Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 732

    Thread: Doctor Who fans unite!

    1. Moderator Arsigi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 1st, 2003
      Location
      Weimar Republic, USA
      Posts
      35,143
      Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      01-01-2010 04:03 PM #51
      Funny about those shirts... I ended up getting one for Christmas.
      We, too, are getting caught up on the recent series... halfway through season two (the first David Tennant season).
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

    2. Member Dr Dub UK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2004
      Location
      Derbyshire, UK
      Posts
      1,509
      Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      01-01-2010 05:21 PM #52
      Well people, the second part of The End of Time has aired over here. It was a fitting end to David Tennents tenure, I won't say any more than that and ruin it for you.
      After Doctor Who Confidential on BBC Three, they ran a new season trailer featuring Matt Smith. Got to say it does look good. I was sceptical about him at first, but now I've seen this I can't wait for the new series in the spring.
      It is available to watch on the BBC website, not sure if it's available outside the UK though.
      Edit.
      I traded my Scirocco for this.
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]


      Modified by Dr Dub UK at 10:34 PM 1-1-2010
      To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,748
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-01-2010 07:05 PM #53
      I hate to say it, but after finishing the first "new" season last night, I won't be watching it anymore. I went and looked at the synopsis of every episode of the new show from season 2 through the current season and I think with the exception of 2 or 3 episodes, every freaking episode occurs:
      A) On Earth during either the 18th century, 51st century, or during the 21st century
      B) Some space station or other orbiting Earth
      You've got to be kidding me, that's the best the BBC writers can come up with?? Five seasons of a new Doctor Who and that's it?? He's not like it was with John Pertwee's reign where he was more or less stuck on Earth, the new Doctors have a fully functioning TARDIS and can go anywhere at any time. So how come I have to keep watching domestic spats between Rose and Mickey? How come I have to keep watching goofy attempts at bi-sexuality with Harkness and lame ass TV "Weakest Link" shows in the future?
      We more or less exclusively watch nothing but BBC programs and this is the best that they can do? With today's CGI technology and what not, they can't do like the old days and have the Doctor traveling the universe for adventure? You guys can render a Nazi blitz of London in 1941 but can't put some guys in green costumes with bubble wrap for some alien action? C'mon guys! I don't care if the sets look like something from Star Trek in the 1960's, have the guy get out of the Milky Way already! Am I alone in this?
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

    4. Member JimmyD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,149
      01-02-2010 04:46 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by MeineFolks’wagen »
      I hate to say it, but after finishing the first "new" season last night, I won't be watching it anymore. I went and looked at the synopsis of every episode of the new show from season 2 through the current season and I think with the exception of 2 or 3 episodes, every freaking episode occurs:
      A) On Earth during either the 18th century, 51st century, or during the 21st century
      B) Some space station or other orbiting Earth
      You've got to be kidding me, that's the best the BBC writers can come up with?? Five seasons of a new Doctor Who and that's it?? He's not like it was with John Pertwee's reign where he was more or less stuck on Earth, the new Doctors have a fully functioning TARDIS and can go anywhere at any time. So how come I have to keep watching domestic spats between Rose and Mickey? How come I have to keep watching goofy attempts at bi-sexuality with Harkness and lame ass TV "Weakest Link" shows in the future?
      We more or less exclusively watch nothing but BBC programs and this is the best that they can do? With today's CGI technology and what not, they can't do like the old days and have the Doctor traveling the universe for adventure? You guys can render a Nazi blitz of London in 1941 but can't put some guys in green costumes with bubble wrap for some alien action? C'mon guys! I don't care if the sets look like something from Star Trek in the 1960's, have the guy get out of the Milky Way already! Am I alone in this?

      Give the other seasons a chance.... there's a good number of episodes outside the realm of the Milky Way.
      Not only that, in the later seasons, you'll start seeing old faces from the original series begin popping up for stints on the show! Even K-9 returns.


    5. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,748
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-02-2010 02:53 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by JimmyD »
      Give the other seasons a chance.... there's a good number of episodes outside the realm of the Milky Way.
      Not only that, in the later seasons, you'll start seeing old faces from the original series begin popping up for stints on the show! Even K-9 returns.

      Yeah I saw that K9 shows up in a cameo along with Sarah in some of the synopses that I read, but like I said, I only saw about 3 episodes that happen someplace besides Earth. I was OK with it until about half way through the first season and then I started asking questions. I grew up with Doctor Who and I just can't watch it if all he does is hang around Earth, what's the point? I just can't believe that they've gotten away it for five years of new shows considering the rabid fan base the show has had for over 20 years. I mean, he would periodically pop up on Earth, but it wasn't the mainstay of the series. It would be like watching Star Trek if all they did was orbit Earth. They've got a starship and can't go anyplace besides Earth? Don't think so. It's like I said, I just can't believe that that's the best the writers can come up with for the new show, I was expecting so much more. Unfortunately, I won't bother with the rest of the shows because of the aforementioned reasons. Doctor Who is not a "terrestrial" show, it's supposed to be a show about intergalactic exploration and solving mysteries. It's not about hopping back in forth between the same three time periods on Earth constantly re-fixing whatever he screwed up from the last visit. Sorry, guess I'm an old purist
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

    6. Member JimmyD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,149
      01-03-2010 07:08 AM #56
      Quote, originally posted by MeineFolks’wagen »
      Yeah I saw.......
      ......Sorry, guess I'm an old purist

      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Fair enough.
      I'm a big fan of the Tom Baker era myself... probably because that's when I discovered Doctor Who when I was a kid.
      I still think you should tune in every now and then... as a fan of the original series myself, I think you'll be happily surprised with many of the new episodes. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      LA LA Land, CA
      Posts
      7,958
      01-04-2010 02:14 PM #57
      If you watched the show you'd be able to answer these questions.
      He hangs around the Earth because he has an affinity to Humans, whom he resembles, and because of the significance Earth plays throughout galactic history.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,748
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-04-2010 03:31 PM #58
      Quote, originally posted by DJMRDARK »
      If you watched the show you'd be able to answer these questions.
      He hangs around the Earth because he has an affinity to Humans, whom he resembles, and because of the significance Earth plays throughout galactic history.

      He's ALWAYS had an affinity for humans, that didn't keep him (or the show) from roaming the universe and time. He looks human (as do most races in the Doctor Who universe) because they generally didn't have the budget to make every alien race look "alien" (take a look at Star Trek again for a reference to "alien" humans ).
      Every Doctor does a stint on Earth from time to time throughout the show, but again, it's not the mainstay of the series (John Pertwee's era notwithstanding, but he was marooned after all). He's never been portrayed as Earth's personal guardian (though he looks out for it obviously, but he does that for hundreds of other planets and species throughout the history of the show).
      And for crying out loud, if he does HAVE to stay on Earth (for whatever reason), can he not go someplace BESIDES England now and again??? Can he not go someplace besides the same three time periods??
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      LA LA Land, CA
      Posts
      7,958
      01-04-2010 10:33 PM #59
      Do you complain that Superman hangs out in the USA instead of say...France?
      This season as they moved closer and closer to the Doctor's "death" they fleshed out his affinity for the Earth and in particular the UK. Again, you had to of been a regular watcher to notice this.
      I'm not sure what the hell you are complaining about. The Doctor has spent seemingly most of his episodes in the other reaches of the universe, or so far off into the Earth's future it counts as alien. There have been some present day on Earth episodes as well, but usually it came when defending it from Metal Men or Daleks. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] And then there's the alternate universe/Rose Tyler story line....good times. You are really making much about nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

    10. Geriatric Member EK20's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2004
      Location
      Mill Creek, WA
      Posts
      81,331
      Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      01-04-2010 11:13 PM #60
      I'm just enjoying the show. I don't really care where the Doctor spends his time.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

    11. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,748
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-05-2010 06:28 PM #61
      Quote, originally posted by DJMRDARK »
      Do you complain that Superman hangs out in the USA instead of say...France?
      This season as they moved closer and closer to the Doctor's "death" they fleshed out his affinity for the Earth and in particular the UK. Again, you had to of been a regular watcher to notice this.
      I'm not sure what the hell you are complaining about. The Doctor has spent seemingly most of his episodes in the other reaches of the universe, or so far off into the Earth's future it counts as alien. There have been some present day on Earth episodes as well, but usually it came when defending it from Metal Men or Daleks. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] And then there's the alternate universe/Rose Tyler story line....good times. You are really making much about nothing.

      Superman is an established "USA" type of character, he's based in Metropolis. But even he leaves Earth from time to time and travels around. However, that fact notwithstanding, his character was created and developed around one particular city and anything else that happens is secondary to those stories. The Doctor is, and always has been, a "universal" character. He's always roamed the universe and time. His coming to Earth now and again has always been secondary and not the primary story.
      I don't know what show you've been watching, but I have seen or read nothing to indicate that the show is moving further and further out (again, with the exception of the three or so episodes that I mentioned). The future is meaningless since it's the same future over and over again - read my initial post(s) where I complain that the show occurs either:
      A) Earth during the 21st, 51st, or 18th (plus or minus) century
      B) Some space station orbiting Earth
      The fact that he goes back in forth during three time periods does not constitute "exploring" and it's not "alien" if he's still on Earth during future times - how is that alien??? It's the same stories over and over again and even if he does encounter an "alien", it's because they've conveniently placed them in England during one of those three time periods. Even when it's not Earth, it's an "alternate" Earth or "new" Earth.
      I've indirectly watched the second season now (well, listened to it in the background while the wife watched it) since my wife wanted to continue give it a chance and there has been nothing that's changed. He's still on Earth and he's still bouncing between the same time periods or "alternate" Earths.
      I'm b*tching about this because I don't see how anyone who watched the original shows, hokey as some of them may have been, can comfortably sit there watching five seasons of the same thing over and over again. They could use some of those stories if they'd just throw him onto another planet once in a while, how hard is it for crying out loud? It's like watching Deep Space 9 where everything is conveniently delivered into their laps every week because they are stationary and can't move. The Doctor CAN move and it's sad that they've decided to keep him Earth bound for whatever reason. Having him just time travel during a few different time periods on Earth is laughable. And if they ARE going to do that, for crying out loud, have him show up during some other time periods someplace besides England - it's too much of a cop out on their part to keep him there. This isn't a show about London suburbanites trying to get on with their lives. It's supposed to be a show about a guy that can travel anywhere in time and space. That doesn't mean hanging out on Earth (during one of three established time periods or an "alternate" version) the whole time. And again, the whole "affinity" thing is dumb, he's always had an affinity for humans (as I've already said). If you've seen ANY of the original shows, you would know that. There is 25 years of established canon for this character, his traits, habits, villains, and universe. There is so much material to draw from and even IF you want to re-invent the show, there is so much better that could be done.
      I'm so pissed about this because it's another fond childhood memory destroyed. It's like when I sat around waiting for a new Star Wars movie to come out and I was treated to Jar Jar traipsing across the screen
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

    12. Member z0d's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2009
      Location
      Baton Rouge
      Posts
      2,269
      Vehicles
      2013 Maytag Centennial
      01-05-2010 09:51 PM #62
      Quote, originally posted by DJMRDARK »
      I'm not sure what the hell you are complaining about. The Doctor has spent seemingly most of his episodes in the other reaches of the universe, or so far off into the Earth's future it counts as alien. There have been some present day on Earth episodes as well, but usually it came when defending it from Metal Men or Daleks. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] And then there's the alternate universe/Rose Tyler story line....good times.

      I love the show, and while it doesn't really bother me, I completely understand where he's coming from. It's a pretty common complaint of the new series.
      There are a lot of episodes that take place on present-day Earth that don't involve the Cybermen or Daleks. In fact, even counting the parallel Earth in there, the former outnumber the latter about 3:1.
      The majority of episodes take place on or in orbit of Earth, New Earth or the parallel Earth, or they're about saving the Earth or the human race. In the other cases, when they're on a space ship, space station, or some colony or city on another planet, they're usually either exclusively or primarily populated or run by people that the show goes out of its way to call "human" or say they're from Earth. The sad part is, in some of those cases, it wouldn't have mattered to the story at all if they'd simply called them some other species. The only two episodes that pop into my mind when I try to think of exceptions are Gridlock and Planet of the Ood, but even then they fall into what I just said for one reason or another.
      Again, I love the show, but it is very much centered about the Earth/humans. A little variety there would be interesting. I'm not really bothered by it, but I definitely understand that complaint.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,748
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-06-2010 06:04 PM #63
      Quote, originally posted by z0d »
      I love the show, and while it doesn't really bother me, I completely understand where he's coming from. It's a pretty common complaint of the new series.
      There are a lot of episodes that take place on present-day Earth that don't involve the Cybermen or Daleks. In fact, even counting the parallel Earth in there, the former outnumber the latter about 3:1.
      The majority of episodes take place on or in orbit of Earth, New Earth or the parallel Earth, or they're about saving the Earth or the human race. In the other cases, when they're on a space ship, space station, or some colony or city on another planet, they're usually either exclusively or primarily populated or run by people that the show goes out of its way to call "human" or say they're from Earth. The sad part is, in some of those cases, it wouldn't have mattered to the story at all if they'd simply called them some other species. The only two episodes that pop into my mind when I try to think of exceptions are Gridlock and Planet of the Ood, but even then they fall into what I just said for one reason or another.
      Again, I love the show, but it is very much centered about the Earth/humans. A little variety there would be interesting. I'm not really bothered by it, but I definitely understand that complaint.

      Thank you! Someone else gets it
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

    14. Member Dr Dub UK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2004
      Location
      Derbyshire, UK
      Posts
      1,509
      Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      01-07-2010 05:18 AM #64
      I take your point here, but how many of those alien worlds in the classic series were filmed at the same old quarry in England. I'm a fan from way back in the early 70's, but being English it's the law to like Doctor Who.
      Give the new seies a chance. Season 4 with Donna is the best yet. I can't stand Catherine Tates comedy show, but she is brilliant in Doctor Who.
      To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

    15. Member JimmyD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2001
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      12,149
      01-07-2010 05:29 AM #65
      Quote, originally posted by Dr Dub UK »
      I take your point here, but how many of those alien worlds in the classic series were filmed at the same old quarry in England. I'm a fan from way back in the early 70's, but being English it's the law to like Doctor Who.
      Give the new seies a chance. Season 4 with Donna is the best yet. I can't stand Catherine Tates comedy show, but she is brilliant in Doctor Who.

      I agree on all points you just stated. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      By the way... the whole "being English it's the law to like Doctor Who" bit is too funny.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      LA LA Land, CA
      Posts
      7,958
      01-07-2010 12:09 PM #66
      Quote, originally posted by MeineFolks’wagen »
      Superman is an established "USA" type of character, he's based in Metropolis. But even he leaves Earth from time to time and travels around. However, that fact notwithstanding, his character was created and developed around one particular city and anything else that happens is secondary to those stories. The Doctor is, and always has been, a "universal" character. He's always roamed the universe and time. His coming to Earth now and again has always been secondary and not the primary story.
      I don't know what show you've been watching, but I have seen or read nothing to indicate that the show is moving further and further out (again, with the exception of the three or so episodes that I mentioned). The future is meaningless since it's the same future over and over again - read my initial post(s) where I complain that the show occurs either:
      A) Earth during the 21st, 51st, or 18th (plus or minus) century
      B) Some space station orbiting Earth
      The fact that he goes back in forth during three time periods does not constitute "exploring" and it's not "alien" if he's still on Earth during future times - how is that alien??? It's the same stories over and over again and even if he does encounter an "alien", it's because they've conveniently placed them in England during one of those three time periods. Even when it's not Earth, it's an "alternate" Earth or "new" Earth.
      I've indirectly watched the second season now (well, listened to it in the background while the wife watched it) since my wife wanted to continue give it a chance and there has been nothing that's changed. He's still on Earth and he's still bouncing between the same time periods or "alternate" Earths.
      I'm b*tching about this because I don't see how anyone who watched the original shows, hokey as some of them may have been, can comfortably sit there watching five seasons of the same thing over and over again. They could use some of those stories if they'd just throw him onto another planet once in a while, how hard is it for crying out loud? It's like watching Deep Space 9 where everything is conveniently delivered into their laps every week because they are stationary and can't move. The Doctor CAN move and it's sad that they've decided to keep him Earth bound for whatever reason. Having him just time travel during a few different time periods on Earth is laughable. And if they ARE going to do that, for crying out loud, have him show up during some other time periods someplace besides England - it's too much of a cop out on their part to keep him there. This isn't a show about London suburbanites trying to get on with their lives. It's supposed to be a show about a guy that can travel anywhere in time and space. That doesn't mean hanging out on Earth (during one of three established time periods or an "alternate" version) the whole time. And again, the whole "affinity" thing is dumb, he's always had an affinity for humans (as I've already said). If you've seen ANY of the original shows, you would know that. There is 25 years of established canon for this character, his traits, habits, villains, and universe. There is so much material to draw from and even IF you want to re-invent the show, there is so much better that could be done.
      I'm so pissed about this because it's another fond childhood memory destroyed. It's like when I sat around waiting for a new Star Wars movie to come out and I was treated to Jar Jar traipsing across the screen

      The fact that the TARDIS resembles a UK spec police call box should indicate to you that Who is UK centric in design as Superman is USA centric in design. Each of them hold a particular affinity to each's country of origin. Imo, Dr Who identifies with the Brits simply because he feels if he were born on Earth he'd likely be a limey Brit. As such he hangs out there when on Earth and is most concerned with them. Being planetless, he seems to like the Earth because it is the closest thing to home he has found. So being "home", he continues to return to it. All of this is inferred. I can't believe you and others need it spoon fed to you.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,748
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-07-2010 05:15 PM #67
      Quote, originally posted by Dr Dub UK »
      I take your point here, but how many of those alien worlds in the classic series were filmed at the same old quarry in England. I'm a fan from way back in the early 70's, but being English it's the law to like Doctor Who.
      Give the new seies a chance. Season 4 with Donna is the best yet. I can't stand Catherine Tates comedy show, but she is brilliant in Doctor Who.

      Yeah, but at least it was SUPPOSED to be an alien landscape or planet. At least they TRIED to make it an alien location, cheesy as they may have looked - the attempt was there. The new one is not even really making any attempt at anything alien.
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,748
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-07-2010 05:24 PM #68
      Quote, originally posted by DJMRDARK »
      The fact that the TARDIS resembles a UK spec police call box should indicate to you that Who is UK centric in design as Superman is USA centric in design. Each of them hold a particular affinity to each's country of origin. Imo, Dr Who identifies with the Brits simply because he feels if he were born on Earth he'd likely be a limey Brit. As such he hangs out there when on Earth and is most concerned with them. Being planetless, he seems to like the Earth because it is the closest thing to home he has found. So being "home", he continues to return to it. All of this is inferred. I can't believe you and others need it spoon fed to you.

      There is no doubt it is a British show, I never said it wasn't. To be technical, the TARDIS looks like a police box because the chameleon circuit jammed, not necessarily because it's a British show
      Basically what I am trying to say is that the new show doesn't even really attempt (to me anyways) to be like the old shows. Now, that's either good or bad depending on your viewpoint. It has nothing to do with me needing to be "spoon fed" anything - this show is about freaking traveling through time and space, fighting aliens, solving mysteries, etc. That's the way it was for 25 years when it was (well, I guess it still is) the longest running science fiction show in history. It's not about staying on Earth during the same three time periods or some half ass attempt at "alternate" universes and planets to mix things up. If you're cool with the way the new series is playing out, more power to you.
      My fundamental issue with the new show is that they have basically landlocked it/him on Earth. Again, the fact that he has an affinity for humans is secondary since he always HAS had that affinity - that has never stopped him from roaming around the universe or time. The British connection is also secondary since the show is obviously British and therefore British actors/people. Being a British show, it's naturally going to be filmed in/around the UK/England, duh. I don't expect them to fly around the world for real doing location shooting. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean they can't pretend that he's somewhere else like they've done in the past. You can open the show with a shot of anywhere on the planet to establish where he is and then film the rest of it on city streets or indoor sets without really giving away they are filming in England. That's movie magic, set design, layout, whatever you want to call it. Look at the first episode with the Daleks, all they do is state that this guys bunker is in Utah and VOILA! Now you have a show filmed entirely in England, BUT you've established that he's really in Utah for that episode- how hard was that? That's what I mean about having him someplace else besides England, it's not that hard to do. Even in the old episodes they did that - open with a stock footage shot of Egypt (or wherever) and then film everything on a soundstage - not rocket science. You've implied that he's someplace that he's not, movie magic baby! I'm cool if it's a bit hokey - I'd rather have that than the same location over and over again for a show supposedly about a guy that travels through time and space. This isn't some sitcom about a couple (well, it's turning into one) who go to work, hang out at pubs, etc.
      The other thing I'm really beginning to notice with the second season (again, wife more or less forced me to watch it) is that it's getting really girly. All of this innuendo of him supposedly having romantic relationships with his companions, mushy story lines, etc. Even my wife is complaining it's getting too mushy and that's pretty bad


      Modified by MeineFolks'wagen at 10:31 PM 1-7-2010
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      LA LA Land, CA
      Posts
      7,958
      01-07-2010 05:58 PM #69
      Something to think about:
      Wouldn't the likelihood of the Doctor hanging around Earth depend on the personality of the reincarnated Doctor? I mean, each Dr is different from the last and this one was clearly the most Brit of the lot, as I recall he and Rose having cravings for fish and chips.
      I like that this show makes no attempt to be like the old ones. I remember watch Who as a kid on PBS and from my view these shows have gotten better which each new version. Clearly this is the best Dr Who yet. As with BSG, they tossed aside the stale and infused such much needed grit and modernity. And in the case of Dr Who they managed to keep it light most of the time with humor and zainy bits.....but still delivered the drama with expert precision.
      As for your example, we've already established he REALLY likes the UK, so why would he go to Utah to hang? He did go to Greece btw.
      As for the girlie...what are you getting on about? He only had a thing for Rose (she ended up with his clone and never hooked up with the real Doc), Martha had a thing for him (didn't hook up), and he and Donna were mutually platonic.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,748
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-08-2010 03:19 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by DJMRDARK »
      Something to think about:
      Wouldn't the likelihood of the Doctor hanging around Earth depend on the personality of the reincarnated Doctor? I mean, each Dr is different from the last and this one was clearly the most Brit of the lot, as I recall he and Rose having cravings for fish and chips.
      I like that this show makes no attempt to be like the old ones. I remember watch Who as a kid on PBS and from my view these shows have gotten better which each new version. Clearly this is the best Dr Who yet. As with BSG, they tossed aside the stale and infused such much needed grit and modernity. And in the case of Dr Who they managed to keep it light most of the time with humor and zainy bits.....but still delivered the drama with expert precision.
      As for your example, we've already established he REALLY likes the UK, so why would he go to Utah to hang? He did go to Greece btw.
      As for the girlie...what are you getting on about? He only had a thing for Rose (she ended up with his clone and never hooked up with the real Doc), Martha had a thing for him (didn't hook up), and he and Donna were mutually platonic.

      Again, the show is NOT about the Doctor being landlocked on Earth (again, John Pertwee's era notwithstanding and his story line was that he was grounded by the Timelords). Sure, every Doctor has his own personality, but it's still the same *character*. It's the same character that has been around for 25 years and that character has been WELL established as being a bohemian, a character who doesn't like staying in one place. He's a character who delights in traveling the universe, hopping around in the time stream, and getting into trouble. The fact that he may like fish and chips is of no consequence, the dude likes fish and french fries, so what?
      Girly in that the new shows (I've choked my way through season 3 at this point thanks to the wife again) have seemed to focus quite a bit on relationships and have hinted at things other than platonic relations between the Doctor and others. I don't want to watch Doctor Who to get my fill of a soap opera. There is no place in the show for that stuff, there never has been - it's not needed. Again, it's a show about a guy who travels the universe and time having adventures (well, it's supposed to be anyway). It's not a sci-fi soap opera or sitcom. It's also the fact that they seem to keep picking younger and "prettier" guys to play the Doctor. It seems the majority of their new fan base is becoming female, I wonder why. Sorry, I don't want Edward playing the Doctor and turning this into Twilight Through Time and Space
      I can understand how certain people may like the new show, that's fine. But I have the same issues with the new Doctor Who that I do with other remakes/re-imaginings. Someone gets the brilliant idea to resurrect something old, but then says we can't have it like the old show, we HAVE to jazz it up 21st century style. We'll change the stories, we'll get a bunch of pretty people to make up the cast, we'll make male characters female, we'll make robots human, we'll change the race/color of characters, etc. (Battlestar Galactica being a prime example of that). That's not to say that they are fundamentally bad, but they are not true to the originals. Some people like the revamps, some don't. I just hate seeing old shows/movies recreated and then the producers more or less abandon the old source material - what was the point? Why resurrect something old if you don't want to keep any of the source material? If you want to make something new and don't care to hark back to the original source material, then make a NEW show. You can base it on old material or universe, but don't give it the same name. There is very little of the original Doctor Who in any of the new series and way too many inconsistencies (again, good or bad depending on your viewpoint).
      They should've just stuck with doing something like Torchwood. A new show based in the universe of Doctor Who. That way they can more or less do what they want without caring. But if you want to make Doctor Who, then make Doctor Who. Don't resurrect a show about a guy who can travel through time and space, who has 25 years of canon to back up the fact that he travels through time and space, solves mysteries, fights aliens, explores alien planets, etc. and then leave him grounded on Earth having domestic spats with his companions and their families while he continually (and conveniently) finds aliens around every corner in the same city in England - it's pathetic. If all they wanted to do was make a sci-fi show about a guy in England who happens to find aliens in the same city every week, they should've stuck with Torchwood or something like Primevil, there was no sense in remaking Doctor Who since he's not doing anything that he's done for 25 years.
      With today's technology, production values, CGI, etc. this SHOULD have been the best this show has ever been. Instead, they've neutered the entire concept of what Doctor Who was.


      Modified by MeineFolks'wagen at 11:19 PM 1-8-2010
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

    21. Geriatric Member EK20's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2004
      Location
      Mill Creek, WA
      Posts
      81,331
      Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      01-09-2010 01:47 AM #71
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

    22. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,748
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-09-2010 08:25 AM #72
      Quote, originally posted by EK20 »
      Awesome!
      http://i50.tinypic.com/2rx8wfc.jpg

      Oh yeah, the new fat farting aliens, another great thing the new series introduced......
      Ended up getting chained to a chair last night and forced to watch series 3 and the beginning of 4. My wife insisted saying that the show had turned into a comedy or something, so I watched it. If I thought I had issues starting in the beginning, I'm laughing my a$$ off at this show now. I swear, I think I'm watching Mystery Science Theater 3K now or something. This show went from being untrue to the original to just being a *bad* show, it's like watching some half a$$ attempt at a funny X-Files or something. Little marshmallow aliens?? Seriously? Now that was classy! I'm going to keep watching it now just so that we an laugh at it and make fun of it. If I had known they were going to turn this into a bad comedy show, I may have reserved judgment
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

    23. Member Dr Dub UK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2004
      Location
      Derbyshire, UK
      Posts
      1,509
      Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      01-09-2010 05:34 PM #73
      So in your view, the show has moved away from it's origins? In that case in the very beginning of the Hartnell era, LOTS of episodes were based on Earth in historical situations as Doctor Who is/was a childrens show and had to be educational as well as entertaining. In effect, it's right back to it's roots.
      I love the new show, and as I've already said I have been into the classic show since I was a little kid in the early 70's. It certainly hasn't ruined my memories of the classic show, in fact it just expands upon it.
      If it was the same old thing (which is why it got cancelled over here) NOBODY other than die hard fans would watch it. As it is, it's hugely popular. Hats off to the BBC. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2009
      Location
      LA LA Land, CA
      Posts
      7,958
      01-10-2010 10:37 AM #74
      I could not have said it better myself. He just wants to bitch and moan when really there's nothing to complain about. Dr. Who has never been better than this incarnation. Here's to hoping the next evolution further improves the breed.
      Btw, Meine....
      Why do you watch it if you hate it so much? No one is forcing you and certainly your wife isn't.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

    25. Geriatric Member EK20's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2004
      Location
      Mill Creek, WA
      Posts
      81,331
      Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      01-11-2010 03:06 AM #75
      If only the DVD sets could get a little cheaper.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

    Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •