Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jetta trunk not closing

1. 11-01-2008 03:00 PM #1
      My trunk will not close all the time. some times when you try to close the trunk the latch does not latch. more often the latch catches but the light on the dash tells me the truck is open. when this happens i can pry and pry and the truck won't open and the truck open button does nothing. to open the trunk i have to use the key.

this happen about 15 months ago and the dealer replaced the latch however i am now out of warranty and the part is 70.00 plus labor which will be about 200-300.

any other fixes? i just don't belive that 2 latched falied in 3 years. could it be dirt or somthing else?

2. 11-01-2008 03:32 PM #2
      I'm on latch #3 at about 78K miles. I replaced mine myself after ordering the part from the dealer for about $58.00. It's easy to replace--really just a couple bolts. I'd consider giving it a try. You can pretty much look at the "old" latch and figure it out. Mine seemed secure a couple times, with the MFD lit up, then I'd find the trunk open later. I could always (eventually) get the trunk to close with the broken latch----by slamming the crap out of it. Sometimes a couple of times. Seriously. Consider doing it yourself.

3. 11-01-2008 03:43 PM #3
      do you know the part number?

seems like VW did a poor job here. i wonder why they brake.

4. 11-01-2008 04:19 PM #4
      The inside parts are plastic and, my guess, become brittle and break (maybe from the cold?). I don't have the part number any more, but the dealer's parts guy can look it up for you. Just tell him /her that you need a MK5 trunk latch. I doubt yours will be the first they've sold. There seemed to be a slight difference between the older /newer latches, so maybe this last one I installed will hold out. Easy install.

5. 11-09-2008 04:02 PM #5
      i took mine apart and found out that it was a little spring causing the issues. the spring is able to move pass a stop. all you have to do is bend the spring a little on the end making the ID smaller. all fixed. works everytime now.

i'll post pics if people want them.

6. 11-09-2008 09:10 PM #6
      Great recommendation. I am going to try it on mine. I have this problem sometimes when the temperature is in low 30s and it is very annoyning. The mfd says the trunk is open but the only way to open is is with the key.

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      11-09-2008 09:14 PM #7
      Could you please post pictures?

This same thing happened on our old 2005.5, but I'm hoping it doesn't happen in my 2007. How else am I supposed to get the trunk open if the latch breaks? There's no outside key release on the trunks for the 2007s.

- Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

8. 11-09-2008 09:53 PM #8
      i have this problem but with my subwoofer. it will say the trunk is open in the MFD then it will eventually pop the trunk open if you keep playing the song.

9. 11-09-2008 11:01 PM #9
      Yeah this happens to me during the winter only... Please post pics of the spring...

Also because I have the factory spoiler, my trunk doesn't automatically raise all the way? Anyone know how I can boost the stock opener?

2006 VW GLI 2.0T 6MT - APR Stage 2 91/93/100 APR DP | Snow Performance 2.0T W/M
      ECS Tuning Dog Bone Insert |Stern MKV Rear Brace | Dan GSR 28.5mm Custom RSB

10. 11-09-2008 11:14 PM #10

Here you can see all of the insides. The little red switch is what lights up the MFD. when the spring in messed up the switch can not be pressed in 100%

here you can see the sping in the wrong spot. when it is like this it won't reset the system.

here is the spring after the fix. all i did was take a pair of small pliers and made that last ring smaller. it is still round.

Modified by Firedogut at 10:18 PM 11-9-2008

11. 11-09-2008 11:22 PM #11
      Please note that there is 4 screws that hold the trunk liner in place. there is also about 8-10 snaps. once the liner is off there are two bolts (10mm) and two cables (one for the key lock and one for the manual handle.)

once you have the latch out of the car there is 4-6 little push things holding the cover on the latch. just look at it, it is easy to figure out.

Vehicles
      11-10-2008 01:04 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by RoadRager »
      Yeah this happens to me during the winter only... Please post pics of the spring...

Also because I have the factory spoiler, my trunk doesn't automatically raise all the way? Anyone know how I can boost the stock opener?

Two things: the only time this happened was in the winter for us. Perhaps the something funky happens with the spring piece when it gets cold...?

As for the trunk, the force with which it opens has nothing to do with the latch; it has to do with the two pistons on each side of the trunk. You may be able to install beefier ones, but they may not fit properly. Also, it's not the spoiler that keeps the trunk from opening all the way. Our 2005.5 didn't have a spoiler and the pistons just got weak over time. Maybe it's just time for yours to be replaced. How many miles are on the car? (Side note: What part of MN are you from? My uncle works on the bomb squad in St. Paul.)

- Jeremy.

P.S. Thanks for posting pics of the latch!!

Modified by jtrujillo86 at 10:06 AM 11-10-2008

It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

13. 11-10-2008 01:11 PM #13
      If the work was done during warranty, I'd tell them to fix it for nothing. They should stand behind the work they perform.

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      11-10-2008 01:14 PM #14
      Subscribed in case I need it later

Vehicles
      2006 MKV GLI
      11-10-2008 01:58 PM #15
      Happened to me, responding in case I need this later when I am out of warranty. It only happened when it was closed and the dealer fix said "replaced trunk latch". I think I started a thread on this a long long time ago when it happened to me.

edit: found it

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2708563

Modified by jonfran21 at 11:00 AM 11-10-2008

2006 Deep Black Jetta GLI <19" RS4's> <235/35 BFG KDW's> <Eibach Pro-Kit> <Xenon Fogs & F-T-P> <Golf GT Grill> <Valentine 1> <OSIR Shift Boot> <Smoked Mirror Markers> <Euroswitch> <LED Tails>

Future Mods: Audi style LED DRL's

Vehicles
      11-10-2008 04:19 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by kylexray »
      If the work was done during warranty, I'd tell them to fix it for nothing. They should stand behind the work they perform.

The labor is usually warrantied for life and parts are warrantied for 12 months or 12K miles. If the WORK is found to be at fault, they'll cover anything. However, if the part fails after the warranty period, you'll have to pay for parts and labor.

- Jeremy.

17. 11-13-2008 03:26 PM #17
      I just fixed my latch using the info in this thread. Thanks to Firedogut and all that helped figure out the problem. My trunk also thanks you...it was tired of being slammed multiple times!

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI 4dr, MKV Jetta
      11-21-2008 08:43 PM #18
      Looks like I'll be giving this a try tomorrow. We've been having this same problem for a couple months now. Now the latch is locked closed with the trunk open - had to tie it down for the night.

Thanks for the info!

I will build you a website for the right set of wheels (or money for said wheels). I'm not kidding.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI 4dr, MKV Jetta
      11-22-2008 12:55 PM #19
      I tightened the spring, but the latch won't open. See how it is stuck in the locked position. Any idea how to release it?

I will build you a website for the right set of wheels (or money for said wheels). I'm not kidding.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI 4dr, MKV Jetta
      11-22-2008 06:09 PM #20
      anyone?

21. 11-22-2008 06:35 PM #21

22. 11-22-2008 10:07 PM #22
      you need to post pictures of the inside for us to help. there is a littile black lever that resets the latch. you can see it in my pics.

if that lever is broken you will have to buy a new latch.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI 4dr, MKV Jetta
      11-23-2008 08:07 AM #23
      Here ya go.

24. 11-23-2008 12:31 PM #24
      the black lever next to the red switch should open the latch.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI 4dr, MKV Jetta
      11-23-2008 02:50 PM #25
      I see. There's a spring that connects to the latch that isn't connected on one end. Looks like the wife is going to need to take it to the dealer for some warranty work. Hopefully they don't give her hell since I was tinkering with it.

Thanks again for the info.

26. 12-24-2008 12:13 PM #26
      Wow... Firedogut that worked GREAT. You just saved me $250, which is the amount a new one would have cost me to have my local VW shop replace it.

Merry Christmas.

27. 12-24-2008 12:18 PM #27
      yea my trunk is hard to close when it is cold out. I have to slam the crap outta it to make it shut. I just don't open it when it is cold out anymore..

28. 12-24-2008 12:35 PM #28
      I took a little shorter route. Same issue, won't latch when it was cold. I sprayed WD-40 into it and it's worked every since. Not sure what that has to do with the spring not being properly seated, but who cares - if it's working, that's all that matters. If this method stops working, I'll revert to taking it apart and fixing the spring. Thanks for the pics and explaination.

Herkypilot

29. 12-28-2008 07:52 PM #29
      Can you send Me some pics??

30. 12-31-2008 09:24 PM #30
      Damn, I didnt think this will happen to me but it did today.

It was -12C outside and I was struggling to close the trunk. I did end up locking it manually then unlocking using the remote, Im guessing it got stuck because of the cold.

What a PITA.....

DUB'N IN THE DOT

31. 02-21-2009 12:32 AM #31
      Thank you for posting the photos, this was an easy fix, trunk works great......thanks to you.
      Cheers, Mike.

32. 03-01-2009 03:48 PM #32
      Anyone still having problems with their trunk after trying all this lot?
      I think I have found the real problem.
      If anyone's still interested I will put together a post.

33. 03-01-2009 05:16 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by Volkstephen »
      Anyone still having problems with their trunk after trying all this lot?
      I think I have found the real problem.
      If anyone's still interested I will put together a post.

I still do, its intermittent. Happened again to me last week at work and it was freezing outside. I ended up using duct tape to shut the trunk close, now its working again

Whats the real issue? I havent gone to the dealer yet

DUB'N IN THE DOT

34. 03-02-2009 07:18 AM #34
      Ok try this:

Open the trunk.
      Pry off the dayglo cover to the emergency release lever.
      Unsnap the release lever and unhook the cable.
      Make sure the cable nipple isn't catching on anything.
      Try the trunk now.

If it's like my car, the emergency release cable is too short, not allowing the lock to cycle through.

This is just a test to find the problem. I wouldn't be running around without the handle in place, especially if you have kids. With mine, I ground the back of the nipple away but there's probably a better way.

Good luck, Let me know if it helps.

35. 10-05-2009 08:14 AM #35
      Sorry to revive this thread, but I've been having this issue with a 2007 Jetta and have done the following:

- Replaced latch - didn't work
      - Fixed old latch using spring trick - didn't work
      - Removed emergency release handle and cable - didn't work
      - Adjusted pin where latch latches - didn't work

I'm out of ideas, the truck always closes fine, but sometimes decides to open 10 second later again, this also happens while driving! VERY annoying and dangerous. For the time being, I've disconnected the electrical connection to the trunk latch, and it does not open.

Every time the truck does open, I can hear the motor opening it, so somehow it's being triggered. Is there a relay or control unit I can have a look at? Maybe messed wiring? Or maybe some kind of switch?

HELP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast