Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Archive: K-Car!

1. 09-30-2008 11:38 AM #26
      Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
      12,000 mile warranty and a 5.1-digit odometer - they weren't really confident in the longevity, eh.

All de rigeur at the time, I suspect.
      Check out the handling and braking results compared to the domestic competition.
      call it potatography

2. 09-30-2008 11:38 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by WhistlerYOW »
      LOL... I wanna kill myself for understanding that reference and laughing .

I ain't holding on to your katra for you you green-blooded SOB.

Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      09-30-2008 11:39 AM #28
      Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
      12,000 mile warranty and a 5.1-digit odometer - they weren't really confident in the longevity, eh.

I don't think any of the domestics were at that time. My 86 Cutlass Supreme had a 5.1 digit odometer, and most 70's and 80's Detroit iron did as well IIRC.
      You may not remember it, but when Ford came out with the Duratec motor and touted its "100,000 mile tuneup" intervals, it was kind of a big deal. Meanwhile the Japanese were laughing and the Germans plotting another invasion of Poland, but thats for another thread.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

4. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-30-2008 11:43 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by DesertJets »
      A mint Plymouth Reliant would be my choice, just as long as I live in state where NCC-1864 is available as a vanity plate.

It took me a second... but only one!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2012 CC R Line, 2007 Passat Wagon, 2001 Jetta VR6, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      09-30-2008 11:45 AM #30
      A friend of mine still drives one daily, but listen to this!
      He bought it for $50 (yes I said fifty!)approx. 5 years ago with 180K miles and drives it a 100 round trip to work every day and it now has over 340K miles.
      It has only had a couple mechanical problems in all that time and I think he has probably only put a few hundred into it since. I think he replaced the radiator ,water pump, and fuel pump along with tires and brakes and that was about it.
      He is actually pretty bad at maintaining it; for example he hardly ever does an oil change. He waits until he hears the lifters ticking and adds a couple quarts and figures it always gets fresh oil that way.
      He told me last week that he thought it was finally done since it has a big oil leak and is not worth fixing, but he is still driving it for now. He calls it "Blue Thunder"

Modified by randyvr6 at 8:47 AM 9-30-2008

6. 09-30-2008 11:54 AM #31

It doesn't help that I just watched "The Wrath of Khan" over the weekend.
      Browsing Youtube there a ton of great old K-car commercials out there.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJv02Z3SQc
      this one is a little cocky if you ask me
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMxvC1WA4ZY
      And the best:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJfnu5sKMo

Modified by DesertJets at 11:55 AM 9-30-2008

Vehicles
      1965 Volvo 122S
      09-30-2008 11:58 AM #32
      Ah...the K-car wagon. Lots of memories there...

...and most of them not very good. That car was just an unrelenting pile of crap. I don't think it ever made a single major trip without breaking down at least once.
      There's a very young tehAndy somewhere in the back of that wagon. Also, feel free to laugh at my dad's hot pants.

Modified by tehAndy at 11:00 AM 9-30-2008

Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac Sunfire, 2008 Suzuki XL-7 AWD
      09-30-2008 12:11 PM #33
      Every so often I'll see an old "Dart" (Mexican-market K car) with Mexican tags running around the El Paso/Juarez area.
      My kids like me!

9. Swallow Doretti
      09-30-2008 12:26 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by Bixmen »
      but I love the days when you could get the exact option you wanted, no stupid packages.

But that's part of the reason the K-Car was so expensive. Think about it--this manual-transmissioned wagon stickered for just over $9K--back in 1981. Today, for about a grand more, you could drive a basic Kio Rio off the lot with A/C and a CD radio--not to mention an extra cog in the gear shift, six airbags, and cloth seats. The Rio would smoke the K-Car to 60, it would stop in shorter distances, and it would get better fuel economy while doing it. It would also be significantly more reliable, too.
      It's easy to see how cars like the K-Car drove Americans to Honda Accords and Toyota Camries.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      09-30-2008 12:30 PM #35
      The funny thing is, if someone in The Car Lounge found a 4 speed manual Aries wagon with the rare and costly optional heated rear window- we'd all go green with envy! Admit it!
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

11. Old man yelling at cloud
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf SportWagen TDI, 2015 Honda Fit EX, 1970 Honda C70 Super Cub
      09-30-2008 12:31 PM #36
      The later-model injected cars just refused to die. Anything from, say, 1986 onward. The 2.2 and 2.5 were appliances in every measure of the word, and damn good at it.
      The Carbureted Ks with the 2.2, however, were crap. Everything was a kludge of electrified controls and feedback carburetors and air pumps that kinda, sorta, maybe worked to keep emissions in check. But, since all the systems were mechanical and required periodic adjustments and maintenance, everything would gum, sludge, and drift out of adjustment until the cars wouldn't idle, wouldn't start, and wouldn't run at a steady state.
      The best early K had the Mistubishi 2.6 with the Mikuni carb, but even that had its share of issues, most of them surrounding Mikuni's use of plastic gears on the high-idle cam that liked to strip out when it was cold outside. Replacement, of course, required buying half of the carb new, which was $600 in the late 1980s.
      It was the advent of the EFI models that made the Ks really, truly, durable cars. Not stellar, not fun, not any virtue that we ascribe to motoring, but *durable*.

12. Swallow Doretti
      09-30-2008 12:42 PM #37
      Of course, in 1986, Honda launched its third-generation Accord, a car that pretty much rendered the domestic competition--the Tempo, the Citation, and especially the K-Car--utterly obsolete.

13. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-30-2008 01:08 PM #38

Ah Hellz no. Trek nerds unite!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI 6MT; 2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT
      09-30-2008 01:41 PM #39
      Quote, originally posted by Wes@motivemag »
      The later-model injected cars just refused to die. Anything from, say, 1986 onward. The 2.2 and 2.5 were appliances in every measure of the word, and damn good at it.

Gotta disagree there. The 2.5s had a chronic damp/cool weather starting problem. The only "fix" for it was to turn the ignition on, let the fuel pump run, turn it off, then go half throttle and start it again. Now the bodies, on the other hand, were remarkably durable and rust resistant.
      By the way, I got to take my date to the prom in a nearly new 1986 Plymouth Reliant wagon - baby blue metallic on baby blue, with three-speed auto. Damn that was manly!
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 04 VW R32
      09-30-2008 01:51 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by Air and water do mix »
      Ah Hellz no. Trek nerds unite!
      Ok. What class did the Reliant belong to? /hijack
      And if love remains, though everything is lost, we will pay the price but will not count the cost. -Neil Peart
      All hands, abandon ship!! Repeat, all hands abandon ship!!!!!
      I'm addicted to track!
      I'll stop "Hatin'" when YOU stop acting like a jackass.

16. 09-30-2008 01:55 PM #41
      Quote, originally posted by Bixmen »
      I can't tell which I love more. the $75 for sound insulation, or the 668 dollars for misc options!
      but I love the days when you could get the exact option you wanted, no stupid packages.

seriously...now adays if you want an extra cupholder you have to spring for the Deluxe Beverage Package that includes heated/cooled holders and costs $450

17. 09-30-2008 02:45 PM #42
      Memories of my high school driver-training class ...
      A choice was given of learning either manual or automatic. If you picked automatic, the training vehicle was a 1986 Nissan Micra (1.2 litre engine and 3 speed automatic). If you picked manual, which I did, the training vehicle was an early-eighties Plymouth Reliant 2.2 litre 4 speed manual, 2 door sedan. If only they had ordered the transmissions the other way 'round. The Micra was a decent car in manual form but terrible with automatic. The K-car was just terrible, but the manual added to its terribleness.
      Gawd that thing was awful. At the time I took the course, I was already rather familiar with the 1978 Civic that I would later "inherit" ...

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2014 Porsche Cayman
      09-30-2008 03:11 PM #43
      Pardon my ignorance, but why were they called "K-cars"?

Vehicles
      2014 Golf TDI wagon, 2003 Passat 1.8T
      09-30-2008 03:13 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by U n i o n 0015 »
      Pardon my ignorance, but why were they called "K-cars"?

That's a good question.

20. 09-30-2008 04:28 PM #45
      The Chrysler chassis code was K, just like the Mk. V Golf/Rabbit is A5 for example.
      These cars were so hyped, so well known at the time, with so much riding on their success, that even everyday ordinary non-enthusiasts knew these were the new Chrysler K-body cars. Even well before they came out. They were so well known as 'K-cars' that Chrysler put the K emblem on them when they were released, to try and capitalize on the pre-existing exposure of these cars' development.

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2014 Porsche Cayman
      09-30-2008 04:47 PM #46
      Quote, originally posted by 93JC »
      The Chrysler chassis code was K, just like the Mk. V Golf/Rabbit is A5 for example.
      These cars were so hyped, so well known at the time, with so much riding on their success, that even everyday ordinary non-enthusiasts knew these were the new Chrysler K-body cars. Even well before they came out. They were so well known as 'K-cars' that Chrysler put the K emblem on them when they were released, to try and capitalize on the pre-existing exposure of these cars' development.

Wow, interesting. It's funny because I hear people refer to them more as "K-cars" than their actual model name.
      Thanks!

22. 09-30-2008 04:50 PM #47
      Quote, originally posted by 93JC »

Yep. My father's '83 Reliant wagon had a big old K badge right on the hatch.
      call it potatography

23. 09-30-2008 04:56 PM #48
      It was the advent of the EFI models that made the Ks really, truly, durable cars. Not stellar, not fun, not any virtue that we ascribe to motoring, but *durable*.

Our '84 600ES had the TBI 2.2, and despite the cars short comings it never left me stranded nor did it ever die on me. I always knew when I turned the key it would start. It may have been a mousy shade of gray that long since lost its luster, it may have had a sagging headliner, and it may have been slow as sin. But it would not die. With the ES package it got some nifty alloy wheels and comfy bucket seats too.

Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac Sunfire, 2008 Suzuki XL-7 AWD
      09-30-2008 08:41 PM #49
      The best early K had the Mistubishi 2.6 with the Mikuni carb, but even that had its share of issues, most of them surrounding Mikuni's use of plastic gears on the high-idle cam that liked to strip out when it was cold outside. Replacement, of course, required buying half of the carb new, which was $600 in the late 1980s.

Didn't they also suffer from the same oil burning that plagued most Mitsubishi engines of that era?
      My kids like me!

Vehicles
      06 GTI
      09-30-2008 10:03 PM #50
      I know a guy who recetly inherited a purple K-coupe. It's got a couple dents, but runs like a champ. He had the interior redone in two tone fuscia vinyl for $600. Cracks me up when I see him driving it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Taipei_E92 View Post
      If you generalize...you are always going to get it wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast