Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Is it time for you to get a 24V Turbo Kit ? ***

1. 10-07-2008 08:51 AM #72
      This thread is giving me a headache

half the people ripping on this product have their own turbo setups already... and seem to have no interest in this product outside of discrediting it.

Second I think that this Hardware only kit is a great idea, it allows a greater flexibitlity for customers who might not want a generic tune. Go standalone, or have a chip shop custom tune for you. What could be better than that. Half the tuenrs on here complain that c2 offers a blanket tune and they don't like that. Well this is a great opportunity to get a bigger turbo from a reputable company and have it custom tuned.

Be thankful that someone sees fit to produce a decent kit that has all the hard work done. The BIG things for turbo projects are always the manifolds and turbo location, after that everything is fairly generic, Turbos are almost always outsourced IE Garret, so are injectors, harnesses, WG, BOV , oil lines and etc. Its not like Kinetic made everything from scratch. They developed and made the manifolds, flanges down pipes and the parts for our particular application. the rest they sourced for what would be appropriate for a good product within the space and price requirements. Its that simple. I do not see how this kit can be any less reliable than any other kit on the market. T3 flange aside... this kit should be able to blow to 320+ HP easy, without even working hard.

finally, I like this business strategy, If anything I think this makes the company more competitive within a NICHE MARKET.

Finally I hate to break it to everyone but there is no liability on any tuners behalf if they sell you a kit, and you bunk your motor.

retail is a tricky business although I did LOL at the explanation of mc D's selling coke but not making it. good response.

2. 10-07-2008 11:34 AM #73
      Thanks guys, new pricing and further details will be up in the next few hours, watch for the edited post with parts listing.

10-07-2008 02:38 PM #74
      Quote, originally posted by c0ntract_thrilla »
      This thread is giving me a headache

half the people ripping on this product have their own turbo setups already... and seem to have no interest in this product outside of discrediting it.

Second I think that this Hardware only kit is a great idea, it allows a greater flexibitlity for customers who might not want a generic tune. Go standalone, or have a chip shop custom tune for you. What could be better than that. Half the tuenrs on here complain that c2 offers a blanket tune and they don't like that. Well this is a great opportunity to get a bigger turbo from a reputable company and have it custom tuned.

Be thankful that someone sees fit to produce a decent kit that has all the hard work done. The BIG things for turbo projects are always the manifolds and turbo location, after that everything is fairly generic, Turbos are almost always outsourced IE Garret, so are injectors, harnesses, WG, BOV , oil lines and etc. Its not like Kinetic made everything from scratch. They developed and made the manifolds, flanges down pipes and the parts for our particular application. the rest they sourced for what would be appropriate for a good product within the space and price requirements. Its that simple. I do not see how this kit can be any less reliable than any other kit on the market. T3 flange aside... this kit should be able to blow to 320+ HP easy, without even working hard.

finally, I like this business strategy, If anything I think this makes the company more competitive within a NICHE MARKET.

Finally I hate to break it to everyone but there is no liability on any tuners behalf if they sell you a kit, and you bunk your motor.

retail is a tricky business although I did LOL at the explanation of mc D's selling coke but not making it. good response.

I agree 100%

B5 S4
      84 GTI (Sold)
      03 24v turbo (sold)

10-07-2008 04:00 PM #75
      So for $250 more you get 100 more hp @ 18 PSI.... If anyone gets stage 2 IMO of course your an idiot. Nice looking set up..

5. 10-07-2008 04:06 PM #76
      Quote, originally posted by Houston24V »
      So for $250 more you get 100 more hp @ 18 PSI.... If anyone gets stage 2 IMO of course your an idiot. Nice looking set up..

labor cost.

~ 2.9L24VAWICVR6TGTI ~ "NuckinFutz" ~ SOLD 8/19/10
      New England Herpetoculture - Exotic Animals & Supplies

Vehicles
      05' PSM STI, 03' 24VT GLI
      10-07-2008 04:15 PM #77
      Quote, originally posted by Houston24V »

Doing a hg spacer is a pita and it's listed at at least 10hrs of labor

The internet is serious business.

Vehicles
      97 A4, 98 VRT, 01 S4, 02 996TT, 04 A4, 11 GTI, 12 Golf R, 13 ??
      10-07-2008 05:41 PM #78
      Hey guys, pricing on page 1 has been updated (lowered), product info on the website has also been updated.

Click Here to visit MKIV 24V VR6 section of CTS Turbo

Vehicles
      05' PSM STI, 03' 24VT GLI
      10-07-2008 07:44 PM #79

good pricing for a kit, all bs aside in this thread.

The internet is serious business.

10-08-2008 01:40 AM #80
      Quote, originally posted by Clay @ CTS Turbo »

I have never heard or seen an axle break and knock off an oil drain line in all my years, i'll mention that to the guys at Kinetic though.

in all your years of turbocharging 24v's ? Or just any car that wraps the oil drain from the turbo around a peice of the driveline that breaks ??

Just checking.

I don't know how far you can drive with no broken axle, people generally shut the car down anyway because it doesnt drive with broken axles.

I live in florida... i'd sit with the car on in the A/C waiting for the tow truck... Just saying.

It would take a while for all the oil to drain out too, because where the oil drains into the pan is above the oil level otherwise it wouldn't gravity drain.

So the turbocharger that the engine is pumping pressurized oil into is mounted below the oil pan ????!?!?! I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here ??? LOL

What size is the restrictor on that feed line ?

Tell me that, and I can tell you roughly how long it will take to drain the ~6 quarts of oil in that engine with it idling at ~40psi oil pressure.

your idea has been noted though Fat Jon

I mean seriously... if someone isn't going to buy your, *ahem* sorry Kenetic's, kit because of a silly thing like that, they weren't going to buy it in the first place... just giving my 2 cents since i dont like having to rebuild engines because of stupid oversights made either because someone "didnt think it would matter" or to save a couple bucks on a piece of stainless line and some fittings ... whatever the case may be... and since you are fashioning this kit with Unitronic software for people to buy, I was just suggesting that perhaps you would also like to fashion an upgraded part that could lead to catastrophic engine failure.

10. Banner Advertiser CTS Turbo's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-08-2008 02:37 AM #81
      Quote, originally posted by Fat Jon »

in all your years of turbocharging 24v's ? Or just any car that wraps the oil drain from the turbo around a peice of the driveline that breaks ??

Just checking.

Fat Jon, you really need to spend more time thinking and less time writing. Of all the VW FWD VR6 turbo cars I have seen, built, been a part of, and driven I have never heard of an axle breaking and knocking the oil drain line off.

So the turbocharger that the engine is pumping pressurized oil into is mounted below the oil pan ????!?!?! I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here ??? LOL

What size is the restrictor on that feed line ?

The hole in the restrictor is 0.035". If the oil drain hose is knocked off while doing burnouts with NOS like you mentioned, and you're stupid enough to keep the car running when the OIL WARNING LIGHT FLASHES AND BEEPS you probably deserve to have your engine sieze.

Tell me that, and I can tell you roughly how long it will take to drain the ~6 quarts of oil in that engine with it idling at ~40psi oil pressure.

Like I said, its 0.035" How long would you watch the oil warning light flash and beep for before you would shut down your engine?

I mean seriously... if someone isn't going to buy your, *ahem* sorry Kenetic's, kit because of a silly thing like that, they weren't going to buy it in the first place... just giving my 2 cents since i dont like having to rebuild engines because of stupid oversights made either because someone "didnt think it would matter" or to save a couple bucks on a piece of stainless line and some fittings ... whatever the case may be... and since you are fashioning this kit with Unitronic software for people to buy, I was just suggesting that perhaps you would also like to fashion an upgraded part that could lead to catastrophic engine failure.

Fat Jon, although I think you have a good idea, but of the 100's of turbo kits that have been sold by Kinetic, none have had an axle break and knock off the oil drain line.

In fact this thread was updated about 12 hours ago, with a link to the hardware kit on the CTS Turbo website, and you'll be happy to know that the finalized kit includes a stainless steel braided drain.

Thanks Fat Jon, if you'd like to order one let me know, "bottles are for babys, real men like to get blown"

Modified by Clay @ CTS Turbo at 8:38 AM 10-8-2008

Vehicles
      VF STAGE 2 2003 GTI VR6
      10-08-2008 02:45 AM #82
      bahahahahahaha
      VF Stage 2 24v VR6 ------ Big Turbo .:R32 Swap in the making

Vehicles
      '03 GTi 24v VR6
      10-08-2008 07:42 AM #83

"bottles are for babys, real men like to get blown"

That definitely doesnt apply to women.

Price makes a bit more sense now. Thx for the update Clay.
      Now lets see some pics of the final product.

- Cyn
      My Ride : Morpheus **
      Your Ottawa/Gatineau VW/Audi Forum
      Instagram
      Quote Originally Posted by Travy View Post
      You own no one if you're running any type of Corvette wheel...

13. 10-08-2008 07:54 AM #84
      Kit looks decent, is there anyway you guys would swap parts into and out of this kit for extra $$? I probably would have more faith in Garret. I took a look at the Rotomaster site, and they seem to be decent, but Garret has a lot of pedigree and its hard to argue with that. That Kinetic mani looks sick.

Also will kinetics be offering a T4 flange manifold? or is T3 all thats in production?

14. Banner Advertiser CTS Turbo's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-08-2008 10:49 AM #85
      Quote, originally posted by c0ntract_thrilla »
      Kit looks decent, is there anyway you guys would swap parts into and out of this kit for extra $$? I probably would have more faith in Garret. I took a look at the Rotomaster site, and they seem to be decent, but Garret has a lot of pedigree and its hard to argue with that. That Kinetic mani looks sick.

Also will kinetics be offering a T4 flange manifold? or is T3 all thats in production?

That shouldn't be a problem, I think it is only T3 flanged, but I will talk to the Kinetic guys when they come back from the Eurotuner GP, apparently today is the track evet.

Roto turbos have been used in Kinetic Turbo Kits for years now, but they primarily make industrial turbos, some of which are used by the US Army. They have been getting into the automotive business slowly, they are prototyping a new ball bearing design now. As you can imagine the market for OEM replacement turbos for trucks/machinery ie: caterpilar, komatsu, cummins is larger than the market for us Automotive guys.

Vehicles
      2.9L 24v twin turbo VR6 on a stand, 2002 S6 Avant
      10-08-2008 11:10 AM #86
      Let's keep the discussion to facts, not waist size, please. If you're going to dispute something about the kit, do so in a constructive manner.
      Driversport|| Valley Dubs PM me for all your Fragola Fittings and Billy Boat Exhaust Needs!!!

The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #4

My Build Thread

10-08-2008 08:01 PM #87

In fact this thread was updated about 12 hours ago, with a link to the hardware kit on the CTS Turbo website, and you'll be happy to know that the finalized kit includes a stainless steel braided drain.

Ok, so obviously someone with more power over the kit than you, thought it was a good idea, guess i can't be too stupid. LOL

Best of luck selling it!

17. Banner Advertiser CTS Turbo's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-08-2008 09:30 PM #88
      Quote, originally posted by Fat Jon »

Ok, so obviously someone with more power over the kit than you, thought it was a good idea, guess i can't be too stupid. LOL

Best of luck selling it!

That's right Jon, McDonalds sells Coke, but they don't change the recipe of Coke.

Let me know if you want to pick up a kit

18. 10-09-2008 07:32 PM #89
      Rubber, braided, either way, the setup pictured for the return just looks, rushed or unfinished. .02

I will say Ive snapped an inner joint on the drivers side without slicks or even a prepped track

STaSIS | Eurojet
      Summit Point Raceway
      O) 888.9.STaSIS ext. 128
      ejinfo@stasisengineering.com

19. Banner Advertiser CTS Turbo's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-09-2008 07:41 PM #90
      Quote, originally posted by John@EurojetRacing »
      Rubber, braided, either way, the setup pictured for the return just looks, rushed or unfinished. .02

I will say Ive snapped an inner joint on the drivers side without slicks or even a prepped track

Finalized kit will have stainless steel braided

20. 10-10-2008 01:21 PM #91

Finalized kit will have stainless steel braided

Good "judgement" call guys

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3341424

21. Banner Advertiser CTS Turbo's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-10-2008 01:29 PM #92
      Quote, originally posted by pOrKcHoP bOy »

Good "judgement" call guys

You can thank Fat Jon, if it was up to me, I would use stainless steel braided lines all the time, but thankfully the guys @ kinetic have seen the light.

22. 10-10-2008 01:47 PM #93
      STaSIS | Eurojet
      Summit Point Raceway
      O) 888.9.STaSIS ext. 128
      ejinfo@stasisengineering.com

23. 10-10-2008 08:43 PM #94
      Quote, originally posted by John@EurojetRacing »

I love your bumping skills John

24. 10-11-2008 01:32 AM #95
      Nice to see you still around clay. I used to ask for you at kinetic when ordering for our shop. Then I heard your were gone and was disapointed.

Bump for a good salesman.

By the way kit looks good love the fitment of the turbo over the cramped C2 kit. Easy acces to the wastegate if the gasket goes also.

25. Banner Advertiser CTS Turbo's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-11-2008 12:09 PM #96
      Quote, originally posted by vdubspeed88 »
      Nice to see you still around clay. I used to ask for you at kinetic when ordering for our shop. Then I heard your were gone and was disapointed.

Bump for a good salesman.

By the way kit looks good love the fitment of the turbo over the cramped C2 kit. Easy acces to the wastegate if the gasket goes also.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was lord of the rings, then i was like ya, those guys are the only ones I know from Dallas, and i didn't put LOTR in your sig together haha.

Thanks Jon

Vehicles
      2003 IY GTI 20th AE / 2004 GLI 24v VR6
      10-11-2008 03:22 PM #97
      dumb question but can the stage 3 kit make well over 400hp? i mean a 700 hp capable turbo making 400 you know what i mean
      also how reliable would you rate this kit next to others?

27. 10-11-2008 04:39 PM #98
      Quote, originally posted by GTI 20th AE #1421 »
      dumb question but can the stage 3 kit make well over 400hp? i mean a 700 hp capable turbo making 400 you know what i mean
      also how reliable would you rate this kit next to others?

There are many other things that have to be taken into consideration. A stock 24v motor would not be able to handle 700 horsepower. I am positive that with the proper fueling, more boost, and a built motor, the kit could make well over 400hp. The kit really doesn't have as much to do with it as most would think. It is, after all, basically an air compressor and some pipes. Put this stuff on a built 3.0l with some serious fueling and you could most likely make 600+whp all day long.

28. 10-15-2008 01:10 PM #99
      Quote, originally posted by GTI 20th AE #1421 »
      i mean a 700 hp capable turbo making 400

b/c the rotomaster turbo that comes with this kit has a T3 turbine, not a T4. A T67 with a .84 T4 hotside flows approx. 75 lb/min which would be more indicative to the 700 hp you mentioned.

Regardless, the stock intake manifold would limit the amount of boost you could run anyway (generally less than 1bar) and hence why the T3 is more appropriate for this turbo kit.

Step up to a SRI and your capability to run the amount of boost would increase dramatically, which would improve your whp capability as well.

Modified by pOrKcHoP bOy at 5:24 PM 10-15-2008

29. 10-15-2008 01:20 PM #100
      Quote, originally posted by pOrKcHoP bOy »

b/c the rotomaster turbo that comes with this kit has a T3 turbine, not a T4. A T67 with a .84 T4 hotside flows approx. 75 lb/min which would be more indicative to the 700 hp you mentioned.

Irregardless, the stock intake manifold would limit the amount of boost you could run anyway (generally less than 1bar) and hence why the T3 is more appropriate for this turbo kit.

Step up to a SRI and your capability to run the amount of boost would increase dramatically, which would improve your whp capability as well.

30. 10-17-2008 02:03 PM #101
      hey im new to vw i own a 2003 jetta gli... i was wondering were should i start out performance wise...

Vehicles
      '03 GTi 24v VR6
      10-17-2008 02:15 PM #102
      Quote, originally posted by silverbullit03 »
      hey im new to vw i own a 2003 jetta gli... i was wondering were should i start out performance wise...

Kinda of the wrong thread to ask that I would think.
      If your looking to do 300whp+ then Turbo Kit is the answer.

- Cyn
      My Ride : Morpheus **
      Your Ottawa/Gatineau VW/Audi Forum
      Instagram
      Quote Originally Posted by Travy View Post
      You own no one if you're running any type of Corvette wheel...

32. 10-17-2008 03:00 PM #103

33. 10-17-2008 03:24 PM #104

This is for you.

34. 10-17-2008 03:39 PM #105
      Give the guy some credit, he dosn't mess around. Get's straight to the point, you know what I mean?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast