Already had a couple posts out there so I thought I would put it all together in one place.
Thanksgiving weekend 2007 I walked into my local Audi dealer and ordered an S5. No discussion with the salesman, no test drive, no bull****. The owner of the dealership is a friend of the family, and as such I received an un-requested discount off of MSRP. I was told the car would be in around March, no problem, as it would give me time to sell my GTI and I probably wouldn't drive it in the winter anyway. As the weeks ticked away, Audi's supply problems with the A5/S5 became readily apparent, and with absolutely no word from the dealer or the manufacturer whatsoever, I readjusted my expectations to having the car for the beginning of (Maine) summer. For the S5's Audi was allocating cars once a month, from allocation time it was three months until the dealer saw the car. I kept waiting, the hope for the beginning of summer turned into the hope for 4th of July, then the hope that it would see summer at all, then finally the that the car I ordered in 2007 would be delivered before the 2009.
During this entire time, there was no communication from Audi or the dealer, I went in once a month and received the same "I have nothing to tell you" every single time. Audi's allocation system is based on dealer volume, and as a small dealer, my dealer was set to receive 3 cars in 2008. That we knew, but we didn't know when the 3rd car (my spot) would be allocated. As people who ordered cars in mid 2008 started to get allocated (at larger dealers), I became increasingly frustrated. At the end of July hedged my bets, and found a dealer on long island with a configurable allocation set to be delivered at the end of October and placed another deposit. At the end of August I went in to the Maine dealer, told the owner it wasn't personal, then got pissed. I told him I wanted a phone call from him or the Audi district rep telling me something, I didn't care what it was, but I wanted a phone call. I never received that call.
End of September I got received a VIN # from the dealer on Long Island and verification the car was on a boat. Thursday I got a call that the car was in early. Hopped on a flight Saturday morning and drove it back yesterday.
The dealer in Maine has still not received an allocation.
No giant plastic covers here