Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rough Idle and No Acceleration Power on 2000 VW Beetle - Need Help

1. 10-20-2008 08:08 PM #1
      My dad is a mechanic, and he is working on a 2000 VW Beetle 1.8T that is for sale. It has a very rough idle and, when accelerating, has very little power when you are accelerating. I have been wanting a VW for a long time and finally have the chance to possibly get it cheap. I have already test driven it and when you gas it, it shifts gears normally but does not gain much speed. It seems, though, that once it is warmed up and I've ran it about a 1/2 a mile it seems to work perfectly fine. Also, when you are just sitting it idles very badly. It isn't a manual, and I know manual's tend to have a rough idle. I really love this Beetle and want to know if there is anything he can do to fix it. He has done all he can, but can't seem to figure out what the problem is. He isn't a VW expert, in fact, he barley ever works on them... so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas as to what the problem could be. Thanks!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      02' New Beetle Turbo S
      10-20-2008 08:26 PM #2
      Get the beetle scanned for codes, look them up to get diag info; vacuum leaks and coil pack failures are common...

3. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Jetta GLI VR6
      10-20-2008 08:28 PM #3
      The first place to always start is by scanning the ECU for DTC's. It could be any number of things, so you really should start with that. Look into purchasing some VAG-Com software and that would help significantly.

Depending on mileage, it would be a good idea to go through the car with new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, all the basics. There are many ignition related issues with the MK4 chassis so thats where I always start when trouble shooting running issues on anything 99.5 and up.