Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jack stand locations

1. 10-08-2008 02:40 AM #1
      this has been an ongoing search for me,
      but i'd liek to get it over with:
      if i want to put the whole car on 4 jackstands, where do i put the jackstands and where do i jack the car up from?
      the fronts i can get, but the rear i cant figure out where to put jackstands under.

Vehicles
      '10 Mustang GT
      10-08-2008 02:49 AM #2
      I'm actually really interested in this too. I've never jacked a car up onto four stands. I'd really like to hear a step-by-step process of doing it safely.

3. 10-08-2008 02:51 AM #3
      doing my mom's forester is so much easier, you dont have to jack it up 1 corner at a time.

Vehicles
      W210, E21, B5.5
      10-08-2008 03:17 AM #4

All the info you seek, can be found in the owner's manual.
      This is what sarcasm and snarkiness looks like, with a smidge of displaced smugness, and justified jadedness

5. 10-08-2008 03:21 AM #5
      brb, while i run out to grab mine.
      ive looked in there a few times before, couldnt find it.
      edit: mine says where to lift, and thats the same place as the spare tire jack, at the arrows, but does not specify a place for jackstands.

Modified by dubsker at 12:26 AM 10-8-2008

6. 10-08-2008 03:38 AM #6
      oh yeah, btw is anyone's rubber undercoating coming off where the jack points are?
      just read the manual and it says use a rubber pad, which my jack has, but the rubber is still coming off.
      is this bad?

Vehicles
      MKV GTI
      10-08-2008 03:45 AM #7
      where would you jack in order to put the jack stands under the car?

8. 10-08-2008 03:46 AM #8
      ive been putting my frotn jack stands on the control arm mounts, those giant chunks of aluminum.
      i just want to know the best place.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      10-08-2008 07:24 AM #9
      If your car has sideskirts, there are arrows at the bottom of the pieces that show the jack points at each corner of the car. Your manual is great a resource for this type of information.

Vehicles
      06 GTI
      10-08-2008 08:00 AM #10
      I usually jack on the A-arm and place the jack stands on the jack points, as indicated above.
      Quote Originally Posted by Taipei_E92 View Post
      If you generalize...you are always going to get it wrong.

Vehicles
      2006 MKV GLI
      10-08-2008 09:46 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by dubsker »
      ive been putting my frotn jack stands on the control arm mounts, those giant chunks of aluminum.
      i just want to know the best place.

It is. The rear is the place that seems to be giving the most people hesitation about where to put the stands and how to jack it up to put in the stands
      Thats a sexy picture too Twelvism! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      2006 Deep Black Jetta GLI <19" RS4's> <235/35 BFG KDW's> <Eibach Pro-Kit> <Xenon Fogs & F-T-P> <Golf GT Grill> <Valentine 1> <OSIR Shift Boot> <Smoked Mirror Markers> <Euroswitch> <LED Tails>

Future Mods: Audi style LED DRL's

Vehicles
      '10 Jetta TDI, '13 Cruze Eco
      10-08-2008 10:01 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by MN6845 &raquo;
      If your car has sideskirts, there are arrows at the bottom of the pieces that show the jack points at each corner of the car. Your manual is great a resource for this type of information.

Those arrows are there even if you don't have side skirts.

Vehicles
      4.6L 44V 10 Cylinder Turbo
      10-08-2008 10:25 AM #13
      i usually jack the car up using the jack points indicated by the arrows, and then put my jacks on the A-Arm mounting points closest for the front jacking point, and in the rear, i again use the jacking point indicated by the arrows, and point my jack stand to the right of the jack where there is what looks like a ball mounted on the frame with two large bolt heads beside it. i haven't been under neith the car lately, but i believe it is the mounting point for the rear cross beam, but i could be wrong.
      also, take caution is jacking a car up one corner at a time, the jack stands already put up act as a pivot, and when you jack up another side, the car may slide off of the jack stand.
      ***PM me for VAGCOM services, parts installs and repair, and light fabrication work in the SOMD/VA area***

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post
      And I'm just letting you know that you don't know entirely what you are talking about.

14. 10-08-2008 10:37 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by zoidmk5 &raquo;
      also, take caution is jacking a car up one corner at a time, the jack stands already put up act as a pivot, and when you jack up another side, the car may slide off of the jack stand.

our cars are pretty rigid. i'm not saying i recommend it, but i removed 1 of 4 jackstands on the drivers rear side. i had to reposition to get the front stand out, and the rear of the car stayed in the air and didnt pivot or sag at all. i was very surprised!

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      10-08-2008 12:17 PM #15
      It would have been very nice if we could have had some central jack points on both front and rear. I've previously owned Hondas, they all had this, and it certainly made getting the car up on 4 jackstands much easier.

16. 10-08-2008 12:35 PM #16
      can someone confirm a spot for the rear?

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      10-08-2008 04:25 PM #17
      I lift the entire car from the front jack points. I have found I can safely position my jack so that it contacts the stock jack location (vertical metal reinforced jack plate) and not the plastic parts (see third pic for detail). Lifting from the front jack point, both front and back wheels come off the ground. Jack up one side and place front and rear stands, duplicate on other side.

This permits placing the rear jack stand on the marked rear jack point,

I place the front jack stand under the alloy cap securing a suspension mounting point.

This seems pretty solid. I guess you could jack from the suspension point and put the stands at the front jack points too, haven't tried that yet.

I actually try and sort of push the car off the jack stands before I crawl under it, and the front stands can "settle".
      the three places I have supported the car, so far nothing has bent.
      floor jack pic taken under full weight of car, before placing the jack stands.

Front jack stand under load

Rear jack stand under load

2102 US Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)

Vehicles
      2013 MKVI GLI - Manual / 1998 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6 - Manual
      10-08-2008 04:31 PM #18
      nice post jetturbo, thats where i've placed my jack stands as well

Modified by ZoomBy at 2:42 PM 10-9-2008

Vehicles
      MKV GTI
      10-08-2008 07:15 PM #19
      can we add this to the diy?

20. 10-09-2008 11:01 AM #20

21. 10-09-2008 11:41 AM #21
      There are also jack points under plastic covers up front inboard..there's a hole there and you can buy a two piece jacking pad from ESC tuning that snaps in there...there are also holes in the rear near the jacking points that two more of these go into back there. I put my car up on ramps first to get my jack under the support pad then jack it up and put stand out on the jack point where the arrow mark is. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

22. 10-09-2008 02:00 PM #22
      If you dont feel confident putting jackstands under your maybe you shouldnt be working on your car. me personally i use a lift.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      10-09-2008 02:34 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by spitpilot &raquo;
      There are also jack points under plastic covers up front inboard..there's a hole there and you can buy a two piece jacking pad from ESC tuning that snaps in there...there are also holes in the rear near the jacking points that two more of these go into back there. I put my car up on ramps first to get my jack under the support pad then jack it up and put stand out on the jack point where the arrow mark is. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

I am aware of that option, but it makes me a little nervous. I could find no mention of this lift point in the Bentley shop manual. I had found posts in the archive that did not help my confidence in that idea ...
      excerpted from lifting the car vwvortex June 2007
      Quote, originally posted by "chris86vw - lifting the car vwvortex 10:18 PM 6-29-2007";0 &raquo;
      ... I have seen way too many cars with the floors crushed in the area of where the jack pads go.. way too many cars come in with the floors ripped out there by bad tow truck drivers.
      I am a certified VW/audi tech, own my own shop, and work for another company...I would never install, recommend, or use those pads

Quote, originally posted by TDI-4-RD &raquo;
      Ok, thanks for the clarification. But damn, now I'm worried! What I don't understand is why VW/Audi would manufacture the lift pads in the first place, if that point is not reinforced. Are what we're calling "lift pads" for some other purpose?

Quote, originally posted by chris86vw &raquo;
      I have no idea.. I don't understand them.. but also they are not sold by dealers in the US last I checked.. I have not seen them in ETKA listed as being installed in that location.
      If you look at ANY documentation though VW/Audi never lists that as a proper way or point for jacking the car up.

2102 US Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)

Vehicles
      1998 A4 Quattro
      10-09-2008 02:43 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by dubsker &raquo;
      oh yeah, btw is anyone's rubber undercoating coming off where the jack points are?

They make a spay that you can put on to "replace" the wax coating. Advance Auto had it last time I was there.
      "Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly"

Vehicles
      2013 MKVI GLI - Manual / 1998 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6 - Manual
      10-09-2008 02:43 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by NastyJettaNza &raquo;
      If you dont feel confident putting jackstands under your maybe you shouldnt be working on your car. me personally i use a lift.

i dont think anyone should ever be 100% confident when working underneath a car, jack stands or lift becuase you never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast