Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who fans unite!

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      12-20-2009 06:59 PM #36
      They haven't appeared anywhere, yet, mate. Part 1 of The Christmas Special(End of Time) will air in the UK on Christmas Day, and the next day here- That's not even worth downloading, I'll just wait. Part 2 will play New Year's Day in the UK and January 2nd here on BBC-A.

Not sure when the new kids will take over, but it will probably be the end of End of Time.

Waters of Mars was AWESOME, but did The Doctor go too far????

Also- Karen Gillan was in The Fires of Pompeii

Modified by SidVicious at 4:01 PM 12-20-2009

12-21-2009 11:26 AM #37
      Quote, originally posted by eluwak »

Honestly I thought it was one of the poorer episodes done. They were supposed to do 4 this year... two down and xmas to go so I guess they'll not do the 4th, or show it next year.

I have to agree with you. I was expecting more from the episode. But I really did enjoy it. I do see what they're trying to do by really setting up the Doctor to fail and ultimately regenerate.

It was really interesting to see the Doctor start to get selfish... although it's SO out of character! It's a gamble I think on the writer's part... very different way for a Doctor to go, by spiraling out of control versus dying in battle.

The next few episodes will be interesting.

12-21-2009 11:30 AM #38
      Quote, originally posted by SidVicious »
      ......but did The Doctor go too far????

That was the really interesting parts for me... watching this Doctor realize that he's f'in LOSING IT!

It was really interesting seeing him so bitter and powerful by changing a fixed point in time, only to see that taken away from him when Captain Brooke took her own life anyway.

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      12-21-2009 02:24 PM #39

I really want this shirt.

Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      12-24-2009 07:40 PM #41
      Quote, originally posted by Arsigi »

OMG, where can I buy that shirt?!!?!?

No sign of it on Think Geek.

"Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      12-24-2009 08:16 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by EK20 »
      OMG, where can I buy that shirt?!!?!?

No sign of it on Think Geek.

You are in luck - looks like they still have some left: http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=8901

Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted

Vehicles
      12-24-2009 11:28 PM #43
      Huzzah!

Must. Resist. Buying. Anything. For. Myself.

To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

12-30-2009 02:21 PM #44
      End of Time Part 1 was great.
      It was cool/funny when every human on Earth turned into The Master.

Part 2 will be very interesting!

The return of the Timelords!!!

9. 12-30-2009 02:24 PM #45
      cool stuff

>>>> Lego Dalek Invasion video! >>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiaWcKZrUc0

Vehicles
      12-30-2009 09:33 PM #46
      Now I have to buy Legos to try that myself.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      Subaru Forester, Mazda Miata
      12-31-2009 08:46 AM #48
      ^^^ That's awesome!!!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      12-31-2009 09:35 AM #49
      Quote, originally posted by Arsigi »

You are in luck - looks like they still have some left: http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=8901

Score! Got one! They still have them if anyone else is interested.

The wife and I are actually playing catch up on the new show (having watched the originals as a kid) and just started going through Season 1 last night. Overall they are decent, interesting rethink on the Doctor's character. Only episodes I haven't liked was the two parter where those baby faced blobby things (Slythen or whatever they were called) showed up, pretty lame bad guys to deserve a two parter. Oh well....

EDIT:

OK, so these freaking Slythen or whatever they are showed up again, ugh. Anyways, for those who have seen the remaining seasons of the show, can you answer me one question please? Does the Doctor EVER go anywhere else BESIDES freaking Earth in the new shows?????? Seriously, he keeps going to freaking London or Kardif (sp?) over and over and over and over and over again. He can go anywhere in any time and he spends all of his time on Earth, WTF? It's not like John Pertwee's Doctor where he was stranded, this guy has a fully functioning TARDIS. I'm really getting tired of Rose too. So please, does this get better because if not, I don't know if I want to bother seeing season 2.......

Modified by MeineFolks'wagen at 3:59 AM 1-1-2010

Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

Check out my really basic Fiat 500 board and let me know what you think: http://fiatcinquecento.freeforums.net/

Vehicles
      01-01-2010 04:16 PM #50
      Ok, I gave in and bought one of those shirts.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      01-01-2010 05:03 PM #51
      Funny about those shirts... I ended up getting one for Christmas.

We, too, are getting caught up on the recent series... halfway through season two (the first David Tennant season).

Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted

Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      01-01-2010 06:21 PM #52
      Well people, the second part of The End of Time has aired over here. It was a fitting end to David Tennents tenure, I won't say any more than that and ruin it for you.

After Doctor Who Confidential on BBC Three, they ran a new season trailer featuring Matt Smith. Got to say it does look good. I was sceptical about him at first, but now I've seen this I can't wait for the new series in the spring.

It is available to watch on the BBC website, not sure if it's available outside the UK though.

Edit.
      I traded my Scirocco for this.

Modified by Dr Dub UK at 10:34 PM 1-1-2010

To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      01-01-2010 08:05 PM #53
      I hate to say it, but after finishing the first "new" season last night, I won't be watching it anymore. I went and looked at the synopsis of every episode of the new show from season 2 through the current season and I think with the exception of 2 or 3 episodes, every freaking episode occurs:

A) On Earth during either the 18th century, 51st century, or during the 21st century
      B) Some space station or other orbiting Earth

You've got to be kidding me, that's the best the BBC writers can come up with?? Five seasons of a new Doctor Who and that's it?? He's not like it was with John Pertwee's reign where he was more or less stuck on Earth, the new Doctors have a fully functioning TARDIS and can go anywhere at any time. So how come I have to keep watching domestic spats between Rose and Mickey? How come I have to keep watching goofy attempts at bi-sexuality with Harkness and lame ass TV "Weakest Link" shows in the future?

We more or less exclusively watch nothing but BBC programs and this is the best that they can do? With today's CGI technology and what not, they can't do like the old days and have the Doctor traveling the universe for adventure? You guys can render a Nazi blitz of London in 1941 but can't put some guys in green costumes with bubble wrap for some alien action? C'mon guys! I don't care if the sets look like something from Star Trek in the 1960's, have the guy get out of the Milky Way already! Am I alone in this?

Check out my really basic Fiat 500 board and let me know what you think: http://fiatcinquecento.freeforums.net/

01-02-2010 05:46 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by MeineFolks’wagen »
      I hate to say it, but after finishing the first "new" season last night, I won't be watching it anymore. I went and looked at the synopsis of every episode of the new show from season 2 through the current season and I think with the exception of 2 or 3 episodes, every freaking episode occurs:

A) On Earth during either the 18th century, 51st century, or during the 21st century
      B) Some space station or other orbiting Earth

You've got to be kidding me, that's the best the BBC writers can come up with?? Five seasons of a new Doctor Who and that's it?? He's not like it was with John Pertwee's reign where he was more or less stuck on Earth, the new Doctors have a fully functioning TARDIS and can go anywhere at any time. So how come I have to keep watching domestic spats between Rose and Mickey? How come I have to keep watching goofy attempts at bi-sexuality with Harkness and lame ass TV "Weakest Link" shows in the future?

We more or less exclusively watch nothing but BBC programs and this is the best that they can do? With today's CGI technology and what not, they can't do like the old days and have the Doctor traveling the universe for adventure? You guys can render a Nazi blitz of London in 1941 but can't put some guys in green costumes with bubble wrap for some alien action? C'mon guys! I don't care if the sets look like something from Star Trek in the 1960's, have the guy get out of the Milky Way already! Am I alone in this?

Give the other seasons a chance.... there's a good number of episodes outside the realm of the Milky Way.

Not only that, in the later seasons, you'll start seeing old faces from the original series begin popping up for stints on the show! Even K-9 returns.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      01-02-2010 03:53 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by JimmyD »

Give the other seasons a chance.... there's a good number of episodes outside the realm of the Milky Way.

Not only that, in the later seasons, you'll start seeing old faces from the original series begin popping up for stints on the show! Even K-9 returns.

Yeah I saw that K9 shows up in a cameo along with Sarah in some of the synopses that I read, but like I said, I only saw about 3 episodes that happen someplace besides Earth. I was OK with it until about half way through the first season and then I started asking questions. I grew up with Doctor Who and I just can't watch it if all he does is hang around Earth, what's the point? I just can't believe that they've gotten away it for five years of new shows considering the rabid fan base the show has had for over 20 years. I mean, he would periodically pop up on Earth, but it wasn't the mainstay of the series. It would be like watching Star Trek if all they did was orbit Earth. They've got a starship and can't go anyplace besides Earth? Don't think so. It's like I said, I just can't believe that that's the best the writers can come up with for the new show, I was expecting so much more. Unfortunately, I won't bother with the rest of the shows because of the aforementioned reasons. Doctor Who is not a "terrestrial" show, it's supposed to be a show about intergalactic exploration and solving mysteries. It's not about hopping back in forth between the same three time periods on Earth constantly re-fixing whatever he screwed up from the last visit. Sorry, guess I'm an old purist

01-03-2010 08:08 AM #56

Yeah I saw.......
      ......Sorry, guess I'm an old purist

Fair enough.

I'm a big fan of the Tom Baker era myself... probably because that's when I discovered Doctor Who when I was a kid.

I still think you should tune in every now and then... as a fan of the original series myself, I think you'll be happily surprised with many of the new episodes.

20. 01-04-2010 03:14 PM #57
      If you watched the show you'd be able to answer these questions.

He hangs around the Earth because he has an affinity to Humans, whom he resembles, and because of the significance Earth plays throughout galactic history.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      01-04-2010 04:31 PM #58
      Quote, originally posted by DJMRDARK »
      If you watched the show you'd be able to answer these questions.

He hangs around the Earth because he has an affinity to Humans, whom he resembles, and because of the significance Earth plays throughout galactic history.

He's ALWAYS had an affinity for humans, that didn't keep him (or the show) from roaming the universe and time. He looks human (as do most races in the Doctor Who universe) because they generally didn't have the budget to make every alien race look "alien" (take a look at Star Trek again for a reference to "alien" humans ).

Every Doctor does a stint on Earth from time to time throughout the show, but again, it's not the mainstay of the series (John Pertwee's era notwithstanding, but he was marooned after all). He's never been portrayed as Earth's personal guardian (though he looks out for it obviously, but he does that for hundreds of other planets and species throughout the history of the show).

And for crying out loud, if he does HAVE to stay on Earth (for whatever reason), can he not go someplace BESIDES England now and again??? Can he not go someplace besides the same three time periods??

22. 01-04-2010 11:33 PM #59
      Do you complain that Superman hangs out in the USA instead of say...France?

This season as they moved closer and closer to the Doctor's "death" they fleshed out his affinity for the Earth and in particular the UK. Again, you had to of been a regular watcher to notice this.

I'm not sure what the hell you are complaining about. The Doctor has spent seemingly most of his episodes in the other reaches of the universe, or so far off into the Earth's future it counts as alien. There have been some present day on Earth episodes as well, but usually it came when defending it from Metal Men or Daleks. And then there's the alternate universe/Rose Tyler story line....good times. You are really making much about nothing.

Vehicles
      01-05-2010 12:13 AM #60
      I'm just enjoying the show. I don't really care where the Doctor spends his time.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

24. Member
      Vehicles
      01-05-2010 07:28 PM #61
      Do you complain that Superman hangs out in the USA instead of say...France?

This season as they moved closer and closer to the Doctor's "death" they fleshed out his affinity for the Earth and in particular the UK. Again, you had to of been a regular watcher to notice this.

I'm not sure what the hell you are complaining about. The Doctor has spent seemingly most of his episodes in the other reaches of the universe, or so far off into the Earth's future it counts as alien. There have been some present day on Earth episodes as well, but usually it came when defending it from Metal Men or Daleks. And then there's the alternate universe/Rose Tyler story line....good times. You are really making much about nothing.

Superman is an established "USA" type of character, he's based in Metropolis. But even he leaves Earth from time to time and travels around. However, that fact notwithstanding, his character was created and developed around one particular city and anything else that happens is secondary to those stories. The Doctor is, and always has been, a "universal" character. He's always roamed the universe and time. His coming to Earth now and again has always been secondary and not the primary story.

I don't know what show you've been watching, but I have seen or read nothing to indicate that the show is moving further and further out (again, with the exception of the three or so episodes that I mentioned). The future is meaningless since it's the same future over and over again - read my initial post(s) where I complain that the show occurs either:

A) Earth during the 21st, 51st, or 18th (plus or minus) century
      B) Some space station orbiting Earth

The fact that he goes back in forth during three time periods does not constitute "exploring" and it's not "alien" if he's still on Earth during future times - how is that alien??? It's the same stories over and over again and even if he does encounter an "alien", it's because they've conveniently placed them in England during one of those three time periods. Even when it's not Earth, it's an "alternate" Earth or "new" Earth.

I've indirectly watched the second season now (well, listened to it in the background while the wife watched it) since my wife wanted to continue give it a chance and there has been nothing that's changed. He's still on Earth and he's still bouncing between the same time periods or "alternate" Earths.

I'm b*tching about this because I don't see how anyone who watched the original shows, hokey as some of them may have been, can comfortably sit there watching five seasons of the same thing over and over again. They could use some of those stories if they'd just throw him onto another planet once in a while, how hard is it for crying out loud? It's like watching Deep Space 9 where everything is conveniently delivered into their laps every week because they are stationary and can't move. The Doctor CAN move and it's sad that they've decided to keep him Earth bound for whatever reason. Having him just time travel during a few different time periods on Earth is laughable. And if they ARE going to do that, for crying out loud, have him show up during some other time periods someplace besides England - it's too much of a cop out on their part to keep him there. This isn't a show about London suburbanites trying to get on with their lives. It's supposed to be a show about a guy that can travel anywhere in time and space. That doesn't mean hanging out on Earth (during one of three established time periods or an "alternate" version) the whole time. And again, the whole "affinity" thing is dumb, he's always had an affinity for humans (as I've already said). If you've seen ANY of the original shows, you would know that. There is 25 years of established canon for this character, his traits, habits, villains, and universe. There is so much material to draw from and even IF you want to re-invent the show, there is so much better that could be done.

I'm so pissed about this because it's another fond childhood memory destroyed. It's like when I sat around waiting for a new Star Wars movie to come out and I was treated to Jar Jar traipsing across the screen

Vehicles
      2013 Maytag Centennial
      01-05-2010 10:51 PM #62
      I'm not sure what the hell you are complaining about. The Doctor has spent seemingly most of his episodes in the other reaches of the universe, or so far off into the Earth's future it counts as alien. There have been some present day on Earth episodes as well, but usually it came when defending it from Metal Men or Daleks. And then there's the alternate universe/Rose Tyler story line....good times.

I love the show, and while it doesn't really bother me, I completely understand where he's coming from. It's a pretty common complaint of the new series.

There are a lot of episodes that take place on present-day Earth that don't involve the Cybermen or Daleks. In fact, even counting the parallel Earth in there, the former outnumber the latter about 3:1.

The majority of episodes take place on or in orbit of Earth, New Earth or the parallel Earth, or they're about saving the Earth or the human race. In the other cases, when they're on a space ship, space station, or some colony or city on another planet, they're usually either exclusively or primarily populated or run by people that the show goes out of its way to call "human" or say they're from Earth. The sad part is, in some of those cases, it wouldn't have mattered to the story at all if they'd simply called them some other species. The only two episodes that pop into my mind when I try to think of exceptions are Gridlock and Planet of the Ood, but even then they fall into what I just said for one reason or another.

Again, I love the show, but it is very much centered about the Earth/humans. A little variety there would be interesting. I'm not really bothered by it, but I definitely understand that complaint.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      01-06-2010 07:04 PM #63
      Quote, originally posted by z0d »

I love the show, and while it doesn't really bother me, I completely understand where he's coming from. It's a pretty common complaint of the new series.

There are a lot of episodes that take place on present-day Earth that don't involve the Cybermen or Daleks. In fact, even counting the parallel Earth in there, the former outnumber the latter about 3:1.

The majority of episodes take place on or in orbit of Earth, New Earth or the parallel Earth, or they're about saving the Earth or the human race. In the other cases, when they're on a space ship, space station, or some colony or city on another planet, they're usually either exclusively or primarily populated or run by people that the show goes out of its way to call "human" or say they're from Earth. The sad part is, in some of those cases, it wouldn't have mattered to the story at all if they'd simply called them some other species. The only two episodes that pop into my mind when I try to think of exceptions are Gridlock and Planet of the Ood, but even then they fall into what I just said for one reason or another.

Again, I love the show, but it is very much centered about the Earth/humans. A little variety there would be interesting. I'm not really bothered by it, but I definitely understand that complaint.

Thank you! Someone else gets it

Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      01-07-2010 06:18 AM #64
      I take your point here, but how many of those alien worlds in the classic series were filmed at the same old quarry in England. I'm a fan from way back in the early 70's, but being English it's the law to like Doctor Who.

Give the new seies a chance. Season 4 with Donna is the best yet. I can't stand Catherine Tates comedy show, but she is brilliant in Doctor Who.

To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

01-07-2010 06:29 AM #65
      Quote, originally posted by Dr Dub UK »
      I take your point here, but how many of those alien worlds in the classic series were filmed at the same old quarry in England. I'm a fan from way back in the early 70's, but being English it's the law to like Doctor Who.

Give the new seies a chance. Season 4 with Donna is the best yet. I can't stand Catherine Tates comedy show, but she is brilliant in Doctor Who.

I agree on all points you just stated.

By the way... the whole "being English it's the law to like Doctor Who" bit is too funny.

29. 01-07-2010 01:09 PM #66

Superman is an established "USA" type of character, he's based in Metropolis. But even he leaves Earth from time to time and travels around. However, that fact notwithstanding, his character was created and developed around one particular city and anything else that happens is secondary to those stories. The Doctor is, and always has been, a "universal" character. He's always roamed the universe and time. His coming to Earth now and again has always been secondary and not the primary story.

I don't know what show you've been watching, but I have seen or read nothing to indicate that the show is moving further and further out (again, with the exception of the three or so episodes that I mentioned). The future is meaningless since it's the same future over and over again - read my initial post(s) where I complain that the show occurs either:

A) Earth during the 21st, 51st, or 18th (plus or minus) century
      B) Some space station orbiting Earth

The fact that he goes back in forth during three time periods does not constitute "exploring" and it's not "alien" if he's still on Earth during future times - how is that alien??? It's the same stories over and over again and even if he does encounter an "alien", it's because they've conveniently placed them in England during one of those three time periods. Even when it's not Earth, it's an "alternate" Earth or "new" Earth.

I've indirectly watched the second season now (well, listened to it in the background while the wife watched it) since my wife wanted to continue give it a chance and there has been nothing that's changed. He's still on Earth and he's still bouncing between the same time periods or "alternate" Earths.

I'm b*tching about this because I don't see how anyone who watched the original shows, hokey as some of them may have been, can comfortably sit there watching five seasons of the same thing over and over again. They could use some of those stories if they'd just throw him onto another planet once in a while, how hard is it for crying out loud? It's like watching Deep Space 9 where everything is conveniently delivered into their laps every week because they are stationary and can't move. The Doctor CAN move and it's sad that they've decided to keep him Earth bound for whatever reason. Having him just time travel during a few different time periods on Earth is laughable. And if they ARE going to do that, for crying out loud, have him show up during some other time periods someplace besides England - it's too much of a cop out on their part to keep him there. This isn't a show about London suburbanites trying to get on with their lives. It's supposed to be a show about a guy that can travel anywhere in time and space. That doesn't mean hanging out on Earth (during one of three established time periods or an "alternate" version) the whole time. And again, the whole "affinity" thing is dumb, he's always had an affinity for humans (as I've already said). If you've seen ANY of the original shows, you would know that. There is 25 years of established canon for this character, his traits, habits, villains, and universe. There is so much material to draw from and even IF you want to re-invent the show, there is so much better that could be done.

I'm so pissed about this because it's another fond childhood memory destroyed. It's like when I sat around waiting for a new Star Wars movie to come out and I was treated to Jar Jar traipsing across the screen

The fact that the TARDIS resembles a UK spec police call box should indicate to you that Who is UK centric in design as Superman is USA centric in design. Each of them hold a particular affinity to each's country of origin. Imo, Dr Who identifies with the Brits simply because he feels if he were born on Earth he'd likely be a limey Brit. As such he hangs out there when on Earth and is most concerned with them. Being planetless, he seems to like the Earth because it is the closest thing to home he has found. So being "home", he continues to return to it. All of this is inferred. I can't believe you and others need it spoon fed to you.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      01-07-2010 06:15 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by Dr Dub UK »

Yeah, but at least it was SUPPOSED to be an alien landscape or planet. At least they TRIED to make it an alien location, cheesy as they may have looked - the attempt was there. The new one is not even really making any attempt at anything alien.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      01-07-2010 06:24 PM #68

The fact that the TARDIS resembles a UK spec police call box should indicate to you that Who is UK centric in design as Superman is USA centric in design. Each of them hold a particular affinity to each's country of origin. Imo, Dr Who identifies with the Brits simply because he feels if he were born on Earth he'd likely be a limey Brit. As such he hangs out there when on Earth and is most concerned with them. Being planetless, he seems to like the Earth because it is the closest thing to home he has found. So being "home", he continues to return to it. All of this is inferred. I can't believe you and others need it spoon fed to you.

There is no doubt it is a British show, I never said it wasn't. To be technical, the TARDIS looks like a police box because the chameleon circuit jammed, not necessarily because it's a British show

Basically what I am trying to say is that the new show doesn't even really attempt (to me anyways) to be like the old shows. Now, that's either good or bad depending on your viewpoint. It has nothing to do with me needing to be "spoon fed" anything - this show is about freaking traveling through time and space, fighting aliens, solving mysteries, etc. That's the way it was for 25 years when it was (well, I guess it still is) the longest running science fiction show in history. It's not about staying on Earth during the same three time periods or some half ass attempt at "alternate" universes and planets to mix things up. If you're cool with the way the new series is playing out, more power to you.

My fundamental issue with the new show is that they have basically landlocked it/him on Earth. Again, the fact that he has an affinity for humans is secondary since he always HAS had that affinity - that has never stopped him from roaming around the universe or time. The British connection is also secondary since the show is obviously British and therefore British actors/people. Being a British show, it's naturally going to be filmed in/around the UK/England, duh. I don't expect them to fly around the world for real doing location shooting. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean they can't pretend that he's somewhere else like they've done in the past. You can open the show with a shot of anywhere on the planet to establish where he is and then film the rest of it on city streets or indoor sets without really giving away they are filming in England. That's movie magic, set design, layout, whatever you want to call it. Look at the first episode with the Daleks, all they do is state that this guys bunker is in Utah and VOILA! Now you have a show filmed entirely in England, BUT you've established that he's really in Utah for that episode- how hard was that? That's what I mean about having him someplace else besides England, it's not that hard to do. Even in the old episodes they did that - open with a stock footage shot of Egypt (or wherever) and then film everything on a soundstage - not rocket science. You've implied that he's someplace that he's not, movie magic baby! I'm cool if it's a bit hokey - I'd rather have that than the same location over and over again for a show supposedly about a guy that travels through time and space. This isn't some sitcom about a couple (well, it's turning into one) who go to work, hang out at pubs, etc.

The other thing I'm really beginning to notice with the second season (again, wife more or less forced me to watch it) is that it's getting really girly. All of this innuendo of him supposedly having romantic relationships with his companions, mushy story lines, etc. Even my wife is complaining it's getting too mushy and that's pretty bad

Modified by MeineFolks'wagen at 10:31 PM 1-7-2010

32. 01-07-2010 06:58 PM #69
      Something to think about:

Wouldn't the likelihood of the Doctor hanging around Earth depend on the personality of the reincarnated Doctor? I mean, each Dr is different from the last and this one was clearly the most Brit of the lot, as I recall he and Rose having cravings for fish and chips.

I like that this show makes no attempt to be like the old ones. I remember watch Who as a kid on PBS and from my view these shows have gotten better which each new version. Clearly this is the best Dr Who yet. As with BSG, they tossed aside the stale and infused such much needed grit and modernity. And in the case of Dr Who they managed to keep it light most of the time with humor and zainy bits.....but still delivered the drama with expert precision.

As for your example, we've already established he REALLY likes the UK, so why would he go to Utah to hang? He did go to Greece btw.

As for the girlie...what are you getting on about? He only had a thing for Rose (she ended up with his clone and never hooked up with the real Doc), Martha had a thing for him (didn't hook up), and he and Donna were mutually platonic.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      01-08-2010 04:19 PM #70
      Something to think about:

Wouldn't the likelihood of the Doctor hanging around Earth depend on the personality of the reincarnated Doctor? I mean, each Dr is different from the last and this one was clearly the most Brit of the lot, as I recall he and Rose having cravings for fish and chips.

I like that this show makes no attempt to be like the old ones. I remember watch Who as a kid on PBS and from my view these shows have gotten better which each new version. Clearly this is the best Dr Who yet. As with BSG, they tossed aside the stale and infused such much needed grit and modernity. And in the case of Dr Who they managed to keep it light most of the time with humor and zainy bits.....but still delivered the drama with expert precision.

As for your example, we've already established he REALLY likes the UK, so why would he go to Utah to hang? He did go to Greece btw.

As for the girlie...what are you getting on about? He only had a thing for Rose (she ended up with his clone and never hooked up with the real Doc), Martha had a thing for him (didn't hook up), and he and Donna were mutually platonic.

Again, the show is NOT about the Doctor being landlocked on Earth (again, John Pertwee's era notwithstanding and his story line was that he was grounded by the Timelords). Sure, every Doctor has his own personality, but it's still the same *character*. It's the same character that has been around for 25 years and that character has been WELL established as being a bohemian, a character who doesn't like staying in one place. He's a character who delights in traveling the universe, hopping around in the time stream, and getting into trouble. The fact that he may like fish and chips is of no consequence, the dude likes fish and french fries, so what?

Girly in that the new shows (I've choked my way through season 3 at this point thanks to the wife again) have seemed to focus quite a bit on relationships and have hinted at things other than platonic relations between the Doctor and others. I don't want to watch Doctor Who to get my fill of a soap opera. There is no place in the show for that stuff, there never has been - it's not needed. Again, it's a show about a guy who travels the universe and time having adventures (well, it's supposed to be anyway). It's not a sci-fi soap opera or sitcom. It's also the fact that they seem to keep picking younger and "prettier" guys to play the Doctor. It seems the majority of their new fan base is becoming female, I wonder why. Sorry, I don't want Edward playing the Doctor and turning this into Twilight Through Time and Space

I can understand how certain people may like the new show, that's fine. But I have the same issues with the new Doctor Who that I do with other remakes/re-imaginings. Someone gets the brilliant idea to resurrect something old, but then says we can't have it like the old show, we HAVE to jazz it up 21st century style. We'll change the stories, we'll get a bunch of pretty people to make up the cast, we'll make male characters female, we'll make robots human, we'll change the race/color of characters, etc. (Battlestar Galactica being a prime example of that). That's not to say that they are fundamentally bad, but they are not true to the originals. Some people like the revamps, some don't. I just hate seeing old shows/movies recreated and then the producers more or less abandon the old source material - what was the point? Why resurrect something old if you don't want to keep any of the source material? If you want to make something new and don't care to hark back to the original source material, then make a NEW show. You can base it on old material or universe, but don't give it the same name. There is very little of the original Doctor Who in any of the new series and way too many inconsistencies (again, good or bad depending on your viewpoint).

They should've just stuck with doing something like Torchwood. A new show based in the universe of Doctor Who. That way they can more or less do what they want without caring. But if you want to make Doctor Who, then make Doctor Who. Don't resurrect a show about a guy who can travel through time and space, who has 25 years of canon to back up the fact that he travels through time and space, solves mysteries, fights aliens, explores alien planets, etc. and then leave him grounded on Earth having domestic spats with his companions and their families while he continually (and conveniently) finds aliens around every corner in the same city in England - it's pathetic. If all they wanted to do was make a sci-fi show about a guy in England who happens to find aliens in the same city every week, they should've stuck with Torchwood or something like Primevil, there was no sense in remaking Doctor Who since he's not doing anything that he's done for 25 years.

With today's technology, production values, CGI, etc. this SHOULD have been the best this show has ever been. Instead, they've neutered the entire concept of what Doctor Who was.

Modified by MeineFolks'wagen at 11:19 PM 1-8-2010

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast