or critique material choices, but until you can actually do something, how about keeping comments that would require you actually have some expertise, to yourself.
      You (Intalex) are a complete ignoramus who has offered next to nothing to advancing knowledge or ability on the face of the planet. How about doing something and showing us just how magnificent you and the things you do are? Or is a life of posting and playing twitch games preventing you from actually offering anything of value to society?

Wow, settle down. I just thought it was funny that someone said this car, that hasn't been proven at all, proves the atom, which has been proven, is a POS. It was more of a tongue-in-cheek joke mirroring the ignorance of the poster I quoted.
      How about giving all the people who call the atom POS a nice little lecture too?
      run come save me

Vehicles
      2007 S2000
      09-27-2008 07:25 PM #74
      i like how this thread went downhill when it started from a really, really cool build.
      i dont see the issue with creating something that looks like something else. it happens ALL THE TIME. with lots of things.
      but the fact that he could create something like that from scratch is really, really cool.
      but if i were to choose between an atom or caterham, i would go with caterham. the atom is cool, but the caterham... the top version can also do 0-60 in 3 seconds. and i think it looks waay better.
      "Operation Storytime" | Blog | Instagram | Flickr | Tuna, no crust.

Vehicles
      2009 Odyssey | 2013 Fit | 99.5 Cabrio + BBM Stage 3 + Shine | 02 Mazda Protege5 | 02 Mazda Protege
      09-27-2008 08:29 PM #75
      Quote, originally posted by Chillininfl &raquo;

Doesn't look like it would have cost more than the typical upper middle class high schooler car. I know I'd be much more likely to spot my kid money to do something like this rather than getting a civic or a GTI and slamming it.
      Nothing to see here move along.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast