Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guy builds Ariel Atom clone from "Junk?

1. 09-27-2008 01:35 PM #71
      Quote, originally posted by Chillininfl »
      Still wonder how he payed for all the stuff. I guess the obvious thought would be utah>mormons>big money>rich parents> fake atom?

You're only 19, lets make stupid assumptions about how you paid for your cars.

2. 09-27-2008 01:52 PM #72
      Quote, originally posted by The Kilted Yaksman »

You're only 19, lets make stupid assumptions about how you paid for your cars.

Make all the assumptions you want. I split this account, so one of the rx-7s in my profile is my brothers. Yeah my parents paid for my first car when i turned 16, and yes it was less than 2,000 dollars. I bought my rx-7 after working hundreds of hours while in my sophomore and junior years of highschool. These were the hours not taken up by track or lacrosse Realized it wasn't worth it, sold it to my dad (yeah he did me a favor) and bought the 3 a few months ago.

Also, if you didn't know, for being such a small isolated religion the Mormons are very successful and are one of the few religions who really preach and teach about being successful and making a lot of money.

But really, go **** yourself. and while you're at it, your assumptions too.

3. 09-27-2008 01:54 PM #73
      To sum up the thread... That is the most awesome pile of crap I have ever seen.

4. 09-27-2008 02:00 PM #74
      I will agree, that judging by the picture...if thats his drive-way, this kid is definitely not "poor" so to speak. Still...awesome.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI, '10 CC
      09-27-2008 02:01 PM #75
      I think I've seen this kid before.....

MAKE ME MY ATOM, JOSH...

Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L, 1999 2500 Suburban 6.5, 2003 Golf TDI
      09-27-2008 02:55 PM #76
      Quote, originally posted by subwoffers »

That or Dumb, poor, unnecessary dangerous.

I don't know about dumb, subwoffers.

When I was a kid, I had dyslexia. I used to write about it in my dairy.
      6.0 LS2 6MT GTO 440whp/414wtq
      6.5 2500 Suburban 4x4
      1.9 TDI

7. 09-27-2008 07:36 PM #77
      Quote, originally posted by kmead »

How about looking at the actual build and then make snide comments?

He has done some really excellent engineering and remarkable fabrication work.

You are welcome to not like what he did stylistically or critique material choices, but until you can actually do something, how about keeping comments that would require you actually have some expertise, to yourself.

You (Intalex) are a complete ignoramus who has offered next to nothing to advancing knowledge or ability on the face of the planet. How about doing something and showing us just how magnificent you and the things you do are? Or is a life of posting and playing twitch games preventing you from actually offering anything of value to society?

Wow, settle down. I just thought it was funny that someone said this car, that hasn't been proven at all, proves the atom, which has been proven, is a POS. It was more of a tongue-in-cheek joke mirroring the ignorance of the poster I quoted.

How about giving all the people who call the atom POS a nice little lecture too?

run come save me

Vehicles
      2007 S2000
      09-27-2008 08:25 PM #78
      i like how this thread went downhill when it started from a really, really cool build.

i dont see the issue with creating something that looks like something else. it happens ALL THE TIME. with lots of things.

but the fact that he could create something like that from scratch is really, really cool.

but if i were to choose between an atom or caterham, i would go with caterham. the atom is cool, but the caterham... the top version can also do 0-60 in 3 seconds. and i think it looks waay better.

Vehicles
      2009 Odyssey | 2013 Fit | 99.5 Cabrio + BBM Stage 3 + Shine | 98 Golf 2.0 Beater | 02 Mazda Protege
      09-27-2008 09:29 PM #79
      Quote, originally posted by Chillininfl »
      Still wonder how he payed for all the stuff. I guess the obvious thought would be utah>mormons>big money>rich parents> fake atom?

Doesn't look like it would have cost more than the typical upper middle class high schooler car. I know I'd be much more likely to spot my kid money to do something like this rather than getting a civic or a GTI and slamming it.

Nothing to see here move along.

09-27-2008 09:46 PM #80

Diy_ariel_atom

"The Ariel Atom is an amazing car and a sure-fire way to lose your license in a hurry, but with a price tag north of 50 grand, it can be tough putting one in your driveway. Unless you build it yourself.

That's just what one enterprising but so far anonymous gearhead in Utah did, cobbling together an impressive copy of the Atom from junk he had lying around. The body was fashioned from an old kayak and a doghouse. The stainless bits were recycled from old appliances, and the throttle assembly was pulled from a Dumpster. It's all attached to a frame that's fashioned from what looks to us like old steel pipe, and the engine was pulled from a junked Acura RSX.

The builder, a college student known by his Flickr moniker Proximacentauri, spent 800 hours over the course of 15 months building the car, which offers impressive performance.

Proximacentauri says his Ariel Atom clone, which he calls Z59, cranks out about 160 horsepower and does 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds - just under a second behind the real Atom. The car's street-legal and registered, and Proxicentauri claims it gets 35 mpg.

You can follow the full build-up on his Flickr page, which is where we got the photos after first reading about the Z59 over at MAKE."

His Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/25435483@N00/

Modified by subwoffers at 4:52 PM 9-26-2008

Shoot, I'll pay him up to $10k to make another!

Modified by radroc at 5:48 PM 9-27-2008

11. 09-29-2008 01:17 AM #81
      All right...there seem to be a few questions, so I'll do my best.

First me:

I'm an 18 year old former high school student (now in college). I built the car over a period of 15 months, as the many blogs say. I spent a grand total of around $11000. I spent my entire life savings ($4000 or so) and worked for two summers to support it. Last summer, my schedule: wake up at 8, work on the car for an hour, go to work, get back around 5, and work till midnight or 2 am. It wasn't much fun, but I had to get it done before college. Also, I did it almost entirely alone - my dad thought I was crazy and no-one else in my family has any engineering experience. I contracted out the metal bending and the suspension bits were lasercut, but that's about it. I built a welder out of microwave ovens, which would work for 7 seconds before the circuit breaker cut in. I ended up having to put in my own 220v line and buying a real welder, before learning to actually weld.

Components:
      yes, the components may not be spec for an Ariel Atom. First of all, Everything that is on the car is there because of price. The reason it isn't 300 HP? Price. The reason I don't have carbon fiber things? price. The reason the front and rear black panels are actually cutouts of common plastic objects? Again, price. Many of the components are actually race spec components. The steering rack is from an circle track car, the ball joints are the exact same as those in the Atom, The steering u-joints are from the racing company Sweet manufacturing. Also, in many cases, there are a couple improvements on the atom's design. The greatest improvement I made was in the bell-crank system in the suspension - I used tapered roller bearings in the cams. The atom uses phosphor-bronze bearings, which tend to wear out quickly. Also, the friction created by the bronze bearings requires the shock valving to be adjusted specifically to compensate. On my car, the shocks are from (presumably crashed) four yamaha R1s. The shocks don't have as much travel as those on the atom, but that's compensated with my cam system. Plus, you have to pay thousands more for the adjustable shocks in most race cars. The R1 shocks have 12 rebound and compression adjustments, as well as 200 lbs of preload adjustment or so. And, they're really pretty. And, they're around $30 each, compared to around 1000 each for a real one. They work just as well for what I'm doing. This is the same deal for basically every component in the car, from the shifter extensions to the throttle pedal I built from scratch. The only area where I didn't try to skimp was brakes. I'm using a Wilwood aluminum racing pedal set with four front Civic SI brakes.

But before I continue with the comparisons, it's worth nothing that I didn't set out to copy the Ariel atom. I set out to build a car that looked like the ariel atom. The perceptive among you will notice that the difference is in the method. Instead of copying the atom step for step, part for part, I had a general goal in mind.

Safety:

As some of you saw, I did crash simulations on a rough outline of the frame. It turns out that because of the lack of doors, the frame design is actually incredibly safe. I actually used thicker steel than that on the real atom, but my welds are probably more suspect. The frame was one part where I didn't use "junk" as the blogs seem to say that I did. The frame is ERW 1018 steel. The roll bar material is 2.5" .120 DOM 1018 steel, which is larger that the steel used in most off-roader roll bars. The "Junk" was for several small things, like the body panels and the throttle pedal.

Suspension:

I spent three months learning about, understanding, and designing the suspension. I can tell you pretty much every angle.
      KPI: 16 degrees.
      Caster: 12 degrees
      Roll center: 1.5 inches
      Bump Steer (theoretical): .001" toe in over 5" bump
      Bum Steer (measured: .1" toe out over 5" bump

The Suspension was the hardest problem I've ever solved in my life.

And so on and so forth. I had to deal with Camber gain in roll, ackerman compensation, scrub radius, steering axis, and around 10 more terms. I used a freeware program called Wishbone to do the suspension calculations. On a related note, I used Alibre Express (free!) to do the CAD model of the frame, and solidworks to do the suspension, once I found enough money to buy a real cad program.

Also, the Atom uses custom-made knuckles. I don't have the fabrication capability to make my own knuckles (uprights if you're British) So I had to build the suspension around these knuckles. Since the Civic SI knuckles are designed for a macpherson strut, converting them to double wishbone took a good 20-30 hours, primarily in CAD design.

Despite all this, it handles incredibly well. The steering is unbelievably sharp. The car doesn't randomly oversteer. The car is stable at 80 mph. (without alignment. I just eyeballed it, and it tracks almost straight) I haven't been on a race track, so I don't know if it oversteers or understeers.

And finally, prettiness: I had two weeks to do all of the bodywork and the painting. Also, I don't have any of the normal sheet metal tools: I have a hacksaw and a belt sander. Weirdly enough, wood jigsaw bits cut stainless much better than metal jigsaw bits. Even when dull. Don't ask- I don't understand. Also, it's the first time I painted anything. The paint didn't turn out so well. By the time the bodywork and everything else was done, I had 4 days left. 1 day (8 to 2 am) disassembly, 1 day painting, and 2 days reassembly (also 8-2am or so). My goal was to finish it at that point, not to enter a car show.

Once again, head on over to Locostusa to check out my build log. Also, check out my friend JonW's build log in the mid-engine vehicle build log "locost vtec atom." He has a lot more experience than me. For pictures, register at locostusa.com. My log has a bunch of pictures

Any other questions? I hope I've answered a few. If you want to hire me, I'm in college right now, but I have a couple summers available.

Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      09-29-2008 01:23 AM #82
      Great work, great write up, an welcome to Vortex.

I hope you're in school for some sort of engineering. Anything else would be a shame, and we need good engineers right now.

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta Wagon, WJ Grand Cherokke
      09-29-2008 02:58 AM #83
      proximacentuari - Welcome to TCL. I hope you took the asshats with a grain of salt. While your car might not be pretty, I'm sure it works very well for what you need it to do. I just recently decided to finally start the process of building my own car as well. Mine is going to be built in a similar vein to yours and other exocars, but will be a three-wheeler instead. Your build is very inspirational - I can only hope mine turns out as well.

If you find yourself in Denver, let me know so you can stop by.

HAVE/HAD: Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac, Land Rover, VW (x5), Buick, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge, Nissan, Ford, GMC, Jeep
      WANT: FIAT 500C Abarth, VW Scirocco Mk1, Alfa Romeo GTV, Lotus Esprit, Audi TT, 240Z, Lancer Evo VIII RS,
      Hudson Hornet, Porsche 964, Mini Cooper, Caterham SV, M-B CLS63 AMG, DeTomaso Pantera

14. 09-29-2008 03:15 AM #84
      proximacentuari - very impressive, esp for someone your age. Truly impressed.

Vehicles
      1992 E36 325is
      09-29-2008 03:20 AM #85
      Impressive and thank you to make time and post in CL.
      I wish I had the skill to build and design components to build my own car.
      I will buy you a beer at soonest you are 21yrs old.
      Sofa King uro

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      C'mon man, you know that criticizing wheel size is the de facto way to show your mettle as an elitist car snob.

16. 09-29-2008 07:34 PM #86
      This is awesome. Period. I can't fathom why any car enthusiast would choose to criticize such a well-executed project.

17. 09-29-2008 07:51 PM #87
      really amazing work, and i shot you an IM i want to see this thing and i'm like 40 mins from you

Vehicles
      '08 RS4, '07 GT3 RS, '03 GTI 20th AE, '99 C43 AMG, '98 S500, '95 F512 M, '88 M6
      09-29-2008 07:57 PM #88
      He just OWNED evryone in TCL. We all know we all want to be him.

Awesome project, let me know when Gordon Murray hires you.

15 Odyssey w/out TV
      08 RS4; 07 GT3 RS
      03 GTi 20th AE; 99 C43 AMG
      98 S500; 88 e24 M6
      95 F512 M

19. 09-29-2008 08:11 PM #89
      Dude you are a B@D@$$!!
      I can't wait to see the next project car you build.

20. 01-11-2009 02:53 PM #90
      proximacentuari,

Excellent work sir. I signed onto this forum just to reply to your post LOL. Ignore those guys being negative. I will pay you to build me one. Seriously. IM me. Was looking at purchasing an atom this year. 65K for something i'll drive 10 times a year? I'd rather pay you

Vehicles
      1995 M3/1987 325is
      01-11-2009 03:06 PM #91
      Quote, originally posted by tehAndy »
      Not even a college kid.

Did it in his senior year of high school

Question to any TCL member: Did you do anything this cool in your senior year of high school?

Started the ping pong club. Boo-YA, hello third tier school of my choice.

I'm going to be working for this kid someday, so I'm going to start sending congragulatory emails now.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      01-11-2009 04:39 PM #92
      Quote, originally posted by RS4PD »
      He just OWNED evryone in TCL. We all know we all want to be him.

Awesome project, let me know when Gordon Murray hires you.

hahaha, so true. very nicely done and something that i would love to do but ill stick with improving cars i already have. not as exciting but whatever. as for the "world class" parts arguement, thats dumb. nothing says that he cant upgrade the parts when he has the dough, right? as he said, hes already improved on an atom practice so nothing stops him from continuing the "evolution" that caterham owners love to tout so much.

nicely done and keep building stuff. ill eventually build something from scratch, probably bike powered but, until then, ill admire the people who have taken something that i dream about and are making it a reality.

01-11-2009 08:57 PM #93
      Awesome job.
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

https://twitter.com/Flyin18T

24. Banned
      01-11-2009 09:01 PM #94

That or Dumb, poor, unnecessary dangerous.

its safe but takes some getting used to

25. 01-11-2009 09:43 PM #95
      Quote, originally posted by koko12 »
      prove the Ariel Atom is an overpriced POS.

You've GOT to be kidding me! Nissan may be trying to compete w/ Porsche with their Skyline but the Atom still blows both cars away in everything but top speed and is cheaper than either car.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      I'd plow her like a cornfield. HNNNNG

26. 01-11-2009 10:16 PM #96
      When I was 18 I was trying to ollie down 9 stairs,this kid build a car haha. He should be picked up by some car company and given a job today!

27. 01-11-2009 10:22 PM #97
      This Thread is an instant TCL classic! One of the most interesting things I've seen in this forum by far. Congrats on this accomplishment.

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      01-11-2009 10:33 PM #98
      Awesome to see the builder on here. Great work, for someone your age, you probably have far more skills than 80% of the monkey's knocking your build in this thread. Nice work Don't mind the haters.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      93 525iT

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      01-11-2009 10:39 PM #99
      damn...the haters got quiet real fast. sweet car man, you are a legend amongst men. what will you build next?
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

30. 01-11-2009 10:45 PM #100
      Quote, originally posted by proximacentuari »
      Good words.

You rock!

That's all.

31. 01-11-2009 10:51 PM #101
      You should have combined forces with the other Salt Lake City area faux Atom. http://www.superlitecars.com/roadster_spec.html

When I first saw this and saw you were from Utah, I thought maybe it was a joke, someone trying to take credit for Superlite's Atom style car. That, or you were the one who built it for them. But there are differences in chassis design which are pretty evident.

Small world this is. Did you know of their project before you started yours?

32. 01-11-2009 10:59 PM #102
      Man that's an awesome job.

Did you ever think of pulling an engine out of a liter bike for it? Or maybe a wrecked Cobalt SS Turbo?

The R1 shocks -- wow, great idea on a budget.

I wish I could do that.

Vehicles
      2000 GTI 1.8T, 2012 Kizashi S iAWD
      01-11-2009 11:06 PM #103
      Quote, originally posted by VTECeateR »
      I think I've seen this kid before.....

MAKE ME MY ATOM, JOSH...

I KNEW he looked familiar!

34. Member
      Vehicles
      M44/40F20CS65
      01-11-2009 11:14 PM #104
      If they have a Formula SAE team at his college, I think they just got themselves a winner.

Vehicles
      '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster
      01-11-2009 11:23 PM #105
      Quote, originally posted by proximacentuari »
      All right...there seem to be a few questions, so I'll do my best.

All I can say is that you did a fantastic job. Well done!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast