Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who fans unite!

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      01-09-2010 01:47 AM #71
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-09-2010 08:25 AM #72
      Quote, originally posted by EK20 »
      Awesome!

http://i50.tinypic.com/2rx8wfc.jpg

Oh yeah, the new fat farting aliens, another great thing the new series introduced......

Ended up getting chained to a chair last night and forced to watch series 3 and the beginning of 4. My wife insisted saying that the show had turned into a comedy or something, so I watched it. If I thought I had issues starting in the beginning, I'm laughing my a$$ off at this show now. I swear, I think I'm watching Mystery Science Theater 3K now or something. This show went from being untrue to the original to just being a *bad* show, it's like watching some half a$$ attempt at a funny X-Files or something. Little marshmallow aliens?? Seriously? Now that was classy! I'm going to keep watching it now just so that we an laugh at it and make fun of it. If I had known they were going to turn this into a bad comedy show, I may have reserved judgment

Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

Check out my really basic Fiat 500 board and let me know what you think: http://fiatcinquecento.freeforums.net/

Vehicles
      Bora SE Polo 6N Scirocco GT
      01-09-2010 05:34 PM #73
      So in your view, the show has moved away from it's origins? In that case in the very beginning of the Hartnell era, LOTS of episodes were based on Earth in historical situations as Doctor Who is/was a childrens show and had to be educational as well as entertaining. In effect, it's right back to it's roots.

I love the new show, and as I've already said I have been into the classic show since I was a little kid in the early 70's. It certainly hasn't ruined my memories of the classic show, in fact it just expands upon it.

If it was the same old thing (which is why it got cancelled over here) NOBODY other than die hard fans would watch it. As it is, it's hugely popular. Hats off to the BBC.

To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

4. 01-10-2010 10:37 AM #74
      I could not have said it better myself. He just wants to bitch and moan when really there's nothing to complain about. Dr. Who has never been better than this incarnation. Here's to hoping the next evolution further improves the breed.

Btw, Meine....

Why do you watch it if you hate it so much? No one is forcing you and certainly your wife isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      01-11-2010 03:06 AM #75
      If only the DVD sets could get a little cheaper.
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      Subaru Forester, Mazda Miata
      01-11-2010 09:59 AM #76
      Quote, originally posted by DJMRDARK »
      Dr. Who has never been better than this incarnation.

I'll disagree with that.... Ten was great but I personally think Pertwee, Tom Baker, McCoy, and even Eccleston were all much better.

I've consider myself a die hard fan of both the new and classic series. Though the classic series will always appeal more to me because it is why I became a fan (First episode I saw was Pyramid Of Mars in November of 1983) even though the special effects where crap I think the story lines were more intelligent and the atmosphere of the episodes were a little darker. I have noticed a couple of episodes in the new series that have had great writing and captured the feel of the classic series.

Modified by 3Letter at 7:01 AM 1-11-2010

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      01-11-2010 12:25 PM #77
      Quote, originally posted by Dr Dub UK »
      So in your view, the show has moved away from it's origins? In that case in the very beginning of the Hartnell era, LOTS of episodes were based on Earth in historical situations as Doctor Who is/was a childrens show and had to be educational as well as entertaining. In effect, it's right back to it's roots.

I love the new show, and as I've already said I have been into the classic show since I was a little kid in the early 70's. It certainly hasn't ruined my memories of the classic show, in fact it just expands upon it.

If it was the same old thing (which is why it got cancelled over here) NOBODY other than die hard fans would watch it. As it is, it's hugely popular. Hats off to the BBC.

Absolutely it has moved away from its origins. Of course there have always been episodes on Earth, but that was never the mainstay of the series. The Hartnell era was meant to be more of a kids history type TV show, so it made sense. But even then, he got off planet more than the new ones do. But that notwithstanding, the mainstay of the show has always been for him to roam the universe and time, not to just stay on Earth.

As for the new ones, I'm still laughing my a$$ off. Finished off all of the episodes up the climax of the final episode, what a joke. His freaking hand is part of the TARDIS? The Doctor is reduced down to some Dobby the house elf looking thing by The Master? I love the whole "nooooooooooo!" as The Master dies in his arms, give me a break. But then The Master comes back as some kind of cannibalistic vampire or something? Really? Wow.......Then they prevent his regeneration just so that Tennant can stay the Doctor, but then immediately have him regenerate in the next episode so that the new guy can take over? Donna is now part Doctor Who because she absorbed some of him through his detached hand?? OMFG, the daughter of the Doctor? "Oh daddy!!!" An "alternate" Doctor now exists who is mortal (because he was resurrected or something separately) and goes off to live with Rose?

Guys seriously, all of my previous ranting and raving notwithstanding, the subsequent shows have just reduced the show down to some really BAD b-movie grade sci-fi show. It's horrible. While the old shows had crappy production values, at least they had some fairly decent writing. It seems like the mainstay of the new series is all written by the same guy and they are just bad. Even if I had never watched any of the original shows and went into this open minded, it's still a horrible show. I can't believe the BBC allows this to continue.

I keep watching it out of morbid curiosity to see how bad it is. More power to you suckers who want to keep watching this drivel, it's pathetic

Modified by MeineFolks'wagen at 5:29 PM 1-11-2010

Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

Check out my really basic Fiat 500 board and let me know what you think: http://fiatcinquecento.freeforums.net/

Vehicles
      '11 Prius, '13 Rav4, '98 C2500 454 Burp
      01-11-2010 01:33 PM #78
      i've stayed out of this but come on... If it's really that bad then you shouldn't be watching it. Otherwise you're just fooling yourself because you're hooked one way or another.

Doctor Who is one show that I don't think the canon matters much for. The basic premise is the same, just a little different to adapt to what people like to watch these days.

My $.02 and only contribution to this silly debate.

<insert comment here>

Vehicles
      01-11-2010 05:03 PM #79
      MeineFolks'wagen, if you hate it that much just use the button below.

You have the power, the power of the remote.

To keep my VW 100% original, I inflate my tyres with compressed air imported from Germany.

Vehicles
      01-16-2010 09:24 PM #80
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      01-17-2010 12:14 AM #81
      Gah! That shirt needs to arrive now! I ordered it on 1/1, it "shipped" on 1/6, and still hasn't gotten here. I ordered some other shirts from Think Geek on the same day, and those arrived on the 11th. I think I know where I'll stick to for shirts from now on.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

01-17-2010 06:36 AM #82
      Doctor Who does Comedy Relief.

Nice! I've seen the other two videos before, but not the one with Rowan Atkinson.

Gah! That shirt needs to arrive now! I ordered it on 1/1, it "shipped" on 1/6, and still hasn't gotten here. I ordered some other shirts from Think Geek on the same day, and those arrived on the 11th. I think I know where I'll stick to for shirts from now on.

ThinkGeek is awesome! My wife bought me this shirt on ThinkGeek:

Vehicles
      01-17-2010 07:58 PM #84
      Quote, originally posted by JimmyD »
      ThinkGeek is awesome! My wife bought me this shirt on ThinkGeek:

I think that will be the next shirt I buy.

~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      01-18-2010 01:25 AM #85

~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      01-23-2010 09:08 PM #86
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      01-26-2010 07:23 PM #88
      I'd exterminate all over all three of them.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

02-04-2010 11:39 AM #90
      I'm curious if others who post in this thread are as lucky as I am to have retail stores with a lot of Who-niverse stuff available?

The greater Chicago-land area (where I'm at), seems to be a very Doctor Who friendly area!

Located within 45 minutes of my house are both of these stores:

The Doctor Who Store at Alien Entertainment

White Wizard Toys

Alien Entertainment is actually the company who sponsors the local Doctor Who convention Chicago Tardis which is an annual 3 day convention with many guest speakers and celebrities from Doctor Who, Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Chronicles.

>>>> PICTURES from Chicago Tardis

They have vendors like Big Finish and other Doctor Who specific companies, there's always a masquerade ball where people dress up and there's always a live performance from the guys at Mysterious Theatre 337.

If you haven't heard about MT337, check out their website and download some of their stuff. It's funny!

Modified by JimmyD at 10:57 AM 2-4-2010

Vehicles
      02-04-2010 08:16 PM #91
      I'm curious if others who post in this thread are as lucky as I am to have retail stores with a lot of Who-niverse stuff available?

I wish there was more available locally, but while picking up tickets for the local Comicon, I found some Doctor Who mini-figures. They seem to be some kind of game, but I just bought them to collect. Definitely checking out those links you posted though.

Oh yeah, picked up a sonic screwdriver and TARDIS four point USB hub from Think Geek too.

~Friedrich Nietzsche

02-05-2010 10:35 AM #92
      ....I found some Doctor Who mini-figures. They seem to be some kind of game, but I just bought them to collect.

Sounds like the Micro-Universe game figures.

Oh yeah, picked up a sonic screwdriver and TARDIS four point USB hub from Think Geek too.

Awesome! I want to eventually get that USB hub.

Vehicles
      02-05-2010 07:56 PM #93
      Sounds like the Micro-Universe game figures.

You would be correct.

Awesome! I want to eventually get that USB hub.

I figure when I get a second 1TB WD My Book, I can hook them up to the TARDIS and only have one USB port occupied when I back up my files.

~Friedrich Nietzsche

21. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      04-05-2010 11:19 PM #95
      Still feeling the new Dr out....not sure yet.

Vehicles
      08 NS Capital, 04+ Bianchi Pista, 06 Transition Dirtbag
      04-06-2010 01:47 AM #96
      i really like the new doctor! much better than ecclestone, that's for sure, and not too hard to accomplish.
      Although, he seems to imitate a lot of Tennant, but hopefully, that goes away as his personality is developed some more.

23. 04-06-2010 01:56 AM #97
      new sidekick is so dang cute

Vehicles
      04-06-2010 01:31 PM #98
      Didn't think I would but I really like the new Doctor but then anyone would be an improvement over Tennant. I am so glad the Tennant years are over! Oh, and I am mad crushing on the new companion.

Modified by 3Letter at 10:32 AM 4-6-2010

Vehicles
      04-06-2010 07:33 PM #99
      Quote, originally posted by 3Letter »
      Didn't think I would but I really like the new Doctor but then anyone would be an improvement over Tennant. I am so glad the Tennant years are over!

Blasphemer!

~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      04-06-2010 11:50 PM #100
      So since 4 seasons of Doctor Who are on Instant Watch Netflix, I decided to give it a shot. Now I'm definitely a fan. I may be alone here but I really liked Christopher Ecclestone. Maybe even more than Tennant. I never really believed Tennant anytime he got angry.

Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

Vehicles
      04-07-2010 12:15 AM #101
      I loved Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and at first wasn't so sure about Tennant, but I think I've grown to really love Tennants portrayal of the Doctor.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

04-07-2010 10:32 AM #102
      I agree that Eccleston was better than Tennant during "angry scenes". There was just more believable passion in the 9th Doctor's anger.

On the other hand, I think Tennant was more believable during the "zany scenes".

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      04-07-2010 11:26 AM #103
      In the last few weeks I have watched every episode since the 2005 relaunch., including all the specials. Almost all of it is available via Netflix instant. I've never watched the old ones, honestly not super interested in them (I know, blasphemer!)

I've become a HUGE fan, huge. My wife would say obsessed. Tardis wallpapers on my phone and computer, trades engine noise as my ringtone, etc.

Blink was certainly one of my favorite episodes, that one blew me away, even with so little "Doctor" in it.

I find myself using the word Clever a lot lately.

I've just started working through Torchwood, and already found links for the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I've seen the first ep with Matt Smith an honestly, he's a good Doctor imo. Is he Tennant good? Nope, but who could be? After a season of Eccleston I thought Tennant was wacky at first, but look how amazing he turned out to be?

Loved Rose, still miss her. Tolerated Martha, didn't much care for Donna, but I really like Amy Pond so far.

I think they "younged" it up a bit and honestly, it's probably the right move…. they need to appeal to that younger audience who might still see Dr. Who as their Dad's favorite show (a my wife does).

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Furthermore Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this purveyor of bleep-bloop music was in fact staging a farce.
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      04-07-2010 12:50 PM #104

Blasphemer!

I actually liked Tennant and all but compared to Tom Baker, McCoy, Pertwee and Eccolston he was like the "Jimmy Fallon" of Doctor Who (Ok, that is an extreme anology). He could sometimes be over the top and forced which is probably more related to his acting skills rather than his interpretation of the Doctor.
      I am glad that his time as the Doctor is over because that is what keeps the show fresh. I remember being very upset when Tom Baker handed over the role to Peter Davidson but I was also looking forward to where Davidson would take the character.
      I do wish Eccelston would have stayed a couple more seasons because that guy is a seriously good actor (Except for GIJOE)

Vehicles
      04-07-2010 02:14 PM #105
      I take it that none of you have seen the new Matt Smith Doctor yet. Let me tell you, the series is in safe hands. I was very impressed with the series opener 'The eleventh Hour'. Can't wait for the rest of the series. And Karen Gillan as Amy Pond, flipping heck she is GORGREOUS.

Still trying to get my head around the Spitfires flying in space on the 'coming soon' trailer. Looks cool.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast